Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Roommate constantly bitches about me never turning off my computer. (never mind the fact that he almost never pays his bills on time) So what would be a rough estimate of power usage for a computer with a 750w PSU with a standard MMO running in the background.

i5 processor
2 HDD
1 Ti560 GTX (if any of this matters)

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Figure probably 250W when a game is running on-screen, around 100W at idle depending on your CPU, BIOS settings, and power supply efficiency. If we assume your computer is on 24 hours a day and you are a sperglord who games 12 hours a day, that's an average of .175KW * 24 hours * 30 days = 126 kilowatt-hours per month. At $.13 per kWh, that's $16.38 a month.

Your computer uses basically no power while asleep, so if you set it to just go to sleep when you are not actively using it that will save most of your money if you do things like go to school/work and sleep. You can also enable power saving settings in the BIOS and in Windows, and if your power supply is less than 80+ Bronze efficient, replacing it with an 80+ Platinum model will pay for itself eventually. At 80+ Bronze or better an upgrade doesn't really make sense unless you have air conditioning (since you also pay to remove the heat generated). A new videocard would also use a less power, especially at idle.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 11, 2015

AwfulErnie
Mar 4, 2015
Go pickup one of these devices and it will tell you exactly how much you are using
http://www.homedepot.com/p/P3-International-Kill-A-Watt-EZ-Meter-P4460/202196388

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

AwfulErnie posted:

Go pickup one of these devices and it will tell you exactly how much you are using
http://www.homedepot.com/p/P3-International-Kill-A-Watt-EZ-Meter-P4460/202196388
I've read in a number of places that the cheap Kill-A-Watt meters don't work well for modern electronics because they give inaccurate readings on power supplies with Active Power Factor Correction, which is nearly anything. They seem to only be accurate to within 20% or so, which seems worse than an educated guess.

• Locked thread