Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

I mean I could play it off as 'he might be a zombie but he has a heart of gold' but I would only do that if the rest of the party was up in arms about Khidash dropping the hammer on a party member or were on board the 'zombie Lars' train (I usually abhor the idea of PKing fellow members, but there is only so many lines that can be crossed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Sereia the paladin would probably not be keen on a zombie. And Darys would see you as in a state of torment needing to be ended with an axe.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
I could be lured into a quest line to cure you of your curse rather than send you to the grave. It's the right thing to do.

I would do the same thing for you if you somehow contracted lycanthropy. Or some other amazingly beneficial template.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Trast posted:

Sereia the paladin would probably not be keen on a zombie. And Darys would see you as in a state of torment needing to be ended with an axe.

Sereia probably wouldn't give a flying gently caress because that's how I feel about class fluff.
On the other hand I think it'd be cheesy and dumb, but that's mostly because I hate fun.

Like, if you want to be a zombie to get +2 DEX or whatever, just haggle with the DM about that poo poo and play a normal PC race; if you want to be a zombie for the sitcom value, I fall into the "don't be THAT guy" camp.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Lothire posted:

[Quilian Nailos]

His stealth training is once again going to be brought to.. Bare..

:vince:

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Leaving some relevant rules here for my own quick reference later.

PHB pg. 24 posted:

[Wood elf] Mask of the Wild:
You can attempt to hide even when you are only lightly obscured by foliage, heavy rain, falling snow, mist, and other natural phenomena. (Applicable to Quilian.)

PHB pg. 183 posted:

Vision and light:
A given area might be lightly or heavily obscured.
In a lightly obscured area, such as dim light, patchy fog, or moderate foliage, creatures have disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.
A heavily obscured area—such as darkness, opaque fog, or dense foliage—blocks vision entirely. A creature in a heavily obscured area effectively suffers from the blinded condition.

The presence or absence of light in an environment creates three categories of illumination: bright light, dim light, and darkness.
Bright light lets most creatures see normally. Even gloomy days provide bright light, as do torches, lanterns, fires, and other sources of illumination within a specific radius.
Dim light, also called shadows, creates a lightly obscured area. An area of dim light is usually a boundary between a source of bright light, such as a torch, and surrounding darkness. The soft light of twilight and dawn also counts as dim light. A particularly brilliant full moon might bathe the land in dim light.
Darkness creates a heavily obscured area. Characters face darkness outdoors at night (even most moonlit nights), within the confines of an unlit dungeon or a subterranean vault, or in an area of magical darkness.

Within a specified range, a creature with darkvision can see in darkness as if the darkness were dim light, so areas of darkness are only lightly obscured as far as that creature is concerned. However, the creature can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

PHB (various) posted:

Darkvision:
You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

PHB pg. 195 posted:

Unseen attackers:
When you attack a target that you can’t see, you have disadvantage on the attack roll. This is true whether you’re guessing the target’s location or you’re targeting a creature you can hear but not see. If the target isn’t in the location you targeted, you automatically miss, but the DM typically just says that the attack missed, not whether you guessed the target’s location correctly. When a creature can’t see you, you have advantage on attack rolls against it. If you are hidden—both unseen and unheard—when you make an attack, you give away your location when the attack hits or misses.

Waador fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 9, 2015

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

I'll do MonkE a solid and post this from IRC.

MonkE posted:

4:08 PM <MonkE> Hey just thought I'd pop in and mention the reason i havent been posting too much and wont be for the next day or two is graduation stuff sorry

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Just a heads-up, I'm gonna be working all monday evening, then tuesday morning. Then I got birfday poo poo planned with family 30th :toot: so I might not be posting much/at all until like wednesday sometime.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Well maybe you can level up in your free time?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Aight, here's what Level 3 Sereia is gonna look like; if it's alright with Ryuujin, I'll probably keep Sereia in her Studded Leather fluff-wise (for now) but mechanically, she's not using armor.

