Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

8raz posted:

zamora and rooneys were really good but there's a reason why goals that far out are rare. i think i can remember like, two times offhand when players have attempted it and failed (there's almost certainly way more but they're usually just seen as wasteful and forgotten quickly).

adam did what pele couldn't so if you think about it, he's actually better.

Rooney used to try it like at least every other game.

Im a bit worried that Herrera is getting hyped a bit too much. He's improved every game, but he still makes some very stupid passes backwards rather than taking a risk and playing a forwarf ball. He played one pass on Saturday that was played from the wing back to the keeper, and another from the wing to Rojo that sailed over his head.

The Herrera-Valencia-Mata combo is a big part of why we're on form lately tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Blue Star Error posted:

Its because Moyes got slated everytime they played a long ball but now a fancy Dutchman is playing hoofball its tactical genius

Are we playing hoofball then?

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Blue Star Error posted:

Yep only QPR play more long balls. Fact.

Long balls and long passes are different things

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Blue Star Error posted:

Yeah its a long ball when an British man tells them to do it, and a long pass when a foreign man does

Moyes didnt make us play long ball from what I recall, he was utterly clueless and as previously said tried to convert Fellaini into a position he hadnt excelled in before

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
Yeah the last like 4-5 years at United have been dogshit football but when you win you dont care : see Mourinho, Jose

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

chuggo is BACK posted:

Dyche if they stay up, people love Mourinho and they'll walk the title, otherwise yeah Koeman (and it should be him imo)

Pardew all day long

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Alex_R posted:

But Koeman and Mourinho are still above team Pards (the silver fox) in that pic

With much better teams.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Dudley posted:

I'm not sure that's true in Koeman's case. Easy to forget where we expected Southampton to be before the season.

I expected them to be above Palace and Newcastle and Im not sure you'd say Southampton had a worse squad than either of those teams

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Monday Bandele posted:

Moyes's big mistake was not giving Rio, Vidic and Giggs the boot as soon as he came in

Rio could have got the boot but I would have kept Vidic even for this season.

Moyes is a small time manager

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
You wouldnt catch any swansea players doing that

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
I tell you what, Pep couldnt handle managing a proper side like Stoke. Or Swansea ftw.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
Ronaldinho was going to sign for us in 2003 instead of Barca, I always would have liked to see him in the Premier League.

It turned out ok because we signed Ronaldo instead, which might not have happened

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Hoops posted:

Yes it's really dumb that the young player is 23 and under, yes it should be 21.

Hazard and De Gea are both 24

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

THATCHER BRAINWASH posted:

Who do you think should win it, The Big Taff Man

Kane and probably either Hazard or De Gea tho its retarded you can get nominated for both. The first should be for emergence and the second for consistency.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Ninpo posted:

Blind, Carrick, Jones and Rojo all out of the Chelsea match. :suicide:

Rooney playing as a deep lying midfielder while Falcao and Di Maria both start in the number 9 and 10 roles and score all the goals (lol no chance)

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

TelekineticBear! posted:

every cloud and all that

Not really, all the injuries means its gonna be McNair or Blackett. Maybe even Rooney playing as a defender!

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
Falcaos gonna do a Forlan vs Liverpool performance and grab 2 goals and be rememebered by the fans for that rather than wasting opportunities

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Machinegunboyo posted:

The worst bit is how content Van Gaal and the fans are. It's been lauded as United's performance of the season. They only got to play that way because Mourinho let them. He let them have free reign of the ball because he knew they could do nothing with it, and United thanked him with a goal he wasn't too concerned about getting. Shambolic. Pathetic.

Its been hailed as a good performance because with the players we had out we should have got well and truly bummed and instead Mourinho played a poo poo game to play the opposition rather than let his team overrun us

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

African AIDS cum posted:

That's delusional thinking from those unable to face the reality that your club is nowhere near being a title contender after spending 200 million pounds

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Lol mourinho played the perfect game, you can't keep using the excuse that you had injuries. Your team is just poo poo against anyone decent.

Im not saying we should have won? Im saying it was a good performance given the injuries.

Also our record against the top teams this season is very good, this was the table pre our match with Chelsea

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Barry Shitpeas posted:

This is complete nonsense. You can say the performance was bad because of the injuries but that doesn't make it a good performance.

You cant play well in losing? 70% of posession and double the amount of shots against the champions when injuries hit.

I expected us to struggle to hit the champs league spots this year and so Im pretty happy right now.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

ephex posted:

It's clear to see that Manchester United won the match 0-1.

Yeah this is exactly what Im saying.

I thought we'd get bummed. We didnt and instead Chelsea played shite football to grind out a 1-0 win when we were ripe for the taking.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Blue Star Error posted:

Chelsea, Arsenal, possibly Man City

Arsenal who are a point above us and City who are a point behind us?

If I was going to give reasons it would be the defence, an inability to find someone to replace Carrick, no 20 goal a season striker.

