Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

Minkee posted:

Is everyone ready finally for riding season?

Had a nice out and back to Marble Falls with a friend. We traded bikes on they way back, and I can tell you that a KLR650 is probably not on the top of my list of bikes to ride on that road. Then I took the KTM to Hidden Falls and attempted not to bash my face in on rocks. Was a pretty decent day, just need some TexMex and a beer to finish it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
Are you goons going to the East Side Classic? http://www.eastsideclassicatx.com

I'm ready to see some uncomfortable bikes, morons with open face helmets, and hipsters that think their cb750 is a custom job.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
gently caress these constant rains. Bike is fixed, gear is okay enough but I really don't want to deal with torrential downpours with barely waterproof gear.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
I haven't been on my bike in 2 weeks. Last Wednesday I put on my gear and walked outside and it came down in sheets. gently caress.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Minkee posted:

I haven't been on my bike in 2 weeks. Last Wednesday I put on my gear and walked outside and it came down in sheets. gently caress.

For the non-texan viewers at home, "Last Wednesday I put on my gear and walked outside" translates to "I don't check the weather and almost got stuck in a tropical storm".

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
Hey you dummies there is a KTM Ride Orange even this weekend. http://www.ktm.com/us/news/ktm-ride-orange-demo-ride-programschedule/

I'm going to be there at 11am to ride some Dukes. Watch Minkee struggle against his own worst enemy.. his credit.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hello Austin Motorcycle Thread,

I am interested in buying a motorcycle, but I have never ridden before.
I was wondering if anyone here knew of a good (and cheap) way for someone like me to get at least the basics down. I don't have any friends who have motorcycles, otherwise, I'd ask them. Suggestions or advice? Google led me to a riding class, but they were charging a lot more than I wanted to spend just on learning; money I'd rather spend on the bike, or a helmet or something.

Let me know, please.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

The best thing you can do is take a MSF Basic Rider class. The instruction will make you a good rider, and passing the class will exempt you from the riding portion of a motorcycle license examination. All motorcycles 50cc and over require a license (this is all but the tinyest of mopeds).

$250 for a course that includes classroom and multiple days of riding instruction is a good investment in a hobby and your skills.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Take the MSF BRC, wear ATGATT, and never ride on 35.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Hi ATX goons, I want to get a motorcycle finally. Craigslist is being poopy and expensive, any dealers around town that you'd all recommend?

Also, I have the M endorsement on my OK license, it should transfer to a TX license, right?

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Hello? Anyone still visit this thread? Would enjoy riding with some other Austin goons sometime.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Laminator posted:

Hi ATX goons, I want to get a motorcycle finally. Craigslist is being poopy and expensive, any dealers around town that you'd all recommend?

Also, I have the M endorsement on my OK license, it should transfer to a TX license, right?

I'm sure you learned that yes it will transfer. We haven't done an area ride yet, but I'm sure we could figure something out. What bike did you end up getting?

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

A 2011 Ninja 250. Been riding around North Austin mostly, been really nice for the past few days with basically no traffic about. Lots of nice roads, been sticking to the roads with bike paths mostly since I know they're a bit less busy.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I'd be down for meeting up to go riding sometime. I'm not in the state at the moment, but will be back in a few days.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.
Thread necromancy! I'm usually up for a ride most afternoons in North Austin, and this Sunday, May 29th is looking good if anyone else wants to do a longer ride. I ride Lime Creek Rd. and 1431 to Marble Falls pretty regularly, but something new would be cool too. I've read about the 335/336/337 triangle down by Medina, which would be like ~6 hours in the saddle there and back I think.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
After a year in Africa (and spending most of the last two years outside the US) I'm moving back to my house in Austin (been away for 7 years). I loved being car-free in DC so looking to buy just a motorbike for urban use, and if I need to go anywhere far I'll just rent something off of Turo. I'm basically looking for an urban get-around but less goony than a Honda Ruckus; don't need interstate speed, just enough to travel on arterials safely, and something with a low seat height (29" inseam) and light and flickable. After goon consultation I'm pretty stoked about the Yamaha TW200 so that's what I'm after.