Sereia Arlingfeld [link goes to fluff]
Half-Elf Sorcerer1/Paladin2

STR 14 [13 point-buy + 1 Racial]
DEX 16 [15 point-buy + 1 Racial]
CON 14 (save prof)
INT 08
WIS 10
CHA 14 [12 point-buy + 2 Racial] (save prof)

HP: 31 (Hit Dice [6*3], CON [2*3], Feat [2*3], Draconic Resilience [1])
AC: 17 (Draconic Resilience [13], DEX [3], Fighting Style [1])

Skill Proficiencies
Class: Intimidation, Persuasion
Race: Deception, Athletics
Background: Acrobatics, Stealth

Languages
Race: Common, Elven, Dwarven
Background: Undercommon, Gnomish
Sorcerous Origin: Draconic

Equipment
Class:
(a) a martial weapon and a shield or (b) two martial weapons [taking Shortsword and Shield]
(a) five javelins or (b) any simple melee weapon [taking a Dagger]
(a) a priest's pack or (b) an explorer's pack
Chain mail and a holy symbol [trading down to Studded Leather + 30 gp, holy symbol goes onto Shield]

Background [Soldier]:
  • An insignia of rank
  • a trophy taken from a fallen enemy
  • a set of bone dice or deck of cards
  • a set of common clothes
  • belt pouch containing 10 gp
[will figure out specifics later]

Class Features
Divine Sense [1 + CHA = 3]
Lay on Hands [10]
Fighting Style [Mariner]
Divine Smite

Sorcerous Origins [Draconic Bloodline] (refluff)
- Dragon Ancestor [Blue: Lightning, prof doubled on CHA checks with dragons]
- Draconic Resilience

Spellcasting
Slots: Multi-class
[1st] 3/3

Prepared: Paladin [1 + CHA = 3]
Divine Favor
Heroism
Thunderous Smite

Known: Sorcerer [2]
Shield
Witch Bolt

Cantrips: Sorcerer [4]
Chill Touch
Shocking Grasp

Race Features
Fey Ancestry: Advantage on saves vs. Charm, magic can't put you to sleep
Darkvision: dim light = bright light up to 60ft, darkness = dim light
Speed: 30

Bonus Feat
Tough: 2 HP per level
Healer

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 10, 2015

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

You should have 3 slots for first level spells, you take half your paladin/ranger levels(rounded down for the odds) and add them to your full caster levels and compare them to a chart, so you're a second level caster and have 3 first level slots.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Unfortunately with my schedule tightening up, and my own game to run, I will need to bow out. :( It's been fun but I don't have the time to really 'dive into' the game like I wanted since the job change.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

Unfortunately with my schedule tightening up, and my own game to run, I will need to bow out. :( It's been fun but I don't have the time to really 'dive into' the game like I wanted since the job change.

Sorry to see you go!
...any chance we can get an epic heart attack scene out of you to give you a proper farewell?
Perhaps Khidash is deathly allergic to bees.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

Boooo! I was enjoying Khidash. But you have to pay the bills.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

It was fun while it lasted, good luck with the new job!

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
So did the captain's chest actually contain the books we were looking for? Four said it did, but Ryuu didn't seem to mention it in a post. Was this explained in IRC?

Also, the map with the alleged water cult logo...?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yes and yes. Should have been in an actual post.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Ah, I only read the italic part. Derp. ctrl+F "books" didn't find "tomes" obviously :downs:

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Having a busy week probably wont be able to post till the weekend sorry.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
I am not really sure how to read the underwater combat rules. The direct quote is:

PHB Pg. 198 posted:

When adventurers pursue sahuagin back to their undersea homes, fight off sharks in an ancient shipwreck, or find themselves in a flooded dungeon room, they must fight in a challenging environment. Underwater the following rules apply.

When making a melee weapon attack, a creature that doesn’t have a swimming speed (either natural or granted by magic) has disadvantage on the attack roll unless the weapon is a dagger, javelin, shortsword, spear, or trident.

A ranged weapon attack automatically misses a target beyond the weapon’s normal range. Even against a target within normal range, the attack roll has disadvantage unless the weapon is a crossbow, a net, or a weapon that is thrown like a javelin (including a spear, trident, or dart).

Creatures and objects that are fully immersed in water have resistance to fire damage.
This seems to suggest the following:
- There is a penalty to attacking a creature fully submerged in water with fire damage, being that they have resistance to fire damage.
- If the attacker is submerged in water, and attacks with a melee weapon that is not a dagger, javelin, shortsword, spear, or trident, that attack roll has disadvantage.
- That penalty to melee attacks is negated if the player (or enemy) has a swimming speed from any source.

