Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Welcome to the FINAL seven episodes of this series, folks. We've had a long journey. From Chip N Dip to the Carousel to Guy walking into an advertising agency to Roger's fun LSD adventures to Fat Betty (ugh, stupid music video) to Lane punching the poo poo out of Pete to PIZZA HOUSE, it's been a fun ride.

With that said, we're finally at the 1970s (I think so, I haven't read any spoilers so far).

Main Characters:

Don Draper (Jon Hamm):

Spent most of the first half wandering aimlessly between LA and NY, trying to find sense of his work and personal life. Eventually, Roger and the rest of the partners reluctantly let him come back to work, starting from the bottom. With that persuasive swagger though, he finds his way back up, even with the whole Phillip Morris fiasco.

Peggy Olson (Elizabeth Moss):

Being a homeowner with DO NEVER BUY home issues and working her way up the corporate ladder has been a struggle for Peggy. On the other hand there are moments where she's definitely shined brightly, most recently with the Burger Chef presentation.

Pete Campbell (Vincent Kartheiser):

Though working in LA and having a hot blonde lady friend was a great time for Pete, the honeymoon period pretty much wore off rather quickly. He's still a close ally with Don despite the issues they've had in the past, even supporting him with coming back to SC&P as a partner.

Roger Sterling (John Slattery):

He's still doing his thing at SC&P to keep the company afloat, whether working to acquire new accounts or to merge with existing agencies. Family-wise, his daughter is pretty much a brainwashed hippie and he's still single after his divorces. That LSD sequence was still one of the best scenes though.

Joan Harris (Christina Hendricks):

Now working in Accounts and as a partner in SC&P, Joan's been rather vocal of Don coming back to the office. She's still as strong and sassy as ever, though. Also, she rejected a marriage proposal from Bob Bunson.

Harry Crane (Rich Sommer):

Harry is finally was almost a partner at SC&P, spending most of the first half of the season in LA. A good ally to Don, who accidentally spills the beans that Don was to be shitcanned by Lou and Cutler. Is generally ignored even though he claims he's a big shot.

Stan Rizzo (Jay R. Ferguson):

Still the main art director at SC&P. He found Lou Avery's art hilarious. Still talks to Peggy pretty often.

Ken Cosgrove (Aaron Staton):

Ken was better off writing short stories than staying at SC&P, tbh

Ted Chaough (Kevin Rahm):

Loved working in LA so much that he wanted to kill himself. But with the developments that take place at the end of the first half concerning the agency merger, he's probably a good candidate to jump off the building.

Dawn Chambers (Teyonah Parris):

Went from being Don's secretary to head of Personnel. I don't recall her doing a whole lot besides sitting in on meetings throughout the first half though.

Meredith (Stephanie Drake)

Don's current secretary, about as ditzy as you could expect. Tried to give Don a pity kiss, which was hilarious. Hopefully she's still around for the second half.

Megan Draper (Jessica Pare):

After trying to reconcile their marriage, she basically implies to Don that it's pretty much over. She also has her life in LA to deal with as well, but there's also some weird Sharon Tate consipracy theory that may or may not hold up as the season progresses.

Betty Francis (January Jones):

Still married to Henry Francis, though there have been cracks forming in that marriage. With Bobby and Sally growing up, there's probably a significant change in her relationship with the kids coming real soon as well.

Henry Francis (Christopher Stanley):

Hates Don, and is starting to feel the effects of a marriage hitting a rock real soon.

Sally Draper (Kiernan Shipka):

Being a typical teenager. Will do dumb confusing teenager stuff to piss off her parents, but to piss off Betty primarily.

Characters you may see once in a while:

Bob Benson (James Wolk):

Somehow slept his way up to GM, but learns he may lose an account (Chevy/Buick, I don't remember, he's just a slut). Tries to ask Joan to marry him for a career boost, but is denied.

