Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Sakurazuka posted:

This anime is good but the comedy in the title is often a lie.
Yup, with this second episode, yahari S2 can truly begin now! :smith:

Oddly fitting too, as apparently we'll get new OP animation next episode, probably to fit in the new girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Sakurazuka posted:

It wasn't exactly about self sacrifice, more about thinking of others because Yui is in love with him and Yukino knows (and is maybe in love with him as well) and he half knows and did it anyway possibly knowing that hearing him say that to someone else, even if he didn't mean it, it would hurt her, maybe even because he could say it so easily and not mean it.
I've been thinking for months that Yui was planning to confess on the Kyoto trip as a parallel to the situation with Tobe confessing to Ebina but I'm backing off that for now. Yui definitely wanted to get closer to Hikki on this trip and was horrified to find out that he wouldn't change, that he would still take actions as if no one cared about him. Yui becomes upset because Hikki treats his relationship with her as superficially as the popular clique that he was requested to protect. As for Yukino, it's not love (yet) and I think based on the source material, her reasons for her anger should be elaborated upon in the next episode.

quote:

I'm still not sure what exactly is going on with glasses girl though.
I think it's as Miura said: Ebina keeps her distance because she's afraid of letting someone get close enough to her in case they realize how rotten she thinks she is. Ebina hates herself for being unable to get closer to her friends because she values her place in the clique too much to go forward.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

The_Frag_Man posted:

E: Does anyone know how much source material there is / how much is left?
It's up to volume 10 now (there are also *.5 volumes that are just sidestories) with the latest episode finishing volume 7. Truthfully, I want them to slow it down and finish the season with volume 9 as 10 starts a new arc.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

nielsm posted:

Okay so they did skip a bunch of book material between S1 and S2 of the anime?
Nope, Volume 6 covered the festival and Volume 7 made up the first two eps of S2.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Well, that scene in the donut shop managed to be awkward as hell. Eguchi really nailed the voice acting there.
Voicing two of the best MCs this season.

Also, 8man got his rear end whupped this episode, oh my god.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

This makes me wonder how far the second season will go. I mean, as far as I know there are like... 10 or 11 volumes currently out? And volume 6.5 or whatever.
It came to light today that Volume 11 would be released in June, about when the season would end. So, they could adapt Volume 10 (which ends on a kind of cliffhanger) and then point to Volume 11 to make people want to see what happens next.

Personally, I really, really want the season to end on Volume 9 + 6.5 Bonus Track, it'd be much more satisfying that way.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
TBS has been burned too often on simulcasts ergo the delay.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Triggerhappypilot posted:

It's still Aoi Yuuki, but the change of studio and director probably means that she got told to tone down the hyperactive.
Scene in the previous ep was her usual hyperactive self, scene this ep was more serious, so she did a more serious voice.

Coaaab fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 17, 2015

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Those piano pieces in the background have been doing an excellent job of setting the tone, with the cover of the S1 ED for that sunset scene being a particular highlight.

The_Frag_Man posted:

That was Yukino's big sister right? She's scary.
She is terrifying.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

The_Frag_Man posted:

I really liked the scene where Yui moved her chair over
Cute girl leans against him and rubs his hair, pushes her away with his hands

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Sakurazuka posted:

Which is exactly what he would do?
Yes, but I still find it amusing.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Myriad Truths posted:

I don't know if it's just Studio Feel I have to thank for this, or also an uptick in the quality of the source material, but this season is miles better than the first one (which I already really liked!). Some great scenes in this episode. I'm still not sure I 'get' Yukino, but I hope she gets over whatever it is soon.
Most of the subtle physical gestures the characters act out are straight out of the LNs, but Feel is definitely putting a lot of care and attention into the character animations and direction. It's not Hyouka-level (what is), but it's definitely built on a similar ethos. Also, Volume 8 (which just ended) and Volume 9 (which starts next week) are widely regarded to be the best in the series.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Okay, I feel like posting Hachiman's LN monologue at the beginning and end of this arc:

SNAFU Volume 8 Prologue & Epilogue posted:

“What if?”

