Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Last Update: 4/6/2016
81. The End (?)

Credit: shinmai

Alt Thread Titles:
- The Real PS4 Starts Here
- Bloodborne: A Double-Blind Let's Play

What is Bloodborne?

Get a twitter account and you'll find out in five seconds.

Okay, well, imagine if Konami were sitting in front of a locked door or puzzle marked "3D Castlevania". They look at these broken keys marked "Castlevania 64" and "Lords of Shadow" and they huff, "Nothing seems to work!" FROM Software, makers of Action RPGs you may have heard of called Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, etc. said "Step aside, folks. We'll handle this."

So, it's Dark Souls set in pseudo-Victorian psuedo-Europe with werewolves and mummies and monsters. And guns. You die a million times, artificial difficulty, blah blah blah... look do I really have to distill the Wikipedia page here?

Day One Blind LP? (Actually, Day Two.)

Yeah, but you know? The 3-month rule is gone and maybe it's time to try new things. Anyway, this is how it happened:

My cohort Diabetus isn't going to buy a PS4 for just Bloodborne but loving the Souls games, he was really interested. I suggested it'd be fun to make a video with him watching on Skype, so we played for an hour. We had a good time, it got me out of parenting for an hour, so I said gently caress it, let's try a thing and now we have five videos recorded and edited, over 2 gameplay sessions.

How This Worked Out

You probably know Betus and I can crank out an okay video, but check this: I'm too hasty for Souls games which actually helps out since Bloodborne's combat is faster paced and slightly better suited to my gently caress-everything play style. Diabetus is slow and methodical so he actually keeps me in check finding items, etc. I was really happy with how it turned out!

Since Bloodborne is a presumably long game, while I can't redo the first few videos, we have plenty of time and nothing more recorded so you can tell me what you'd like to see, etc. I might even feature comments from both YouTube and this very forum (preferably here) for the infamously boring loading screens. (Note: I will edit most out but I thought it'd be fun since Betus and I actually have to wait, so better ones might garner inclusion. Also: Blood Engagement as it's known in social media. Please rate my videos Fine and join my, uh... covenant? Do they have those here? Don't answer that.)

Basically, I feel like this is a little YouTube dumpy, but if there's any interest here, it's not too late, as opposed to when we record more later.

Spoiler Policy?

Gameplay suggestions and things we've seen are cool. Do not post about upcoming bosses/areas/things of interest unless it's something we'll miss. I know "things of interest" is nebulous, but say, "A better threaded cane" is one thing. "Cool gently caress off bazooka!" is something it'd be better for us to stumble upon.

Gameplay suggestions from those who haven't played are totally welcome! Winning strategies from those who have - spoiler tag. Cool poo poo a first time player could miss, but we should include? Mention!

This is a little confusing, so let's say...

- We're right in the area of the second boss, but haven't encountered it. - DO NOT MENTION, let us stumble upon it
- We've fought the second boss but are missing a key element of the fight. - SPOILER TAG, in case thread readers are dying to know
- We've fought the second boss but if you don't kill him and do something else first, you get a hidden item for beating him.* - MENTION, maybe I can include it if not too late
- I'm not sure. - ASK. Figure out a way to dance around it or in the worst case, e-mail me slowbeef AT gmail, or even tweet @slowbeef and I'll figure it out. I'd rather not be spoiled, but I'd prefer it to Betus or the audience.

* Note: That is a hypothetical situation. I've no idea if that or anything like it is the case.

Basically, discussion is fine, just keep in mind I - and others who haven't played/can't - would like to stumble on stuff as much as we can.

I found a note in Yharnam that says "oh, Yharnam"

It's mine! Please rate this fine! I AM BEGGING YOU.

Can I invade you/co-op with you?

I'm honestly not still 100% sure on multiplayer re: how it works, but yeah, maybe we can post here or I can tweet out where I am, what level, etc. and you can try and kick my rear end or I can help you kill a boss or fail at all those things.

This thread sucks!

Try Genocyber's!

