Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
So where is the smart money on annoying playoff posters this year? My first thought was Cavs fans, but we're not far removed from the last Cavs contending team so I feel like it won't be the same thing.

I feel like I haven't seen many bad GSW fans. And I don't think there are enough people who care about the Hawks. Will the Clippers last long enough to get some bad Clipper's posters in here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Oh, bad Bulls fans will be around for sure, but this year I think ever the most delusional has been beaten down by now.

Anti-Lebron is a good call though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

wtf?

quote:

A suspect in the stabbings was arrested, according to the Daily News. There's no word yet on whether Antic and Sefolosha remain in custody. The report cited anonymous sources who said the Hawks refused to move when cops were attempting to set up a crime scene. The Post reported that Sefolosha was charged with obstruction, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct and that Antic was charged with obstruction, disorderly conduct and menacing.

Pero Antic charged with menacing

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I've had to chase servers this year more than last with ballstreams. If Leaguepass gives more options at a lower cost it might be more interesting.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

pylb posted:

Here are the police details:

Pero Antic

Thabo Sefolosha

And here's a quote from Jared Zwerling

This whole thing is so bizarre. Will Thabo and Pero get suspensions over this? I doubt it affects Atlanta but it might a weir distraction. I know I cannot wait to hear announcers give us their opinions 50,000 times about it. Tell me, white man in your 60s, about how you should handle yourself in a club or where you should spend your time.

PantsFreeZone posted:

The threads will definitely be better this year because I'm not going to make any joke insult posts at Declan and get wrongfully banned for the entire Finals.

I'm going to be the biggest GSW bandwagoneer since Drake.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Niwrad posted:

Cavs clinch 2 seed. Bulls should be better considering the talent they have on that roster.

Niwrad posted:

Do you honestly think this team, even at 100% like they were tonight, has a chance to make a deep run in the playoffs? They won't even win 50 games in this garbage conference.

Wait, which is it?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

PantsFreeZone posted:

You are my favorite type of Bulls/Chicago sports fan. And that should tell you something.

Wow, no need to get nasty.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Bulls fans should stop being so obsessed with "if/when we get fully healthy" cuz that'll never happen for you or anyone, ding dongs

No, but when you see stats like "Starters are 15-4" I think its ok to say "This season has been a disappointment but injuries had a lot to do with that" Noah's injury has been the most impactful by far, and is also the most worrisome since he is really important to the team.

Illinois Smith posted:

sorry, I meant quote them because I don't have archives

quote:

As if I care whether or not anyone here thinks I'm a "lovely poster" -- you dipshits matter nothing to me IRL. I'm a respected teacher and community philanthropist IRL. What the gently caress do I care about a bunch of basement dwelling faggots on the internet?

:lol:
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

That's really all you need.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 9, 2015

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'm pretty confident Harden will be a HoF player too.

Belome posted:

I hate watching free throws but it isn't like Harden has taken a historic amount of them. Is it just because he's a guard?

He's a guard, he creates a lot of that contact himself rather than a big guy who is getting hacked. It's also different when its, like, MJ or Durant or LBJ who get fouled a lot because defenders just cannot handle them, so I think that's why its so notable.

I dunno, its mostly just complaining about a guy because thats what people do who watch basketball.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

roundmidnight posted:

I hope the next thing to go is the shot fake -> jump forward into a defender -> get the call thing.

If you have the defender coming forward (or jumping out of his space) then this is fine. It gets dumb when a shooter just leaps into a defender standing there and gets the call, but that's more a ref thing than a rule thing.

I do think in general a "it is not a defensive foul if the offense player initiates contact" rule would probably fix the aesthetics problem. Bringing this back to Harden, he creates contact in a minority of fouls that get called his way.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

alansmithee posted:

The thing about Harden that gets me (and probably other people) is that he seems to go out of his way to draw fouls. Like, it's not he's driving to score and gets hit, he's driving to get a foul. Like I could almost imagine him giving up a clear lane to run into someone and get a foul call instead.

Which kinda sucks because he's a really good player. He'll do amazing things a lot of times, but it's just drowned out by all the endless freethrows.

Those free throws help him win games. I mean, blame the rules but the players are doing what they can to score points efficiently, and free throws are a really good way of doing that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rick posted:

I was getting worried when it looked like the refs were willing to send Xavier Henry to the line all the time too but it looks like his career is over before he can lead in the next wave of Hardenesque players.

Wasn't that just his injury though? He was really athletic and defenders couldn't do much to stop him other than get physical. Then he started getting hurt and now he's a pumpkin.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

No one has a cell video of this?