This is a “what if?” scenario.

What if life was like a game where you could load up a save file and go back to a point where you could alter your choice? Would your life change in any way?

The answer is a resounding no.

Only those who were blessed with choices would benefit. To those who never had those choices in the first place, that hypothetical scenario was meaningless.

As such, there would be no regrets. More accurately, it was life itself that was the epitome of regrets.

That’s how it was.

There was also the “little too late” scenario. Once you got started on “what if” scenarios, you wouldn’t see the end of it. Nothing would change regardless of the answer you gave. The moment you had settled on a decision, it was already too late to take it back.

Ifs, parallels, and loops were constructs that didn’t exist in this world. In short, the scenarios in life were all linear. Preaching for possibilities was nothing but a futile effort.

I was fully aware of how wrong I was. The world, however, was a bigger perpetrator than I was.

It was ridden with wars, poverty, discrimination and a bunch of other things. Job hunting could easily go unrewarded with absolutely no offers. Even part time jobs took your pocket change as collateral damage, particularly in the cases where you had to cover the missing amount from your own pocket when you had to do a money count.

So where exactly did this world’s truth exist? A truth defined by the wrongdoings of this world couldn’t be called a truth at all.

On the other hand, the truth may very well be in the form of all that was wrong in that world instead.

But, was there any meaning in trying to prolong something that was bound to end?

Eventually, you’ll lose everything. This was an absolute truth.

But still, even so.

The eventual loss of everything had beauty to it.

The eventual end of everything had meaning to it. Even things like temporary repose, a combination of stagnation and uncertainty in life, would eventually be something you couldn’t deal with anymore.

Coming to terms with these truths was what you should be doing.

One day, sure enough, you’ll look back on the things you had lost as if they were treasures you had come to adore and as if they were similar to the happiness of drinking sake by yourself.

× × ×

“What if?”

This is a “what if?” scenario.

What if life was like a game where you could load up a save file and go back to a point where you could alter your choice? Would your life change in any way?

The answer is a resounding no.

Only those who were blessed with choices would benefit. To those who never had those choices in the first place, that hypothetical scenario was meaningless.

As such, there would be no regrets. More accurately, it was life itself that was the epitome of regrets.

Now then, there was something I thought I really wanted to protect, but what exactly was it?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Einander posted:

Books 1-6 cut a lot in the anime adaptation, but most of it is fluff with the secondary characters. 7-8 have had some actually important monologue sections cut out. For example, Hikigaya reacts the way he does to Hayama's "you help people because you just want someone to help you, right?" because he thought Hayama understood him and he's incredibly pissed that Hayama got it so wrong.

It's a good mirror to the end of this episode.
Sort of OT, are you the same Einander that edited Frog-kun's translations of the series? If you are, I'd just like to say that you both did good work.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
To the contrary, I believe we as a community require an innovative flash idea in order to ascertain a consensus and develop organic growth as it points us towards the goal of synergistic output.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

paragon1 posted:

Okay, so the other school they have to work with is a bunch of business school ideas guys who make their group do all the work, their President just kind of rolls over and accepts everything, and they have no confidence or trust in their President to actually address their concerns so they never bring it up. Furthermore, the President is actually clever and aware enough to know all this, but is trapped by the persona she has built around herself to get people to like her which prevents her from actually doing anything effective.

Yeah this student council is screwed, good job Hachiman.
There's also the whole 'respect your elders' social nicety that makes it even harder for Iroha since she's younger than everyone else there.

And yes, 8man really hosed himself over with the StudCo President solution.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Poil posted:

Is Iroha even aware that she's being saddled with ALL of the work and responsibilities? Everyone else seem to be.

