Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
As expected. Episode 3 was much better than the first two. By the end it's basically a Haruhi episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Haruhi's appearance was actually what finally got me to drop this boring show, I'd forgotten how abrasive and annoying her personality was.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

This thread reminded me how awesome it was when that "live" scene came out of nowhere in the original series https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kA4tGu60mo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CuLT posted:

This thread reminded me how awesome it was when that "live" scene came out of nowhere in the original series https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kA4tGu60mo

A classic moment

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Dehry posted:

As expected. Episode 3 was much better than the first two. By the end it's basically a Haruhi episode.

Sakurazuka posted:

Haruhi's appearance was actually what finally got me to drop this boring show, I'd forgotten how abrasive and annoying her personality was.

I watched Haruhi for everyone who was not Haruhi.

I'm gonna laugh though if this is actually season 3 of Haruhi and they were trolling everyone though, much better joke than the endless 8.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

CrazySalamander posted:

I'm gonna laugh though if this is actually season 3 of Haruhi and they were trolling everyone though, much better joke than the endless 8.

At the rate they're burning through the manga, they'll be at Volume 6 (the current volume when announced) at episode 12/16. Volume 8 just came out so it would be interesting to see if they actually go that far.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Sakurazuka posted:

CrazySalamander posted:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Welp, sorry mirror universe Nagato, you're going to be sidelined even in your own dang show.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Agronox posted:

Welp, sorry mirror universe Nagato, you're going to be sidelined even in your own dang show.

Good

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk

Agronox posted:

literally The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan. Meta humour as gently caress

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Agronox posted:

ScottyWired posted:

literally The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan. Meta humour as gently caress

CrazySalamander posted:

Given ScottyWired's post I'm starting to seriously think this.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Was this a Nozaki-kun refrence, or just a thing they do in anime now?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Those pictures don't even have the same expression though.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Was this a Naruto refrence, or just a thing they do in anime now?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Smh. They're both referencing Dragonball separately.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
When I saw the scene that was the first thing I thought of. Both of them just drawn menacing and laughing.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I have not read the manga but I expected Haruhi to not appear as much in this as she is. I don't see how a character as overbearing as hers can work in something that doesn't revolve around her.

If it's supposed to be a romance I can't see how Haruhi isn't just the bull in the china shop.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Dehry posted:

Was this a Nozaki-kun refrence, or just a thing they do in anime now?

It's a thing they do in anime for at least over a decade.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I typically try to watch at least one episode of new shows each season, unless I know before hand that the show will be poo poo. For example, Highschool DxD, no. I watched about 1 minute of Show By Rock, skipping ahead to see that it was, in fact, as awful as expected.

With that said, I watched the first episode of this anime without even knowing anything about Yuki Nagato or Haruhi Suzumiya.

And I was a bit baffled. I then found the full length 2+hour English Dub (on YouTube) of the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya and the pointer to the "John Smith" scene. I watched that which made me want to see what happened after the scene, and I did.

Now, I think I have the basics, and this show is somewhat interesting, except I can't help but wonder if it would be better or worse with less Haruhi. I guess she is the reason interesting things happen, and the sappy love-struck Yuki isn't all that interesting. Ryouko Asakura is by far the most interesting character though.

This is the story of what would've happened if Kyon had chosen the blue pill instead of the red pill, or vice versa (I can never remember which pill did which), in the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. I'm not clear on if this Kyon is aware of the fact that he's in an alternate timeline?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dan7el posted:

This is the story of what would've happened if Kyon had chosen the blue pill instead of the red pill, or vice versa (I can never remember which pill did which), in the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. I'm not clear on if this Kyon is aware of the fact that he's in an alternate timeline?

I think having to deal with Haruhi in a daily basis while also having to keep her wild, reality-destroying bullshit impulses into check qualifies as Red Pill (face the harsh truths of reality, prove your worth, blah blah blah) while here Kyon is just chilling, reading some books and having a grand-old boring time, which basically qualifies as the Blue Pill (ignorance is bliss and all 'dat poo poo).