I won't have a car in Austin, so is there any semi-employed flexible goon who'd want to give me a ride out to buy a bike if it's in the sticks, and can help me objectively critique it, "bad cop" the idea to unnerve the seller, etc? I can pay gas money and buy you lunch, and then get you beers after we're safely back in Austin. This would be happening around mid-June since I get back the 15th or so and want a bike pretty quick so I'm not stuck around the house.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Pm'd

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

After a year in Africa (and spending most of the last two years outside the US) I'm moving back to my house in Austin (been away for 7 years). I loved being car-free in DC so looking to buy just a motorbike for urban use, and if I need to go anywhere far I'll just rent something off of Turo. I'm basically looking for an urban get-around but less goony than a Honda Ruckus; don't need interstate speed, just enough to travel on arterials safely, and something with a low seat height (29" inseam) and light and flickable. After goon consultation I'm pretty stoked about the Yamaha TW200 so that's what I'm after.

I won't have a car in Austin, so is there any semi-employed flexible goon who'd want to give me a ride out to buy a bike if it's in the sticks, and can help me objectively critique it, "bad cop" the idea to unnerve the seller, etc? I can pay gas money and buy you lunch, and then get you beers after we're safely back in Austin. This would be happening around mid-June since I get back the 15th or so and want a bike pretty quick so I'm not stuck around the house.

If you see something in the DFW area you want looked at, drop me an email through "my username"@gmail.com. I'm down in Austin every few months and I own a truck (and a bike trailer) and could haul a bike if you find something you like.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I'll be back in Austin in about two weeks and buying a TW200 is one of my top priorities, so trawling CL. I haven't owned a car since 2011 and don't intend to anytime soon.

I have one goon who wants babbys-first-bike help and will give me lifts out to look at my own bikes for gas/beer/BBQ support, so think I'm covered there for the moment unless anyone is a dual-sport guru and really wants to help with TW200 shopping.

With a T-dub I'm not sure I can come on all goon rides unless they're interstate-averse, but otherwise down to clown and hoon.

Fair warning, my 65yr old father, a Rev. Dr., may move down to Austin next year or so, and if he does really wants to get a trike-moto as his main vehicle, so I may end up dragging a really cool old hippie dude with a Ministry PhD out to some goon cycle meet...

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 5, 2016

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

I'd be down for going on some rides. I have a WR250R and an SV1000, so I'm down for whatever people want to do. Had a great ride over to Marble Falls today.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I'm in Austin for the next two weeks. Going to Denver by the 21st.

Any can't miss rides out here? Also gently caress this rain. I thought Texas would be dryer than Florida.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Space Whale posted:

I'm in Austin for the next two weeks. Going to Denver by the 21st.

Any can't miss rides out here? Also gently caress this rain. I thought Texas would be dryer than Florida.

My favorite spot is to go north on 2222 until you get to the end, then turn left. You'll be on Lime Creek Road. At the end of that, turn left onto Anderson Mill, then left onto 1431. Take that to Marble Falls and then turn around after making a pit stop somewhere.

Or, just do 2222 and lime creek if you want a shorter ride.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Lime Creek Chat:
But watch out for turds crossing the double-yellow on blind turns, and also pedestrians and bicyclists.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

MetaJew posted:

Lime Creek Chat:
But watch out for turds crossing the double-yellow on blind turns, and also pedestrians and bicyclists.

If you ride Lime Creek east to west, there are a few decreasing radius blind right handers (most are marked 15mph), but if you hold your line properly you should be in good shape. If you ride west to east, it's a good idea to reserve the inside half of your lane on those turns for people who blow the corner and don't hold their line.

If it's your first time riding this road, I'd recommend you obey the posted speeds in corners until you learn which ones tighten.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
How do license plates for the ride home work in TX? Do I ask the seller to leave the plates on and I'll mail them back, or make a cardboard "bought 6/19" plate just to get it back to my house, or what? The only previous time I bought a bike in Texas the guy lived less than a mile for me, so he just accepted my $1,000 and a Ruger P89 pistol, signed the title, and asked me to walk it back over after I parked at home.

