Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
I can't be the only person who has a palpable hunger for high res scans of the graphic manuscript

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

huskarl_marx posted:

I can't be the only person who has a palpable hunger for high res scans of the graphic manuscript

Indeed you are not.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Reconsider. B-Herb and Kandy try to write in Frank's style and don't always succeed, but Leto's Golden Path actually is about not getting murdered by those robits the prequels feature. It's not the most elegant ending, but it's assembled from Frank's notes.

You would literally have to show me a signed copy of the "notes" where Frank Herbert came up with the lamest robot war this side of Genisys before I will believe that was the intent of Leto II's Golden Path. Correct me if I'm wrong but there was nothing at all in FH's books that suggested the Butlerian Jihad was literally a terminator style robot war. I always got the impression man's "enslavement" by machines was figurative and the Jihad was a war to free his spirit from the complacency born of convenience.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Applewhite posted:

You would literally have to show me a signed copy of the "notes" where Frank Herbert came up with the lamest robot war this side of Genisys before I will believe that was the intent of Leto II's Golden Path. Correct me if I'm wrong but there was nothing at all in FH's books that suggested the Butlerian Jihad was literally a terminator style robot war. I always got the impression man's "enslavement" by machines was figurative and the Jihad was a war to free his spirit from the complacency born of convenience.

I thought the Butlerian Jihad was long in the past; how can it be affected by the Golden Path? Or does this have to do with Brian Herbertrocities I'm better off not knowing about?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Happy Hedonist posted:

We all think you're retarded.

hemophilia posted:

defending post-Frank Dune is a bad troll and yeah retarded

Oh man I'm sorry I triggered you guys about a cool book series and its series of adaptions even though things never live up to expectations.

I'm going to watch "Jodorowsky's Dune" shortly, I'll let you all know how it turns out! If I like it, and still like those other things, I hope it doesn't further enrage anyone!:v:

Applewhite posted:

"[Leto] fell silent, gathering his strength, but he felt the energy flowing from him even as he tried to hold it. Once more, the clamor arose within him -- voices pleading and shouting. "Every historical reference to the Scattering and the Famine Times has to be taken out and reexamined! What have we to fear? No Ixian machine can do what we, the descendants of Duncan Idaho and Siona, have done. How many universes have we populated? None can guess. No one person will ever know. Does the Church fear the occasional prophet? We know that the visionaries cannot see us nor predict our decisions. No death can find all of humankind." No ancestral presences would remain in her consciousness, but she would carry with her forever afterward the clear sights and sounds and smells. The seeking machines would be there, the smell of blood and entrails, the cowering humans in their burrows aware only that they could not escape . . . while all the time the mechanical movement approached, nearer and nearer and nearer ...louder...louder! Everywhere she searched, it would be the same. No escape anywhere." — God Emperor of Dune

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 17, 2015

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
They may upgrade you from retarded, to retarted.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I thought the Butlerian Jihad was long in the past; how can it be affected by the Golden Path? Or does this have to do with Brian Herbertrocities I'm better off not knowing about?

The Golden Path doesn't affect the Butlerian Jihad, but (according to Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson) not all the robots were killed. They Evolved, they look and feel human, there are many copies (of Omnius and Erasmus, the boss robots) and they have a plan...

According to BH and KJA, the "Golden Path" put humanity on the road to defeat the robots when they came back for revenge. The True Kwizatz Haderach turns out to be the ultimate mediator and he brokers a peace w/ the robots

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
The Face Dancers are basically Cylons.

This has all happened before. It will all happen again.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Applewhite posted:

The Golden Path doesn't affect the Butlerian Jihad, but (according to Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson) not all the robots were killed. They Evolved, they look and feel human, there are many copies (of Omnius and Erasmus, the boss robots) and they have a plan...

