Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dead Gay Romans posted:

Everyone should watch the PBS documentary series about the Civil War. It is amazing and highly informative.

One part of it really stuck with me and while it is obvious in hindsight, was still shocking as hell.

So many of the Battles on the Potomac front were fought in the same areas year after year...that union soldiers marching towards battle in the spring would be marching past thousands of rotting corpses and skeletons of their former comrades poking out of the melting snow.

"Off to battle boys"

Holy. poo poo.

it's on Netflix too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

WINNINGHARD posted:

Why is it hillbillies? do you know any hillbillies? "hillbillies" primarily fought on the Union side and the bulk of them died for their country.

a) While the term has primarily been used to refer to Appalachian residents of West Virginia, it has also been used to refer to, for example, residents of the Ozark regions of Missouri and Arkansas.

My Q-Face posted:

This is true. Hillbillies and Rednecks have some overlap, but are not synonymous. The reason there's a West Virginia is, because the Hillbillies didn't want to fight for the rich Virginians, so they seceded from Virginia and rejoined the Union.

b) Your use of "rednecks" is just as much of a problem if you want to take this argument. German immigrant farmers were some of the strongest abolitionists and Union supporters.

c) I was clearly using the present tense and referring to the huge number of people who proudly display the traitors' flag today, many of whom live in parts of the country which did not secede in the 1860s including but not limited to Appalachia and the rural Midwest (hillbillies and rednecks).

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

etalian posted:

it's on Netflix too

Go watch this now you idiots.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

Irradiation posted:

Ken Burns? no thanks. I was fooled once into watching his hilariously inept take on jazz music.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Irradiation posted:

Worth it for Shelby Foote alone. I found Barbara J . Fields pretty insufferable but she didn't ruin the overall product.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I want to learn more about Southern counties seceding. That is totally bad rear end.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jastiger posted:

I want to learn more about Southern counties seceding. That is totally bad rear end.

Pro-succession sentiment wasn't across the board especially seeing how the rich slaveholder class wasn't loved by all southerners.

Not surprising some counties which didn't have any slaves or plantations also didn't gleefully buy into succession from the union.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Unionist

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Man, FUUUUCK McClennan! Sitting outside Richmond with superior forces for months on end like a loving coward then he has the balls to run against Lincoln in the election. gently caress off.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

dsriggs posted:

Man, FUUUUCK McClennan! Sitting outside Richmond with superior forces for months on end like a loving coward then he has the balls to run against Lincoln in the election. gently caress off.

his ultimate dick move was when Lincoln went off to meet him at whatever building he was using as his HQ. He's not there so Lincoln and crew decide to wait his return. When he eventually does get back very late at night he is informed by a maid that Lincoln has been waiting all day to see him, his response is to scoff and then go to bed while refusing to meet with the goddamn president of the united states

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

etalian posted:

Pro-succession sentiment wasn't across the board especially seeing how the rich slaveholder class wasn't loved by all southerners.

Not surprising some counties which didn't have any slaves or plantations also didn't gleefully buy into succession from the union.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Unionist

"secession"

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Dead Gay Romans posted:

Everyone should watch the PBS documentary series about the Civil War. It is amazing and highly informative.

One part of it really stuck with me and while it is obvious in hindsight, was still shocking as hell.

So many of the Battles on the Potomac front were fought in the same areas year after year...that union soldiers marching towards battle in the spring would be marching past thousands of rotting corpses and skeletons of their former comrades poking out of the melting snow.

"Off to battle boys"

Holy. poo poo.

this one always got me

That and the story on Civil War Combat where the one union guy goes to a creek to fill canteens and trips on his way there. When he looks back at what he tripped on it's an exposed skeleton from a previous battle.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Apr 13, 2015

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

dsriggs posted:

His greatest contribution of the war was not being so incompetent that he got the Army of the Potomac destroyed; his overbearing caution kept Lee from filling that particular objective, which meant actuallly good generals could take his place down the road

getting into bed with Copperheads during the 1864 election, though, was unforgiveable

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast

Raskolnikov38 posted:

his ultimate dick move was when Lincoln went off to meet him at whatever building he was using as his HQ. He's not there so Lincoln and crew decide to wait his return. When he eventually does get back very late at night he is informed by a maid that Lincoln has been waiting all day to see him, his response is to scoff and then go to bed while refusing to meet with the goddamn president of the united states

He should have been shot and then hung for treason.