Chronicles of a Bumbling Hunter

Credit: shinmai

01. Expert Level Play - Hunter's Dream, Entering Yharnam
02. "oh, Yharnam" - Villagers, Crows, Ridley Voice
03. Diabetus's Favorite Enemy - More Yharnam, and Meeting Gherman
04. Into the Sewers - More NPCs and New Enemies
05. Boss 1 Encounter - Enter Cleric Beast
06. Exploring Yharnam, New Saw Spear
07. New Threads, A New Man
08. Boss 1 Rematch
09. Leaving Yharnam
10. Boss 2 Encounter Father Gascoigne

11. The Good News Is, We Found Your Mom
12. Cathedral Ward
13. Yeah, Did Not See That One Coming
14. Old Yharnam is Easy!
15. Odds and Ends
16. So I Bought A Kirkhammer...
17. Boss 3 Encounter Blood Starved Beast
18. Down By One
19. MORE EXPERT LEVEL PLAY
20. BOSS 3 REMATCH

21. BOSS 4 ENCOUNTER Vicar Amelia
22. "We Fixed the Loading" (Game Patch)
23. Hemwich Charnel Lane
24. Chalice Dungeoning
25. Some Pig
26. Featured: Falling
27. Back to Hemwick Charnel Lane
28. BOSS ENCOUNTER (WoH) Witch of Hemwick
29. BOSS ENCOUNTER (DbP) Darkbeast Paarl
30. The Source of the Dream

31. Well, Yharnam is hosed. Bye.
32. "I love you." "So, uh, levels."
33. Dead End
34. Professor Murder Doesn't Live Up To His Name
35. HARDEST BOSS EVER
36. Yharnam Beach Volleyball
37. Please RSVP to my Creepy Party
38. Retsupurae Chalice Dungeon
39. Party at Cainhurst
40. Well, This Place Was Dead Anyway

41. Back To School
42. BOSS REMATCH (DbP)
43: BOSS ENCOUNTER (ML)
44. gently caress[, ]ball of Snakes!
45. BOSS ENCOUNTER (SoY)
46. Bugged Enemy Mechanics
47. BOSS ENCOUNTER (Ad)
48. BOSS ENCOUNTER (RtVS)
49. BOSS REMATCH (RtVS)
50. BOSS REMATCH (Marty)

51. Oh, Yahar'gul!
52. Well, Yahar'gul's hosed, Bye
53. About Time We Saw A Cathedral
54. BOSS ENCOUNTER (CE)
55. BOSS ENCOUNTER (EDotC)
56. BOSS ENCOUNTER (TOR)
57. BOSS REMATCH (EDotC)
58. BOSS REMATCH (TOR)
59. Nightmare of Frenzy Spears
60. Nightmare of Giant Spiders

61. BOSS ENCOUNTER: M,HotN
62. BOSS REMATCH: M,HotN
63. Nightmare of Loads of Eyes
64. FINAL BOSS ENCOUNTER?
65. The Old Jerks
66. Hey, I remember y-
67. BOSS ENCOUNTER (LtA)
68. A Christmas, Gory
69. Unable to Find Brain
70. BOSS REMATCH: LtA

71. Hey, You Got Something On Your Head
72. BOSS ENCOUNTER (LF)
73. BOSS ENCOUNTER (LMotAC)
74. Holy Carp!
75. Gyo 2
76. BOSS ENCOUNTER (OoK)
77. BOSS REMATCH (OoK)
78. BOSS ENCOUNTER (LtFV)
79. Chalice Dungeon Boss Rush
80. All The Bosses (Save One)

81. The End (?)

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I'm not prepared to buy a ps4 for one game either, so I'm pumped for this. Audio seems a bit low (at least in first video).

Seventh Mode
Aug 29, 2012

Mode 7-style rendering was also used for the Special Stages in Sonic CD.
The more you know!
I said I wasn't going to get a PS4 until a PS4 game came out in the hopes that I still had a year or so to raise the cash.

Goddammit FROM. Stop being good at poo poo. I'm too poor.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
...Well, between playing Bloodborne and watching other people play the game, what's one more?

This aught to be fun.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

RedTonic posted:

Audio seems a bit low (at least in first video).

Game audio? Our audio? Both?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Extremely interested in this game but there's no way in hell I'm getting a PS4 so this is pretty much perfect.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

slowbeef posted:

Game audio? Our audio? Both?

