Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
Squidbillies is a better example of what i said. I loving love squidbillies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

i love king of the hill and i am from a european city. some of you think way too much about things that dont matter and also seek to organize the world in ways that dont really work outside of the internet.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Even then I don't think so. I'm not from the rural southeast nor have I even been there until this year but I found Squidbillies accessible and enjoyable enough.

Really it comes down to how flexible you can be seeing a milieu you're not familiar with instead of going "lol nerd poo poo" or "lol bro poo poo" or "lol South poo poo" like some sort-of scrub.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
Actually you're incapable of "getting" king of the hill if unless youre from the south and if you say you do you're obviously lying for attention and it's pathetic.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Tsinava posted:

Actually you're incapable of "getting" king of the hill if unless youre from the south and if you say you do you're obviously lying for attention and it's pathetic.

- a completely sane person who definitely doesn't shake and drool if he's away from a screen for more than 3 minutes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tsinava posted:

Can we get this guy and Jagister (sic) into a cage match? I'd pay for that.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
Lmao people from cali who "get" king of the hill. Yeah. Okay. Thats a thing.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
One of my friends got really mad at KOTH and stopped watching because it made fun of a liberal once. Its my favorite show and yea you need to live or be from the South to 100% appreciate the subtleties a lot of shows are like that.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

loads of goons can probably imagine what its like to be an ork or a space marine or a character in game of thrones, well, a lot of people read regular books as well as fantasy/sci-fi, and the skillset required to put yourself in somebody elses place and draw on their experiences rather than your own is transferable.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
Im offended that you think i dont understand this cartoon

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

i am severely butthurt!!

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
It's okay dude its just cartoons

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

mind the walrus posted:

Can we get this guy and Jagister (sic) into a cage match? I'd pay for that.

im sorry but Jagister is currently melting down about :

MLM
Republicans
Baby boomers
Fats
Doobie
Fast Food
etc.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Its pretty funny. Sorry about your taste in comedy.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Having lived in the south a couple decades now I can say the KotH does a good job conveying the fact that hicks are dim and boring, and occasionally one of them will have an "Epiphany" where they are overwhelmed by a thought that most people with a GED would take for granted as a simple truth. Why anyone would watch a show about that for more than five minutes, I can't imagine. Well. unless they're from the south.

Archer is okay though, for the fist couple seasons.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I hate King of the Hill. It's the same five jokes over and over again.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tsinava posted:

when i first saw the rodeo clown episode i had no idea what the gently caress but a few years later the show clicked for me and its p good. the cultural stuff is insanely specific but the characters are extremely good

if you haven't met peggy and cotton irl you haven't lived

quakster fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Mar 31, 2015

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
who loving gives a poo poo op

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I enjoy it but I understand why people wouldn't and I don't think there is anything wrong with no liking it.

There isn't enough time in the day to watch everything people like anyway.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
:firstpost:

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

iTS NOT A GOOD SHOW

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

king of the hill is funny no matter where you are from, the south isn't some impenetrable esoteric culture

we get it, he likes grills and steaks

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

nno no when a southern lady tell you to have a good day it rlly mean shse doesnt like you!!!!! 8mind blown*

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED
archers about as funny as louis ck.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

archer has a sweet spot of seasons 2-3 being really good but everything else is kind of lame or lacking

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor
I'm from the south and I love those shows, South Africa that is, please send electricity, ours ran out.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

The last few seasons haven't been that good but I think it's mostly an issue with the formula becoming bland.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp

quakster posted:

when i first saw the rodeo clown episode i had no idea what the gently caress but a few years later the show clicked for me and its p good. the cultural stuff is insanely specific but the characters are extremely good

if you haven't met peggy and cotton irl you haven't lived

This guy gets it

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I think it's okay, but not that funny. I haven't watched in episode in a few years so maybe it has gotten better.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

texas isnt the south, its texas, hth

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
sealab 2021 > frisky dingo >>>>>>> archer

