Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Hopefully his job doesnt involve safeguarding the lives of innocent people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

the great deceiver posted:

I once had a co-worker who went to rehab for being a drunk and when he got back we threw a little party for him with a cheap sheet cake from Grocery Mart Bargain Outlet that said "Welcome Back Larry!"

I imagine Larry's life kinda sucked too

You should have rented a margarita machine.

Foid One
Mar 2, 2015

by Ralp

I once had a co-worker who went to rehab for being a drunk and when he got back we threw a little party for him with a cheap sheet cake from Grocery Mart Bargain Outlet that said "Welcome Back Larry!"

Larry's life sounds cool. Pretty fuckkng ace of his employer to send him to rehab in this day and age.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Foid One posted:

Fck off mate!

Oh like you want to step over homeless people walking out your front door or have to be careful not to run one over when you are valeting your car? Homeless people can be so inconsiderate.

Foid One
Mar 2, 2015

by Ralp

Jastiger posted:

He claims he makes something like $300 either a night or a weekend. Which isn't bad but.....he works a full time job and does this from 10 pm to 3 am. That's super late to make $300 extra bucks.

I wouldn't care but he just goes on and on and I'm trying to work

Well if it's a night that's a cool 600 a weekend I guess OP. Then again gas is a pretty penny. not to mention the riding around with passengers and having them sue you or something! I guess you have to weigh the risks and the rewards, OP.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Hopefully his job doesnt involve safeguarding the lives of innocent people

Larry and I both worked at a homeless shelter making sure homeless people didn't get in fights and kill each other all day, it was the perfect job for him to show up drunk to. God knows I showed up blacked out on xanax at least twice a week but they didn't throw me a party they just fired me.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Three Olives posted:

That isn't my building, I have a 24/7 attended lobby, I assume a valet or someone would chase off a homeless person trying to hang out under our porte-cochère.

nnnnnnngggggggggg I am cumming.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
When I first started in The Corporate World, I attended a 40 Years of Service party for a coworker on a Thursday. He had a heart attack and died on that Saturday.

Forty loving years. I wonder if, when he was laying on the floor staring at the ceiling as his heart ground to a halt, if he thought "Yes, that forty years spent in a cubicle was a good use of my time."

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

good life story op. i tried to care but couldnt

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

Zahgaegun posted:

Forty loving years. I wonder if, when he was laying on the floor staring at the ceiling as his heart ground to a halt, if he thought "Yes, that forty years spent in a cubicle was a good use of my time."

People say this kind of poo poo all the time, sometimes after gloating about their outward bound excursion where they carried toilet paper in a tupperware for a week, sometimes when defending their parasitic unemployed drifter lifestyles, sometimes just when sharing meaningless image macros to convey their co-opted pseudo-individuality on Facebook.

And yeah obviously no one goes to their grave wishing they had spent more time working a boring job for some rich fucker with a place in the Hamptons.

But what are you going to do? 7 billion poor fucks on this big dirty planet, at least 2/3 of whom would fight to the death on a dystopian future gameshow for the chance to sit in a drat cubicle. This ecosystem, economic and otherwise, can't support a population exclusively of ski instructors and scuba archaeologists as much as we may romanticise any life but our own.

So you do what everyone else does. Take your meagre holidays and weekends and enjoy a slightly more expensive bottle of wine or a new restaurant, a sunny week on a beach somewhere, a ski trip highlight rather than lifestyle, a new couch and TV. Enjoy the relative freedom and wealth that a life in a cubicle affords over foraging for junk electronics in Agbogbloshie while your children inhale mercury fumes and fend off stray dogs for scraps.

Existential malaise and navel-gazing is a western luxury, a grass is always greener fallacy in which we somehow ignore the fact that the alternative to our post-modern ailments are literal ailments, losing your teeth and contracting dysentery and dying in a ditch somewhere after having never traveled farther than 20 miles from your cottage, never having eaten anything but what was available on land you STILL didn't own. Life was never better and probably never will be better, beyond incremental increases in creature comforts and more entertaining distractions.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
only people who hate uber are people with no friends , who never take a cab for any social reason at all ever, and dont know anything about nothing.

sorry uber rocks

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Artificial Idiocy posted:

People say this kind of poo poo all the time, sometimes after gloating about their outward bound excursion where they carried toilet paper in a tupperware for a week, sometimes when defending their parasitic unemployed drifter lifestyles, sometimes just when sharing meaningless image macros to convey their co-opted pseudo-individuality on Facebook.

And yeah obviously no one goes to their grave wishing they had spent more time working a boring job for some rich fucker with a place in the Hamptons.

But what are you going to do? 7 billion poor fucks on this big dirty planet, at least 2/3 of whom would fight to the death on a dystopian future gameshow for the chance to sit in a drat cubicle. This ecosystem, economic and otherwise, can't support a population exclusively of ski instructors and scuba archaeologists as much as we may romanticise any life but our own.

So you do what everyone else does. Take your meagre holidays and weekends and enjoy a slightly more expensive bottle of wine or a new restaurant, a sunny week on a beach somewhere, a ski trip highlight rather than lifestyle, a new couch and TV. Enjoy the relative freedom and wealth that a life in a cubicle affords over foraging for junk electronics in Agbogbloshie while your children inhale mercury fumes and fend off stray dogs for scraps.