Both; game audio is extra low, but your commentary audio is very low as well. Sorry, I should have been more specific to start with. :shobon:

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas
Bloodborne is excellent and fixed a lot of the issues that prevented me from enjoying Dark Souls 2. The hunter swings faster and with wider arcs so you're considerably better equipped to deal big mobs. The trick weapons all feel really unique to use and fighting in this game just feels so stylish once you've picked up some momentum. You just feel like a more competent character but I'll admit I'm sort of biased against DS2. Yharnam just looks awesome and it's so eerie to explore, this game definitely nailed the tone it was going for. I've already made a bunch of dumb characters just to try out different things and it's so cool. Definitely looking forward to more of this!

shinmai
Oct 9, 2007

CHK Instruction

cardinal direction posted:

Yharnam just looks awesome and it's so eerie to explore, this game definitely nailed the tone it was going for.

I especially love how they managed to make it eerie and gritty without making it monotone, everythign is still very nicely saturated, things still have color, even if they're dark and caked with blood and crud.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Never played a Souls game because I no longer own a 360 or PS3 and have never had a gaming PC but I've been interested in the series since watching some of Geop's LP of the first game. If I owned a PS4 I'd probably get this game. Having said that, I'm more than content enough to just watch Slowbeef play it for me. So far the LP and game looks insanely entertaining.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I'm actually curious here... what do you think of the game so far, beef? I'm interested in raw reactions after a first session. I'll watch the videos after work ends today.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Co-op is a little more esoteric in this game. After the first time you've met a boss (whether you beat him or not) the messengers in the Dream will give you the summoning bell. In order to get the helper bell you need to have at least 10 insight and then that birdbath outside the center door in the workshop will unlock and you can buy it from them with insight. Personally I think they should have done the reverse, give you the helper bell and charge for the summoner. Like humanity it's earned from beating bosses/helping and also a consumable item.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'm actually curious here... what do you think of the game so far, beef? I'm interested in raw reactions after a first session. I'll watch the videos after work ends today.

Loving it.

I think of the three prior, I liked Lordran the most. It felt like old school Legend of Zelda - there was just sort of this world where you got a checklist of things to remember. "I should fight that Black Knight. I should explore those woods more. Wait... there's a whole new area over there?! I should add that to the list of things to do. ...Holy poo poo, this game is huge."

Demon's Souls's hub world felt a little video gamey, like a Mega Man "Choose Robot Master" screen - "Hey, we got a mine world here if you want to try it!" whereas Dark 1 was like "Whoa! I found a Mine World!" I liked it, but I liked Dark 1's way of doing it better.

The little I played of Dark 2 felt kinda like Demon's - You've got a beach hub and you can go there if you want, and there's places to go but... I guess it didn't feel the same? It felt like a hybrid.

Bloodborne feels like a fresh start. Yharnam is fun to explore - there's a hub world, but limiting you to one place at a time and making the town more open is cool. "Should I climb up? Check out the higher areas? Oh, there's a sewer down there? I almost missed that." It's a hybrid again, but it feels better to me. You can warp, but I've only found two "bonfires" anyway - it's more about shortcuts so far which is a neat way of compromising. I guess Demon's did that, but Demon's felt a bit linear in the stages.

The combat is different enough to be satisfying. It's not like Dark 2 where you go "oh parries don't work as well/are harder to pull off now." It's "wait, so what does the gun do? Is it like a parry? Oh wait, no, it's a different thing altogether. ... ...Wait a sec, how does that work with bosses*? Also how do I incorporate the dual-modes of each weapon*?" Your old Souls habits screw you here - it's better to go all in if things start going south instead of backing off and re-appraising. But it's soooooo hard to break that habit.

* don't tell me

I guess I'm saying it's new enough you feel better experimenting. It's definitely a Souls game, but it's just different enough to feel like a whole new experience.

