Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I want to see Jodorowski's Dune but call it literally anything else because Dune is important to me and that's not dune

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Salvador Dali was a treasure.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Lynch's Dune is 'good' in the theatrical cut. I mean, there's a lot of iconic imagery there and it's still david lynch, and there was some documentary about it a few years back that pretty thoroughly laid the shortcomings of that film on the hands of the De Laurentiis

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-EdLMxjPCg

Should be illegal to hate this.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Dune is a good book, and i hope you're trolling Mr. Dune Hater because at it's worst it's a serviceable piece of fiction and a lot of people, not just goons but people in general, a whole lot of people, some almost certainly more qualified to dissect writing techniques and character voice, than you, Contrarian Goon #50,000; think it's probably one of the best pieces of science fiction ever written. Come on dude

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Dune is tough to film, but Dune Messiah and Children Of Dune would be fine. if you could establish it with Dune. It's a jigsaw puzzle where 1/3 is insanely complex and the other 2/3 are just two really large solid pieces.

Like seriously, if anyone could half way decently anchor it with the first movie, Dune Messiah and Children Of Dune could be almost straight up adaptations. Not necessarily summer blockbuster material but filmable.

I don't know why anyone shits on them though. They're not revolutionary like Dune and God Emperor but Dune Messiah is about watching Paul start a horrible revolution and dealing with the effects of the imperial cult set up around his gifts. That's awesome. Children of Dune gives you some frame of reference as to why the known universe is ruled my a semi-omnipotent manworm in book 4.

Speaking of unfilmable, God Emperor is definitely unfilmable.

I think it would work as a one-man Broadway show though.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I.C. posted:

I got what I thought was "Dune" for a buck, but then I got home and started watching it, and thought it looked…not at all like I remember it looking.
So I start reading the case and it came out in like 2000 and has William Hurt in it. I mean, I like William Hurt, but…Anyway, there is that one, just letting you know. I have it on tape. Two tapes.

Nice try, but this poo poo is as tiresome as that 'grifter' meme.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

I have never read Dune because it sounds like dumb poo poo for the lowest depths of the nerd underclass but did finally see David Lynch's film for the first time a few weeks back. It may well be the worst film I have ever watched and feel like it's given me brain cancer.

Also, Alicia Witt was terrifying.

Dune came up in 1965 and could probably be seen as the drug infused origin of the 'i am special i was born special the main good guy is a you insert' trend in young adult fiction but it's not really, but you can take it that way, because paul is a 14 year old boy who takes a bunch of drugs and becomes a desert terrorist.

So it's also Lawrence Of Arabia in space with a not-gay sadist

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's almost like Dune subverted self insert young adult fiction about wunderkinds like Harry Potter and Ender's Game before they even existed. A major theme is the inherient danger of hero worship and how our so called Gods and Messiahs are flawed.

Of course this doesn't really come across in the movie. The movie is fairly faithful but doesn't explain half the poo poo in the universe and the characters come off as weird, cold and inhuman, so without the context of the book it makes little sense and is pretty impenetrable. It fails as a movie because you need to read the book first to get it.

Or you can do what my father did and what I did for my friends, who also like the movie inexplicably now, is you just be there and explain things to them as needed. Not in an overbearing way but just be like "this movie makes no sense without a frame of reference, so if you have questions I can answer them" and if you do this, I don't know why but people who tolerate that end up liking the movie.

There is a group of people I know, who enjoy David Lynch's Dune, that are to varying degrees ignorant of the book.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

The problem with trying to make Dune into a motion picture is that two and a half hours is not enough time to tell this story and give you the proper context so you understand what's going on and what it's all about. The problem with trying to make Dune for TV is that it is a story on such a gigantic, epic scale that it's beyond the scope of most TV series budgets. Jodorowsky's Dune film was beyond ambitious. The amount of money you'd need to pull that off would be staggering, and with something like Dune mixed with an avant garde director like Jodorowsky, it wouldn't have resonated with mainstream audiences at all and would have bombed. It would have likely tanked whatever studio agreed to do it like Heaven's Gate tanked United Artists and shook the film industry to its core.

edit: holy poo poo, I think that's the biggest effort post I've ever made in the gibbis, jesus h. christ
Effort posting is fine, sometimes one liners and half baked thoughts suck and it's hard to discuss Dune that way and not come off as genuinely retarded

But yeah, in the documentary, it's clear that Jodorowski had no idea how to budget the film. His 1.7 million or whatever insanely low figure he projected while trying to sell the movie isn't even taken seriously by the finance guy/producer who is interviewed repeatedly throughout. Especially in hind-sight, knowing what films like Star Wars, Alien, 2001, Andromeda Strain, and all that were doing with real budgets and serious studio power behind effects development and not even coming close to what Jodorowski's storyboards called for.

The documentary wants to suggest Jodorowski is this old film wizard who hollywood cast aside for being weird, but could have pulled it off better than that david lynch fellow and the de laurentiis group did 20 years later with a whole lot more money. He's deluded in his thinking. I believe he could have finished a film of some sort, but he was never going to get the money or control of a project like that. The Holy Mountain is a really neat film, and is a perfectly fine legacy for the man instead of his insane, epic plot to scam hollywood with a butchered Dune movie featuring Salvador Dali making GBS threads in a chair, and baron harkonen graphically dismembering the duke. The son came off like he had serious issues with his father in that documentary too, and he got this glazed, terrified 'nam looking flashback when asked about his training to play Paul, so really I'm glad that weird production was killed.

For all the faults of the Dune film we got, the myth of Jodorowski's Dune was more appealing than the blandly terrible truth of whatever Jodorowski was going to inflict on us, that's what the doc showed me.