Jim Cutler (Harry Hamlin):

Dislikes Don a whole lot, spent a good chunk of the first half trying to remove him in favor of Lou Avery. But Lou sucks, and so does Jim. So when it came time for the merger with McCann-Erickson, he decides to cash out. Not sure if we'll see much of him in the second half, so who knows.

Freddy Rumsen (Joel Murray)

Freelancer, Designated Driver to Don Draper

Trudy Campbell (Alison Brie):

Still hates Pete obviously, but is still around only because of their kid.

Bobby Draper (Mason Vale Cotton)
no one cares about him

Characters you probably won't see again (or maybe not?) :

Michael Ginsberg (Ben Feldman):

"They're homos. The computer makes men do unnatural things."

Bert Cooper (Robert Morse)

Saw the moon landing, said gently caress it he wanted to go too.

Lane Pryce (Jared Harris)

Last seen getting all hung up. (Jared Harris is apparently directing the fourth episode of the second half this season)

Lois / Guy (Crista Flanagan / Jamie Thomas King)

They're definitely not coming back, I just thought I would include this screenshot because :lol::lol::lol:

Salvatore Romano (Bryan Batt):

Please be okay or alive :(

Links

Mad Men Website (via AMC): http://www.amctv.com/shows/mad-men
Mad Men Wiki: http://madmen.wikia.com/wiki/Mad_Men_Wiki
Tom and Lorenzo: http://tomandlorenzo.com/tag/mad-men/ (This is the Lucky Strike of all review sites, all other sites are not so great ... plus, they LOVE obsessing over color themes and picking Janie Bryant's head)
Old threads from Archives:
Let me know if I missed anyone or anything, there's probably a good chance I did.

Dancing Peasant fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Harry Crane isn't a partner, FYI. He was negotiating to be one in the first half of this season but the buyout from McCann happened before he signed the deal.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Whoops, let me edit that out. I was skimming through the last couple of episodes on Netflix and thought he ended up being a partner.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

A good OP. Its finally sinking in that this starts back up in 3 days and that it'll be over in 2 months.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Harry's kind of a douche but it seems to me Don really owes him a cut of his share. He probably won't get it though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

this_is_hard posted:

Harry Crane isn't a partner, FYI. He was negotiating to be one in the first half of this season but the buyout from McCann happened before he signed the deal.
Even better, he could've been one sooner but was holding out to weasel out of paying more in his divorce.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ5BfSjyzgo

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh man, this starts this Sunday? For some reason I thought it was next Sunday.

I don't want this show to be over :smith:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
There's no way this half season and subsequent finale won't be absolutely amazing. Looking forward to recommending this show in its entirety to every smart person I know.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

gently caress, I completely forgot about the whole McCann thing... That'll certainly change things up.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I kind of don't want this season to start because it means it'll be over soon, I don't think that ever happened to me before.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
I'm so torn on the show coming back. While I am excited to see the new season I am sad that its episodes are numbered until the finale.

Just hoping that Pete survives until the end and doesn't get eaten by a bear. Or shoved out a window. :ohdear:

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?
Yay! So glad about the thread title.

gently caress. I'm going to miss this show so goddamn much :(

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

courtney_beth posted:

I'm so torn on the show coming back. While I am excited to see the new season I am sad that its episodes are numbered until the finale.

Just hoping that Pete survives until the end and doesn't get eaten by a bear. Or shoved out a window. :ohdear:

I'm going for shot by his own rifle.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
You forgot Glenn Bishop there's no loving way he isn't in the final episodes. No loving way he isn't.

Though definitely arguable that he should be in the show or the OP.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Lugaloco posted:

I'm going for shot by his own rifle.

Then cremated, ashes interred into a Chip 'n Dip.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
If it's isk's scenario coming to fruition in the finale, then I am okay with it. Chip-n-Dip/Riffle is the best part of MadMen.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Everyone else drinks themselves to death, Peggy for president.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
Still hoping for a Harry and the Computer spinoff.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So do any of the companies/dead people shown in a bad light on the show ever get upset at their portrayal? Surely Jaguar and Lucky Strike would have something to say about their appearances.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

On the subject of Jaguar, They were pretty happy to see their car fail.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Steve2911 posted:

So do any of the companies/dead people shown in a bad light on the show ever get upset at their portrayal? Surely Jaguar and Lucky Strike would have something to say about their appearances.

