Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

amityville anus posted:

Academia is a bigger loving joke than OWS was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

haha. pack it up everyone OWS won. these guys pay banks for bad debts and then forgive them. 32 million down and only a few trillion to go.

it's the kind of feel good nothing that perfectly fits OWS

It's better than the Government giving banks triple the value of the debt and then garnishing wages.

Foid One
Mar 2, 2015

by Ralp

Nagato posted:

I think the fact that this came out of it means OWS is a success.

http://rollingjubilee.org/

Obviously it was never going to "destroy capitalism"

Let the market sort it out, a private sector solution to a systemic problem :D modern libs have done it again :D bepis!

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
I would have loved to have been a police officer breaking up the OWS. I get a hard-on just thinking about billy-clubbing all those fuckboi protestors.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I went to the OWS in Philadelphia, they took 3 hours to decide on a flyer design. There is such a thing as too much democracy.

Then the mayor had them forcibly moved to an empty lot between some crackhouses, the dreadlocked white kids got scared and the homeless people went to smoke crack. End of OWS.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I kind of felt bad for anyone going to this because I knew the people they were rallying against would be looking down on them from their expensive towers, and laughing at the ants dancing for their amusement. They were never in any danger.

I think freedom to protest has ironically backfired in America, horribly. Because everyone thinks they are doing something if they go march up and down a street and wave a sign around, when after the 70s, America learned if you just ignore that poo poo - it goes away.

The only way people ever feel compelled to act in any meaningful way beyond chanting slogans to a deaf audience is if they're not allowed to so the pressure builds up. I think any 3rd world country that immediately wants to gets a populace under control should encourage them to take to the streets - when they get tired/bored, if they're being allowed to be there and not forced out, it all goes away with a wet fart.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 31, 2015

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
lol @ anyone who says the OWS kids went through anything. They were weak-willed punks even by American standards.

Suffragists were beaten, raped, force fed, and jailed for their beliefs.

Civil Rights organizers literally trained the footsoldiers to take beatings and be spit on before they went to an actual protest. Rosa Parks was a strategically placed agent for the bus boycott kickoff.

In the Nisqually Fishing War Billy Frank Jr. was arrested and beaten 51 times. He even went out to illegally fish after the cops shot him in the gut.

AIM mobilized and directly fought the Goon Squad after their houses were firebombed and their members were shot.

The IWW funded leftist wars and got into armed conflicts with members of the police and the American Legion. "Soapboxing" was originally a strategy to overcrowd prisons on purpose so Wobblies could get fed in prison and disrupt the system by eating up resources.

OWS kids got pepper sprayed and arrested, dispersed and cried.

EDIT: All those historic groups were also infiltrated and spied on by the government. Still got poo poo done because they knew that their causes were worth dying for.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Razorwired posted:

lol @ anyone who says the OWS kids went through anything. They were weak-willed punks even by American standards.

Suffragists were beaten, raped, force fed, and jailed for their beliefs.

Civil Rights organizers literally trained the footsoldiers to take beatings and be spit on before they went to an actual protest. Rosa Parks was a strategically placed agent for the bus boycott kickoff.

In the Nisqually Fishing War Billy Frank Jr. was arrested and beaten 51 times. He even went out to illegally fish after the cops shot him in the gut.

AIM mobilized and directly fought the Goon Squad after their houses were firebombed and their members were shot.

The IWW funded leftist wars and got into armed conflicts with members of the police and the American Legion. "Soapboxing" was originally a strategy to overcrowd prisons on purpose so Wobblies could get fed in prison and disrupt the system by eating up resources.

OWS kids got pepper sprayed and arrested, dispersed and cried.

EDIT: All those historic groups were also infiltrated and spied on by the government. Still got poo poo done because they knew that their causes were worth dying for.

tell us more detailed tales of civil disobedience friend.

that poo poo gets washed out of history so i am always happy to read about it

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

I hate Occupy because every single loving amateur film festival I've been to in the past few years has had an entry from someone who made a :effort: video of their idiot friends dancing around outside the 2012 RNC convention.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
The rally in DC stormed the Smithsonian Air and Space museum and got it shut down for the day as a result.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Pauline Kael posted:

I'd also like to say, I fondly remember the ebullient circle jerking that went on in D&D over OWS. Anyone who dared express the notion that maybe this wasn't the beginning of the inevitable communist revolution was declared an enemy of said revolution and gently caress you dad you just don't understand
I think they went so far as to organize infiltrating Tea Party events and intentionally disrupt them with racist signs and being rowdy goons. They probably also listed names of goons who reported their activities in advance, to the authorities. poo poo was hosed.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
20-somethings one or two years out of college subconsciously realise they dropped six figures on a worthless arts degree and protest about people who they believe hosed them out of permanent job

lmao

the closest OWS ever came to getting traction was when the Archbishop of Canterbury started acknowledging it on air and TV, and even then it was still a long shot from achieving anything