The fact that his storyboards, art, and concepts were possibly ripped off and stolen for other films but he and most of his people were never really taken seriously or consulted or paid is a bit hosed up, but I'm kind of glad it happened anyway. HR Giger still got pulled into hollywood and iirc several of the other art guys ended up getting more out of the failed production than they would have if the film had actually been made.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Dune is unfilmable if you want to be faithful to the source material. You can change things up and get something else, and if you changed as little as possible just to make it work in a film or television medium, a miniseries would probably be the better option.

Honestly if HBO greenlit a go at Dune I would expect them to know good from bad, watchable from unwatchable right now. If it happened with them I'd be optimistic. Anybody else and it might be a trainwreck. Even AMC's Dune would probably be real bad.

HBO has shown they can churn out expensive, flashy, and plot-wise fairly intricate movie-quality television and i'll get down on my knees and suck their cock all day long for it, but even they might not be able to do a loving thing with Dune, but they're the only game in town I would even let myself have hope for.

edit:

Gammatron 64 posted:

This is true, but to be honest, Lynch's Dune was still pretty drat inaccessible even though they tried to make it more accessible. Maybe Dune really is just completely unfilmable.

The story as I understand it is that we'll never really know what Lynch had in mind with Dune. The De Laurentiis group panicked early during post production or late in filming and left a lot of footage on the cutting room floor. Stuff that is just loving gone forever, because it was thrown out early on, and even if you found it would be unusable because sfx reels were never made or are destroyed. That kind of thing. And any sense of vision he had for the film was thrown out by Dino De Laurentiis himself pretty early on.

At least he kept his name on it you know, when they did the special extended edition DVD release is when I heard all this poo poo, and he was so mad at the extended cut he had his name struck from it.

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 9, 2015

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

If I ever see "brian herbert's" anything televised except a mass book burning,

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

to be fair frank herbert was writing some bizarrely lame overpowered futuretech by the time he died too. no-ships and no-chambers and axlotl tanks being literally an entire class of woman enslaved and mutated into giant vagina clone tanks

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Agag posted:

Dune and God Emperor of Dune are the only ones that matter. Once they glass Arrakis and they can make synthetic spice I kind of lost interest.

Those two are really good, but I feel like Dune Messiah gets undersold a lot. Children I can take or leave but Messiah doesn't deserve the dismissal it gets.

Heretics/Chapterhouse have their moments, it's not the worst sci-fi you'll ever read. I usually tell people if you make it to God-Emperor and finish it with any enthusiasm you should probably finish Frank Herbert's books.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Jodorowsky knows how to make a film. The Holy Mountain is crazy and cool, and you should check it out. His vision for Dune is interesting and it's so appropriately strange how it has apparently affected sci-fi cinema subliminally even as other Dune projects are created and made, or shelved, while the plans and outlines for this one continue to rot in a few vaults.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The bene gesserit are integral to the entire series, a pretty cool concept to have in a sci fi series started in the mid 60s, and one of the majorly disappointing aspects of the later Frank Herbert books is the Honored Matres which are hard to describe except "Bene Gesserit, but SEXY EVIL AGGRESSIVE SEX gently caress MURDER DEATH".

would

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The Fish Speakers are cool too. It's just been a really long time since I've read God Emperor and I never think of them because I haven't seen the God: Emperor Of Dune movie as much as I've seen Lynch's Dune.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Blind Sally posted:

yeah, Chapterhouse: Dune has its moments, what with the magic space sex cult, the Super Saiyan guy, JEWS IN SPACE, the so-good-at-sex-that-he-can-out-sex-the-magic-space-sex-cult-and-enslave-them-to-his-penis guy, and the whole "it's not actually pedophilia because the kid has the mind of an adult--or will after we gently caress him" thing. No wait, nevermind, Chapterhouse: Dune is loving terrible.

If you make it to God-Emperor and finish it with any enthusiasm, you should never read Chapterhouse: Dune. That book is poo poo.

I never finished Chapterhouse admittedly, I only made it through Heretics. I set Chapterhouse Dune aside for boredom and you actually make it sound more interesting than it is.

With books most people stop when they're not having fun, but to people who haven't read this pretty dense set of books, God Emperor is a good barometer if you're even going to loving tolerate the next book or anything about chapterhouse.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also this thread and facebook discussions have convinced me to stop after God emperor and call it a day regardless

Just keep going till you're bored, but give God Emperor an honest shot. It's not really like anything else I've read. Maybe someone else can compare it to something, but it's honestly fairly unique in popular literature, at least. You might at least be curious what frank did after that book, so starting into heretics and going as far as you can wouldn't hurt you. If you finish Chapterhouse somehow, stop there for sure though. Don't tread into brian herb

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

There are worse sins than a james franco paul atreides.

but you don't have to worry because James Franco would totally be Doctor Yueh

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Frank Herbert is a really good author, and acting like he's less than one of the great authors of the English language is triggering me badly. Please stop

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The basic plot is there but there is absolutely no reference for things like the water of life, and even the nature of spice isn't very well shown. Why is shield technology so lovely? At times these omissions make characters and their motivations drat near incomprehensible, and the shoehorned in monologues manage to make these problems worse at times

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Doesn't that long cut david lynch had his name struck from have some extremely lovely, raw looking scenes that were put in anyway because "extra dune!!!!"?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

defending post-Frank Dune is a bad troll and yeah retarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Messiah is a good book. It's a good follow-up to Dune, but God Emperor is indeed pure insanity and Dune came out of nowhere and no followup could ever hope to capture that lightning in a bottle again.

• Locked thread