Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Drunkboxer posted:

it works in books

Not in that one it didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Bimmi posted:

Not in that one it didn't.

yeah it did

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
i want to see the book they made with all the storyboards and poo poo more than anything

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
"I hate Dune!" the total badass posted in the Dune thread, impressing everyone.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Otto von Ruthless posted:

i want to see the book they made with all the storyboards and poo poo more than anything

The Refn anecdote about having dinner with Jodorowsky and having him present the storyboard book to him sounds like the perfect way to do it.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Drunkboxer posted:

yeah it did

Yeah it was terrific the way half the dialogue in the book is characters thinking to themselves in in the same undifferentiated voice, that's not lovely lazy inept writing at all ah yup.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

Agag posted:

The Refn anecdote about having dinner with Jodorowsky and having him present the storyboard book to him sounds like the perfect way to do it.

so become a succesful director and get invited to Jodorowsky's place for dinner, should be easy enough

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Bimmi posted:

Yeah it was terrific the way half the dialogue in the book is characters thinking to themselves in in the same undifferentiated voice, that's not lovely lazy inept writing at all ah yup.

it was good

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bimmi posted:

It worked in that super boring Abrahamic religion but-with-more-imagination kind-of way

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

All the artwork and such that went with the batshit mental stuff was glorious though, the documentary is worth watching simply for all that. I'd love to see more of it all, it was all pretty wonderful.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

david lynch's dune is a flawed treasure and one of my fav. movies of all time

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
If this movie came out, it would have bombed harder than Heaven's Gate, Star Wars would have never come out and the Hollywood blockbuster probably wouldn't exist

in other words the world would have been a better place

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I was just thinking about this while I smoked my last cig last night.

I think if it had been made, and it was good, that would be pretty loving sweet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

the mythology of this movie may be more engaging than the movie would have been...but drat...drat...I would watch that movie

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
I think the only way it would ever actually work is if it was animated

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.
A heavy-metal-like animated version directed by Ralph Bakshi and featuring art direction by Moebius, Ron Cobb, Chris Foss, Jim Burns, etc.

This is a fever dream that will never happen, but it would have been glorious.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Otto von Ruthless posted:

I want this more than I would have ever wanted the movie

TEAYCHES posted:

it's about as good a film as you're going to get out of Dune hating on it is just the slightly more scene version of neckbeards griping forever about how the Lord of The Rings orc fights literally raped their childhood, literally

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 9, 2015

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TEAYCHES posted:

do you like kyle maclachlan in his skin-tight stillsuit

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Omi-Polari posted:

do you like kyle maclachlan in his skin-tight stillsuit

he is really, really hot in that film. like smoking beautiful

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Jodorowsky's Dune (the doc) is good because it led to Dance of Reality which is porbably his best (and most conventional) movie, El Topo and Holy Mountain still own hard tho

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Dune is a good book, and i hope you're trolling Mr. Dune Hater because at it's worst it's a serviceable piece of fiction and a lot of people, not just goons but people in general, a whole lot of people, some almost certainly more qualified to dissect writing techniques and character voice, than you, Contrarian Goon #50,000; think it's probably one of the best pieces of science fiction ever written. Come on dude

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

dune is extremely good and changed my mind on some stuff after reading way too much science fiction written by ayn rand

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

TEAYCHES posted:

he is really, really hot in that film. like smoking beautiful

:agreed:

also lol at people bitching about the voiceovers, the single aspect of the movie most faithful to the original book where 90% of dialogue takes the form of hand gestures or vague reference to the author's 200-page dissertation on psychedelic spaceworm ecology

Dune is a great book but it's close to totally unfilmable

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Cacator posted:

Jodorowsky's Dune (the doc) is good because it led to Dance of Reality which is porbably his best (and most conventional)
Santa Sangre?

Loved Dance of Reality, though.

EDIT: Twin Peaks might be #1 hotness, but I'd still break it off in Dune-era Kyle MacLachlan.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 250 days!)

Jesus gently caress you nerds

Jesus! gently caress you, nerds.
Jesus, gently caress you. Nerds!
Jesus. gently caress you nerds.

Pick which inflection any work for me TIA

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Dune is a great book but it's close to totally unfilmable

Yeah there are plenty of novels that just don't translate well to film and this is one of them. I really like the novel, and I've never seen any of the adaptations. No point.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

caligulamprey posted:

Santa Sangre?

Loved Dance of Reality, though.

EDIT: Twin Peaks might be #1 hotness, but I'd still break it off in Dune-era Kyle MacLachlan.

Eh I guess it was conventional too but I don't remember much about Santa Sangre, which for a Jodorowsky film kind of speaks to its quality

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

the doc was cool
the storyboard book was cool and I wish they'd publish it so I can buy a copy

the actual movie would have been a total mess tho. nobody would have understood it, it would have been regarded as avant-garde nonsense by the general public, and it would have bombed worse than heavens gate.

overall its probs a good thing Jodorowsky's Dune never got made.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
They should make a sequel. Skip Messiah and Children, and go straight into God Emperor.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

god emperor is the single greatest novel ever written about a super sentient worm's experiences ruling a space empire for thousands of years

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

They should make a sequel. Skip Messiah and Children, and go straight into God Emperor.

oh god yes

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

TEAYCHES posted:

god emperor is the single greatest novel ever written

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i liked all of the dune novels written by frank herbert :blush:

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

It's actually embarrassing how much time I've spent imagining ___ (of) Dune scenes as scenes from animated tv shows. In the later books, when everyone can read emotions 'n shiz, all the characters would be followed by semi-transparent doubles of themselves who would over act their emotions while the solid character remained stoic.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
watched lynch's dune earlier today, it's hosed but it's pretty cool too

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

TEAYCHES posted:

i liked all of the dune novels written by frank herbert :blush:

nah, you're good

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Yeah a traditional Dune movie is basically impossible. It could work as a one season show though. The narrative needs lots of room to breathe, and I demand lingering, loving shots of desert landscapes.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
and yeah dune maclachlan was just ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

The only way to do justice to Dune, really, is on the stage.

• Locked thread