Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
I have a serious political opinion about an arbitrary percentage

*picks a percentage that is inaccurate to the "problem" and just creates more division than making a legitimate point*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
I swung by the local OWS camp a few times, day one and two it had a good turnout then quickly became a place for 10-15 permanently unemployed fibro suffering tumblr trust fund kids to hang out all the time, I once got to watch them lecture each other about privilege because one tried to give another a flier and stressed it was super important to look over and the poor first party felt stressed and unwelcomed by the aggressive overture.

It's like yea so I just came by after working a 10 hour shift and you've all been here loving with Twitter all day. I don't support this.

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

The histrionic drum circle transsexual that regularly derailed activist circles and nearly ended OWS owned

quote:

Unfortunately there is one individual who is NOT a drummer but who claims to speak for the drummers who has been a deeply disruptive force, attacking the drumming rep during the GA and derailing his proposal, and disrupting the community board meeting, as well as the OWS community relations meeting. She has also created strife and divisions within the POC caucus, calling many members who are not ‘on her side' "Uncle Tom", "the 1%", "Barbie" "not Palestinian enough" "Wall Street politicians" "not black enough" "sell-outs", etc. People have been documenting her disruptions, and her campaign of misinformation, and instigations. She also has a documented history online of defamatory, divisive and disruptive behavior within the LGBT (esp. transgender) communities. Her disruptions have made it hard to have constructive conversations and productive resolutions to conflicts in a variety of forums in the past several days.

http://gawker.com/5852992/is-the-drum-circle-about-to-kill-occupy-wall-street

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

The Houston oWS was literally 50% undercover dhs/fbi/local pd.

No poo poo. Nearly every local Occupy was infiltrated. For being so dismissive, the gov was purty scared about the whole ordeal.

In my city we all hung out, discussed, made friends, made love. We didn't accomplish anything tangible but then we went on to do this. Also nearly everyone has stuck to activism and protest. We are at the forefront of the anti-fracking movement and generally bash both lovely parties every chance we get.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
I went to the ows meetings in new Orleans and it was pathetic. It was a bunch of bickering over problems that didn't matter. One guy was using it to just push his agenda. He really wanted to rename the park to Avery Alexander Park and would take over the meeting every time with that bullshit! I stopped going because of him.

We did manage to have a lunch one day and fed a lot of homeless guys so that was good.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Frijolero posted:

No poo poo. Nearly every local Occupy was infiltrated. For being so dismissive, the gov was purty scared about the whole ordeal.

In my city we all hung out, discussed, made friends, made love. We didn't accomplish anything tangible but then we went on to do this.

Did any of you win? Or at least get more then five percent of the vote?

Eustachy
May 7, 2013

huskarl_marx posted:

also lol @ the fascists in this thread saying "the only thing this anti-authoritarian movement needs is a strong centralized authority!"
the only thing disorganized mobs accomplish is being stinky

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

Eustachy posted:

the only thing disorganized mobs accomplish is being stinky

agreed. they needed more timothy mcveigh and less timothy-the-gay, imho

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo

Agag posted:

Well lets see, of the three things named one introduced modern labor laws to the developed world, the other constitutes half the US political duopoly, and the third is a giant punchline of people getting raped and beaten in a park.

:shrug:

ows at least moved the overton window slightly back to the left so that issues like income inequality can actually be discussed in our nation's political discourse which is more than dems or unions have accomplished in decades

ows was just about useless and yet, not as useless as unions and the dems of today :shrug:

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Cyberball 2072 posted:

I swung by the local OWS camp a few times, day one and two it had a good turnout then quickly became a place for 10-15 permanently unemployed fibro suffering tumblr trust fund kids to hang out all the time, I once got to watch them lecture each other about privilege because one tried to give another a flier and stressed it was super important to look over and the poor first party felt stressed and unwelcomed by the aggressive overture.

It's like yea so I just came by after working a 10 hour shift and you've all been here loving with Twitter all day. I don't support this.