I love when people call Lincoln a tyrant, because you can always pull out poo poo-head gen. McClennan, and the fact that Lincoln didn't have him murdered is perhaps the greatest piece of restraint from a man in that kind of position of power ever.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Raskolnikov38 posted:

That is so crazy, and as the poster above said, crazy how he didn't get tried for treason. I think it likely had more to do with Lincoln needing to show unity and cooperation rather than infighting at the highest levels rather than Lincoln showing such gentlemanly restraint.

I do find it ironic how people call Lincoln that "evil tyrant". Tyrant opposed to what, the class of people in the South that literally wanted to OWN people as a basis for a state? I'm pretty sure the guy advocating not-that is the less tyrannical.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Well, those people calling Lincoln a tyrant are likely the same ones that call Obama a facist commie and were all for spending any amount of money to bust clinton for his BJ, and the people currently throwing tantrums in office to refuse everything and anything that wasn't proposed by their party

McClellan was a miracle worker in the first years of the army. He turned the whole thing from an armed rabble to an actual army. He was just so damned cautious and couldn't be made to see that richmond wasn't a realistic prize like the other retards that followed till Grant. The only thing that saved Meade from loving up was by the time he got involved most of the defensive positions at Gettysburg were already formed, till Sickles went full retard anyways. All Meade had to do was not move and let Lee beat himself to death against the line.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Jastiger posted:

I do find it ironic how people call Lincoln that "evil tyrant". Tyrant opposed to what, the class of people in the South that literally wanted to OWN people as a basis for a state? I'm pretty sure the guy advocating not-that is the less tyrannical.

generally the reasoning behind it is for suspending habeas corpus when he had john merryman held at ft mchenry. even the supreme court said he was in the wrong, but it's one of those things where the president ultimately has more leeway in practice than the constitution says

also extrajudicial imprisonment's always been a part of who we are so it's frowned upon but it's not like there are any actual repercussions for doing it

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

comes along bort posted:

generally the reasoning behind it is for suspending habeas corpus when he had john merryman held at ft mchenry. even the supreme court said he was in the wrong, but it's one of those things where the president ultimately has more leeway in practice than the constitution says

also extrajudicial imprisonment's always been a part of who we are so it's frowned upon but it's not like there are any actual repercussions for doing it

Ah.

I think its relevant that the same folks that cry TYRANNY are the same ones more than happy to have the Northern states extradite slaves to the South again. poo poo, ever since its inception the South has always wanted special privilege to be assholes whether it be to own people or to pass vote ID laws to force Jesus into legislature. Got drat.

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast
The South is really, really bad. Even today they are a loving drain on the economy as they suck up way more Federal tax money then they give back. They are a major source of the backwater hosed up racist/Jesus poo poo that makes America a laughing stock. They gave us 8 years of a literal retard president in Bush.

The South is the worst loving thing to ever happen to America and I pray every day that Gen. Sherman comes back to us like a way cooler 2nd coming of Christ and cleanses America of its cancer that is the south.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Dead Gay Romans posted:

Let's be honest anyone who kills a bunch of white Southerners is a god drat hero.

Jastiger posted:

poo poo, ever since its inception the South has always wanted special privilege to be assholes whether it be to own people or to pass vote ID laws to force Jesus into legislature. Got drat.

Dead Gay Romans posted:

The South is really, really bad. Even today they are a loving drain on the economy as they suck up way more Federal tax money then they give back. They are a major source of the backwater hosed up racist/Jesus poo poo that makes America a laughing stock. They gave us 8 years of a literal retard president in Bush.

The South is the worst loving thing to ever happen to America and I pray every day that Gen. Sherman comes back to us like a way cooler 2nd coming of Christ and cleanses America of its cancer that is the south.

These chicken-scratch rants contain a shocking amount of hatred.

