Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

are you serious ughhh

The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan (長門有希ちゃんの消失 Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu) is a new anime series based off a manga spin-off based off the light novel that everyone knows about due to the 0% chance that someone actually wants to watch this without having seen or read any of the Haruhi series. As such, Haruhi is back Haruhi is back Haruhi is back Haruhi is back Haruhi is back Haruhi is back Haruhi is back Haruhi is back Haruhi is back Haruhi is back but not really.

You already know all this:

Yuki Nagato

quiet girl beep boop

Kyon

facepalm why do i look so stupid now

Ryouko Asakura

everyone's favorite crazyeyes mcstabby :ese:

Mikuru Asahina

did they introduce me again with a boobs joke yup sure did

Tsuruya

yes i'm self-aware that i am the best chance of saving this show

Other Characters:
:effort: eh, just imagine the other characters that you already know but drawn worse and/or with more sideburns.

Where to watch: streaming at Funimation, starting 3 days ago.

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Reserved for goofyfaces.jpgs

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Tip: just close your eyes or look at another part of the screen when Kyon is talking. I got through the episode without completely hating the new model by doing this.

Or just don't watch at all :v:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

a kitten posted:

(does anyone happen to have those saved?)

the rest:

bonus:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Agronox posted:

Hey, while I'm here, why did this show's reputation decline so much?

Any other questions?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

I don't really get the Haruhi continuity. If I watched the first season, half of Haruhi-chan, and nothing else, would I understand this?

Unless you're able to extract everything out of Yuki's personality from episode 14, probably no.

Watch the Disappearance movie, it's good and is the minimal pre-req to this show.

Also alcohol and/or a taste for silly romcoms.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

The next episode of this show has aired. A new character has been introduced.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Haruhi's appearance was actually what finally got me to drop this boring show, I'd forgotten how abrasive and annoying her personality was.

CrazySalamander posted:

I watched Haruhi for everyone who was not Haruhi.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

They are hinting at it, with characters doing the whole "wait, this feels like dejavu" thing, but it could go either way.

The best would be justification for the character redesigns because they have to switch to the old designs later this season.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Haruhi and Ryouko hanging out and conversing is an unexpected and welcome bonus beyond this show's low expectations.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Nagato, after reading this thread

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Good Listener posted:

I am not caught up on the newest ep yet due to me and my friends' anime watch Thursday nights but Yuki is kind of a weird show. I think she is definitely cute and all but that doofy nerd Yuki is not very good at starring in a series of her own. Or maybe it just seems weird still to have a Haruhi series without the supernatural bits present. Like I don't hate the show but when it's sandwiched in the same block as Shirobako and Sound Euphonium, it really gets lost in the shuffle.

I'm hoping something will help it find its traction to make me give it a little more credit haha.

The supernatural bits are indirectly present, via the occasional "flashback memories" to events in the original series timeline.

Taken at face value this series is an incredibly boring and unimaginative romcom. It assumes you read between the lines to enjoy, i.e. everything you do see is happening because of the things you don't see. Or some people just enjoy eyeroll inducing hijinks.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Yea I can never hate Endless eight because I was one of the first if not the first person on this forum to unironically guess that the adaptation would not end in 3 episodes, the rest is schadenfreude history.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I thought it would have been better if they kept up the slow thematic decent into madness, but it looks like the episodes were instead independently directed and smashed together.

If I were to re-watch it, I'd go 1, 3, 5, 6, 2, 4, 7, 8. (or just cut 3, 5, and 6, maybe 7 I forgot).

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

(11): The audio in this episode was intriguing, notably the use of that muffled voice and the background music.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

You may think I'm making fun of Anime Quality, but this is an accurate depiction of how people look after they wake up

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

The acoustic version of the ED was nice :unsmith:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Does that after-credits sequence make the entire season worth it? It's debatable.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

HiipFire posted:

the ova was kinda cool i liked it

It was a fitting extra end to the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Is it any better/different from the show's ending, in vague terms?

Hint 1:
It is different yet the same but also not better.

Hint 2:
It's the show's post-credits sequence taken to it's logical conclusion.

Answer:
It's a remake of Endless Eight's 8th episode.

fake edit: "It is different yet the same but also not better" wow I should have just made this the thread title lol

• Locked thread