The part that is unclear to me is how ranged attacks function. Specifically, the caveat for a swim speed only applies to melee attacks, so I don't believe having a swim speed gets you off the hook for making ranged attacks underwater. In which case, if you make a ranged attack with anything other than a crossbow, net, or a weapon that is thrown 'like a javelin' (which seems to be a fairly wide array of things), that attack roll has disadvantage. As well, that attack would automatically miss beyond the weapon's normal range.

The other part that isn't clear to me is whether the penalties to ranged attacks apply when firing into the water from out of it. It doesn't seem like it does, as it seems to speak only to people making attacks while submerged, so I think we're okay to make ranged attacks from the deck of the boat into the water without having disadvantage or other penalties, but it really isn't explicit.

Thoughts on how this will work in play?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Waador posted:

The part that is unclear to me is how ranged attacks function. Specifically, the caveat for a swim speed only applies to melee attacks, so I don't believe having a swim speed gets you off the hook for making ranged attacks underwater. In which case, if you make a ranged attack with anything other than a crossbow, net, or a weapon that is thrown 'like a javelin' (which seems to be a fairly wide array of things), that attack roll has disadvantage. As well, that attack would automatically miss beyond the weapon's normal range.
Yeah I think you've got it: it's disadvantage within normal range, except with the specified weapons; long range auto-misses regardless of anything.

As for this:

Waador posted:

The other part that isn't clear to me is whether the penalties to ranged attacks apply when firing into the water from out of it.

If the rules don't expressly cover it, It's Up To The DM™

edit: There might be rules for this in the DMG, for all I know.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
So while we're waiting to overcome this rut, I just wanted to ask if the players (or anyone else reading the game thread) are enjoying themselves so far. And specifically, is my writing any good and/or does my character make any sense? :v:

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

P.d0t posted:

So while we're waiting to overcome this rut, I just wanted to ask if the players (or anyone else reading the game thread) are enjoying themselves so far. And specifically, is my writing any good and/or does my character make any sense? :v:

I just saw this post now, so a month delayed but still heartfelt in response. Michael Jackson continues to have a good time, and I think Sereia has made sense so far. She needs a hug to stop being so emo, though.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Since we're almost to the point of levelling, I was debating re-speccing Sereia again.
Mostly because a) we need some dedicated healing, and; b) :lol: melee

Like, I'm probably not going to get much use out of sorcery point+smite fuckery™ in this partycampaign(?), so I might as well do something else.

ideas:
    1) Favored Soul4: Stick with the Sorcerer part of the character, get the weapon and armor profs for paladin flavour, take Life domain for Cure Wounds so there's at least some magical healing in the party; extra attack at 6th
    2) Bard1/Sorcerer3: Gets access to Healing Word, plus Bardic Inspiration ain't bad; get to keep Draconic Sorcerer (mostly for flavour, but AC is alright too)
    3) Valor Bard4: Healing Word, armor and weapon profs, extra attack at 6th; Bardic Inspiration, Song of Rest, and Expertise are just gravy. Not really sure it fits the character, though
    4) Cleric4: Flatout rebuild from the ground-up, get Healing Word. Either Life :effort: or maybe War for archer fuckery? (haven't put much thought into this one)

Suggestions?

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
The archer cleric that Trast has been playing in #stolen honestly looks like it is reasonably fun. With the right feats you can probably get away with exclusively using your magic for healing and rituals while blasting arrows at fools. There's probably a lot to be gained going half-elf cleric 4, and taking either healer or sharpshooter as a feat, depending on how you want to focus it. As for cleric domain I don't think life is that great. Go knowledge, or light, or even nature, they're all much more interesting. War is okay I guess, not really my thing but I can see it being fun in some ways.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
alright, so looking at Tempest Cleric4, how's this sound for spell selection?