SocketWrench posted:

McClellan was a miracle worker in the first years of the army. He turned the whole thing from an armed rabble to an actual army. He was just so damned cautious and couldn't be made to see that richmond wasn't a realistic prize like the other retards that followed till Grant. The only thing that saved Meade from loving up was by the time he got involved most of the defensive positions at Gettysburg were already formed, till Sickles went full retard anyways. All Meade had to do was not move and let Lee beat himself to death against the line.

As I recall McClellan did well leading an early campaign into West Virginia, which springboarded him to the command of the Army of the Potomac. He then, as you said, whipped a massive army into shape. Pretty much everything he did after that was marred by the assumption that Lee had way more men than he really did.

If Meade had chased down Lee's army following their flight from Gettysburg, it could have been a total defeat for the Confederacy two years before Appomattox.

My favorite, though, is General Joseph Hooker's famous "...may God have mercy on General Lee, for I will have none." He was subsequently whipped at Chancellorsville.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

LLCoolJD posted:

My favorite, though, is General Joseph Hooker's famous "...may God have mercy on General Lee, for I will have none." He was subsequently whipped at Chancellorsville.

pictured: hooker's merciless treatment of Lee

:laugh:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

LLCoolJD posted:

These chicken-scratch rants contain a shocking amount of hatredtruth.

ftfy

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sherman would never have used nukes since he believed in waging war with minimal loss of life on both sides

:colbert:

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

etalian posted:

Sherman would never have used nukes since he believed in waging war with minimal loss of life on both sides

A proper victory over the South requires it be burnt to the ground.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dead Gay Romans posted:

bush is an even worse creature: a connecticut blueblood pretending to be a retarded texan (a redundancy i know)

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast

LLCoolJD posted:

These chicken-scratch rants contain a shocking amount of hatred.

lovely evil things that make life worse for all mankind deserve hatred.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Gay Romans posted:

lovely evil things that make life worse for all mankind deserve hatred.

Isn't the truth always somewhere in the middle?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

etalian posted:

yeah sherman's army really didn't do that much to the south, there were very few incidents of killings of civilians and in at least once case a union soldier who raped a southern woman was handed over to the local sheriff and hung. they basically just wrecked the infrastructure with a shockingly low body count; put someone like zhukov or wallenstein in charge of his army and georgia still wouldn't exist

basically southerners are pussies

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:rip: Abraham lincoln 150 years today :rip:

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

The War Nerd: The Confederates who should’ve been hanged

Gary Brecher posted:

It’s a tricky question: Which representatives of Southern manhood should have danced in the air, come April 1865?

I think we can all agree, Lost-Cause loons aside, that every Southern officer was a traitor who’d earned the right to dangle. But alas, if you go hanging every single officer of a defeated army, you can very easily end up with a nasty insurgency on your hands. Those men had brothers and cousins, quite a lot of them. In the 19th-century Anglo world, wealthy families had lots of kids, and their brats tended to survive at a higher rate than starved poor kids. Take the ex-Confederates I’m going to talk about here: Jubal Early and Porter Alexander each had nine brothers and sisters, and Nathan Bedford Forrest had 11 siblings. Kill the twenty-something son who served with the Confederacy, and you have to deal with four or five kid brothers swearing revenge.

At the same time, it’s clear that the policy the Union actually pursued—not hanging any Southern officers except the miserable wretch who commanded Andersonville POW camp—failed miserably. A decade after we defeated the Confederacy at the cost of 300,000 loyal Union soldiers’ lives, the same planter oligarchy was running the South again, terrorizing the Freedmen and women who were our only loyal allies during the war, making sure black people never got a chance to vote, running them off their farms, doing their best to recreate slavery without the name.

And it might have been possible to prevent that disaster by hanging key ex-Confederate officers in the spring of 1865. All the leaders of the post-war terrorist fascist gangs that disenfranchised African-Americans in the South were former Confederate officers. If we’d thinned their ranks in an intelligent way, Reconstruction might have been something other than a grotesque and bloody farce.