I... don't like this plotline at all. It's just a bunch of pretentious assholes and a, seemingly, very predictable outcome.
What do you mean by predictable?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Poil posted:

What was up with the excessive blue lights in the park? Looked awful. Took a lot of my focus away from the kinda important scene.
I guess it's the kind of Christmas lighting Japan uses? Or maybe it's meant to contrast with the orange sunset scenes with Yui, I really wasn't distracted by it.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Caithness posted:

I found this episode quite frustrating. It kept looking like there was about to be a breakthrough, but it just never happened.
So, the raw is out, and I can only compare scenes corresponding to the moments in the fan-translated LN cause I don't know Japanese, but you're gonna get your genuine wish.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Been waiting for a year to see that central scene animated, and Feel did not disappoint.

Though I must say, Yui's despair at the end of this clip just cracks me up every time.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
The title, description, and the fact that it's based off an ongoing LN are the initial factors that make the show unable to separate itself from the hundreds of other anime school shows out there; it doesn't even mind indulging in those generic harem elements sometimes. For this kind of series to stand out, it has to have strong plotting, writing, & characters, and SNAFU has all that, but I imagine it would still be difficult to explain why the show isn't so white-bread to a stranger interested in a recommendation, so the series feels perpetually underrated to me.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

krnhotwings posted:

Pardon me if this has already been explained for the billionth time, but is there any reason why Yukino couldn't just tell her friends that she wanted to run for president?
Because she's an introvert and possesses a more cloistered personality than even Hachiman. Of the main trio, she has opened up the least regarding her personal life. I think it's telling that when Yui wanted to discuss the student council election, she turns to Hachiman first instead of directly confronting Yukino, probably because she's afraid that Yukino will shut herself away for good if she pried too deeply. (Of course, there's the caveat of not being privy to Yui and Yukino's personal conversations because we're locked into Hachiman's POV.)

Besides, even if she did tell them of her desire to run for president, Hachiman and even Yui would still try to dig deeper for a so-called 'real reason' until they had an answer than only satisfied them because they had assumed they understood Yukino when it wasn't the case at all.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Einander posted:

The next light novel volume (released just as this season of the anime ends) takes place around Valentine's Day, so I can only imagine what kind of trainwreck is incoming on that end.
The synopsis sounds interesting and there's even tentative cover art:

:v:

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Yukino purchasing that ride photo was 2cute4me :3:

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

MrAptronym posted:

Is the transition towards less fan service just an anime thing, or is it like this in the LN too? (I have been pleased by this.)
The LN was just as dour, perhaps even more so since there were more monologues of Hachiman beating himself up over constantly getting it wrong. Of course, to appease both camps, there's also the *.5 volumes that cover the lighter moments of the Service Club (the latest one is an Iroha showcase).

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

MrAptronym posted:

I feel like there was a little too much going on in this episode for me, it felt rushed and I even lost track of time a bit with all the time skips. I liked each scene quite a bit, it just felt like this could have been three episodes paced the way the season has been so far. Resolving the arc in the middle third of the episode was kind of strange. I expected more on them hashing out plans and working on the event itself, though I guess it does make sense that they were really just resolving the planning committee issues. The inclusion of the shrine visit, shopping with Yui and meeting in the tea shop felt squeezed though. I assume this was done to get through the next arc by the end of the season, but the result was probably my least favorite episode of the season.

As you said Hachiman is working overtime building these social links. None of the girls are slouching either. His poor sister is putting up with a lot too, her points must be through the roof!
Feel essentially adapted the last 2.5 chapters of Volume 9 before the commercial break and the first 2 chapters of Volume 10 after it. I guess they wanted to push through because episode 13 is gonna be some separate thing while the next two episodes will probably close out this arc. I, too, would've liked for this episode to end with the teacup scene and then the next three episodes cover the Hayama arc.