Cantrips
Guidance
Mending
Sacred Flame
Thaumaturgy

Level 1
Bane
Bless
Sanctuary
Healing Word
Shield of Faith
Guiding Bolt

Level 2
Spiritual Weapon
Lesser Restoration

Domain
Thunderwave
Fog Cloud
Gust of Wind
Shatter

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
In terms of cantrips, guidance and mending are definitely solid picks. The rest seems fine, having a flavorful cantrip like thaumaturgy and an attack cantrip like sacred flame can't really do you wrong. One thing probably worth considering, depending on your feats, is whether it is worth having an attack cantrip at all. Sharpshooting will always have longer range and do better damage, if you are going that route. At which point you could swap sacred flame for something else.

In terms of level 1 spells, I think the tiers are basically:
Amazing > Guiding Bolt / Healing Word
Occasionally useful > Inflict Wounds / Cure Wounds / Detect Magic / Detect Poison and Disease / Protection from Evil and Good / Bless
Garbage > Command / Create or Destroy Water / Detect Evil and Good / Purify Food and Drink / Sanctuary / Shield of Faith / Bane

The same for level 2 spells would be along the lines of:
Amazing > Silence
Occasionally useful > Enhance Ability / Gentle Repose / Hold Person / Locate Object / Spiritual Weapon / Warding Bond / Lesser Restoration
Garbage > Blindness/Deafness / Calm Emotions / Continual Flame / Find Traps / Prayer of Healing / Protection from Poison / Zone of Truth / Aid / Augury

Practically speaking, in terms of prepared spells, you won't have a huge amount of slots. Four from cleric levels, and three from wisdom bonus, for seven total before domain spells. It really depends on the kind of character you want to play though. I think the first step is to figure out how you're behaving in combat: if that's attacking with a bow, you can dedicate your spell slots to healing word, and fill out the remainder with rituals and situational spells. If you're attacking with cantrips or spells, the spell selection would need to look rather different. Approaching it from the assumption that you're attacking with a bow, with or without the sharpshot feat, I would suggest something along the lines of:
Cantrips: Guidance / Mending / whatever else
Cleric slot #1: Healing Word [1]
Cleric slot #2: Silence [2]
Cleric slot #3: Warding Bond [2]
Cleric slot #4: Enhance Ability [2]
Wisdom slot #1: Locate Object [2]
Wisdom slot #2: Gentle Repose [2-R]
Wisdom slot #3: Detect Magic [1-R]
Domain: Fog Cloud / Thunderwave / Gust of Wind / Shatter

That spread lets you participate in all areas of the game with reasonable competence, if not always as the main driver of the story. The cross-section is more or less:
Combat pillar: Attacking with a bow, for significant damage if sharpshot is part of the build. Several good crowd control and battlefield control spells for difficult fights between silence, thunderwave, fog cloud, gust of wind and shatter. I would rather expect that 90% of your spell slots are for healing word in-combat, with one or two level 2+ spell slots in reserve for real spells when the situation demands it. Most of your actions end up being arrow-related.

Interaction pillar: Silence is also a ritual, and can be applied in a number of creative and effective ways if used as such. Guidance lets you contribute directly and meaningfully to all skill challenges encountered, whether you resolve them yourself or otherwise. Mending lets you solve problems that might come up (such as damaged boats, wagons, or other transportation) and also keeps the party properly stocked in arrows and their gear maintained, which is more of a roleplay value than anything else, but is worth having. Locate object is worth having in reserve for roleplay and time-sensitive "I know where I'm going" issues. You need to plan to use it well but it's highly effective when it works.

Exploration pillar: Warding bond is not a terrible spell to cast when someone like Quilian wanders off to scout. It helps to ensure he comes back alive, and is also a very immediate "something just went wrong" feedback relay. Enhance ability, similarly, helps to ensure that people succeed at their chosen roles. That spell doesn't really come into its own until you get level 3 spell slots, when one casting can affect two people: at which point, an hour of advantage to dexterity (i.e. stealth) checks ensures that Lothire and I can successfully infiltrate and map an area safely.

Having half your spells as rituals makes a lot of sense to me when your primary spell plan is healing word. Gentle repose helps to mitigate raise dead concerns, as well as concerns of things rising as undead. Detect magic is always useful, particularly for spotting magical traps or buffed enemies. There's a hundred uses for silence as a ritual and most of them are fun.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Spells hm? Your cantrips are pretty much the best choices since you've got jackshit to choose from :v:. I assume you're probably not going to drop the healer feat so wahey here goes.

