Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Also you can buy the emblem for that gate in the hunters dream from the bath venders. Second thought actually will spoil this just in case but there is a npc in the chapel next to the lantern you just walked right on by

Also if it's cool then will say the wooden shield DOES have it's uses eventually but there's a good chance you'll probably forget about it by the time said situations show up.

Edit: Actually slowbeef, there is something that you can easily screw yourself out of but it spans the entire game so I'm not sure how you want to approach that. Like where you are now till the end.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Wait, I walked by a lantern?! Where?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

slowbeef posted:

Very start of the zone in the chapel. You didn't walk by it, you walked by something important right by it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

slowbeef posted:

No it's the same lantern, you just missed a npc right next to it :v: That's what I was talking about in my post.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Edit: Actually slowbeef, there is something that you can easily screw yourself out of but it spans the entire game so I'm not sure how you want to approach that. Like where you are now till the end.

Let me try to tease this out.

Is this a thing you think it'd be more entertaining to see me fail at, and have to do an NG+ to get the second time?

Or is it something I wouldn't even know I missed, so it's more entertaining that I know now?

Like this is a total guess on my part: I've heard the game has multiple endings - even a bad one. I'm wondering if you have to never transform to get the good ending. Note I do not know what transformation entails or how to do it, but I'm just spitballing.

shinmai
Oct 9, 2007

CHK Instruction

Kurtofan posted:

No it's the same lantern, you just missed a npc right next to it :v: That's what I was talking about in my post.

shinmai posted:

In the cathedral ward introduction cut-scene, Jack seems characteristically nonplussed by the creepy skeleton-hand person by the door, and just walks on by.
My guess is these are related.

slowbeef posted:

edit: Also what the gently caress did I miss in Cathedral Ward? I have no idea where to go, even after editing. Maybe there was a stairway by Alfred it looked like?

I have no idea, but Alfred said "the Healing Church has declared Byrgenwerth forbidden ground. It's unclear how many of it's scholars remain alive but only they know the password that allows passage through the gate."
Dunno, maybe you need to get the hook-up from some scholar dudes?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
It's probably an NPC with a quest that is only around until you beat some boss or another.

Um, also, from what Alfred said did these guys seriously like unearth some creepy monster thing and just for shits start injecting its blood into people and go 'welp seems to heal them' and now whoops everyone's turning into HORRIBLE MONSTERS because that's kinda what I got out of it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

slowbeef posted:

Let me try to tease this out.

Is this a thing you think it'd be more entertaining to see me fail at, and have to do an NG+ to get the second time?

Or is it something I wouldn't even know I missed, so it's more entertaining that I know now?

Like this is a total guess on my part: I've heard the game has multiple endings - even a bad one. I'm wondering if you have to never transform to get the good ending. Note I do not know what transformation entails or how to do it, but I'm just spitballing.

It's ending related. Without going into it there are 4 key items in the game at various points in the game. You need 3 of them for the true final boss and it's respective good ending, you can make it so you only get 2 in the entire game and it's impossible to face said boss by doing a sequence too early, or missing a NPC.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop
One small tip:
Press on the right side of your touchpad, it opens up another item select menu (like the one in the top left corner of the screen). I like putting combat items, like knifes/molotovs, in the normal one and non-combat stuff, like the notebook, in the touchpad one. That way I don't have to cycle through too many items in the heat of the moment.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, you're almost where I got to last, guess I better play some more before watching the next update. Saying that, I never found that place with the giant ball and chain guys, so I will go find that first.

I did get blown up by the weird explodey thing though. Except I jumped into it like an idiot because I thought it might be something nice.

I think those giants were wearing little hats? :3:

Genocyber posted:

You can use the music box when he's human as well. You can use it multiple times but if you use it too much he will transform early.