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Dan7el posted:

I typically try to watch at least one episode of new shows each season, unless I know before hand that the show will be poo poo. For example, Highschool DxD, no. I watched about 1 minute of Show By Rock, skipping ahead to see that it was, in fact, as awful as expected.

With that said, I watched the first episode of this anime without even knowing anything about Yuki Nagato or Haruhi Suzumiya.

And I was a bit baffled. I then found the full length 2+hour English Dub (on YouTube) of the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya and the pointer to the "John Smith" scene. I watched that which made me want to see what happened after the scene, and I did.

Now, I think I have the basics, and this show is somewhat interesting, except I can't help but wonder if it would be better or worse with less Haruhi. I guess she is the reason interesting things happen, and the sappy love-struck Yuki isn't all that interesting. Ryouko Asakura is by far the most interesting character though.

jesus christ man, watch haruhi!

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dan7el posted:

Kyon doesn't know he's in an alternate timeline. This is supposed to be a take on what the Disappearance universe would be like if he were changed too. He meets Yuki earlier on in the timeline than the movie and in a different context, thus they're able to communicate better. The past is also rewritten to remove John Smith and any other time travel anomolies. Those results should appear next episode in a flashback. From here on out though, there's a mix of the group doing things they did in the main anime series(since most events never happened now) with a Kyon/Yuki relationship twist.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dan7el posted:

Just watch Haruhi, what the heck

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Davincie posted:

jesus christ man, watch haruhi!

Thank you

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Watch Haruhi-chan, it has more to do with this show.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Dan7el posted:

It's probably best not to think too much about this.

There's the "normal" world of Melancholy;
There's the "alternate" world in Disappearance where Kyon is aware of Melancholy and chooses whether or not to press that Enter key; and
There's this Yuki-chan world where it's basically the Disappearance world but no one seems to have any memory of Melancholy.

At least, that's what it seems like from the shows. I have no idea what happened in the books. Maybe the show will explain things better as it goes on, but for now it seems like you just have to roll with it.

I agree with you that Asakura has a lot of potential... I wonder if she's still as knife-happy as she is in Melancholy or Disappearance? I mean, if you thought Tsuraya was protective of Mikuru, well... Haruhi better watch out if she ever brings out a cart for Yuki.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan: Haruhi Season 3- It's best not to think too much about it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So is this actually supposed to be Season 3 of Haruhi?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
That's my crazy theory- it's probably wrong but you have to admit it would be a hilarious troll if it were right.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

They are hinting at it, with characters doing the whole "wait, this feels like dejavu" thing, but it could go either way.

The best would be justification for the character redesigns because they have to switch to the old designs later this season.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Apparently they're faithfully adapting the manga, which just sorta keeps going like this indefinitely, so I doubt there are any twists.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Dan7el posted:

Arrgh noooo you're doing it backwards you're killing me.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Clarste posted:

Apparently they're faithfully adapting the manga, which just sorta keeps going like this indefinitely, so I doubt there are any twists.

Volume 7/8 has some pretty big advancement in the relationship department. They do acknowlege the passage of time though. They're having another christmas party and there's lots of "It's been a year now" comments made. It may actually end by 2018.

Saoritficis
Apr 23, 2008
So wait, I'm confused: Is Asakura an alien who ends up trying to kill Kyon in this version as well?

Not actually sure if I should spoiler that or not, prolly not, but I am gonna go the safe route I guess.

Saoritficis fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 20, 2015

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Saoritficis posted:

So wait, I'm confused: Is Asakura an alien who ends up trying to kill Kyon in this version as well?

Not actually sure if I should spoil that or not, prolly not, but I am gonna go the safe route I guess.

No, everyone is a "normal" human in this series

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Raxivace posted:

So is this actually supposed to be Season 3 of Haruhi?

No, it's a thing written by the guy who did the Haruhi-chan shorts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Just a heads up before this one airs: the episode is Valentines Day so don't expect much. Next week is back to BIzzaro Haruhi.

• Locked thread