Considering cigarette ads have been banned on tv for over 40 years it's pretty much the only publicity they get.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

IAs far as I know the Lucky Strike brand enjoyed a huge rise in popularity due to Mad Men, at least in the US where it was pretty dead before.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

comes along bort posted:

Considering cigarette ads have been banned on tv for over 40 years it's pretty much the only publicity they get.

Fair point. I guess there's not much beyond those two companies that can't be brushed off with 'it was the 60s!' Well Conrad Hilton was a bit of a prick but you could just call it a strong personality.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Nail Rat posted:

Harry's kind of a douche but it seems to me Don really owes him a cut of his share. He probably won't get it though.

The best thing about Harry is that he's right - by any objective measure he should be a partner and screwing him over will probably bite SC&P badly eventually - but he's such an idiot baby he's never going to be able to do anything about it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

The best thing about Harry is that he's right - by any objective measure he should be a partner and screwing him over will probably bite SC&P badly eventually - but he's such an idiot baby he's never going to be able to do anything about it.

Harry has tons of reasons that support him being a partner. One of his earlier lines was "70 cents out of every dollar this company makes goes to the TV budget, my budget" and he was the only one who had the foresight to see the importance of TV and create his own job.

He's also such a doofus that he's blown so many chances to gain influence and just does not get what he needs to do to succeed. Him waffling on signing the partner papers because of his wife maybe divorcing him/wanting more money is exactly the mentality that has kept him back all this time.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I hate him but somehow, some way, I want them to check in on how Kinsey is doing.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

We all want Kinsey to be part of the Manson family.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Fooley posted:

I hate him but somehow, some way, I want them to check in on how Kinsey is doing.

The Krishna episode with Kinsey was excellent. I hated Kinsey before then, but somehow reversed course...he's just so sad and earnest now.

That Lakshmi. Toying with his emotions. The Negron Complex was a masterpiece and how dare she doubt its potential.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My partner just marathoned 3 seasons while I was away for a weekend.

I come back and what episode is it?

Yep, the goddamn Sal episode. :negative: It's such a kick in the gut.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is it on at 9 or 10? I hate to have to choose between Mad Men and Game of Thrones starting next week.

EDIT: It does but I was lamenting next week \/

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 5, 2015

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
I thought Mad Men started today? :(

Edit:

That was cruel. And to respond to my devastated state in an edit so I didn't get notified?

Thanks, Hitler. :(

Shadow fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 6, 2015

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
oh gently caress i forgot this started. woo

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Is it on at 9 or 10? I hate to have to choose between Mad Men and Game of Thrones starting next week.

EDIT: It does but I was lamenting next week \/

10PM EST I believe

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am double hitler.

I can't help but think AMC thought that the demographics for Mad Men and GoT are fairly close and felt that moving it to 10 was a smart move.

Man, I barely remember a lot of last season. Completely forgot what a passive agressive jerk Don was when he first came back. But drat, I am going to tear up when he and Peggy reconcile and dance together again.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

courtney_beth posted:

If it's isk's scenario coming to fruition in the finale, then I am okay with it. Chip-n-Dip/Riffle is the best part of MadMen.

I forgot what Pete looked like without the world's worst widow's peak.

ssbbud
Jan 2, 2014
Don and Peggy's relationship over the course of the series is so loving good

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

i'm not ready for this to end

ssbbud posted:

Don and Peggy's relationship over the course of the series is so loving good
the last 10 minutes or so of The Strategy are my favorite 10 minutes or so of Mad Men

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I wanna be with them in that Burger Chef so badly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
:siren: "A very sensitive piece of horseflesh" was just heard on AMC :siren:

• Locked thread