Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Like say you have a strong smelling candle. Over time will it have less mass because it smells? I don't understand simple science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 4, 2010

do farts have mass

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

www posted:

do farts have mass

One weird diet trick they don't want you to know

krustysean
Dec 25, 2014
Yes, farts do have mass. Walking into one of mine is like running into a brick wall

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

www posted:

do farts have mass

Pretty sure they do cause it's gas n that.

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
yes

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
If you smell a fart it's because your lungs literally have aerosolised poo poo in them.

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

concerned mom posted:

Like say you have a strong smelling candle. Over time will it have less mass because it smells? I don't understand simple science.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapor_pressure#Solids

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yes, but your nose requires such a small amount of a given compound in order to "smell" it that any loss of mass would be nearly impossible to detect. For example hydrogen sulfide is the compound in stinkbombs that makes them smell bad, which is lethal in small doses. The reason it smells so awful is because that's your nose and brain telling you "get the gently caress away from this", and it takes a miniscule amount of the stuff to trigger that perception. I'm only serious-posting on the matter because I work in a lab that focuses on human perception of smell and taste :eng101:

Dr. Snuggles
Dec 3, 2012

Tbh some of us (Pick) use this website more than others and I feel that I am unfairly subsidizing picks posting. Unless some kind of fee by post usage is enabled were basically instituting a forced welfare state of posting.
speak for yourself im a breatharian and i live off cow farts.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

www posted:

do farts have mass

mAss Effect

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
*posts Elijah Wood's monologue about stinky bathrooms from The Ice Storm*

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
everything has mass ya dummy

Breetai posted:

If you smell a fart it's because your lungs literally have aerosolised poo poo in them.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

What about photons?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Amarcarts posted:

What about photons?

imaginary things don't count

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

Okay what about helium doesn't that have negative mass?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Amarcarts posted:

Okay what about helium doesn't that have negative mass?

nope

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, in the same way that foam soaking into the sand in the beach is the ocean giving off mass

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

Yes, but your nose requires such a small amount of a given compound in order to "smell" it that any loss of mass would be nearly impossible to detect. For example hydrogen sulfide is the compound in stinkbombs that makes them smell bad, which is lethal in small doses. The reason it smells so awful is because that's your nose and brain telling you "get the gently caress away from this", and it takes a miniscule amount of the stuff to trigger that perception. I'm only serious-posting on the matter because I work in a lab that focuses on human perception of smell and taste :eng101:

Thanks you're a real OG

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Breetai posted:

this is true

all odors are particulate

u sp33k l33t br0
Sep 12, 2007

Who Doesn't Like Intercourse?
Soiled Meat
how much does fire weigh?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Borommakott posted:

how much does fire weigh?

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Amarcarts posted:

What about photons?

they got mass dummy its just they also dont because of the speed theyre going at things get weird

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

what about thoughts

what is the mass of love, Mumpy Puffinz??? Is it more massive than hate?!

itsgotmetoo
Oct 5, 2006

by zen death robot
so the less i bathe the more weight i will lose?

Daviclond
May 20, 2006

Bad post sighted! Firing.

Breetai posted:

yeah but bc of phase equilibria the composition of the smelly vapour is nothing like the composition of the poop itself so this is kind of misleading. poop.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

itsgotmetoo posted:

so the less i bathe the more weight i will lose?

yes, I'm also selling a supplement that helps enhance your stench factor by up to 50 times! pm me/check out my non-existent sa mart thread for more details.

it might LOOK like just a bag of manure, but trust me, the results will astound u...

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
it gives off rear end

Maniac Pahis
Nov 3, 2010

by Ralp

1gnoirents posted:

they got mass dummy its just they also dont because of the speed theyre going at things get weird

no they don't

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Daviclond posted:

yeah but bc of phase equilibria the composition of the smelly vapour is nothing like the composition of the poop itself so this is kind of misleading. poop.
What's misleading? It was in someones butthole literally a second before and now its all in your nose and lungs and mouth.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

zedprime posted:

What's misleading? It was in someones butthole literally a second before and now its all in your nose and lungs and mouth.

not everything in a butt is poop (ie telephones, dolphins)

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
rear end-gas mass

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

C-Euro posted:

Please make an effort thread. I wanna read about this kinda of stuff

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

1gnoirents posted:

why is the universe all hosed up at the extremes instead of just neat and orderly

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Aztec posted:

Please make an effort thread. I wanna read about this kinda of stuff

No post here I'm gunning for that top thread award.

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

curiously on the corpse.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

why is the universe all hosed up at the extremes instead of just neat and orderly

actually the universe is probably neat and orderly at the extremes and gets hosed up in the middle

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

tuyop posted:

what about thoughts

what is the mass of love, Mumpy Puffinz??? Is it more massive than hate?!

maybe

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

curiously on the corpse.

Maniac Pahis posted:

no they don't
photons have mass inside a superconductor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verily carefree