Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
Humanity will continue to exist and thrive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Hexagonal posted:

If this were real life, I would ask you how you managed to say that with a straight face.

Things are great now and they'll only get better thanks to innovations in science & technology.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

fade5 posted:

I was going to give the standard "we have 5 billion years until the sun becomes a Red Giant and barbecues the Earth" but as it turns out multicellular life will be dead far before then: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_far_future

I always get an existential feeling of true insignificance when I think how loving tiny we are compared to the vastness of the universe.

We'll have long escaped the earth by then.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

emfive posted:

I want a smart robot refrigerator that will automatically dump old rotten stuff out of a tube in the back where it goes to some sort of neighborhood compost pile or maybe the Third World. It will post weekly reports of how much I've contributed to society by forgetting about food I bought.

Sounds good or maybe it could be used as biofuel.

And just because some pieces of technology are fairly useless doesn't mean we haven't achieved great things also.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Motto posted:

It won't happen.

You're just projecting your own pessimism and dissatisfaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Omi-Polari posted:

There was some effects-of-nuclear-war report from the 1970s that argued a war would shift the political power base of the United States to rural areas. What it didn't say, but what it basically meant, was that the GOP would benefit from a massive demographic shift in its favor, as nuclear bombs disproportionately kill city-dwellers (liberals).

Funny how Americans can imagine the nuclear apocalypse but not an end to their two party system.

• Locked thread