Yeah, honestly, I'm not far in but I can't recommend enough.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

RedTonic posted:

Both; game audio is extra low, but your commentary audio is very low as well. Sorry, I should have been more specific to start with. :shobon:

No worries! I got a new mic, so I'm still futzing around a little. I dropped some coin on it, but I will say the XLR mic is nice. Lowtax walked me through audio processing with it which basically boiled down to "Do basically nothing"

Is it better in videos 2-5?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

slowbeef posted:

No worries! I got a new mic, so I'm still futzing around a little. I dropped some coin on it, but I will say the XLR mic is nice. Lowtax walked me through audio processing with it which basically boiled down to "Do basically nothing"

New toys are always exciting!

I'm still in video 2, which seems about the same level as 1. Video 2's commentary versus game audio levels seem more balanced. At this point, though, I might just be acclimated.

Regardless, I'm really enjoying this. Thanks!

shinmai
Oct 9, 2007

CHK Instruction

slowbeef posted:

I'd say it's about the same in 5 at least. I need to turn my headphones up a bit to comfortably make sense of what you guys are saying. It's not very quiet, though, so if you can't find anything wrong with your audio set-up, I wouldn't worry about it.

This was my favorite bit in the last update. I love the enemy design in this game so far.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Yeah, the art design in this game is really good. I don't really go for gothic or Victorian aesthetics usually but this game looks great.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
For me, one of the best things about this game is the world layout. I'm really looking forward to seeing this game's version of the 3d rendered color coded map that someone did for Dark Souls.
(All of the other best things would probably be spoilers, but I will say this game has a lot of best things.)

Mored0ts
Mar 18, 2009
I feel so dumb getting riled up about this, but I'll just say it to get it off my chest. Holding circle is running, as in all Souls games. Tapping circle while running initiates a jump. DS2 had the option to put the jump on L3, but it was never X.

edit: L and R mixup

Mored0ts fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 2, 2015

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I like this game. Different enough to feel more fresh than just another Souls game. The Soulsness is still there, but less in your face. The atmosphere reminds me of Demon's. Also trick weapons are great. Oh, and the fact that you can give your guy purple shades. Yes, my character has purple shades.

Really the only thing I can't stand is the loading times. They're bad enough to put you off trying risky things because you know if you gently caress up, you'll be staring at that word for a while. Or at least that's how it was for me. Oh, and jumping is back to terrible DS1 controls.

Also I didn't notice until I watched that ENB guy's video and he mentioned it, but I like that the screech you hear going up that first ladder turns out to be the Cleric Beast.

There was also something else he mentioned I wished I had known from the start. If you see one of those (non-warping) reddish lamps like the one near the (warping) one at the top of the ladder, it means there's an NPC nearby. Usually behind a door or window I find.

e: I think that werewolf got mad you were trash-talking his AI. :v:

McDragon fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 2, 2015

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

McDragon posted:

There was also something else he mentioned I wished I had known from the start. If you see one of those (non-warping) reddish lamps like the one near the (warping) one at the top of the ladder, it means there's an NPC nearby. Usually behind a door or window I find.

We start doing this in Video 2. One neat thing is that this on-demand editing means I notice stuff later and add it to the list of things To-Do.

Like I missed an NPC in Video 2 in the long... alley? that leads to the burning stake.

Or I ran right by a ladder in the Sewers in Video 4.

Or that when watching the boss fight "Did- ... did I stagger him? Can I riposte Visceral Attack him? Wait, does that mean guns work?" (Don't tell me, we'll try it next video.)

Mored0ts posted:

I feel so dumb getting riled up about this, but I'll just say it to get it off my chest. Holding circle is running, as in all Souls games.

Sorry, it had been a few months since I played a Souls game. Without Memory, who will ever know?

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 2, 2015

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

edit to make this sound less passive-agressive: You guys really missed a lot of items in the first video both on the ground and off of dead enemies

Dr. Tough fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 2, 2015

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

slowbeef posted:

We start doing this in Video 2. One neat thing is that this on-demand editing means I notice stuff later and add it to the list of things To-Do.

Like I missed an NPC in Video 2 in the long... alley? that leads to the burning stake.

Or I ran right by a ladder in the Sewers in Video 4.

Or that when watching the boss fight "Did- ... did I stagger him? Can I riposte Visceral Attack him? Wait, does that mean guns work?" (Don't tell me, we'll try it next video.)

Sorry, it had been a few months since I played a Souls game. Without Memory, who will ever know?

