Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I sit around amazed sometimes that the rest of the world actually gets up and drags their rotting sack of flesh several miles into a office with other sacks and deal with each other for no good reason other than "that's how we've always done it." It's been 18 months now and my life is so much better now with all that time & energy I'm not spending going there and back and listening to other stupid assholes. Why do we continue to do this as a society? What a waste.

*My job is computer janitor though so the joke may be on me all the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

i work from a cabin in the woods, where i craft lovely posts like these for a ridiculous hourly wage

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
what the hell is a computer janitor

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
It's not like I can blow dudes over the phone, dipshit.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its because most people are incompetent lazy idiots who would do even less at home than they would with babysitters to force them to do the bare minimum, OP

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

lol people have to go work in an office so they can be micromanaged about showing up on time, otherwise the manager would have to do their job and pay attention to their employee's work output quality and be responsible for firing them if they are poo poo

Orkin Mang posted:

what the hell is a computer janitor

kids spend $200k on a degree with aspirations of achieving help desk status so they can make $15/hour and buy a mazda 3 to put their "my other car is a tardis" and "zombie apocalypse task force" stickers on. eventually they get fatter and shave their heads as they go bald, and maybe they've become a senior help desk and buy a mazda miata or a wrx. "superb handling, like a go-kart" *weighs 300lbs and the car has a visible lean and gets less than reported mpg*

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If all the white collar people who could stay home actually did it would create massive accountability issues for management and piss the gently caress out of everyone in service/blue collar industries who have to be on a physical site to do their jobs. Besides if you're a computer janitor how the gently caress do you deal with things like some schmuck spilling coffee on their keyboard or not cleaning out their PC's guts for its entire lifespan? When you get mandatory hardware upgrades do you have to go around to their houses or something?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

If all the white collar people who could stay home actually did it would create massive accountability issues for management and piss the gently caress out of everyone in service/blue collar industries who have to be on a physical site to do their jobs. Besides if you're a computer janitor how the gently caress do you deal with things like some schmuck spilling coffee on their keyboard or not cleaning out their PC's guts for its entire lifespan? When you get mandatory hardware upgrades do you have to go around to their houses or something?

modern IT is about not taking responsibility and running your department like an internal consulting firm. you manage software deployment and that's it. if you're not already on a byo hardware setup, your individual departments purchase the employees a standard laptop provided by a 3rd party vendor with a limited warranty for hardware support.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Eonwe posted:

its because most people are incompetent lazy idiots who would do even less at home than they would with babysitters to force them to do the bare minimum, OP

You're probably 100% right but this boggles me as I consider myself pretty lazy but I still put in as much/more work as everyone else who is in an office somewhere. Really makes me wonder what the hell everyone else does all day. Edit: This is probably wrong as I probably put the not lazy line way way too high like everyone's Richard Branson or something

mind the walrus posted:

Place I work for is in multiple locations so there's us that answer the phone and a whole separate group to deal with going to the actual computer to do things.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 26, 2015

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:

mind the walrus posted:

if someone breaks their pc you just reimage one of the extras you have and mail the one they broke back to the manufacturer, that's what service contracts are for

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I have to go to an office to tell people what to do and if I don't walk around looking over their shoulder I wont know they're doing it wrong because they think they're doing it right (they're not)

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I worked from home making around 40k for a year and it was amazing, I did gain a little weight though. I quit for a job making 60 where I have an hour commute each way and I can easily do my job from home and my boss never lets me because reasons.

I'm a moron for quitting that other job I could have lived anywhere in the world.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm a defense engineer and the commute to my job is so horrible that some days after work when I'm eating dinner with my mom she sits there in silence while I'm fuming. One day I'm gonna snap.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

i don't like working from home more than 3 days a week because i get bored as gently caress trying to work by myself with no one around

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Nuclearmonkee posted:

i don't like working from home more than 3 days a week because i get bored as gently caress trying to work by myself with no one around

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
We as a society just don't have even close to enough work that needs to be done to keep everyone busy for 40 hours a week. However we also believe that if you don't "work" 40 hours a week then you're deplorable welfare leech who is contributing to the downfall of society and not a very good Christian either!

Ergo everyone cares if you show up to work but nobody cares if you get any work done. Human civilization folks.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Im amazed that you're allowed to post this op

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

We as a society just don't have even close to enough work that needs to be done to keep everyone busy for 40 hours a week. However we also believe that if you don't "work" 40 hours a week then you're deplorable welfare leech who is contributing to the downfall of society and not a very good Christian either!