I found this out the first time I fought him. Things did not go well. Was pretty helpful when I was helping someone in co-op though. Managed to save the host a couple of beatings. Also me and the other summoned help twinkled our music boxes at each other before the fight. It was very silly.

shinmai
Oct 9, 2007

CHK Instruction
Two questions:
1. The monocular: That's like a pimp version of Dark Souls' binoculars, right? If it is, drat you slowbeef for not using it where you got it, that was one sweet binocularing spot.
2. Do the enemies have any "real" names in Bloodborne? Is there some sort of bestiary or other thingamabob that would reveal the real name for what should clearly be known as the Triple-Em Gang (Michael Myers Motherfuckers)?

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's ending related. Without going into it there are 4 key items in the game at various points in the game. You need 3 of them for the true final boss and it's respective good ending, you can make it so you only get 2 in the entire game and it's impossible to face said boss by doing a sequence too early, or missing a NPC.

So does the game give you an indication that you need these said items to get this good ending? If not that's really loving stupid.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ReturnOfFable posted:

So does the game give you an indication that you need these said items to get this good ending? If not that's really loving stupid.

The item description of said items hint at it, but it's very much a secret ending.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 7, 2015

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Kurtofan posted:

The item description of said items hint at it, but it's very much a secret ending.

There's also notes lying around with one specifically mentioning these 3 items.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

WaltherFeng posted:

There's also notes lying around with one specifically mentioning these 3 items.

The note about it though in dick-move fashion is after you could of screwed up getting 2 of the items, but yeah it's kind of obtuse. Will leave it there as it's getting too far ahead and waiting for Slowbeef to chime in on the subject

shinmai posted:

Two questions:
1. The monocular: That's like a pimp version of Dark Souls' binoculars, right? If it is, drat you slowbeef for not using it where you got it, that was one sweet binocularing spot.
2. Do the enemies have any "real" names in Bloodborne? Is there some sort of bestiary or other thingamabob that would reveal the real name for what should clearly be known as the Triple-Em Gang (Michael Myers Motherfuckers)?

The enemies have official From names that will show up in the official guide but in game nah, mostly just "Angry guy with fork." Also should go tell window guy you found the chapel :3:

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 7, 2015

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Also because it came up and I think was forgotten I guess there's a lady in that very first place in the game where you get killed by that werewolf you should talk to?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
My To-Do List

- Talk to the NPC at the clinic in the beginning
- Post Dr. Bloodbutter's awesome bare-handed werewolf fight from the beginning
- Post Dr. Bloodbutter's fight with Gascoigne (music box examined and employed)
- Make a third character to summon the NPC at the beginning with the bell
- Talk to the NPC in Yharnam by the second lantern, now that I've been to Cathedral Ward
- Read More Item Descriptions
- Post the Intro (we didn't know there was one until a recording ago!)
- Note the doll is holding a beast hand
- Check in on the crying kid
- Talk to the NPC at the beginning of Cathedral Ward
- Go to the stairway near Alfred to Progress
- Level up Strength to use Kirkhammer
- Buy and use a Saw Cleaver
- Buy and use a Kirkhammer
- Try on that new outfit!

I'll 100% this thing yet!

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 7, 2015

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Theres an optional area you can get to in the Cathedral Ward at this point in the game, but I'm not sure how to get to it . I think you have to go right after exiting Oedon Chapel.

shinmai
Oct 9, 2007

CHK Instruction

slowbeef posted:

My To-Do List
- use the Monocular.

Jack Slate don't take no poo poo from giant convicts.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
drat, love how the cape actually flutters during the enemysplosion. Games usually only bother with fabric-physics for movement or scripted environmental wind or something.

alakasam
Sep 15, 2011
The secret area in the Cathedral Ward people are talking about unlocks after beating a certain boss. (I do know which one) Thing is about the Cathedral Ward is that it has a ton of different exits and secrets. If the question is, "Did I miss anything in the Cathedral Ward?" The answer is probably yes.

shinmai
Oct 9, 2007

CHK Instruction

HenryEx posted:

drat, love how the cape actually flutters during the enemysplosion. Games usually only bother with fabric-physics for movement or scripted environmental wind or something.

