Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Thanks, 2013!

Raven's Cry is a 2015 Role Playing Game (RPG for short) taking place in 17th century Caribbean (pronounced Caribbean). It follows the adventures of "Chris Raven", a pirate caught up in the crazy, mixed up world of the high seas and driven by vengeance. Chris's crew has been killed, and he means to get even with those what done the deed.

The game follows the exploits of Chris as he shops around town for better boat things, buys rum (pirates love this), swashbuckles, and acts rogue-ish. The game boasts a rich skill tree to customize your pirate exactly the way you want, along with a combat system of sorts. Full voice acting, 360 degrees of movement, a plane of polygons whose vertices move in step with what would be considered similar to water waves along with water-like textures creating the illusion of water utilizing bits on a computer; it has everything!

However, Raven's Cry has a metacritic rating of 29 out of 100. The patch notes tell an interesting story, one filled with missing voice files, spelling errors, and bugs that make the game unbeatable. Set sail for fun!

I'm judge "Complications from Scurvy" reinhold, joined by my two first mates Diaper "Poop Deck" Chris and Major "'Why is my rum gone.' - John 'Captain Jack Sparrow' Depp" Tom, the Men Sailin' Seas. We will be posting video let's plays in a way befitting of a pirate: on YouTube! YarTube! In 60 FPS! Frames Pirate Second!

We will be playing the unpatched 1.0 version for as long as possible, so join us, won't you, as we journey through this video game and meet all the colorful characters along the way.

judge reinhold fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

"Christopher Raven" - bhlaab

Ralepozozaxe

Niggurath

Kloro

Roman Reigns

Melaneus

Camel Pimp

Ralepozozaxe

Mugticket

Camel Pimp

Ralepozozaxe

Ralepozozaxe

RoadCrewWorker

Ralepozozaxe

Wizard Styles

MugTicket

Dimebags Brain

MugTicket

Dimebags Brain

Ralepazozaxe

Suspicious Cook

Ralepazozaxe

Dimebags Brain

Dr Scheme

Ralepazozaxe

bumble

Taciturn Tactician

Melaneus

Niggurath

drowZebra

drowZebra

Dramatic reading courtesy of Ulvirich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ewYCjbZ5Ik
AMV courtesy Moscow Mule

judge reinhold fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 18, 2015

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Man you have no idea what you're getting into.

You thought you saw some poo poo in Ride to Hell? Man you've seen nothing yet...

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Oh god, this game. I'm glad the Men Drinking Coffee continue to play only the most quality of quality video game entertainment.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

A Black Flag bargain-bin boating-adventure? It seemed promising at first, but it was all for naut.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
If Golden Compass taught me anything, it's that boats and any gameplay involving boats is going to end in disaster.

Also that god is dead and a polar bear killed him or something.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Geop posted:

A Black Flag bargain-bin boating-adventure? It seemed promising at first, but it was all for naut.

I will not tolerate this kind of posting in my thread.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

judge reinhold posted:

I will not tolerate this kind of posting in my thread.
What about gifs? Can I post lots of pirate gifs?

Heavy Hands
Jan 1, 2006

Helmut
the
Mysterion
Excellent first episode, I was in tears during the infinite animation loop.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The devs have been bombarding me with e-mails advertising this thing for about a year. Glad to see their proficiency in avoiding spam filters doesn't extend to game scripting.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 3, 2015

kurt phillips
Feb 1, 2014

Judge, your Post Diaper's-Death Transitions™ have reached a new nautical level!

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPIcwFKrTus

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Anthony :qq:

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Niggurath posted:

What about gifs? Can I post lots of pirate gifs?

Feel free, along with the rest of you "sea dogs".

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Thank you, Coffee Mans. I've been jonesing for videos of funny people playing bad games for too long now.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I think you activated Chris' limit break. It's a little-known fact pirates could in fact use citrus and rum to overclock their body and bend reality, becoming a dervish of death.

I hope it happens again so I can youtubedouble this music in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWU-ULmQj54 :allears:

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 3, 2015

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

YES

I have been so hyped for this LP since you announced it. Looking forward to your conquest of this mountain of garbage.

:allears:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Chris, the pirate.

CHRIS. The pirate.

You know, there's a reason why people remember Blackbeard the pirate and not Eddie the pirate.

It's cause a normal-sounding name is not pirate-y enough.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Always a good day when there's a new MDC LP.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

judge reinhold posted:

I claim this second post for Spain!!!

You lose -10 Reputation to Spain.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I can't wait to sail to Haiti and meet Wyclef Jean the Pirate.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
rip Anthony

This game looks like a quality production that everyone involved can be proud of. Does it open up into a fully free-roaming Grand Theft Boat?

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

If Nautical nonsense be something ye wish, Ra-ven's cry
Now drop on the deck and flop like a Chris

this is gonna be the best LP ever

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
That sword is so impractical.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The enemy AI in this game is great.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Telekinetic murder and enemies who don't really want to fight you. This is going to be amazing, I can already tell.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I bet no pirate takes Chris Raven seriously based on his name alone.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

goatface posted:

rip Anthony

This game looks like a quality production that everyone involved can be proud of. Does it open up into a fully free-roaming Grand Theft Boat?

From what I've seen of the game elsewhere I'd say it's not a contiguous world. Instead it's multiple large-ish zones separated by a map travel screen where you sail around (as an icon) and maybe run afoul of some enemies. So more like the original Fallout or maybe even the Wind Waker sequel they made for the DS?
Not sure if you can just go anywhere you want or if you have to wait for locations to be unlocked.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Telekinetic murder and enemies who don't really want to fight you. This is going to be amazing, I can already tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW3cougc0Wg

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
The main guy's voice sounds like someone doing a frog impression (assuming the frog was a pirate with hook legs). I can't wait for Diaperbeard Chrisbeard to demonstrate his impressive boat captaining abilities again in the future.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What the hell happened to Anthony <:reject:>

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

gently caress this game is intense! Never have I seen so many cutscenes that just have a model walk to a point, stop for 10 seconds, and then suddenly start to do stuff. It's like somewhere off screen is a director yelling out 'Action!"

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Niggurath posted:

gently caress this game is intense! Never have I seen so many cutscenes that just have a model walk to a point, stop for 10 seconds, and then suddenly start to do stuff. It's like somewhere off screen is a director yelling out 'Action!"

Its not supposed to be intense, its supposed to be dramatic. Pathos. Chris Birdman must weigh the heavy cost of tipping over a paperweight symbolizing something I guess

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

steinrokkan posted:

What the hell happened to Anthony <:reject:>

He's waiting in line for Star Wars tickets.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I love the really unnecessary pauses mid-sentence whenever Marcus is talking. Quality voice acting right there.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Are we gonna get to see the skill tree at least?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Holy crap, you sure know how to pick 'em

I don't even know if that counts as a compliment or insult.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Holy crap, you sure know how to pick 'em

I don't even know if that counts as a compliment or insult.
The real insult is if you look up the price of this game.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
As a mentally unstable person I also would like to know what happened to anthony.

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Niggurath posted:

The real insult is if you look up the price of this game.

They're trying to discourage people from buying it. It's a service to us all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

coleman francis posted:

As a mentally unstable person I also would like to know what happened to anthony.

He's in line waiting for the new Star Wars movie.

• Locked thread