Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Sir Tonk posted:

SUSPENSION: The Mustang is fitted with red Konis, Eibach springs, and decent sway bars. I liked the way it handled and would like something "similar", but without slamming the Volvo. Houston's roads are trash and I'm not daily driving another lowered car. It could stand to go down an inch or so, but that's about it. I dug around on ipd a bit and found one set of rear springs and nothing for the front. I'm also not sure if their sway bars will fit. Getting Bilsteins for the shocks/struts would be fine, I don't need the track performance of Konis, but the larger sway bars would be great. If anyone has input on suspension for these guys I'm all ears. This thing is as old as I am and as with everything else that's in it

With the V6 or a V8 conversion, you need the special V6 version of the front sway bar. It has an extra huge dip to cut down below the motor. If you look at your stock sway bar you'll see what I mean. If you find an IPD V6 sway bar for sale on TB you snag that thing immediately as they are basically unicorn horns at this point I think. But slight lowering, sport shocks and sways will completely transform the car without making it uncomfortable at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Oh yeah, you will have the stock V6 sway bar, I'm just saying keep an eye out for the upgrade sway bar and if you want it jump on it fast.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Sir Tonk posted:

Hey LloydDobler, is this Addco front bar similar to the ipd one?

Sure looks like it. That'd be a 22mm bar, which should be a nice upgrade over your presumably 19mm or 20mm bar.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I'm pretty sure mounting points are identical for all 240s. But you'd only want that bar if you need the clearance for an engine swap.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

What I love about that coleman is it matches the car, in color and (presumably) vintage.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Do you seriously have to pop the u-joints on that car to pull the transmission? I thought that yoke came out or something. U-joints are a bitch to install/replace on a bench, I can't imagine doing it under the car.

Also not sure if you know, but I just noticed you have 242GT wheels on your wagon, those are rare and only came on the GT model as far as I know. Turbobricks is down right this second but I know there's a guy looking for a set, not sure what he's willing to pay but you might be able to finance a bit of the project with those if you aren't attached to them. If you want it to look more like a sleeper, I'd get some Volvo steelies and then have them widened just an inch or so.

Edit: TB is back up, they're not quite as rare as I thought but still a couple hundred bucks. He said he'll pay $200-$350 depending on condition. http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=317484

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 19, 2016

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Sir Tonk posted:

I doubt I'm going to find a set of 14x7 wheels that look like that.

I was suggesting you can have them made. Steel wheels are super easy to just slice around the perimeter and weld a band of steel in it to make it wider, wheel shops do it all the time. Or you have them cut the center out and put it in a wider drum. You can control the offset and dish, so at best you'll end up with wheels that look slightly deeper than stock, nobody but car guys will notice.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Sir Tonk posted:

I hadn't even thought of that, what a good idea. I'll just widen a set of Virgos and sell off the GT ones I've got to someone that needs them. Thanks y'all.

Well, nobody will do it on aluminum wheels, I don't think. Maybe, do some googling.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

If you're messing with the lights, do the chevy celebrity light mod: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=271975

Everyone in that thread seemed to hate it but I think it looks awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

What are these bolts you speak of? If you're throwing out an exhaust, a sawzall is all the wrench you need. Even a hacksaw by hand will go through that quickly if you don't have a sawzall.

• Locked thread