Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Would a prototype combat android on field trials be out of the question?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Prototype Synthetic Combat Humanoid 01 (Psycho)

Aspects
High Concept Prototype Combat Android
Trouble Ghosts In The Machine
Expendable Asset
Child of Mad Science
Efficiency is Everything(?)

Skills
Strength, Athletics, Resolve, Marksmanship +4
Alertness, CQC +2

Stress
Health [][][][]
Stamina [][][][]
Will [][][][]

CONSEQUENCES
Mild
Moderate
Severe

Stunts

Alertness - Advanced Sensor Pods: Create an Advantage (no free invoke) that takes a Good +3 roll to remove once per scene

Targeting Matrix: Grant +3 to a specific action (Overcome?) using a specific skill (marksmanship?) when you pay a fate point

Switch ANY skill with a specific skill once per scene (resolve? I have detailed files)

Extras
  1. Gear
  2. Gear
  3. Gear
  4. Gear
  5. Gear
  6. Gear

Designed and built at vast expense and intended to be the first of a series of androids to take the place of human soldiers in future wars, the P.Sy.C.H.-01 found itself surplus to requirements when the contractor responsible for development sank under crippling debts after the disappearance of the lead scientist on the project. Despite the failure of the company the unit itself is a remarkable success, far outstripping known contemporary efforts to develop artificial intelligence. There are a few quirks with the first generation mind, of course, but nothing that should cripple the unit operationally. O.C.A.M. purchased the unit from one of the creditors for a modest figure and has been using it as a training drone. Short on assets for this vital mission, the Council have reluctantly authorized a field deployment for the first time.

The unit is not supposed to have likes and dislikes. But...it likes high grade lubricants, freeform jazz and high powered rifles, while expressing distaste for sand and dubstep. In it's spare time P.Sy.C.H.-01 enjoys birdwatching and advanced theoretical origami, and has petitioned to be allowed access to paper. So far all requests have been denied.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Apr 6, 2015

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz3vF_G70Ec&t=24s

Maybe the AI is just a little buggy and making things up or maybe whatever neural patterns they copied from human soldiers weren't edited thoroughly enough. Either way P.Sy.C.H.-01 is prone to phantom memories and eccentric deviations from mission parameters to try and fulfill some unstated previous objective. As a training unit this made it more useful, but in the field this unpredictability could be a serious risk.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 27, 2015

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Stamina could cover things like minor damage to internal components from overuse, draining batteries faster than they can recharge, overheating that affects AI function, fluid or dust getting into sensitive areas, those sort of things. Different problems than a human soldier faces, but with the same limiting effect on performance.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Anyone with the little grenade icon in their avatar will have PMs.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

What do you need to hear from us? Just that we're still keen?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

P.Sy.C.H.-01 Field Deployment Log - Date REDACTED

"Director, I know you are keen to intervene in this crisis but I have to remind you that O.C.A.M. has limited assets in the region and almost no support would be available from our partner agencies. Any agent we send in would have to survive the defenses that cult has in place which include, ahem, 'armed guards, booby-traps, and...is this accurate? It is? And nerve gas dispensers along the perimeter. Add in the inhospitable nature of the surrounding jungle, the unstable local authorities, and the risk to human life becomes to great for us to risk sending one agent in after another. I'm sorry. End transmission."

"Dammit. If we don't get that agent out before those cultists torture the transmission codes out of them it'll compromise operations on three continents! Well, fine. If the council won't let me risk a human life then I'll just have to work something else out. Dr Oldman, prep the robot for immediate field deployment. Outfit it for...yes. Yes, I know it hasn't been vetted for field use. We're out of options. Outfit the unit for a HALO insertion into hostile territory. Mission is hostage rescue or...or termination if rescue is impossible."

OPERATION: STEEL EAGLE

As P.Sy.C.H.-01 was hurtling towards the ground, it had time to think about the strange day it was having. All that had been scheduled was routine maintenance but instead it had been given a real mission - to rescue (or kill) an O.C.A.M agent cut off and possibly captured by a doomsday cult holed up on an island off the Pacific coastline of South America. As the variables of the parachute drop and radio chatter from the rapidly disappearing plane occupied some processing power, it started to test the bounds of the orders it was given. 'Terminate captured agent' started to slide down the priority list. By the time the 'chute opened, slowing the terminal descent to a merely bone-shattering speed, P.Sy.C.H.-01 was confident that no soldier would be left behind today. A few hopeful mosquitoes settled briefly on the android's waterproof outer shell as it began to march through the jungle to the cult compound.

(Aspect Gained: Expendable Asset)

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 1, 2015

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

The data from Operation: Coastal Lightning about the Theta Energy Consortium's reactor research was interesting, but not as interesting as one of the names of the leading researcher - Dr Allan Capek, the unstable genius involved in the development of P.Sy.C.H-01 who had disappeared and taken vast amounts of the company's research with him, was now implicated in a plot to murder leading scientists at an alternative energy conference. Agent Storm Petrel stopped the reactor from detonating but Dr Capek escaped. When Storm Petrel returned to the O.C.A.M HQ I had a number of questions for her about the encounter, but one in particular she was unable to answer: does my origin as a Child of Mad Science inevitably make me a threat to humanity? Or can I choose my own path?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

This unit...I...am not supposed to 'feel' things. That's what the technicians and engineers tell me. So when I reported satisfaction and existential validation they assumed that it was a glitch, some kind of quirk in my communications software. The deaths of the human targets did not register on an emotional level, the completion of my objective - and the fact I accomplished it without having to lose a friendly asset- was the important thing. Working with a human is...frustrating. Drones and simulations are unimaginative but comply in a predictable fashion to instructions. Humans do the reverse, making for a great deal of extra work to ensure an optimal outcome but being able to improvise without commands. Lt Silvers is a prime example. She did not seem to comprehend that she was being extracted from a hostile situation, and insisted on finishing her mission while engaging hostiles in hand-to-hand combat. However, this made our escape more...satisfying when after defeating the sniper we were able to secure the release of other hostages, including the daughter of the President of Curuguay. As a soldier she is reckless and inefficient, allowing emotional priorities to jeopardize the mission. But that is what makes her a good person, I think. As a machine, Efficiency is Everything(?), and any suggestion that my 'feelings' should outweigh that is...illogical.

It feels good to have a proper comrade, though.

:mitt:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

I'm working on some stunts but I'm flailing around a bit here. Any thoughts on these/some other things that might work? Basically I want to emulate classic pop-culture fighting robots, Robocop, the T-800, that sort of thing. (Yes they're both sort of cyborgs but you get what I mean)

Alertness? - Advanced Sensor Pods: Create an Advantage (no free invoke) that takes a Good +3 roll to remove once per scene.

Targeting Matrix: Grant +3 to a specific action (Attack) using a specific skill (Marksmanship) when you pay a fate point.

I Have Detailed Files: Switch ANY skill with a specific skill (Resolve) once per scene at the cost of a fate point (The neural network dredges up some skill that was previously unaccounted for. Who programmed that in?)

Hyper-alloy Combat Chassis: Use a specific skill (Athletics) in a way that lets you ignore multiple laws of physics human limitations once per scene (Not needing to breathe, able to lift heavy objects or fall long distances)

Edit, OK, changed IHDF and added another idea.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 7, 2015

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Just to clarify, can Psycho make it to the guard post without running the spotlight gauntlet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

craashed my bike today so I may not be up fr much posting.

• Locked thread