Oh, hadn't seen if you'd noticed that or not.

Also I wondered that when I fought him the first time. I found a different way to fight him in the end though, so I don't know if you can. I bet you can, I think it made The Noise.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Enjoying the videos so far. Although now I'll never find those broken crows creepy again.

Bloodborne fixes nothing that irritates me about previous Souls games, and the load times are a fucker. But still, Yharnam is an amazing place. The demented looming architecture, the crazy shut-ins, the scattered hints about what went horribly wrong. I'm finding the combat satisfying too, especially comboing between the different forms of the trick weapons.

Btw: button-mashing pays off- if you keep attacking a dead enemy before it finishes its dying animation, you'll keep recovering lost health.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Kloro posted:

For me, one of the best things about this game is the world layout. I'm really looking forward to seeing this game's version of the 3d rendered color coded map that someone did for Dark Souls.
(All of the other best things would probably be spoilers, but I will say this game has a lot of best things.)

I bought a print of http://www.tettix.net/lordran/lordran.html . Eagerly awaiting something for this game.

How are the infamous loading screens, beef?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Suspicious Dish posted:

No way around it: they really are as bad as you've heard. My copy is digital so it should all be off the hard drive. I don't understand fully why the loads take so long, but they really do.

It's not nearly as bad as Sonic 06 where everything can spawn a long loading screen. It's pretty much death/teleporting here and as hard as these games are, deaths are usually a couple minutes apart at their most frequent. I left a couple here and there (mostly video 1?) - if you see a particularly short one, I've probably edited it to keep conversation going. (I think one of the videos, I actually cut from one loading screen to another so you might not even notice you've missed a no-progress gameplay section.)

It's annoying, but not a dealbreaker.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Crap. I've been delayed getting to play Bloodborne and you've already caught up to where I am. I'm going to have to Get Gud and make some progress so I can watch the videos without getting spoiled.

Suspicious Dish posted:

I bought a print of http://www.tettix.net/lordran/lordran.html . Eagerly awaiting something for this game.

Was New Londo Ruins below Lost Izalith? It's beautiful either way.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Very excited to see this - this is exactly the game I want to see played more than I want to play it.

EDDryden
Jan 31, 2013

Travic posted:

Bed of Chaos was the game's low point in terms of both quality and geography :v:

Excited to see more. Nothin' quite like a blind Souls playthrough!

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.

Travic posted:

Not quite, but if you flatten it out it's close.

Here's the video that inspired that print - it's someone pulling out the 3d map data into a model viewer and showing it off.
One cool point - long before the DLC was released, people realised that the cave where you enter it is right beneath Artorias' grave from this.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Shouldn't Ash Lake be the lowest point, geographically?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

When are you going to record next so I can "help" you?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

mcclay posted:

Shouldn't Ash Lake be the lowest point, geographically?

I think the bed of chaos is below an archtree that it would have used as fuel for the flame. So technically it's just below an archtree (at the roots of it) whereas the ash lake is at the bottom of an archtree ("ground"' level-)

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I've only watched the first video so far, but I gotta tell you, you make me feel a lot better about how I play compared to you.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

On the subject of loading, apparently they are at least aware that its a problem and the first patch they are working on is primarily geared towards editing it down as much as possible. Or so I've heard.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

CuwiKhons posted:

I've only watched the first video so far, but I gotta tell you, you make me feel a lot better about how I play compared to you.

I get better in the next 4 videos!

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Bloodborne is the only recent game I've played on my own that my wife has remember the name of solely due to it being on screen every time she wanders on past. Likewise my son calls it the "angry word game". That works on multiple levels.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

The Dark Id posted:

Bloodborne is the only recent game I've played on my own that my wife has remember the name of solely due to it being on screen every time she wanders on past. Likewise my son calls it the "angry word game". That works on multiple levels.

The question is, is it just from the name always being up or is it from the angry words you are almost certainly shouting as you get gangbanged by werewolves?

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

slowbeef posted:

I get better in the next 4 videos!

You were also perfectly competent by the end of your Dark Souls playthrough.

Also, you should totally check windows with red lamps next to them as well as doors.

Wagrid fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Let us cleanse these foul streets.

• Locked thread