According to BH and KJA, the "Golden Path" put humanity on the road to defeat the robots when they came back for revenge. The True Kwizatz Haderach turns out to be the ultimate mediator and he brokers a peace w/ the robots

That is really dumb, and also did they steal the ideas from Moore and Eick, or vice versa?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

"[Leto] fell silent, gathering his strength, but he felt the energy flowing from him even as he tried to hold it. Once more, the clamor arose within him -- voices pleading and shouting. "Every historical reference to the Scattering and the Famine Times has to be taken out and reexamined! What have we to fear? No Ixian machine can do what we, the descendants of Duncan Idaho and Siona, have done. How many universes have we populated? None can guess. No one person will ever know. Does the Church fear the occasional prophet? We know that the visionaries cannot see us nor predict our decisions. No death can find all of humankind." No ancestral presences would remain in her consciousness, but she would carry with her forever afterward the clear sights and sounds and smells. The seeking machines would be there, the smell of blood and entrails, the cowering humans in their burrows aware only that they could not escape . . . while all the time the mechanical movement approached, nearer and nearer and nearer ...louder...louder! Everywhere she searched, it would be the same. No escape anywhere." — God Emperor of Dune

This bears further examination. It's been literally a decade since I read GEoD.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Wait, it's been years since I've read this - and before reading the prequels - so I might be mixing it up but at the time I remember thinking he was referring to IX's attempt at creating a sort of mechanical Kwisatz Haderach in violation of the anti-AI accords that could predict the future and thus replace guild navigators and where that would ultimately lead.
These weren't left overs from the Butlerian Jihad, it was a whole "those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it" thing.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh god, I read one of those. The one about the Butlerian Jihad.

The most pathetically stupid thing in the novel to me (among many) was that the Earth gets nuked to kill the main robot mind, but it's explained beforehand that everyone on the planet was already dead because the robots had already killed them, so nobody actually died from the nukes and the revolutionaries didn't have any actual human blood on their hands from it.

quote:

The clamor continued, and finally, surprisingly, Serena Butler made her way to the speakers’ dome beside Xavier. “Earth is nothing more than a festering graveyard now, with evil thinking machines trampling through it. Every living human being there has already been slaughtered.” She drew a deep breath, her lavender eyes blazing. “What is left to preserve?What have we got to lose?”

Even a ten year old would recognize this as a bullshit maneuver that's meant to excuse the author from having to deal with complicated moral issues brought up by the plot and his characters actions. But, welp, a grown-assity Brian Herbert, then in his mid-50s, went ahead and did it anyway because he's a hack who only knows black-and-white melodrama.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Oh god, I read one of those. The one about the Butlerian Jihad.

The most pathetically stupid thing in the novel to me (among many) was that the Earth gets nuked to kill the main robot mind, but it's explained beforehand that everyone on the planet was already dead because the robots had already killed them, so nobody actually died from the nukes and the revolutionaries didn't have any actual human blood on their hands from it.

Even a ten year old would recognize this as a bullshit maneuver that's meant to excuse the author from having to deal with complicated moral issues brought up by the plot and his characters actions. But, welp, a grown-assity Brian Herbert, then in his mid-50s, went ahead and did it anyway because he's a hack who only knows black-and-white melodrama.

Isn't this the same one where a guy is forced to watch his sister gang raped before having her throat slit or something? It's been years since I read it.

I don't think moral issues were much of a problem for Brian, he's just a poo poo writer.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Bubble-T posted:

Isn't this the same one where a guy is forced to watch his sister gang raped before having her throat slit or something? It's been years since I read it.

I don't think moral issues were much of a problem for Brian, he's just a poo poo writer.

