Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaasen
Jun 8, 2011

Have you ever seen
anything so wonderful
in your entire life?
This game certainly seems a lot more tolerable than the last. To me, the biggest improvements are that the game allows you to get whatever information you need from multiple people and not always in a strict order, cutting down on linearity and wait time. Also, the task of paying rent gives you a small objective to complete each day and gives a feeling of daily progress/accomplishment, as opposed to going to a single meet up and then wasting time until you can go to sleep. It still doesn't seem fun even by the standards of 15ish years ago but I'm sure people were amazed just by the game's impression of a 'realistic' world at one time.

Also, I might be about to make myself look stupid here due to minimal knowledge, but aren't they pronouncing some plot words wrong? Wude should probably sound more like "ooo-duh" for example (though they may well be using Cantonese pronunciations that I know nothing about, poo poo). Wudu honestly sounds like a Japanese person trying to pronounce a Chinese word which would be a dumb thing to retain for an English dub but not really surprising at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
The Japanese version just pronounces it as if it were Japanese, "butoku", so presumably they didn't get their pronunciation from there.

coloncalamity
Sep 12, 2007
hehe it's like diarrhea get it

Kaasen posted:

Also, I might be about to make myself look stupid here due to minimal knowledge, but aren't they pronouncing some plot words wrong? Wude should probably sound more like "ooo-duh" for example (though they may well be using Cantonese pronunciations that I know nothing about, poo poo). Wudu honestly sounds like a Japanese person trying to pronounce a Chinese word which would be a dumb thing to retain for an English dub but not really surprising at this point.

There's a lot of weird poo poo going on. I found a pinyin to jyutping converter though, and it says 武德 is mou dak:

http://www.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php?page=chardict&cdcanoce=0&cdqchi=%E6%AD%A6%E5%BE%B7

I don't know dude. They give a Cantonese reading of Wan Chai consistently but with everything else it's just who loving knows. I don't think Delin says his name right either, and I assume that's the same "de" (德林?). There's other weird poo poo, like transliterating 功 as "gon" when it should obviously be "gong".

e: Also I googled this thing in Chinese and as far as I can tell it's something Shenmue just made up.

coloncalamity fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 10, 2015

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Man, that kung fu master was kind of a dick. Sure, Ryu blundered headfirst into one fauxpas after the other, but there's being miffed about something, and THEN there's being a mystically vague douche about it...

Also, it seems the ultimate martial arts technique is having your hitbox disabled :v:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

coloncalamity posted:

I don't think Delin says his name right either, and I assume that's the same "de" (德林?).

I can honestly believe Delin doesn't know how to pronounce his own name.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Does anything happen if you just sit there and not even attack her?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Once you're on disc 2(after following her map) you should go back to the Yan Tin apartments and talk to the guy on the third floor, I think you'll appreciate the conversation.

ProfessorBooty posted:

Does anything happen if you just sit there and not even attack her?

Yeah, the computer takes over and has Ryo do some moves before triggering the cutscene.

Kaasen
Jun 8, 2011

Have you ever seen
anything so wonderful
in your entire life?

coloncalamity posted:

There's a lot of weird poo poo going on. I found a pinyin to jyutping converter though, and it says 武德 is mou dak:

http://www.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php?page=chardict&cdcanoce=0&cdqchi=%E6%AD%A6%E5%BE%B7

I don't know dude. They give a Cantonese reading of Wan Chai consistently but with everything else it's just who loving knows. I don't think Delin says his name right either, and I assume that's the same "de" (德林?). There's other weird poo poo, like transliterating 功 as "gon" when it should obviously be "gong".

e: Also I googled this thing in Chinese and as far as I can tell it's something Shenmue just made up.

I guess I should say for anybody in the thread who doesn't know: Mandarin is the most commonly spoken variation of Chinese while Cantonese is what's spoken in Hong Kong. Mandarin and Cantonese share the same writing system but knowing both basically qualifies you as bilingual because they pronounce everything differently. The problem is that Shenmue transliterates 武德 as "wude" which not only indicates a Mandarin pronunciation that is probably inappropriate for the setting, but they're saying it wrong on top of that. So if the extra "e" when transliterating シェンムー to English sent you into a tail spin, Shenmue's crazy inconsistency with Chinese is sure to delight!

Edit: Actually, "share the same writing system" is a bit misleading as Hong Kong (and Taiwan and Macau) still use traditional characters rather than simplified characters.

Kaasen fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 11, 2015

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
While I am terrible at all languages the Mandarin/Cantonese translations posts are great. Feel free to keep doing them if you find something interesting to share.

Happyman
Jul 20, 2011

Say, do you take your mask off when you go to the bathroom?

annapacketstormaya posted:

I miss original Shenmue, which had the NPCs say a greater variety of inane things. Now they just say the same four "Pawn shops are in Neighborhood A", "Gambling is in Neighborhood B", "Lucky Hit man needs a clerk", and "I have no idea" or "I know exactly what you need to do to advance the plot".

I miss the assorted "suede-headed Ryo", "let's wrestle mister", and whatever the hell Tom had to say.

Agree. Although this game is still humorous, one of the funniest things about the original Shenmue are the NPCs that just spout nonsense or blow you off in various ways.