Because local police let the OWS tent city here stay up for so long, it slowly shifted from 20-something, middle class, white protesters trying (and failing) to change the world, to all of the city's mentally ill, deranged and dangerous homeless population taking up residence in the camp. The tent city actually had segregation and good/bad "neighborhoods" within it. An elite 1% of OWS protestors if you will, not willing to live next to the homeless/crazy masses.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

let's drum circle our problems away

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Are people still really saying OWS had no goals or message? The main goal was clear, get money out of politics. In concrete terms this would be regulated campaign funding, no private donations and funded by taxes, no helping pass legislation then immediately retiring to cushy middle management, no filling your chamber of commerce with bankers, that kinda stuff. They had a bunch of other misc goals and demands like relief of student debt or w/e but making it so the government wasn't so readily manipulated by the wealthiest people was the main thing and you are straight up retarded if you did not pick that up.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

Pawn 17 posted:

The tent city actually had segregation and good/bad "neighborhoods" within it. An elite 1% of OWS protestors if you will, not willing to live next to the homeless/crazy masses.

lmao

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Boner Zone posted:

ows at least moved the overton window slightly back to the left so that issues like income inequality can actually be discussed in our nation's political discourse which is more than dems or unions have accomplished in decades

ows was just about useless and yet, not as useless as unions and the dems of today :shrug:

Ten million people in America have health insurance right now because of Obamacare, you stupid rear end in a top hat.

ArbitraryC posted:

Are people still really saying OWS had no goals or message? The main goal was clear, get money out of politics. In concrete terms this would be regulated campaign funding, no private donations and funded by taxes, no helping pass legislation then immediately retiring to cushy middle management, no filling your chamber of commerce with bankers, that kinda stuff. They had a bunch of other misc goals and demands like relief of student debt or w/e but making it so the government wasn't so readily manipulated by the wealthiest people was the main thing and you are straight up retarded if you did not pick that up.

I thought their main thing was income inequality?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Whiskey Sours posted:

Canada has two communist parties: the Communist Party of Canada and the Communist Party of Canada (Marxist-Leninist). And between the two of them they've accomplished just as much as Occupy Wall Street did.

you forgot the Revolutionary Communist Party of Canada:
http://www.pcr-rcp.ca/

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

boom boom boom posted:

I thought their main thing was income inequality?
It's something they wanted to address yeah but the way they wanted to do this was through money having less influence on policy.

Foid One
Mar 2, 2015

by Ralp

boom boom boom posted:

Ten million people in America have health insurance right now because of Obamacare, you stupid rear end in a top hat.

Lol. OP is this true?

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.
OWS had good and cool goals but this high point For me with Protests movement was an 18-year old girl with a chronic respiratory issue who was willing to put wheels on her oxygen tank and wheel it around every Saturday morning at the local farmers market to ask people if they could support a non-discrimination ordinance being proposed in the city limits. Seeing as she got me to support it and work as an activist for it and the ordinance only passed by 2 votes the organization and expectations OWS was pushing seemed juvinile in comparison. It's people asking for money to leave politics and student loans to be forgiven by occupying a space vs. people getting out every Saturday morning to get out supporting a concrete if realistic policy.

Bifner McDoogle fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 31, 2015

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
occupy Tunisia worked better, lets do it that way next time:

Bolek
May 1, 2003

"We were infiltrated and undermined by cops, that's why our unfunded, unorganized, unrealistic camp out didnt magic away the largest concentration of political power to ever exist" -hell morons

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

Foid One posted:

Lol. OP is this true?

Nope.

It's 17 million people.

No seriously check page 2 of the CBO report for more statiatics that i definitely don't obsessively follow

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

President Kucinich posted:

Now someone post that hilarious clip of a bunch of incompetent protesting students getting ushered out of a cafeteria/library.

Edit: Justine Tunney.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q6KAg6qEGY

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Kill all police

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Boner Zone posted:

So organizing to the extent that could could actually change laws and institutions is bad. Dancing around in the park and starting a meme is good. Check.