1st level spells
  • Bless(C): With Lars and Darys in the party this opens up a shitload of damage.
  • Command: Pretty open ended turn denial with a wis save, you can't cause the target to directly hurt themselves but nothing stops you from sending them running away at full speed while they're standing next to every fighter in the party wasting their turn with a disengage+move or with a deception check or before casting the spell you tell them they'll be left alone if they leave and then hit them with the command to flee, they fail their insight check? Cue 3 OAs.
  • Healing word: Duh.
  • Guiding bolt/inflict wounds: Depending on whether you're gonna stick to ranged or go heavy armor and front line fight. The advantage from guiding bolt is nice in the early game but once people start multiattacking and have a good to hit bonus it loses the impact you should expect from a spell slot being expended.

2nd level spells
  • Hold Person(C): Meet Sereia and her party, watch Sereia cast hold person, see Sereia's party crit! Crit party crit!
  • Spiritual Weapon: Actually use your bonus action for stuff when you don't need healing word out.
  • Lesser Restoration: Always nice to get rid of bad poo poo that can happen to us in combat and out.

Then your domain stuff obviously and things that have benefits at different times.

Things to swap in and out as needed
  • Continual Flame(2nd level 50gp per cast): Once you get level 3 slots one or two casts of this and we never have to worry about magical darkness again and can drop the spell forever.
  • Detect Magic(1st level R): Unlikely to actually be of use on the road but if we're a day away from our location swapping it in could be of great use if lets say we went into a cave with a bunch of corpses laying around and were able to detect the dead people were infused with necromancy :v:.
  • Enhance ability(2nd level C): Another situational thing that will only likely be needed in towns/dungeons. The bits between locations are generally already covered by Lars and Quilian's ranger advantage.
  • Gentle Repose(2nd level R): you have 9 days of a person being dead before you actually need to cast this so you can swap it out for a long rest once at some point along the road, no point in having it readied all the time really.
  • Shield of Faith(1st level C) Certainly helpful if we're sending someone out ahead to scout or trying to get the enemy to focus on one person.*
  • Silence(2nd level C R): You've stated in irc you're against being the silence all the time caster but if we're coming up on bullshit casters like the necromancer it's worth having :science:.
  • Prayer of healing(2nd level): It's okay and would certainly help with situations like what we're currently experience but it's kinda eh long term.
  • Protection from evil and good(1st level C): Being a game about the elemental evil I'm sure we're going to run into some elemental enemies sometime and they're effected by this.
  • Warding bond(2nd level 100gp one time startup cost): Kind of a situational spell but combined with other spells it's pretty good.*
  • Zone of Truth(2nd level): Situational in the extreme but Four could probably make good use of it with how many people he loves to thoroughly question.

*Combine these two for fun and profit +3 ac on someone, +1 to saving throws, and resistance to all damage(In the form of you essentially taking half of what they would have taken).

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 13, 2015

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

A Darker Porpoise posted:

I assume you're probably not going to drop the healer feat so wahey here goes.
Sorry, to be clear what I mean is he's going to be level 4 and it sounds like he is going straight cleric, which means he'll have an additional feat to add into the mix. I definitely agree that retaining healer as your bonus feat at level 1 makes sense, but for the level 4 slot, given a> how terrible cleric cantrip damage is, and b> how pdot doesn't actually enjoy selecting and casting spells in combat because of the 'I use magic to solve the problem' issue, a combat-oriented feat for that slot lets him actually participate in fighting.

I think the combination of sharpshooter+bless on Sereia, Lars and Ursa to enable them to contribute to the safety of the back lines is a good life choice. Obviously that can't be 600' away if Sereia is going to use healing word to keep people up, but 60' away and around a corner or behind an obstacle for a reasonable amount of cover (or inside an illusion) is perfectly viable.

Waador fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 12, 2015

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Ah fair enough.

I'll be respeccing a bit as follows once we get a long rest to level up.

A post was here it's gone now

Gonna rebuild from the ground up with the same goal in mind there are weird things on my sheet that are holdovers from when I thought I'd be in melee some of the time.