"Excuse me."
"EXCUSE ME!"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Two seconds into Ryo's stealth mission, he interrupts the first person he sees and asks them for directions.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
:frogsiren:Updates:frogsiren:
Ep 15 - Too Many Books (youtube)

edit: updated bios again

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 12, 2015

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Little Suede Headed Dio and his kung fu master Shoeing, plus an anime who wakes him up. All that's missing is Joy ripping into man mo temple on her david caruso motorcycle

I'm glad you guys immediately resorted to going full tilt and just jamming out the QTEs. If you finish all the books before noon that guy gives you a new move each time.

Ryo should get Delin in on this book carrying, he'd be a "shoe-in" for this job. WE'RE PUTTING IT DOWN! WUUHUGH!

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Ryo had no problem taking gently caress-sans piggy bank money and he's more of a child than Fangmei.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

I can't seem to find a way to make this into a perfect loop and that makes me sad.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Every time this loops I find a new favourite thing about it. Currently it's the suit guy that just fades into oblivion. :magical:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So what is with the game making you talk to people twice just to get them to say anything? It happens like half the time you guys try and talk to anyone.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Camel Pimp posted:

I can't seem to find a way to make this into a perfect loop and that makes me sad.

A hit-or-miss affair?

Danaru posted:

Every time this loops I find a new favourite thing about it. Currently it's the suit guy that just fades into oblivion. :magical:

That's Ryo's rapidly developing ki powers.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
So will you guys do the Fangmei sidequest?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Big Scary Owl posted:

So will you guys do the Fangmei sidequest?

i do not know if this is a joke or not

if its not, if we find it?

Tommy_Blanco
Oct 29, 2011
Man, Yu Suzuki was really ahead of his time. He made the first video game to feature an autistic protagonist. Truly groundbreaking. Did Ryo get vaccinated on the boat ride to Hong Kong? I don't remember him being nearly this derpy in the first one, other than when he was cruising for sailors.

Tommy_Blanco fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 13, 2015

Happyman
Jul 20, 2011

Say, do you take your mask off when you go to the bathroom?

Tommy_Blanco posted:

Man, Yu Suzuki was really ahead of his time. He made the first video game to feature an autistic protagonist. Truly groundbreaking. Did Ryo get vaccinated on the boat ride to Hong Kong? I don't remember him being nearly this derby in the first one, other than when he was cruising for sailors.

No, he definitely was in the first one. See any conversation he has with Nozomi.

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.

Momomo posted:

So what is with the game making you talk to people twice just to get them to say anything? It happens like half the time you guys try and talk to anyone.

There are a few "type of dialogue" choices. For some reason they decided to split these into separate conversations instead of just allowing the player to choose after greeting the NPC. On the plus side, after three seconds of having to deal with the walking mechanics you'll never complain about dialogue mechanics again.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Ryo, I'm a girl and underage, and so are you

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Kuvo posted:

i do not know if this is a joke or not

if its not, if we find it?
There is a very in-depth FAQ for that sidequest on gamefaqs, made by someone who really has put a lot of thought and effort into, uh, befriending a 14-year-old girl in a video game.

You know what you have to do. :getin:

edit: opening paragraph

quote:

Welcome to my first full length FAQ and Shtuff. I've always wanted to write one for GAMEFAQS.COM, but I don't really have much time will all the VideoGames, fansubbed anime, work, my wife, and my band to give my time to. This will teach you how to become a teenage stalker in the game Shenmue II for Dreamcast and XBox. The target? Fangmei Xun. Don't do this in real life....unless your 14...but don't stalk anyone period, k? It's against the law and morally wrong and shtuff.
I'm not sure why he spells the word "stuff" like that. Maybe he's one of those shoopuf driver guys from FFX.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 13, 2015

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Szurumbur posted:

Ryo, I'm a girl and underage, and so are you

This game is surprisingly progressive!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Fangmei is adorable :3: Please tell me the game doesn't do anything wierd or creepy with the underage girl.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Danaru posted:

Fangmei is adorable :3: Please tell me the game doesn't do anything wierd or creepy with the underage girl.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ep 16 - Sweet Info (youtube)

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

oh my god you found the sweet info guy

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Sweet info...

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

topiKal posted:

There are a few "type of dialogue" choices. For some reason they decided to split these into separate conversations instead of just allowing the player to choose after greeting the NPC. On the plus side, after three seconds of having to deal with the walking mechanics you'll never complain about dialogue mechanics again.

Now you've got me interested, how do they work? I thought you guys were just drunk the whole time.

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.

Momomo posted:

Now you've got me interested, how do they work? I thought you guys were just drunk the whole time.

When you talk to someone, the face buttons correspond to different topics. The top one with the dollar sign asks about money-related things (EG: part-time jobs, gambling, etc). The bottom one is general conversation. That's about it, really. If you want to ask about separate things, you have to restart the conversation.

It works, but is just very antiquated. That's why we constantly ask the same questions to various characters: there's no indication of what Ryo is actually going to say to them. It's pretty painful.

cofaigh
Dec 30, 2006
Ha ha... dangly parts
Spent the last few days catching up on these videos and they've not disappointed.

I would imagine a second playthrough of the game would consist entirely of hunting down the right face in the crowd.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ep 17 - We still can't do (youtube)

im sorry about this episode

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Does Ryo just leave his duffel bag at the other hotel room?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Kuvo posted:

im sorry about this episode

I know that feeling.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

These episodes were my very favourite in the original Shenmue LP :allears:

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine if Shenmue took place in modern times. How different would the games be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

ProfessorBooty posted:

Does Ryo just leave his duffel bag at the other hotel room?

"You left this for me? Oh, I will treasure it always, my love!"

• Locked thread