Rick posted:

Oh yeah it's definitely the injury that knocked him out. But Henry was a guy who was creating a lot of the contact and the refs gave him the whistle for it even though he was a million miles away from being a superstar (although maybe if he stayed healthy he could have gotten famous on the Lakers effect).

When they signed Lin I briefly though a Lin/Kobe/Henry three headed monster would be brutal to try and guard, all three of those guys are good at getting that first step from the perimeter (well, Kobe more from craftiness than athleticism). But then I sorta thought about the rest of the roster, and that guarding Lin and Henry isn't really that frightening. But on paper it was interesting.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Having insurance on your contracts means nothing around liability. I don't think I've ever heard of an employer suing someone for loss of an employees productivity though.

Unless someone has video the police are pretty bulletproof though, especially since your talking about a nightclub at 3am or whatever.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

It's good to know at least someone in New York can break ankles

:master:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

McHale is a decent/good coach, but are you saying you should give a player MVP credit for having a bad coach? I understand the idea of giving s player credit for dragging up a teams offense/defense (though I don't believe it in this case) saying a player would be better in a better system thus he should get votes is kinda weird. Like, vote Jordan since he would be the MVP if he were 25 years younger.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

If NBA players couldn't go out after midnight, they'd never be able to go out, their workday starts at like 530pm

Get enough Money playing a kids game not to go out, when I was in my twenties I couldn't afford to go clubbing every night, etc.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

Jordan made sure his Wizards jerseys fit like a pair of comfy elastic waist jeans

That man was neither having fun nor winning.

Spacebump posted:

Jordan disproves this theory.

To simplify what I meant, (what's following is ridiculous and I apologize)

I guess I kinda understand that, though for me you consider the context, and generally I rate players by how well they are executing the scheme. I tend to put a lot of credit on team success for the MVP though, which is maybe a different mindset from the majority of SAS.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

If....Pero Antic were white......

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

BWV posted:

I think he met "If Pero Antic was a honkey".

Ah. If his SOUL were white.

I had season tickets for one of Beasley's MN years, and even though he wasn't helping win basketball games he was bringing joy to my heart.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

You can't really compare player ORTG with team ORTG. They are calculated differently and for the player lacks any sort of usage (which is always 100% for the team).

In general I also don't like comparing "on-court/off-court" between teams. I guess it's a data point, but who is replacing Harden vs Curry? What are the lineups supposed to do? Are the backups tasked with being more defensive oriented or not?

Also, teams 2nd unit offenses are going to be generally worse than overall offense. I don't think you can compare either Hou or GSW's bench to the entirety of other teams.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

hitze posted:

WHOA FELLAS

I didn't make these charts!!!! Please don't kill me!

Oh its a interesting chart. I think people are just interpreting it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rondo is doing god's work.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Jesus

Curry 3pt Shot Chart

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

quote:

Adam Himmelsbach @AdamHimmelsbach
Follow
J.R. Smith strolled down hall wearing an all-green outfit. He's reminded Cavs are playing Celtics. "This is for the Masters."

I am so happy JR Smith joined a team that will be around in the Finals.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Very true, and philosophically it's still the right move.

It's just interesting to see that one potential outcome of taking low quality shots only when they're 3Ps, and never taking a long 2P unless its a very high quality shot, is that the value of the two shots converges to equality. I expected that in a real world situation the 3P would always have a fairly significant advantage. They're still better off taking the 3s, as taking more 2s would just result in a lower value for the 2P shots, obviously.

It's definitely indicative of the season. Right philosophy, but the talent isn't there for it to pay off. In a weird way its like watching a computer play chess with a two rooks handicap. Making all the right moves, but without the pieces for it to be totally effective.

Very broadly it's:

Open layup > Open 3pt shot, moderately guarded layup > Open midrange shot, moderately guarded 3pt shot, heavily contested layup > moderately guarded midrange shot, heavily guarded 3pt shot > heavily guarded midrange

The open midrange isn't really a bad shot, broadly speaking. Its not something to base your offense around, but you listen to people here and they seem to think everytime you take a wide-open mid-range shot you are taking points away from your team, and that usually isn't true. If you look at the list of teams not taking enough 3s, they correlate to teams that don't have players who can hit 3s. For those teams, taking more 3s isn't going to help you.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

Haralabos Voulgaris had a good point on the bs report, Lebron is still playing a lot of minutes for someone who seems to need and want rest. Maybe Blatt will sit him for this last week and a half of games?