Level 1 base: Ability scores shifted to fix the issue where I figured I'd actually be in melee from time to time. Swapped sleight of hand to insight.
Changed disguise kit from the urchin background to Cooking utensils and thieve's tools to playing cards.
Lucky becomes Crossbow expert. (Be happy Ryuu :v:)

Ability Scores: 15 15 14 10 8 8 array
STR: 8(-1)
DEX: 16 (+3)
CON: 14 (+2)
INT: 8 (-1)
WIS: 16 (+3)
CHA: 10 (-1)

Used human(variant) to add a point to dex and a point to wis.

HP: Goes up by 1 with the altered con starting at 12
Skill Proficiencies: Acrobatics(H), Animal Handling(R), Perception(R), Intimidate(Background), Stealth(Background), and Survival(R)

Tool Proficiencies: Cooks Utensils(Background), Playing Card Set(Background)

Feats: Sharpshooter(Free level 1 feat)- No disadvantage on long range attacks. Ranged attacks ignore half cover and three-quarters cover. Before making an attack I can take -5 to hit, on a hit the attack deals +10 damage.

Crossbow Expert: Removes the loading tag from crossbows, removes disadvantage when firing ranged weapons from within 5', allows a bonus action attack with a hand crossbow when attacking with a one handed weapon.

Background: Gangmember (Custom off of Urchin)

Level 2: Didn't change much just my superiority maneuver.

Taking the average hp 6+2 (New total is 20)
Archery style(+2 to ranged weapon attack rolls.)
4 d8 superiority dice with 2 maneuvers
Precision shot- Before or after an attack roll a d8 and add the result to the attack roll.
Maneuvering attack- On a hit spend a superiority die add the result to damage, one ally in visual or audio range can spend their reaction to move half their speed without provoking attacks of opportunity from the target of the attack.

Level 3 Nothing changed but the number of poultices I can make via stat shuffling.

HD rolled is 4+2 so 26 hp
Ranger Variant grants me poultice making, I can spend an hour making 3(wis mod) poultices that heal 1d6 per 2 ranger levels I have(rounded up) so I have 3 doses of 2d6 healing I can slap out from time to time. The medicine can only be applied by me.
Taking the hunter archetype and picking up horde breaker which once on each of my turns lets me make an extra attack for free against a target adjacent to one I've attacked.

Level 4
Rolled a 2+2 so hp is now 30
Taking +2 to dex for my ASI.

New stat block: The link in the name is to an updated sheet with all the edits.

Name: Lars "Longshanks" Borikfikod Trenchglazed
Race: Human (Variant)
Class: Ranger (Spelless variant) Level 4
Faction: Emerald Enclave
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 230lb
Alignment: Sociopath
Ability Scores:
STR: 8(-1)
DEX: 18 (+4)
CON: 14 (+2)
INT: 8 (-1)
WIS: 16 (+3)
CHA: 10 (0)

Used human(variant) to add a point to dex and a point to wis.

HP: 30
AC: 16(18 with shield)
Initiative: +4
Saving throw proficiencies: Strength, Dexterity,
Skill Proficiencies: Acrobatics(H), Animal Handling(R), Perception(R), Intimidate(Background), Stealth(Background), and Survival(R)

Tool Proficiencies: Cooks Utensils(Background), Playing Card Set(Background)

Feats: Sharpshooter(Free level 1 feat)- No disadvantage on long range attacks. Ranged attacks ignore half cover and three-quarters cover. Before making an attack I can take -5 to hit, on a hit the attack deals +10 damage.
Crossbow Expert: Removes the loading tag from crossbows, removes disadvantage when firing ranged weapons from within 5', allows a bonus action attack with a hand crossbow when attacking with a one handed weapon.

Languages: Common, Dwarven, Halfling.
Background: Gangmember (Custom Variant off of Urchin)
Personality Traits: I hide scraps of food and trinkets away in my pockets.
Ideal: People. I help the people who help me— that’s what keeps us alive.
Bond: I owe my survival to another urchin who taught me to live on the streets.
Flaw: I'd rather kill someone in their sleep then fight fair.
Favored Enemy: Human- As a gang member in the big city Lars has studied his own kind intensely and gotten good at tracking them down and casing a mark.
Dwarves- The Borikfikod were always at odds with some gang or another and Lars has taken the lessons of gang warfare to heart.
Favored Terrain: Grasslands