There are some obvious guidelines for thinning the ranks of a dangerous group:

You don’t kill the top, the figureheads. They’ve got enough name recognition to become martyrs quickly, and they’ve usually passed their peak by the time of their defeat.
You don’t kill incompetents. Keep those incompetents alive as long as possible.
You don’t kill the corrupt. You buy them and use them to turn your former enemies against each other.
You kill the exceptional, the most ruthless, fearless, unkillable leaders in the defeated army. If you don’t kill them now, at their weakest point, you’ll regret it.
I’m not talking about justice here. Justice would have demanded hanging every Confederate with a rank of colonel or higher. But often the higher the rank, the older the man, the more tired and harmless he was by the time of the Surrender. Jefferson Davis, for example; justice says he should have hanged, if not tortured to death, but Davis was such a disaster as a Confederate symbol that he wasn’t one of the more dangerous post-war figures. Better to let losers like Davis live on as buffoons rather than kill them and start the songs and poems going.

No, I’m talking about practical killing. Who were the most dangerous ex-Confederates in 1865? Could they have been identified and killed before they neutralized all the gains of America’s most costly war?

You can assume that in a group as big, as tough, and as dispersed as the Confederate officer corps and its core civilian elite, there will be a huge range of reactions to surrender. Some will commit suicide, like the South Carolina long-haired fanatic Edmund Ruffin did in June, 1865. (He’d planned to do it on April 9, but he had company that day, and as a polite Southern host, he was forced to live on another two months before putting the barrel of a rifle in his mouth.)

Others, like Lee’s very talented artillery officer Porter Alexander, will be drawn to guerrilla warfare.

This will have particular appeal for younger officers, and those (like the buffoon-ish Sterling Price) who are far from the main front and can’t grasp the reasons for the defeat. Price had the brilliant idea of fleeing to Mexico to take service under Emperor Maximillian, soon to be known as “that dark spot on the pockmarked wall.” Price came back to Missouri and died, which was by far the best thing he ever did.

None of these men, or even more effective postwar irregulars/bandits like the James Brothers, ever represented a real threat to the Union victory. That threat came from ex-Confederate officers who were cold-blooded and intelligent enough to bide their time, take advantage of the North’s ridiculous leniency, and form quasi-legal organizations to negate every gain for which those 300,000 soldiers died. These were the men who needed to hang in April 1865.

It’s easy to identify the two ex-Confederate leaders who did the most to ruin the lives of the African-American and poor-white Southerners after the war: Nathan Bedford Forrest in the West, and Wade Hampton in the East. If those two had been hanged in 1865, American history might have gone in a different direction, and frankly, almost any outcome would have been better than the debacle that actually followed the war.

Nathan Bedford Forrest, un-hanged, went on to front for a little group you may have heard of, called the KKK. Wade Hampton, who gets less press but was probably the worse of these two monsters (admittedly, it’s a tough competition) created America’s first homegrown fascist group, the Red Shirts, and used them to terrorize black voters, ensuring his election as South Carolina’s first postwar racist senator in 1876.

And these guys didn’t suddenly turn bad after the war. Both of them were born bad, and had done enough during the war to deserve death by any moral or legal criteria you care to name, from the Code of Hammurabi to Buzzfeed’s “Nine Things You Shouldn’t Do on A First Date.”

Forrest was a slaver and a killer long before the war, but he distinguished himself among the bloody Southern officer corps by his fondness for “No Quarter” orders. “No Quarter” was much more common in the Southwestern theatre of the war than most people realize. The James brothers, Quantrill, Anderson—those guys didn’t come out of nowhere. They were typical of the Southern irregular cavalry, and Forrest was the best, most ruthless leader they had. Forrest didn’t like taking prisoners; he preferred killing them on the spot. And it worked for him, once his rep got around. Many weak commanders surrendered to him rather than face the prospect of being slaughtered if he won.

When he attacked Fort Pillow in April 1864, Forrest encountered a garrison that wouldn’t surrender, and was half African-American. The black troops were from two artillery units, backed up by raw infantry. Forrest’s raiders outnumbered them, 1,500 to 600, and Forrest expected to win easily. He issued one of his standard threats after initial skirmishing, telling the Union commander he and his men had fought well enough to be “entitled” to be treated as POWs if they surrendered, but if Forrest was “forced” to attack, he couldn’t guarantee their safety.

