Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

On Terra Firma posted:

Well other than "be black" what exactly has Obama done to increase tensions? Nobody ever gets specific :iiam:

"My son would look like Trayvon".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

On Terra Firma posted:

Well other than "be black" what exactly has Obama done to increase tensions? Nobody ever gets specific :iiam:

Him being black worked pretty loving well.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
He's also a liberal, those people always get uppity under liberals.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Nonsense posted:

That's from 2003.

My joke, ruined :eng99:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

On Terra Firma posted:

He said that that one cop who arrested a distinguished black professor in front of his own home "acted stupidly".

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

On Terra Firma posted:

"Be just as white as he is black"

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Nonsense posted:

The wait is not much longer my friends!

Thankfully this is a general thread because this actually seems like a point worth reviewing. Not even ten years ago progressives were posting that we would be getting closer to legalized pot and cynics were telling them how we had been only twenty years away from that for sixty years now and we really shouldn't expect change.

While I won't pretend that getting some joints legalized in a state is the same as ending our national campaign of terror on the urban poor I just wanna make the point that political change can and does happen; it just sometimes takes three times as long as we would hope for.

Only thirty more years of republican rule. Tops. :smith:

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

On Terra Firma posted:

Well, let's ask Ted Cruz:

"Cruz could offer no specific examples on what he could do as President to address the tensions among minority communities when he was pressed."

""I think he has not used his role as President to bring us together. He has exacerbated racial misunderstandings, racial tensions, from back at the beer summit to a series of efforts to pit Americans against each other," he said. "And part of the problem is the way he advocates for any given plan is to paint ... is to build a straw man of the opposition and then vilify caricatures."

The President, Cruz explained, had vilified people opposed to Obamacare and those who opposes the current Iran nuclear negotiations. He did not cite an example founded from racial conflicts."

Oh...ummm...

Ted Cruz's campaign slogan should be "I stand for [your thing here]"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, “This is only a partial list of the domestic challenges Mr. Obama will pass on to the next president and doesn’t include the long roster of international problems he has created, ignored or messed up.” ~ Karl Rove.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Joementum posted:

Not in the White House, but Members of Congress did hear from a representative of your government yesterday.

Ho ho ho, not our government. Parliament, and nobody except his own party members want to have much to do with him.

He released a statement a while back saying he was proud and honoured to be invited by his hosts. Louie Gohmert invited him.

And he had a date with Pamela Geller too. :negative:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdSsBYO1oNI

Old but still sharp as gently caress.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Normal quote of the day:
"I like Charles Murray books to be honest with you, which means I'm a total nerd I guess." ~ JEB Bush.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

JT Jag posted:

In case you're curious, all of this actually happened.

in a manga

More info please.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Grundulum posted:

More info please.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Grundulum posted:

More info please.

also, related:

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Normal quote of the day:
"I like Charles Murray books to be honest with you, which means I'm a total nerd I guess." ~ JEB Bush.
It's depressing that this won't even show up outside of wonky blogs rather than being the campaign sinking gaffe it should be.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

ZobarStyl posted:

It's depressing that this won't even show up outside of wonky blogs rather than being the campaign sinking gaffe it should be.

Jesus loving Christ. I had to look up his name, but I recognized the title of his infamous book The Bell Curve. That's the one where he argues that black people tend to be poor because they're genetically inferior to whites.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Chamale posted:

Jesus loving Christ. I had to look up his name, but I recognized the title of his infamous book The Bell Curve. That's the one where he argues that black people tend to be poor because they're genetically inferior to whites.

"A huge number of well-meaning whites fear that they are closet racists, and this book tells them they are not. It's going to make them feel better about things they already think but do not know how to say.”

That quote alone tells you all you need to know about The Bell Curve.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Chamale posted:

Holy Crap, there was a whole week in one of my Anthropology classes where we talked about how wrong this book was alongside the "extra bone in their legs make them run faster" myth.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Chamale posted:

I know that "this isn't even a dogwhistle" gets tossed around a lot but I don't know what else Jeb could do that would be less subtle, shy of making his campaign slogan "Bush 2016: Putting Those People Back in Their Place!"