Pretty identical to what Lebron did last year with Spo. He sat out the last two games, but before that he was playing 36-40 minutes per game.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jamesle01/gamelog/2014/

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Everyone was kinda waiting for Robinson to get to the Finals to give him his credit, I remember the thought that the team with him and Rodman should have been a finals team. Then Hakeem dragged that '95 team to a championship and it was pretty much written in stone that Robinson was 2nd to Hakeem. His championship coming only after drafting Duncan helped cement that narrative.

Its lovely timing/situation because Robinson was one of the best ever, but he also never seemed to be the guy to make a big media push to be the greatest or whatever, so "the overlooked superstar" mantle fit him.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Redgrendel2001 posted:

It rolls over into 2016 as a top 10 protected and then in 2017 it's unprotected. Considering the age of Wade and Deng, Bosh's health, and Whiteside's unpredictability I'd be happy taking the risk with the pick deferring.

Next year they will be Whiteside/Bosh/Deng/Wade/Dragic with a ton more rest. You want that pick this year.

Frickin Wolves traded what will probably be the #11 pick for a rental of Thad and then KG.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Zach LaVine's 37 points is more than any Atlanta Hawk has scored in a single game, by 7 points.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

I still don't understand why Stan Van Gundy traded Jonas Jerebko for Tayshaun Prince

He had a guy wanting playing time and none to give. I'm sure they wanted more for him, but the guy could never get on the court and is 28, so I don't think there were many offers. It was essentially just a "cut Jerebko" move and getting Prince back for a little PR.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'm sad we won't see Playoff Westbrook, but playoff Anthony Davis sounds pretty cool.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kibner posted:

Maybe he will finally rotate correctly on defense in the playoffs.

Probably not, but most 22 year old bigs don't do that either.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

alansmithee posted:

Maybe refs shouldn't make game-changing decisions based on if the scary man says something mean to them?

If Ref's didn't T up players for arguing excessively players would argue poo poo about 100x more.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Who leads the leagues in adjusted call-flipping? I want my team to draft that 6'4" PF who was captain of the forensics team. Also, I'm glad they started splitting up games over 2 days, sitting for 6 hours to play 48 minutes of basketball was getting exhuasting.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I've watched way more NBA Robbie Hummel than any many should. Hummel is the essential "White guy who doesn't hurt you". He hits about as many shots as he should, gets defensive rebounds, makes his rotations, fouls at the right time. He is the kind of guy you can plug-in during injuries and largely not affect your rotations. He'll have a long, stupid career.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

I wouldn't worry, the Wolves will end up with the fourth pick anyway.

Karl Towns would be a pretty great fit. I think we're going to end up with Justice Winslow though. He has a high bust potential, I think, but Wolves will end up with the 3 or 4 and the two guards up there look like terrible fits.

A LaVine, Wiggins, Winslow lineup would be such tremendous dunking.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

Projections aside, the Wolves have a future core of Rubio, Wiggins, LaVine, built to play fast. Okafor is not a floor running big. Towns isn't Tyson Chandler or young Amare, but he can run up and down the court.

Other than that, Towns could be a good rim protector and a good pick and roll player on both ends. Even if Okafor learns defense he's still going to be limited by his mobility and tiny vertical.

The calculus is potential to be very good on both ends vs easily best in generation post up player who's limited to being a drop back obstacle on defense

Taking my Wolves Draft chat here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3675001&pagenumber=14

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

It's true there are less good post players. Lots is probably because of AAU and other stuff, but the removal of the illegal defense rule makes a post up in 2015 much more difficult than a 1991 post up. You can be double or triple teamed if need be, while old time players were working one on one most of the time. If he could average 75% in the post he'd be better than Wilt Chamberlain.

Post ups have value because they draw doubles and you can kick out, you have to be really really good at posting up to justify a team centering its offense around your back to the basket scoring.

Al Jefferson has looked like poo poo because of the lack of shooters but also because he's been hurt all year.

I agree with your analysis result, but you could still double-team players in the post pre-rule changes basically exactly like you could today, but good shooters were a lot rarer which made post-play more valuable. Free-throws per game have also gone down, something of a chicken/egg thing regarding moving out of the post, but I think refs have allowed more physical play under the basket than they did in the past. I remember days and days of loose-ball fouls being called in the 90s.

I think sometimes this forum goes overboard against post play because *BEEP BOOP* ALL PLAYS SHOULD BE A CORNER 3 OR A FREE THROW but I do think trying to base your offense around the post is going to be really difficult.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

TheFallenEvincar posted:

That confused and surprised me. I thought Golden State was deep?

That stat is a little misleading. When you bench Curry in the 4th up by 25 you don't really care if you only win by 15. That said, GSW is not deep at PG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

No you see we're not the worst because the Lynx won two titles :downs:

And our Soccer team just got promoted to the MLS.

Don't probate me.

• Locked thread