Ergo everyone cares if you show up to work but nobody cares if you get any work done. Human civilization folks.

this is very true. if you are a white collar worker you should try to be 30% productive at most so that your employer has to hire more people.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
the joke's on you op

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Nuclearmonkee posted:

this is very true. if you are a white collar worker you should try to be 30% productive at most so that your employer has to hire more people.

I'm doing my part, I'm posting at work (and dom4goons) right now!

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

LeoMarr posted:

Im amazed that you're allowed to post this op

Darkman Fanpage posted:

the joke's on you op

Ok? :confused:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Nuclearmonkee posted:

same. I don't work from home often since it doesnt fit with my profession but i do sometimes and usually don't get much done and am bored. I usually go 'hmmm my apartment is a little untidy, let me clean the kitchen so i have a clean environment to focus, ok hmm i have some time, let me start laundry, ok now i'm really ready to work, no wait i'll make a nice cup of early grey first, ok now let me vacuum, aight now I can work! but oh man, its such a nice day outside, maybe I should stroll over to the grocery store and do that while no one is shopping". Basically I have the option of working from home sometimes, I just choose not to since I don't get poo poo done. Besides, its only a 35 minute train ride so I can get some reading done and its not too bad.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 26, 2015

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I like going into the office and seeing my work buddies and stuff

I get bored if I'm just home for too long.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
True, true.

But I wouldn't get that Office poon so....gonna go with the office.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I go into the office when I feel like it

Aug 4, 2010

go to the office, do as little as possible, go home, repeat until dead

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
i like working from home baecause there is no physical activity that separates starting/leaving work so i can maintain a constant state of work related stress throughout the day

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

www posted:

go to the office, do as little as possible, go home, repeat until dead

Life Cycle of a Typical Human.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
idk, why do you want to do as little as possible? (unless you're janitor salary). it feels good to get poo poo done, get recognition and see things come to fruitation. winning proposals, impressing the hell out of the client, and seeing your design being constructed (or programed if you're in IT) all feels really good.

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW
Wait until you're married OP then you'll understand

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
well, yeah most office work can be done from home. I can totally do 99% of my job from home.

The issue is (from a management/company point of view) how do you make sure people are actually working? There's a lot of office work that is kind of hard to put an exact metric on and it's still important to make sure people are on task and doing a good job and whatever.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Xaris posted:

idk, why do you want to do as little as possible? (unless you're janitor salary). it feels good to get poo poo done, get recognition and see things come to fruitation. winning proposals, impressing the hell out of the client, and seeing your design being constructed (or programed if you're in IT) all feels really good.

Any plan of action that involves starting the day with personal hygiene is way more work than the reward merits.

Where do you think you're posting?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Xaris posted:

right yeah then i get a plaque with my name on it and a 3k bonus while the company makes another 10 million dollars in profit which gets mostly funneled to the upper management. it's great

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
look if i worked from home and didnt go to the office, I wouldnt do any work

oh wait Im in the office right now and I dont do any work anyway womp womp

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Xaris posted:

I'm sure in 50 years when I'm old I'll be sad I missed all those warm fuzzy feelings instead of being able to look back and be happy I did poo poo I wanted to do at home instead. Also everything about this:

Voltage posted:

I worked from home making around 40k for a year and it was amazing, I did gain a little weight though. I quit for a job making 60 where I have an hour commute each way and I can easily do my job from home and my boss never lets me because reasons.

I'm a moron for quitting that other job I could have lived anywhere in the world.

Cept the weight part I lost 15lbs cause I can have better food instead of having to brown bag.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Chomp8645 posted:

Ah yes the crabs in a bucket conundrum. People are retarded and miserable and the smartest thing to do is get as much for yourself as possible while jacking off on all they am faces

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
also to be fair, I'm a helpdesk computer janitor so my "job" is 90% goofing off on the internet, 10% actual work

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

well, yeah most office work can be done from home. I can totally do 99% of my job from home.

The issue is (from a management/company point of view) how do you make sure people are actually working? There's a lot of office work that is kind of hard to put an exact metric on and it's still important to make sure people are on task and doing a good job and whatever.

this is wild but you can talk to your employees and engage them in conversation about the work they are doing

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
All of my subordinates work from home at night and on the weekends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I could do most of my work from home, and I'd prolly come in like once a week for meetings or w/e. I also wouldn't work 8-5 because what is that poo poo?

• Locked thread