It might have been. You're correct that Brian Herbert, being a hack writer who will write anything for the sake of shallow pathos, would probably not be hung up with moral qualms about including all manner of gross poo poo. My gripe was more that it was an exceptionally hacky way of handling an event that should have been highly significant in the story. Probably because having to deal with the ethical and moral repercussions, leading up to it and the aftermath, would have otherwise been a lot more work for him plot-wise.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

1 fun trick to a real cool own: just cram 'triggered' into any ol place, doesn't matter where; lol what a tumbl that dude must be

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

The best part of the documentary is when that dude tells how Jodorowsky have him some killer weed and he started tripping out and seeing Jodorowsky as some kind of wizard. Jodorowsky is awesome and his Dune would have been awesome but it's even more unfilmable than the book.

If it were animated with Johnny Quest levels of quality it would still cost a billion dollars and be 10 hours long. I'd have loved it but it's hilarious to watch him get all excited laying out these insane amazing ideas that were and still are probably just impossible to achieve and then he gets mad because Hollywood didn't want an insane drug wizard running around with all their blockbuster money.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Robotnik Nudes posted:

it's hilarious to watch him get all excited laying out these insane amazing ideas that were and still are probably just impossible to achieve and then he gets mad because Hollywood didn't want an insane drug wizard running around with all their blockbuster money.

this is why the documentary was a good watch

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

this is why the documentary was a good watch

Agreed. Jodorowsky's endless enthusiasm is infectious.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Gatekeeper posted:

lmao this poo poo owns, nothing can surpass lynch's dune

LONG LIVE DUKE LETO
ARF ARF

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Howard Beale posted:

paul walker would have wanted it that way :patriot:

his hair was gross im glad hes dead

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

They talk about it in chapterhouse too iirc.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Messiah isn't bad it's just a merely good solid book coming between two lunatic masterpieces. there's not all that much to say about it with the 800-ton timeworm in the room

you should definitely stop reading the series after God-Emperor though

Messiah is basically dune's A feast for the crows

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Messiah is a good book. It's a good follow-up to Dune, but God Emperor is indeed pure insanity and Dune came out of nowhere and no followup could ever hope to capture that lightning in a bottle again.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

huskarl_marx posted:

Why don't they just publish it? Nerds will pay any price.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
atomics!

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
“Try looking into that place where you dare not look! You'll find me there, staring out at you!”
-Jim Bob Duggar

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
The Butlerian Jihads were irredeemable garbage, but 12 your old me thought the house books were pretty good for not being by Frank, if not matching the standard set by the first books. :shrug:

Also, nthing the complaints about Chapterhouse and Heretics. I read the books from Dune to God Emperor in 6th grade, but wasn't able to come back and finish the series for years after that. Still don't know what the space jew bits had to do with anything.

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008

Lasher posted:

Still got a bit choked up at the end when he started crying and throwing money away,

"THIS! THIS IS ALL THEY CARE ABOOOUT!"

It's all I care about too, you fruit. Stop throwing it away.

I also noticed he had a couple hundred euros in walking around money, so yeah Alejandro, you can talk poo poo on money WHEN YOU HAVE IT

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

"I'm raping Frank Herbert"

:stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Kikka posted:

orson welles as baron harkonnen.
dali had 3 minutes of screentime because he asked 100,000 dollars a minute, and his scene would have consisted of him pissing and making GBS threads into two tubes at the same time and burning a giraffe; the rest of the time there'd been an animatronic of him.
jodorowsky got a martial arts trainer to train his son for half a year.
paul is concieved by jessica turning some of letos blood into semen (hes an eunuch) and we'd get a scene of the blood-semen traveling down a vajayjay.
the ending is terrible. it ignores the political nuances of why arrakis must stay a desert planet and it becomes a lush paradise which travels the galaxy enlightening other planets.
also not one ounce, not ONE bit, of the loving awesome abrahamic religion stuff the book has.

now it would have been a great experience of film, but it would have been terrible as a movie or a movie of dune.
the art by chris foss, moebius and giger was rly cool though.

"they didnt do this movie because they were AFRAID of jodorowsky and his vision!" no jodorowsky is a terrible pothead director. interesting but not marketable.

This all sounds really good.

• Locked thread