Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
coast is stuck in the mouth of that cave. In a short time high tide will be upon them, and unless he is unstuck, they will all be drowned except the fat man, whose head is out of the cave.

Someone in the group has a stick of dynamite.

There seems no way to get the fat man loose without using the dynamite, which will inevitably kill the fat man; but if they do not use it everyone will drown. What should they do?

Also, what are some other tough moral dilemmas? Think Sophie's choice and that one about the runaway train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
If the man eats the dynamite then it'll be funny and everyone can laugh while they drown.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Joust posted:

If the man eats the dynamite then it'll be funny and everyone can laugh while they drown.

why didn't any of these so-called philosophers think of that? what a bunch of mooks

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
do this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFwxH3PPWiU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
how is this a dilemma

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013
OP is prolly a philosopher irl

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Zzulu posted:

how is this a dilemma

because every life matters

yeah that's why. yup. every life.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

You are an inmate in a concentration camp. A sadistic guard is about to hang your son who tried to escape and wants you to pull the chair from underneath him. He says that if you don't he will not only kill your son but some other innocent inmate as well. You don't have any doubt that he means what he says. What should you do?

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
Do I have my Katana?

If so I pull the chair and let my son hang to show this guard I mean business.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
suck the guards dick and make him fall for you and then have him break you out of there

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
blow up the fat man obviously

like even if it didn't save any lives it's the moral thing to do

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Zzulu posted:

suck the guards dick and make him fall for you and then have him break you out of there

"suck a dick" is actually the right answer to all these moral dillema questions. sry for giving the answer away so soon

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
the fat guy is probably a cop so he deserves death

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

also, lol to think a fat man could lead a group of people. Lack of self control does not make for a good leader.

only place i'm following fatty is to the buffet.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

You and 3 of your coworkers are about to go to lunch. You will be driving them in your car. They all want Wendy's, but you want Burger King. Where should you go?

God drat I should be a philosophy professor, or as I would call myself if I were one, a phil pro.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Roger Smith, a quite competent swimmer, is out for a leisurely stroll. During the course of his walk he passes by a deserted pier from which a teenage boy who apparently cannot swim has fallen into the water. The boy is screaming for help. Smith recognizes that there is absolutely no danger to himself if he jumps in to save the boy; he could easily succeed if he tried. Nevertheless, he chooses to ignore the boy's cries. The water is cold and he is afraid of catching a cold -- he doesn't want to get his good clothes wet either. "Why should I inconvenience myself for this kid," Smith says to himself, and passes on. Does Smith have a moral obligation to save the boy? If so, should he have a legal obligation ["Good Samaritan" laws] as well?

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
You are a man with a gun. You have the option of either a) pointing the gun at a dude and shooting him, or b) not doign that. If you choose either a) or b), you will be visited by the ghost of a girl without a face who will read tweets from Dawkin's twitter feed when you sleep.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
I have a PhD in philosophy and other stuff and let's just say::this whole thread + premise is extremely my poo poo.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Matey posted:

You and 3 of your coworkers are about to go to lunch. You will be driving them in your car. They all want Wendy's, but you want Burger King. Where should you go?

God drat I should be a philosophy professor, or as I would call myself if I were one, a phil pro.

To the doctor's or whoever else can help you with your brain problems.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Minimalist Program posted:

You are a man with a gun. You have the option of either a) pointing the gun at a dude and shooting him, or b) not doign that. If you choose either a) or b), you will be visited by the ghost of a girl without a face who will read tweets from Dawkin's twitter feed when you sleep.

i think the only moral option is c) shoot up a school

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
is the boy fat

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Are we starting an Ultima game here?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Put it in his butt, OP

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

If there are ethical dilemmas that don't involve murdering fat men, then I don't wanna hear them.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

You order a big mac and fries in the mcdonalds drive thru. After paying and receiving the bag of food, you start to drive away. Before you leave the parking lot, you look in the bag and realize you got an extra big mac. After getting home and eating all of the food, you look at the bottom of one of the big mac boxes and see that an employee has written "I JIZZED ON THIS FREE BIG MAC." What do you do?

A little more open ended for some of the higher level philosophy students

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Matey posted:

You order a big mac and fries in the mcdonalds drive thru. After paying and receiving the bag of food, you start to drive away. Before you leave the parking lot, you look in the bag and realize you got an extra big mac. After getting home and eating all of the food, you look at the bottom of one of the big mac boxes and see that an employee has written "I JIZZED ON THIS FREE BIG MAC." What do you do?

A little more open ended for some of the higher level philosophy students

You sue the company for emotional damages.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

A misanthrope posted:

i think the only moral option is c) shoot up a school

ghmm, that's good.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

You sue the company for emotional damages.

Pretty good. B+

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Minimalist Program posted:

:ghost: Please stop calling me dick dorkins :ghost:

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

A misanthrope posted:

You are an inmate in a concentration camp. A sadistic guard is about to hang your son who tried to escape and wants you to pull the chair from underneath him. He says that if you don't he will not only kill your son but some other innocent inmate as well. You don't have any doubt that he means what he says. What should you do?

fall out of a guard tower

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Careful im pretty sure its bannable to make fun of fat ppl, its not like your ripping on dead babies or 9/11 here where everyone can enjoy

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
after a shipwreck, you find yourself trapped on a lifeboat with a great big fat man, no food, a knife, and plenty of fresh water. Also there's a hole in the boat, but the fat man is sitting over it plugging the hole with his rear end.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
Three men are standing in the road several feet apart from each other as your speeding car approaches. One yells "cuck". One yells "I'm gay." The third yells "goku." You don't have time to stop. What is the best way to position your car so that you hit all three?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
option a) you have to suck a big burly mans dick for survival
option b) there is no option b

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Cumslut1895 posted:

:ghost: Please stop calling me dick dorkins :ghost:

Whatever God or Hell Prince forced that child to do this is kind of an rear end. No matter how loyal she is to start with, a few years of this will make her resentful.

The answer is befriend the horror-ghost and convince her to rebel, unionize, or just plain murder her boss, whichever's easiest.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
You're trapped inside the body of a man, but you are a woman in the brains. What do you do?

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
post about it

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Zzulu posted:

You're trapped inside the body of a man, but you are a woman in the brains. What do you do?

I cut my way out of the grotesquely large man's brains.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
sa is so cutting-edge!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
im gay

• Locked thread