Money: 164.64 gp
Armor: Studded leather 13lbs
Shield+Pot 10lbs
Traveler's clothing 4lb
Weapons: Sharktooth longsword(Double weapon dice on unarmored targets) 3lbs
Longbow 2lbs
Quiver 1lb
102 arrows 5lbs
Daggers x3 3lbs
Tools: Cook's utensils 8lbs
Gear: Backpack 5lbs
Map of Athkatla
A glass orb filled with moving smoke
A small knife 1lb
Hammer 3lb
Crowbar 5lb
Piton .25lb
Mess kit 1lb
Tinderbox 1lb
2 torches 2lb
Water skin 5lb
The spice pouch equivalent of a component pouch 2lb

Magic Items: Driftglobe- Glows as the light spell and follows within 60', can cast the daylight spell once per long rest.
Wing Suit 3 charges- Bonus action to activate and gain a 30' fly speed, altitude drops by 5 every turn and must move 30' horizontally to stay afloat. Can be recharged at an air elemental hotspot thing.
Weight:74.25/120

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 14, 2015

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

P.d0t posted:

ideas:
    1) Favored Soul4
    2) Bard1/Sorcerer3
    3) Valor Bard4
    4) Cleric4

Today I am leaning towards.. :rolldice: Bard2/Sorcerer2.

so far in 5e, I've played a Rogue (archer), a Cleric (healer), and a Bard (healer)
I've kinda got no use for Paladin anymore in this game, but I'm liking Sorcerer and want to stick with it; this seems like the best way to get Healing Word for baseline healer-competence, and Song of Rest is a good support-y thing to have (otherwise Bard1 would be adequate, IMHO)

Favoured Soul would be alright for the Domains, i.e. more spell selection, and Medium Armor means 14 DEX and then pump CHA forever if I wanna be a fulltime caster.
Draconic Sorcerer would mean 13 CHA for MC, then pump DEX for AC and weapon-usage, thus meaning my spell selection would be geared more narrowly towards support stuff/anything that doesn't rely on spellcasting mod. Which will probably help me a lot; I'm an in-the-box thinker, so the fewer valid options I have, the better :v:

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Hey everyone sorry for the delay in updating for the new level I had a particularly long ride home from meeting family yesterday anyway heres my 4th level character sheet.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Did everyone level while I was on vacation? I thought you at least needed a short rest to trigger that when experience is reached.

I'll work on a fourth level sheet for Darys tonight.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
You need a long rest to actually level.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

I haven't actually applied my level up to Lars in the thread, I just did the work ahead of time. Except for a few small choices I have to consider along the way I can basically slap down a sheet for Lars level 1-20 in a few minutes :v:.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 13, 2015

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Double post but whatever! Waador was interested in seeing how the spread of damage was back and forth through the game so I'm indulging these whims.
:black101:The damage tally! :black101:

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

A Darker Porpoise posted:

Double post but whatever! Waador was interested in seeing how the spread of damage was back and forth through the game so I'm indulging these whims.
:black101:The damage tally! :black101:
How interesting, the damage dealt / damage received ratios are:
- Four: 91 to 1
- Lars: 10 to 1
- Darys: 7 to 1
- Quilian: 6 to 1
- Sereia: 6 to 1

I might go through this and compile a slightly more detailed listing of damage dealt and received by damage type. Will probably truncate it down to encounter rather than round-by-round though. Will have to think about how to format it.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
DM Question:

Magic Initiate feat says "choose one 1st-level spell from that same list. You learn that spell and can cast it at its lowest level. Once you cast it, you must finish a long rest before you can cast it again."
Would that mean you can only ever cast it 1/day? Or if you have slots, you could use those to cast additional uses of it? The word "learn" implies that you always have the spell prepared/it's treated as a "known" spell for you.

That might make life easier if I just say "I wanna be [Class]4 but also have Healing Word," which is mechanically kind of checking all the boxes I want.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I think the wording is that you only ever get 1 use of it, but I am not entirely sure. But I will let you use your spellslots to cast it, at least for now and with Healing Word. I reserve the right to change it later though if I feel it is broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Yeah, I think it doesn't specify slot usage because... well, anyone could take this feat, including classes with no slot progression. Although on the other hand, Martial Adept has the "if you already have Superiority Dice you get one more"-clause, so who really knows the intent? not Mearls

• Locked thread