Arriving in Austin late next week, want to buy a TW200 as soon as I find a decent deal. Can someone take a quick glance to let me know what you think (cross-posting from "what bike?" thread):

quote:

Post-Africa to Austin TW200 search

Arriving in Austin maybe the 18th or so of this month, want to get a bike almost immediately. Been watching CL for TW200s for a couple months to gauge the field, here's what they have this week:

- 1989 TW, 2k miles, $1650. Same owner for 20 years, tons of decent-quality accessories and upgrades, "price is firm". Has been up for sale on CL for like two months now. Kinda concerned about the age but he seems an involved owner and claims to be the owner for the last 20+ years. http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/5623809717.html

- 1998 TW, 3k miles, $1896. "Needs carb clean and tune-up" but in running shape, clean title, stored indoors. http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/5619570004.html

- 2013 TW, mileage not given, $2400 "title status: lien", luggage rack added but not much other info. http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/5584637200.html

Any strong thoughts on these options? Is the '89 just too old to look at or if the condition is good should I jump on the low price and all the extras? I might only be keeping this bike for a year or two since I plan to upgrade to an electric in a few years once more options are on the market, I mostly just need a beater as an around-town runaround for this year until I go back to Africa and put it in my garage for half a year or so.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Got in to Austin with a rented SUV full of my worldly possession around 1am Saturday, just trying to catch my breath now. But as soon as I do, maybe in the next few days, I'm going to go and buy one of the couple of TW200s on CL in the area. I have a really nice Champlain Leather (handmade in Burlington) jacket I got for $50 at an Austin pawnshop years ago, got good gloves and okay boots. What's a good Austin-area shop to get a (yes, new) Shoei helmet, and maybe one that carries used riding jackets so I can find a cheapie airy summer jacket that fits for the season?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
For helmets, I think your options are limited to Cycle Gear or Woods Fun Center, for the most part.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Me and Banana are fixing to ride motorbikes somewhere not too far from downtown Austin to get BBQ on Sunday (3 July); probably taking quiet county roads since I have a TW and it redlines after 50mph. Anyone else up for a slow mosey to get smoked meat?

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 2, 2016

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Disclaimer: no butt stuff

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

I could join you, if that's cool. Where are you meeting up and what time?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Day Man posted:

I could join you, if that's cool. Where are you meeting up and what time?

Pencil in 2pm in Hyde Park; PM me?

EDIT: cool, got a 3-goon BBQ meet for Sunday. Post here if you want heads-up on future rides, and these should be pretty chill since two of us are riding <299cc bikes and one has a Harley so..:

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 3, 2016

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Hm, I may be able to make tomorrow's ride, though my fiancee will be off work but I'm 50/50 as to whether she'll be awake or not. I'm still down for some rides in the future.

Going to try to commit to motorcycle commuting since I'll be all over the city for work this year. Hope I don't die on Airport or Lamar :v:

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Doooo iiiiiittt

Edit: not the dying part

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Laminator posted:

Hm, I may be able to make tomorrow's ride, though my fiancee will be off work but I'm 50/50 as to whether she'll be awake or not. I'm still down for some rides in the future.

Going to try to commit to motorcycle commuting since I'll be all over the city for work this year. Hope I don't die on Airport or Lamar :v:

Yeah duder, come get some bbq today with us.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Had a blast with you sons-uh-bitches today. great riding, great bbq.

looking forward to more meets like this, and I invite any other area goons to join in!

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

A+++ goon ride, only minimal butt stuff, long lines of angry drivers, would ride again

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

And we only caused one roll-over car accident!

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Had a great time!

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Just found this thread.

Hi, Austin motorcycle rider.
Currently I've got a '07 Bonneville T100 and a '74 Honda CB350F that's cafe'd out. (Trying to sell the latter)

I've been on two group rides here. One was regrettably with the reddit motorcycle sub, the other was awesome with a MC group The Meaters who eat/breathe bikes and are in general a bunch of bad asses.

I've been invited to a trip around Moab, Utah. I'll be riding there by myself if I go. Never done a long trip like that, so I was thinking of riding to Enchanted Rock, camping and riding back on a weekend to try and simulate a portion of the trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

You ever want to go on a bbq run, hit this thread up, dev

• Locked thread