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

School Nickname posted:

20-somethings one or two years out of college subconsciously realise they dropped six figures on a worthless arts degree and protest about people who they believe hosed them out of permanent job

lmao

the closest OWS ever came to getting traction was when the Archbishop of Canterbury started acknowledging it on air and TV, and even then it was still a long shot from achieving anything

It made the Democratic party alter their propaganda a bit for a couple years

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Razorwired posted:

That's the key right there, you have to mean business. OWS did't mean business.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Hector Beerlioz posted:

The rally in DC stormed the Smithsonian Air and Space museum and got it shut down for the day as a result.

Why the gently caress would they do that?

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Testikles posted:

Yea why would the people who shut down parks kids liked to go to try to shut down another public place kids liked?

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Pile of human wreckage "RonMexicosPitbull" makes unironic "think of the children" argument

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Tezzor posted:

i doubt that's true

It wasn't. Goons were pretty down on it (as they are about basically everything). A lot of people were saying how dumb it was not to start it on a Friday since everyone would obviously go home as soon as the weekend ended.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Dr_Amazing posted:

It wasn't. Goons were pretty down on it (as they are about basically everything). A lot of people were saying how dumb it was not to start it on a Friday since everyone would obviously go home as soon as the weekend ended.

Being down on it happened but in dnd it was hazardous to your forums account. "Concern trolling" was what they called it

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Scalding Coffee posted:

I think they went so far as to organize infiltrating Tea Party events and intentionally disrupt them with racist signs and being rowdy goons. They probably also listed names of goons who reported their activities in advance, to the authorities. poo poo was hosed.

tea party is literally rich dude funded astroturf

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
camping is fun so at least they got that part right

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Tezzor posted:

Pile of human wreckage "RonMexicosPitbull" makes unironic "think of the children" argument

"gently caress YOU TEZZOR"

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Being down on it happened but in dnd it was hazardous to your forums account. "Concern trolling" was what they called it

Perish the thought

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Top City Homo posted:

so's half the protest movements in the western world

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Triple A posted:

so's half the protest movements in the western world

how illuminating

such as??????

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

occupy needed a strong leader, like lenin

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

TEAYCHES posted:

occupy needed a strong leader, like lenin

lenin's corpse

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Testikles posted:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...0x2VL_blog.html

Apparently it was because the museum had drones on display.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
You'd have to be pretty stupid not to have supported the basic idea of OWS, but the movement was pretty much a giant disorganized mess that excelled at alienating people and burning out activists

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Top City Homo posted:

Or is it rich dudes with money capitalizing on a popular groundswell of extreme right-wing views?

Its why the American the fringe right has a voice in mainstream politics and the fringe left doesn't.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

after 30 years of pretty much zero organized left and anarchists having a ton of influence over ows its hardly surprising it went how it did

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i guess one has to always say "there are some good anarchist writers" but they are dogshit at building movements and they attract a lot of dogshit white people

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
The Tea Party is fake astroturf is always funny to me because its such transparent envy. Sorry you are salty we have rich people who support us. You do too just throw in some poo poo for unions you'll literally be paid to protest.

RonMexicosPitbull fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 1, 2015

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
It makes perfect sense for billionaires to fund white trash asslickers who will kiss their ring, and not a bunch of surly college babies who want to overthrow the capitalist system as long as no heavy lifting is involved.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
*Large percentages of Americans support the Tea Party in polls, show up for meetings(not wrecking the place and actually going home to their families!!!!), and made their feelings known voting wise so much so that they now have their own caucus*

"Obviously astroturf its all fake"

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

TEAYCHES posted:

i guess one has to always say "there are some good anarchist writers" but they are dogshit at building movements and they attract a lot of dogshit white people

Didn't anarchists used to blow poo poo up? What happened to them?

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Occupy Wall Street was dumb.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

unions are outspent by corporate $$$ ten to one, and unions want nothing to do with an organized left

boom boom boom posted:

Didn't anarchists used to blow poo poo up? What happened to them?

ouroboros of identity politics

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

*Large percentages of Americans support the Tea Party in polls, show up for meetings(not wrecking the place and actually going home to their families!!!!), and made their feelings known voting wise so much so that they now have their own caucus*

"Obviously astroturf its all fake"

The tea party is indistinguishable from mainstream republicanism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

• Locked thread