It worked, many times, but it didn’t work on the second-in-command at Fort Pillow, who replied, “I will not surrender.” Forrest’s men overran the fort and killed every black soldier they could find. One of the Confederates who took part in the massacre reported it like this:

“Words cannot describe the scene. The poor deluded negroes would run up to our men fall upon their knees and with uplifted hands scream for mercy but they were ordered to their feet and then shot down. The whitte [sic] men fared but little better. Their fort turned out to be a great slaughter pen.”

After a half hour of slaughter, Forrest resumed command, and sent a proud dispatch boasting that the “river was dyed red” with the blood of the African-American soldiers. Forrest was a master of terror in war, and saw the massacre as a good way to neutralize the growing number of African-American soldiers the Union was recruiting. He wrote, using the modest passive mode, “It is hoped that these facts will demonstrate to the Northern people that negro soldiers cannot cope with Southerners.”

Forrest later realized he might have gone too far for his own safety and started backpedaling. In a less than coincidental incident, Bradford, the Union commander who’d witnessed the whole massacre, was shot “while trying to escape” from Forrest’s men.

So by the time of Lee’s surrender, Nathan Bedford Forrest was guilty of murder several hundred times over. He was kill-able. He was the most eminently kill-able man who ever lived. He deserved death many times over. But he was allowed to return to civilian life, which for him meant becoming the First Grand Wizard of the KKK. And please, don’t go on about how he “later renounced the violence of the Klan.” What Forrest didn’t like about the evolution of the KKK was that he, Forrest, wasn’t in complete command of it, and that he felt its violence was amateurish. He was a pro, and he wanted artistic control over the symbolic violence in which the Klan traded.

Forrest’s survival after the war was a disaster on any level you want; legal, moral, political. Nathan Bedford Forrest should have graced a gallows in the spring of 1865, and that should have been clear at the time to any resolute Union government.

Wade Hampton, the other leading candidate for a spring hanging in the wake of Apomattox, was, if you can believe it, even worse than Forrest. At least Forrest was a self-made monster; Hampton was a rich boy, the son of the South’s leading slave-holder. Hampton’s family owned more than 3,000 human beings, but rich didn’t mean pampered in the planters’ world. Wade Hampton III was not pampered. His hobby was hunting bears. With a knife. None of these guys were pampered. In fact, you feel a lot fonder of pampered, soft people after reading about these monsters.

Like a lot of tough kids, Wade Hampton III had something to prove. His grandfather, the original Wade Hampton, was the commanding American officer at the Battle of the Chateauguay in 1813, against a small, hastily assembled force of Mohawk Indians and Canadian militia. You don’t hear much about that fight in America, just as you don’t hear much about the Battle of Patay in Britain. If there’s one thing us Anglos are good at, it’s burying our humiliations. Chateauguay was a complete humiliation, with an American force routed by a mixed militia half its size, then lost in the woods by Wade’s grandfather.

By the time the Civil War started, Wade Hampton III was 42 years old, with no military experience. But he was a mean bastard, he knew how to ride and kill, he was willing to use his own money to raise his own “legion,” and he rose fast. In fact, one of the best ways to identify candidates for hanging is to look at fast risers.

In the whole Confederate army, only two men who started with no previous military experience rose to the rank of Lt. General: Wade Hampton III and Nathan Bedford Forrest. That’s a good noose-fitting device right there.

And if you’re looking for good legal cause to hang ol’ Wade, you won’t have much work to find it. Hampton talked his head off to Sherman’s officers, late in the war, as they arranged the surrender of Johnston’s forces, and his main theme, as recorded in multiple Union officers’ memoirs, is shooting deserters and “recruiting” new troops at gunpoint. Military life, for Hampton and many another Confederate officer in the last year of the war, consisted of rounding up deserters, shooting every one who didn’t seem useful, and re-enlisting the rest by holding a pistol at their head until they sang “Dixie” in the proper key. There’s no knowing how many Union men Hampton killed, but he boasted about killing dozens of reluctant Confederates.