This "free your mind" poo poo, or even worse the goony "its all bullshit, man" cop out, is why there is no left in North America. Euros still do all the union/commie/mass strike stuff so the government is still a least a tiny bit scared of them. The only North Americans willing to get organized are the kind if meatheads who become cops or soldiers. Sorry hippies, eat riot club.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

im the unrelated video from 2009

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

etalian posted:

even better the whole concept was appropriated from arabs.

i guess leftists have a problem with originality.

Cunning plan
-steal whole idea from arabs
-camp overnight
-have lame protests and use hand wave votes to create a list of demands
-expect rest of country to feel bad when police finally attack and destroy the filthy camps
yeah I'm sure the Arabs were real offended by that

they love big wall street banks lol

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

etalian posted:

even better the whole concept was appropriated from arabs.

this but ironically

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Stoic Commie posted:

this but ironically

even better they appropriated the concept from arabs, while lacking the level of courage, balls and successfully marshaling people from all groups of society as seen in arab spring.

Also OWS didn't have any kickass Rome Total War mega-battles like in Arab Spring.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

etalian posted:

even better they appropriated the concept from arabs

lol

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
The one in Madison became a homeless camp, then the local government argued what to do with it.

Later Scott Walker was re-elected 3 or 4 times.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Arian_Samurai posted:

The one in Madison became a homeless camp, then the local government argued what to do with it.

Later Scott Walker was re-elected 3 or 4 times.

don't vote for a corrupt government, just hand wiggle your problems away.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I remember this.

There was also stuff like this going around with the Dems.

Who can forget that the whole OWS movement was the evolved form of the Tea Party?

Bifner McDoogle posted:

Nope.

It's 17 million people.

No seriously check page 2 of the CBO report for more statiatics that i definitely don't obsessively follow
Sounds good.
I guess knocking five million people off their original healthcare plans, restricting access to the number of available doctors/plans, and implementing progressively higher penalties to coerce people to sign up, does pay off.:golfclap:

Eustachy
May 7, 2013
libruls seem to have infinite amount of spare money to spend on kickstarters and patreons, seems like people should have been able to fund some grassroots organizing or candidates. Oh but voting never changes anything man.... thats why the cohort with the largest voter turnout gets all of their political wishes respected by both parties and the cohorts with the lowest turnout are ignored by both parties and ridiculed in the media. because its way too hard when you are unemployed and smoke weed all the time to go to the polls unless its something about getting to smoke more weed

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Unnngh that's the stuff.

Much disorganization. Great consensus.

"Excuse me, brutality here."

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo

boom boom boom posted:

i'll give you obamacare as the dems greatest accomplishment in decades and we're lucky to have it, and yet it's an absolutely lovely excuse for healthcare reform that cements corporate welfare in the healthcare industry into place while still managing to leave 30 million uninsured

the democratic party has been a loving joke for a long time now, it's followed the republicans of all people so far to the right that it's greatest accomplishment is getting heritage foundation reform considered some kind of great achievement of leftism

thank gently caress for all the stupid hippies exerting some kind of pressure on the democratic party from the left because we all know drat well if some kind of popular movement didn't show up at least for a while to express these views that the dems would be completely ignoring them and going full throttle towards implementing even more GOP positions of yesteryear

stump collector
May 28, 2007

President Kucinich posted:

Unnngh that's the stuff.

Much disorganization. Great consensus.

"Excuse me, brutality here."

lmao

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hillary '16 we can do it you guys I know we can

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
OWS was pretty loving useless overall, but I will give credit where it's due. Even a dumb tent city full of rape and vandalism is better than just sitting at a computer tweeting and 'signal boosting' the SJW outrage of the week.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I didn't pay much attention to it at the time because lol but was the image in their op the logo? Because if so that bull isn't even in Wall Street

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

jackyl posted:

I didn't pay much attention to it at the time because lol but was the image in their op the logo? Because if so that bull isn't even in Wall Street

That was the image ran in Adbusters Magazine that started the Occupy movement.

• Locked thread