Archer isn't terrible but most people that rave about it haven't seen frisky dingo and have never heard of sealab which is why archer ends up being retarded

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

I don't like it.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Tsinava posted:

Lmao people from cali who "get" king of the hill. Yeah. Okay. Thats a thing.

get this bitch, those types you have in the south exist in the midwest, northeast, and pacific northwest. They just have a different accent.

e. i get it you've never been anywhere

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
yeah okay whatever.go eat a fish taco about it or something

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
when i put the tv on i don't understand what is going on, and the same can be said of when i look out my window, but looking in the mirror i know who that is, what's what. i recognize the nose, ears, mouth, the whole shebang, i get all of the references, basically, very rewarding.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

I haven't been up on Adult Swim shows since I got a job and moved out of my parent's house, but the shows that the same people behind Archer were involved in--Sealab 2021 and Frisky Dingo--had very similar formatting and animation-styles but played to the burnout/nerd crowd explicitly. Sealab took an obscure weird-rear end cartoon about a sea base and made it into the setting for absurdist riffs that could go in any direction at any time. Frisky Dingo married a serial continuity and made the absurdism far more about verbal and character interplay but was still mired in nerd conventions like an explicit Iron Man/SHIELD riff and a weird-rear end demon dude.

Archer doesn't really do anything different from those shows conceptually in terms of its humor, except for one key difference-- it's much more self-conscious and focused on winning an audience. A part of this is that the vocal talent all come from much more "mainstream" comedy which tempers the instinct of those "behind the camera" to go too obscure or experimental. The spy setting is much more "classy" and aesthetically acceptable to jocks/so-called "normal" people and all the major characters all cut very aesthetically attractive figures. The humor is often punctuated with glamorous rich living, sex with beautiful people, and violence. The memetic humor is still in the Frisky Dingo mold but with much more conventional timing and its references are to things that are much more acceptable to be a manchild about-- 80s power ballads, ocelots, RUSH, the simple knowledge that anime waifus are a thing that exists. In other words, Archer is The Who while Adult Swim cartoons are Prog Rock--there's a lot of overlap in fans but The Who are always going to be more acceptable to the average schmuck to know and quote, even if he does listen to Yes albums and The King in Crimson when no one else is around.

i wish cinema discussion chat was like this instead of some weird bizzare who can have the dumbest opinion competition

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

hemale in pain posted:

i wish cinema discussion chat was like this instead of some weird bizzare who can have the dumbest opinion competition

Yeah, what the hell Mind the Walrus, this is GBS. Dumb down your posting or get it dumbed down for you.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
I feel like the sorts of people who find Archer funny also think Adam Sandler movies are funny. Basically human trashbags.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

archer was much better before they ran out of jokes, now they're just treading water referring to the old jokes in slightly different situations

it's been getting a bit better lately with the last few episodes, as in, three or so laugh out loud moments per episode when i've been getting used to being completely silent, but the issue really is it's been going on too long. the characters are all paper thin parodies, have no secrets left and have already been pushed as far as they could go, really further in some cases. giving archer a kid was a bad idea the first time they did it, the second time completely earthing the whole archer/lana sexual tension such that it was is basically cutting a tent string, and all the secondary characters have basically been used as shock clowns and they're completely done as being able to be taken as relatable. anyone familiar with the show could predict exactly what a character would do in any situation and there's really nothing special in the technical execution that would cause you to say, yeah, but i gotta see it.

the greatest asset the show had was the world they created with the permanent cold war, swimmily-defined past setting with perma-eighties tech but they sort of spent that on making anime hologram jokes and they started giving all the characters smartphones for some goddamn reason. so now they can't do anything interesting with the setting, it's just basically present day. they had such a good thing going, it could have supported a lot more than just a show about spying, and they dissolved it all for a few cheap parody shots.

either needed a showrunner that has experience maintaining a show for a longer period or a nice satisfying climactic ending about 2-3 seasons ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
venture brothers got less funny and more stupid as well. or maybe it didn't. i stopped watching after season 2.

• Locked thread