Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
groovetastic
May 15, 2013
I work at a small-mid sized ad firm where I am kind of sick of how I am being treated. My job title is content writer. I work full time, I do Biz Dev and work with the sales manager, but I also write blog content in the digital space, usually about content marketing, SEO, PPC, all that jazz. I'm Hubspot inbound certified, I'm intermediate with Salesforce (no coding, but I can set up workflows, work with templates, leads/accounts/contacts/etcs), do e-mail campaigns. I'm handy with Google analytics and SEO, I know my way around Wordpress (I have my own small Wordpress site). I can write Ebooks and I can write copy, scope out and cost content projects, copy and line edit, crank out blog articles, create reports for clients, and can interpret and display KPI data to clients. I'm *really good* with outreach and do interviews and tweetchats all the time, and I'm good with PR. I have a portfolio of blog and e-book work to my name, both agency and client work.

I want to at least start on the side freelancing so as to pick up extra cash, and eventually move into another full time gig. I want to learn SEO better, and develop myself into a full faceted marketing guy, but I'll work hard at anything and find a niche. I want creative work where I'm trusted. I'll pay my dues and work hard, and if that means grunt work, so be it.

So, how do I transition from the 9 to 5 to the freelance game and not end up on the street, even as a part time/weekend/project gig? Insights, please, marketing/SEO/Ad goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There really isn't a guaranteed way of going freelance and earning enough money every month. However, I know a few people that have done it. They use sites like odesk and elance to pick up some work. Another thing they do is apply for temp freelance copy writer, content writer, etc positions at agencies in their city. Most of the time big agencies do this when they need extra help or nearing a deadline but all the regulars are swamped.

With that said, I suggest you just find another full time job at another agency.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
I am a full-time, in-house digital marketing copywriter and have a handful of freelance gigs for discretionary income. I can't imagine making a living off the gigs I do have; like any freelance work, they're inconsistent and sometimes difficult to do remotely. I would agree with the above poster in that you should find another agency job and perhaps you can find work on the side until you've made enough connections to get a substantial amount of projects. I get all of my work through word of mouth and it's truly not enough to pay my bills.

Good luck, whatever your decision!

• Locked thread