Existential malaise and navel-gazing is a western luxury, a grass is always greener fallacy in which we somehow ignore the fact that the alternative to our post-modern ailments are literal ailments, losing your teeth and contracting dysentery and dying in a ditch somewhere after having never traveled farther than 20 miles from your cottage, never having eaten anything but what was available on land you STILL didn't own. Life was never better and probably never will be better, beyond incremental increases in creature comforts and more entertaining distractions.

thank you for this

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

whoa thats deep man. and well written

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Three Olives posted:

To be fair noisy kids are the loving worst, I wish we could ban them from my building.

my window faces the pool of the apt complex on the other side of the ally and lil bastards are always out there splashing and carrying on and making a ruckus and I legit wish we could ban kids from their building.

my building is fine though.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

my goal in life is to work in a cubicle and the hopefully maybe a modest corner office before i die because thats the best thing that could happen to me, in terms of human history in general

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

if you have an office with a door nothing else matters

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Needs more Darfur war orphans

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Volume posted:

A few months ago he was talking about how his wife was leaving him for another dude and taking his kids. then a month or so ago he was talking about how his apartment building wouldn't renew his lease cause his kids were too loud so they needed to find another place but they couldn't find any. Then they fired him last week.

lost wife, lost kids, lost apartment, lost job. lol

no job no hope no cash

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

CrashCat posted:

Needs more Darfur war orphans

I figured e-waste scrap pickers were a moderate compromise.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

ArmZ posted:

if you have an office with a door nothing else matters

Got it. Should find a bag to kill me with now?

Van Full of Sponges
Oct 9, 2007

Harald posted:

50 year old woman won't talk to anyone cause she's having a bad day, just says "gently caress you" to everyone. somehow she hasn't gotten fired (because no one wants her lovely job lol).

We have the same one!

Hates if she's asked to do something because it's stupid
Hates if she's not asked to do something because it's disrespectful
Passive-aggressively deletes unread email when mad (always), then complains no one tells her anything
Puts her big melanoma boobs on display through use of very loosely knit sweaters with nothing under now that she's been told to go easy on the low neck shirts
Looks like an orange party witch

der_frawd
Jul 26, 2007

Van Full of Sponges posted:

We have the same one!

Hates if she's asked to do something because it's stupid
Hates if she's not asked to do something because it's disrespectful
Passive-aggressively deletes unread email when mad (always), then complains no one tells her anything
Puts her big melanoma boobs on display through use of very loosely knit sweaters with nothing under now that she's been told to go easy on the low neck shirts
Looks like an orange party witch

I've heard of a lemon party but what's an orange party?

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

should've gotten a rumcake

Van Full of Sponges
Oct 9, 2007

der_frawd posted:

I've heard of a lemon party but what's an orange party?

Same but with a bunch of tan mom clones

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
fucken larry. the name alone dooms you to a life of being a shiftless rear end in a top hat

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Regardless you and him both will take the big dirt nap soon enough

Life is meaningless

What im trying to say is kill me then yourself op

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

So when everyone else tries to convince me that suicide isn't the answer, are they just crabs in a bucket?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Put that loving trust-fund hipster in his place. Doin' the lord's work, son.

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast

A good post.

Don't worry though, the way America and the rest of the West are going, most people aren't going to have those cubical job "problems" anymore, and can get back to the time honored subsistence poo poo you highlight above.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

1gnoirents posted:

only people who hate uber are people with no friends , who never take a cab for any social reason at all ever, and dont know anything about nothing.

sorry uber rocks

it's a transportation genie which may or may not smash your face in with a hammer.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Harald posted:

All my co-workers are miserable and need to take it out on me.

Like imagine a 50 (? estimated?) year old woman who acts like a loving 10 year old child - I have to work with this person

lol if u think this isn't all baby boomers

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

How many cat pictures are you allowed to have in your cubicle?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

lol indeed

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Some of my coworkers dont understand our products, like at all, after 5+ years of selling them somehow. Doesnt matter tho cause its only insurance.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Volume posted:

A few months ago he was talking about how his wife was leaving him for another dude and taking his kids. then a month or so ago he was talking about how his apartment building wouldn't renew his lease cause his kids were too loud so they needed to find another place but they couldn't find any. Then they fired him last week.

lost wife, lost kids, lost apartment, lost job. lol

Having kids just seems like a really stupid idea.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A former co-worker had a heart attack at work but decided to hide because he was also drunk and thought if they took him to the health station (the plant has its own doctor and nurses) they'd test his blood alcohol level. He was all blue when someone accidentally found him.

Welp that's my blue co-worker story hope you enjoyed it.

Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy

Three Olives posted:

To be fair noisy kids are the loving worst, I wish we could ban them from my building.

there's a single mom and her two kids and they all loving stomp down the stairs which is inside and echoes so gently caress this family, I agree with you like 1000000% ban children from condos

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

Chichevache posted:

So when everyone else tries to convince me that suicide isn't the answer, are they just crabs in a bucket?

The ones who really want you to stay alive and keep working are the bucket.

ryonguy posted:

How many cat pictures are you allowed to have in your cubicle?

Ideally infinite cats. But I work in a trendy branding agency with an open-concept office and free booze which, in principle, sounds psychologically healthier, but in reality just allows bosses to have access to and monitor you more easily, without even the minimal privacy of a cubicle. And without that privacy, you become the product of a group environment, a product of interaction and social forces and normative processes. I can't even pick my nose in peace! Man is only truly himself when alone.

Frog Act posted:

my goal in life is to work in a cubicle and the hopefully maybe a modest corner office before i die because thats the best thing that could happen to me, in terms of human history in general

Well the alternative would be to have a strong work ethic, drive and ambition, talent, and a unique or valuable skill set that lets you reasonable aspire to more than other people. Which is, despite socialist ethical objections, a good place to be.

Or the luck of inheritance I guess.

Artificial Idiocy fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Apr 2, 2015

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
It's mostly the luck of inheritance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
my plan in life is to remain voluntarily celibate and work long hours until I die, saving every penny I can. I will leave all my money to the cat's trust

• Locked thread