I thought it was really cool that just the enemy falling down in front of the character made the cape and coat flutter a little bit. I don't know if that's just coincidence and the explosion force modifier thingamajig has two phases (the first flutter did a drat good job of setting all the cloth stuff in pretty much the best possible shot to illustrate the explosion), or if larger enemies falling always generate forces for the cloth sim, but that really made that thing falling look awesome. Completely drew attention away from the fact that it was clipping with the tree all over the place just seconds before. I'm really enamored with the design of this game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Cape physics in this game are great, if you use the gesture Eileen gives you (the brush off cape one) with a npc behind you you'll flutter their clothes too.

It's also super goofy going down elevators.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Considering stat descriptions, I'm curious about something - did the beef lose most of his health to Frenzy when he got grabbed by the space wormhole because it gave him a point of insight and he went past the bloodnuts threshold? Or does that thing just turn you inside-out one way or the other?

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

You can (and should) smash O when you get knocked down, you get up much faster.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

HMS Boromir posted:

Considering stat descriptions, I'm curious about something - did the beef lose most of his health to Frenzy when he got grabbed by the space wormhole because it gave him a point of insight and he went past the bloodnuts threshold? Or does that thing just turn you inside-out one way or the other?

Being Frenzied just takes away 70% of HP.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

HMS Boromir posted:

To be clear this is pure speculation on my part as I've played this game but not past the 4th boss: I think Frenzy is akin to Bleed damage from the Souls games. Some enemies do Frenzy damage and it doesn't seem to do anything until the meter is full, then you take an assload of damage.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

slowbeef posted:

My To-Do List
- Try on those sweet duds you found

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Right, but does that wormhole frenzy you every time or is that a side effect of the insight it gives you? The stat screen mentions a link between insight and frenzy but it would be weird if gaining a point of humanzo-equivalent was tied to your organs exploding like party favors.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

JT Jag posted:

- Try on those sweet duds you found

Dressborne: Prepare to Pay the Dry-Cleaners A Lot.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

HMS Boromir posted:

Right, but does that wormhole frenzy you every time or is that a side effect of the insight it gives you? The stat screen mentions a link between insight and frenzy but it would be weird if gaining a point of humanzo-equivalent was tied to your organs exploding like party favors.

The link between frenzy and insight you're speaking of simply means the more insight you have the lower your frenzy resistance is, which means that the bar is shorter.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Ah. Thanks.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

HMS Boromir posted:

That particular thing gives you Frenzy no matter what. It isn't till much later in the game Frenzy as a status you can avoid becomes important.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
You need to look around more carefully rather than just blitzing from one 'room' to the next. If you see a path don't just run straight down it, look around and see what else is in the room you're currently in.

It's videogames 101 Beef.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Teddles posted:

You need to look around more carefully rather than just blitzing from one 'room' to the next. If you see a path don't just run straight down it, look around and see what else is in the room you're currently in.

It's videogames 101 Beef.

Yeah, there was definitely more to see at the creepy chapel where you meet that creepy Alfred dude.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.

slowbeef posted:

My To-Do List

- Buy the emblem to open the gate from the shop in the Dream. It's not 100% required, but it opens up a lot of the area a little earlier than otherwise possible. It's not the same one that was "Closed By A Device".

Kloro fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 7, 2015

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

BTW, that bridge you were trying to get to at the end of the video? That's the bridge where you fought the Chapel Beast, and that door that was "Closed" was the other side of the door next to the gate where the Chapel Beast was. For reasons I assume amount to loading and asset streaming and whatnot, those doors never actually open, and don't have the other area loaded behind them if you maneuver the camera.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also you should probbably read what Fire Paper does.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you're wondering why you got that visceral attack off on monster mike there, i think it's because you did a charged attack close enough on its rear end that the game was like "huh, sure, why not" and let you stagger it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also you should probbably read what Fire Paper does.

If it's anything less than throwing cards like Gambit, I'm gonna be disappointed.

• Locked thread