The PV at the end also has quite relevant material from the LN. In the novel, they're the disembodied inner thoughts of unspecified characters (who are probably not Hachiman) laid out in memorandum form a la No Longer Human.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

krnhotwings posted:

LN spoilers:

There's a more than likely probability that Hayama likes (or still likes?) Yukino. He knows that Yukino likes Hachiman and is quite jealous of him and upset at himself:

"I absolutely can't stand it when I feel inferior to you. That's why I want you to be my equal. That's why I want to raise you up high, and that just might be it, all so I can accept the things I lose to you in."

It could be that Hayama is upset at himself because, despite who Hachiman is and his ways, Hachiman brings results whereas Hayama doesn't. It's apparent to Hayama that Hachiman changes those around him for the better. Also, I think Hayama was on the verge of crying during the marathon, but I think I'll bring that up later...
More LN spoilers: If Hayama did like Yukino, I don't get why he would dispel the rumor for Hachiman's sake and still give hope for Miura. That'd make Hayama a bigger dick than what I would be willing to expect from him.

I do think the marathon scene is a major turning point for Hachiman and Hayato's relationship. In the proceeding chapters (and that little bit in 10.5), Hayama feels he doesn't have to put up his nice guy facade around Hikigaya so much and even engages in some minor Yukino-esque bantering. Deep down, I think they've both accepted that they'll never be able to get along, but the kind of security of knowing that the other guy has that level of understanding of your inner self is refreshing to them in a way.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

krnhotwings posted:

Well, gently caress.. That turned out to be a bit of an overestimate. :v: Not sure what the gently caress they're gonna do for the last episodes...
Kyakka posted the synopses for eps 12 & 13, and it seems to cover events in Volume 11 (release now delayed from June 18 to June 24).

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
For the record, here's a sampling of recent internal thoughts Hachiman has had of each girl:

Yui:

Volume 10, Chapter 2 posted:

As she was rummaging through those shelves, she raised her voice with an “Ah”. “So cute! This might be really fun if I use this to play with Sabure,” said Yuigahama, and she grabbed a mitten that was modeled after the paws of a cat. Then, she had another mitten modeling a dog’s face. The mitten imitating a cat’s paw was exactly how they looked. On the other hand, the mitten with the dog face had the face on the back of the mittens including ears, and at the thumb side was a lower jaw. Yuigahama put them on and shook her hand.

“It’s kinda hard to hold stuff with these…”

“That’s just how mittens are.”

Yuigahama, groaning as she was thinking, lifted her face in light of something and popped opened her gripped hands. “Take this! Nom!” She then bit my hand with her dog mitten. “…H-How dare you,” I said, trying to play it off. Then, Yuigahama’s face became flushed red. If you’re going to get embarrassed, please don’t do it next time. I’m embarrassed, too. I gently slipped my hand away from the grasp of the mitten and fanned myself with that hand. The heating in this store was working way too well.
Yukino:

Volume 10, Chapter 7 posted:

Yukinoshita breathed out in satisfaction and lifted her face. When she did, Yukinoshita’s face, which had been stooping over, became so close to mine to the point we were almost touching.

“……”

Both of us were locked stiff in that position. Her exposed skin that was as white as a blanket of snow. Her wet, damp black pupils. Her long eyelashes that momentarily shook with a blink. The finely shaped bridge of her nose. The smiling shape of her mouth along with the escaping of breaths. When Yukinoshita’s thin shoulders quivered, her long, glossy hair flowed.

I frantically looked up at the ceiling, fell backwards with my body, and made some distance. Somewhere in that moment, I felt a sting from my injury.
Iroha:

Volume 10.5, Chapter 2 posted:

Isshiki took a step towards me as if purposely confirming that and faced me. In taking a step back to open up our distance, Isshiki would raise her eyebrow and close that step again. Apparently, she was telling me to stay still. I slightly leaned backwards and Isshiki looked up at me. And with breaths spilling out through her smiling lips, she weaved her words. “Oh, that’s true. Your height’s much closer than before.” Due to the close proximity of our faces compared to normal, I instinctively swallowed my breath when I noticed her glossy, smiling lips. As I stood there unable to say anything, even Isshiki was bewildered by our close distance and looked away with slightly red cheeks. Then, she looked at me timidly and acted shy to play it off. “…Well, I guess you can just rent some shoes then.” I averted my eyes from Isshiki and took a step towards the bowling alley. Isshiki let out a short reply in affirmation and followed me from behind. Jeez, just how sly can this junior of mine be…? But along with that slyness of hers, Isshiki was more or less cute, so that made it even worse. Because truthfully, she had a cute face. Her gestures were sly, but cute. Her personality… well, there were plenty of issues with it, but the way she’d act sly and innocent could be considered cute.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Yui and Saika are too good for Hikigaya, and I'd feel sorry for them if it got that far.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I wonder if they have the stones to end with Yui in the anime, while end with Yukino in the LN, where she is more popular.

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

and the voice of chiho from devil is a part timer
So a born loser then.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Angry Grimace posted:

Yui likes Hachiman for the same reason Yukino and Iroha like him. Because they think he's deep.

Its not entirely unrealistic, I've met many girls who actively like somewhat abrasive dudes with no filter.
Yukino is probably more abrasive and socially awkward than Hachiman, while Iroha has as rotten a personality as him.

Yui's a nice girl that deserves a nice guy.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

krnhotwings posted:

I'm not quite sure why Yui likes Hachiman in the first place. Is it just 'cause he saved her dog? Otherwise, I guess Yui's an internally weird girl who likes a weird guy, which is all fine and dandy.
I think the following passage from the LN that focuses on Tobe's crush on Ebina could also apply broadly to Yui's crush on Hikki:

Volume 7, Chapter 3 posted:

“Ebina too, she has somethin’ like that too. Sometimes, I like, get quick glances at her and it’s like, she isn’t what she looks like or so? That is totally cool. Aah, I’m soo gross for saying this embarrassing stuff!”

As if trying to brush it off, Tobe fluttered the hair on the back of his head. Thanks for happily explaining things that I’m not listening to. Stop laughing refreshingly while twirling your long hair. Cut your hair. But… how should I put it, he’s actually watching Ebina quite closely, this guy is. I’m a man who went through life through just observation for a long time. That’s why I’ve, more or less, noticed that Ebina wasn’t just your run-of-the-mill cute girl from her appearance alone. Even she has something she’s hiding deep down. Tobe may not have fully understood that core issue, but having observed and sympathized with Ebina, he may have a clue about it. And just like that, it began to poke at the back of his mind. Before he knew it, his eyes naturally began following her around and finally, he learned of a new side of her and his heart grew hot. That was the obvious development for anyone.

krnhotwings posted:

Probably not. I see this heading toward a White Album 2-esque ending where Yukino is Kazusa and Yui is Setsuna.
I wonder if Watari is a fan

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Poil posted:

Yikes, I didn't realize that at all. :catstare:

So... we'll get a scene at the end like that too?
I doubt it, I mainly posted it as a joke.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

chumbler posted:

I'd bet Haruno probably doesn't really have any alternatives what with how hosed up that family situation seems to be. I kinda get the feeling she's more alone than anyone else. Though I could be wrong and someone who has actually read the books will correct me.
The anime didn't really delve into the brief glimpses of her mind like in the LN, but in short, it is as you say.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

Yui singing the ending song all alone...
Yukino had that earlier in the season, and then the very next episode was the big breakthrough moment. Therefore...

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Space Flower posted:

Therefore this will be the opposite.
Please don't bully Yui.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Ha ha, this season finale is primed to tick so many people off.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
That was a beautiful episode about the Service Club's growing pains and how far they've come, ending with the reaffirmation of their bonds despite the certainty of wounded feelings in the near future. Just aces all around.

And now the wait begins Took two seasons, but now we finally know who best girl is:

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
His enthusiasm for penguins and hammerhead sharks cracked me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

chumbler posted:

Get that harem ending, Yui. I believe in you.
She deserves it.

• Locked thread