I think points 1 and 3 will be addressed in the summer but having to bring in a couple of defenders and expect them to gel immediately is a tough task, and Falcao was an attempt at tackling that and he flopped

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

TelekineticBear! posted:

you have this, hes called Wayne Rooney

He hasnt scored 20 goals in a few years and only ever done it twice i think

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

TelekineticBear! posted:

its bloody moronic, Rooney in the seasons where he has been the main striker and focus of the attack has absolutely took the piss in the league back in 09-10 and 11-12 he was the main man and he tore the league apart. Just because he works hard he seems to get shafted into midfield even though he isnt anywhere near as effective and a real midfielder should be playing. Rooney is a great player and is constantly used ineffectively, both for man united and for england

Nice wikipediaing, what happened in 10-11?

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

TelekineticBear! posted:

man united walked the league and Rooney was again the main man but didnt score as many goals?! I cant believe im having to argue with a Man united fan that Rooney is in fact an insanely sick player lol

Im not saying he's not a good player, I'd have him in my team all day long, but he's not a goalscorer in the same way you'd say an RVP or Costa was. He's a much more rounded player. His big problem when playing up front on his own is he gets isolated from play and ends up coming back further and further into the midfield and then you end up with no one up front.

The reason I want a goalscorer is I'd rather Rooney playing in the spot he prefers which lately Fellaini has been occupying.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

PirateBob posted:

Doubt it, it's just a rumor. It wouldn't be out of character for Liverpool though. Balotelli, Lambert, Markovic... why not add another worthless wage thief up front?

For what its worth I think Falcao will do great at his next club

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

When someone makes fun of a bad player at your club you can't just make up a dumb rumor that suggests that your rival are going to buy said player.

Its the Express suggesting it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/32376071

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

not not luvd posted:

this times a billion

also lmao at 'look at how much possession we had' against a team who's entire thing is literally letting the other team have the ball but not letting them do anything with it

No ones saying that. LVG said it was a good performance. I think given the injuries we had it was. We were ripe for the picking and to be bent over and given a lesson, instead if anything they seem to have given United confidence for next season.

If we'd had the first 11 out and had the same result it would have been a different opinion.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

not not luvd posted:

mourinho would have played the exact same way regardless of who you fielded

You keep saying this so I looked up Chelsea vs top 5

United we know
vs Arsenal 47% - 5 shots to 10 won 2-0
vs City 43% 3 shots to 9 - 1-1 draw
vs Liverpool 54% - 19 shots to 16 won 1-0

If you thought that was a bad United performance then maybe you havent watched us, or maybe I've watched too much of us. Bad United performances would be something like the 1-1 draw with West Ham where we looked totally devoid of imagination. Or *in sassasin voice* the match vs swansea in the opening day of the season

Ciprian Maricon posted:

lmao I just realized Hernandez has scored as much for Real as Falcao has for United

Hernandez will get a goal but offer nothing in all round play, I thought he'd do well at Madrid at literally just sticking the ball in the net. Welbecks scored the same as Falcao too.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Jose posted:

Haven't Chelsea played most/all of those teams twice this season?

I looked at Stamford bridge matches.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
Youre well behind on the five steps of grief they all happened last season with David Moyes

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

vyelkin posted:

If you had a goal but nothing else in all round play you would have drawn Chelsea 1-1 instead of losing 1-0.

If you think that all players are equal then idk what to say. Hernandez had a ton of chances in Moyes season and showed he wasnt worthy of a starting place. He never has been over his career there.

Welbeck I love to bits and he'd probably work well in this way of playing but he still wouldnt grab goals.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I did forget to account for Welbecks wages but he's on what, 3.9 million a year?

I like the way you post this as if its a figure youre guessing when its the figure that comes up when you google "Welbeck wages"

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I'm asking since that was from 2014 and I don't know what he's on now Taff.

lol, I googled a thing I didn't know, how criminal, should I just be making things up?

I just found it funny that you were like "hes on what 3.9 mill a year" as if you were estimating rather than saying "I just googled and it says hes on 3.9 mill a year but idk if thats true"

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Shrapnig posted:

Is Wilson still injured or is he just getting more time in the U-21s/reserves and whatnot?

He played tonight, with RVP upfront

Wonder if people like Maradona will start saying RVP playing in the reserves is him being treated as a disgrace like they did when Falcao played there

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
Falcao was a massive massive risk that didnt pay off, but eh poo poo happens. At least hes not as embarrassing as Balotelli on social media

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

blue footed boobie posted:

I don't think Welbeck is really a bad transfer. He's quite good on the wing but he just isn't a striker, and he's still Arsenals second best striker given the competition (none). He was a bit expensive, but no England international under 25 is going to come cheap.

I think Welbeck would be great in the system we're playing now tbh. I feel bad when I see all the Arsenal fans turning on him

But then again I still think Ravel Morrison is not far from being an amazing player

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
Id have taken the risk on Falcao again tbh. It was better than doling out the money to buy him at 43 million and then getting stuck

United took a risk on Van Nistelrooy in a similar way and it paid off big time.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Paperhouse posted:

I'm glad, he's a good player

Same here he's been playing well lately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Jose posted:

I was told its FA policy now that all attendances are listed as tickets sold rather than people actually in the stadium. No idea if thats true though

Yeah this is true, I know United do it a lot.

• Locked thread