Hampton survived the war, alas, in the same state of mind of most of the planters: not having learned a damned thing except to hate Yankees, African-Americans, and anyone else who failed to genuflect to the Lost Cause myth that his buddy Jubal Early was peddling—the South’s version of the ol’ “stabbed in the back” myth so popular with certain Teutonic parties of the 1920s and 30s.

As the North lost the will to enforce basic human rights for African-Americans and white dissidents across the South, Hampton made his move to regain control of South Carolina for the planter elite. He borrowed an honorable symbol, the “Red Shirts” of Garibaldi’s insurgents, and made the red shirt the mark of his own racist militia. The South Carolina version of the Red Shirts murdered African-American leaders (150 of them during the 1876 Senate election, by one account) terrorized black voters and white Republicans (yeah, the Republicans were the good guys in those days) from voting, and indulged in any private violence that happened to interest its members. The 1876 election, with Hampton vs. a Reconstructionist, was a bloody draw, but Hampton’s fascists wanted it more and he eventually simply took power. He never looked back, and neither did South Carolina. Any threat of a new South, where something other than class or money might determine your chance in life, was wiped out for a century.

An outcome like that is worth preventing. If a few hangings had interrupted the premature love-fest between (white) North and (white) South in 1865, that outcome might have been avoided. And it would not have been difficult to identify the Confederate leaders most likely to organize treasonous groups like the Red Shirts and KKK. Both were led by civilians who rose quickly through the ranks, ending up as Lt. Generals—the only two men to follow that trajectory in the whole huge Confederate army. Both these leaders, Forrest and Hampton, were notable for their efficiency and extreme brutality throughout the war. Both were relatively young. Both were unrepentant racists and secessionists. For all these reasons, they were all obvious candidates for the top spots on a gallows list.

Granted, it might not have been possible to isolate their names among other brutal, successful, young, civilian-origin leaders. But there’s a simple solution for that problem: Hang every drat traitor who fit that bill.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

TEAYCHES posted:

should have debaathified the south

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

StashAugustine posted:

should have debaathified the south

nah he explains really well that you keep everyone below colonel and even then only execute the ambitious guys who rose through the ranks fast.. a good comparison would be if we had kept the iraqi army but had done even the smallest amount of intelligence work on how the baath party actually worked and just shot the competent ones

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Harald posted:

Tomorrow, technically. :colbert:

All you John Wilkes Booth fans should party like motherfuckers tonight, though.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

TEAYCHES posted:

Brecher spittin' some loving truth up in this thread.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Haha, yeah. Good job not ditching the southern states when you had the chance, r-tards.

Keep patting yourselves on the back all the way to global extinction.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Ork of Fiction posted:

Haha, yeah. Good job not ditching the southern states when you had the chance, r-tards.

Keep patting yourselves on the back all the way to global extinction.

Yeah, having a hostile, expansionist, white supremacist slave state occupying our southern border would be real great.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

sherman's only mistake was not going far enough

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah, having a hostile, expansionist, white supremacist slave state occupying our southern border would be real great.

No loving poo poo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_of_the_Golden_Circle

The Civil War wasn't about preserving slavery in the South for the South, even, it was about conquering South America and spreading it there. Slavery was not ever and never would have been a "live and let live" proposition

Ork, are you a limey? I guess I would expect that kind of talk from the CSA's most sympathetic ear in world politics

ANIME IS BLOOD fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 15, 2015

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TEAYCHES posted:

Dang this is super interesting!

There is a mockumentary called the Confederate States of America. It goes off on some tangents about how racist the South was, and some of the silly hijinx they get into. But one part of it really did stick out to me, and that was their alliance with the axis powers and the expansion of slavery to Cuba and South America. Those were very real propositions that were closer to the mark than they let on. It also had them invading other areas to establish colonies and slave states but they fail because the South was so hosed up and unable to hold onto anything due to the whole slavery and evil empire thing.

Still, a winning South that was expansionist would leave the world a very different and much worse place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Harald posted:

Saw a review for Ford's Theater today by A. Lincoln. One star. "was murdered here, cannot recommend"

• Locked thread