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
It's hard to even call it a dog whistle really. How many people who are casually racist do you think would even pick that up? It'll get reported by some outlets as a bad thing and the majority the dogs won't even hear the whistling

Guys, I think Jeb just kinda sucks at trying to be president

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
After discovering that at least three people in my department are birthers, something I thought most people considered an insane conspiracy theory, I just don't know, man.

Just wait until they start talking about female brain mass. And...black female brain mass. :ohdear: on a pedantic note, isn't the only racial "disadvantage" black people have is that they have a higher than average chance of being born with sickle cell anemia? A slightly worse racial handicap than Asian lactose intolerance, admittedly...

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Xibanya posted:

Just wait until they start talking about female brain mass. And...black female brain mass. :ohdear: on a pedantic note, isn't the only racial "disadvantage" black people have is that they have a higher than average chance of being born with sickle cell anemia? A slightly worse racial handicap than Asian lactose intolerance, admittedly...

Also higher risk of vitamin D deficiency.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Chamale posted:

Also higher risk of vitamin D deficiency.
I hope one day we can all just laugh about all these little differences from a position of equals in society.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I hope one day we can all just laugh about all these little differences from a position of equals in society.

Agreed. The little genetic differences are nothing compared to the fact that black people are much less likely to have access to quality medical care.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Stultus Maximus posted:

Normal quote of the day:
I really need a link to this, holy gently caress.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, “This is only a partial list of the domestic challenges Mr. Obama will pass on to the next president and doesn’t include the long roster of international problems he has created, ignored or messed up.” ~ Karl Rove.

Jesus loving Christ, this is like the president of Phillip Morris complaining about all the lung cancer and emphysema Obama is giving people.

I guess right-wingers really don't think anyone remembers anything past like 2 weeks ago. See: Romney in the first debate. "Tax cut? Tax cut? I've never said anything about a tax cut! I didn't even know you could cut taxes, that's insane!"

BTW just in case any of you forgot, today is the day Obama got Osama bin Laden, something Bush never even came close to despite invading Afghanistan and Iraq, bankrupting the country, killing hundreds of thousands of people and viciously maiming for life who knows how many more, and turning us into a nation of torturers and war criminals scared of every two-bit wanna-be with a video camera and a machete. Please remind your Republican friends and relatives of this fact, the sputtering rage it brings on is a joy to behold.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Xibanya posted:

You also see a higher prevalence of sickle cell anemia in Indian and Middle East communities. Basically tropical areas where malaria is common or where people from those regions migrated, which makes sense. And even in Africa, it really depends where you are. South and North Africa have it a lot less often than equatorial Africa.

Also apparently 75% of African Americans are lactose intolerant, which isn't far off from the East Asian 90%. Although in the Sudan the Beja people are only something like 12% lactose intolerant. Using that kind of genetic stuff to outline races tends to fall apart real fast when you actually look at the information.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I really need a link to this, holy gently caress.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/jeb-bush-charles-murray-the-bell-curve

Xibanya posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creutzfeldt%E2%80%93Jakob_disease is the worst quasi-racial thing I can think of.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

JonathonSpectre posted:

Jesus loving Christ, this is like the president of Phillip Morris complaining about all the lung cancer and emphysema Obama is giving people.

I guess right-wingers really don't think anyone remembers anything past like 2 weeks ago. See: Romney in the first debate. "Tax cut? Tax cut? I've never said anything about a tax cut! I didn't even know you could cut taxes, that's insane!"

BTW just in case any of you forgot, today is the day Obama got Osama bin Laden, something Bush never even came close to despite invading Afghanistan and Iraq, bankrupting the country, killing hundreds of thousands of people and viciously maiming for life who knows how many more, and turning us into a nation of torturers and war criminals scared of every two-bit wanna-be with a video camera and a machete. Please remind your Republican friends and relatives of this fact, the sputtering rage it brings on is a joy to behold.

I bet you kill at parties.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Meg From Family Guy posted:

I bet you kill at parties.

:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
May thread is up.