Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irrational Bees
Nov 2, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm really disappointed, but some of the sets still look practical.

The new

The old

Its so loving bummed, like, why not just make a new IP if your going to change the only thing anyone cares about the series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin
Cheaper and easier.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
no idea what any of this poo poo is, no desire to learn

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
That ... that actually looks better than I'd have expected.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
It's the 21st century, OP.

What I want to know is why they're all sexy Scandis.

Kmlkmljkl
Sep 21, 2014

AT NIGHT I GET SO LONELY I JERK IT FURIOUSLY TO THE SIMS

PoPcornTG posted:

Cheaper and easier.

killing yourself is cheap and easy but that doesnt mean its the right thing to do

Irrational Bees
Nov 2, 2013

by Lowtax

HJB posted:

It's the 21st century, OP.

What I want to know is why they're all sexy Scandis.

Some of the characters have returned from the previous series with completely different accents, its pretty weird.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

it's like two different circles of hell

Irrational Bees
Nov 2, 2013

by Lowtax

Wall Balls posted:

it's like two different circles of hell

Idk man, puppets look pretty loving cool

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Irrational Bees posted:

Idk man, puppets look pretty loving cool

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

because modern media is crapola, op.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Because all the cool puppeteering/animatronic knowhow died on the altar of computers.

Irrational Bees
Nov 2, 2013

by Lowtax

opus111 posted:

because modern media is crapola, op.

Hmm, True true. But still, I feel like the audiance they're aiming for doesnt give a gently caress about the thunder-birds IP and it probably would have just been cheaper for them to come up with their own.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

captain scarlet was dark as fuk

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
It's easier to use an old IP if you have the rights to it than to build up a new one.

They're using CGI because that's what's available. When they first made the series they used puppets because that's what was available.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Pound_Coin posted:

captain scarlet was dark as fuk

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

team america world police was the high point of puppet based moving pictures c/d

Irrational Bees
Nov 2, 2013

by Lowtax

burritolingus posted:

It's easier to use an old IP if you have the rights to it than to build up a new one.

They're using CGI because that's what's available. When they first made the series they used puppets because that's what was available.

Well... So were real actors.. ya know, Im pretty sure they had real actors, and lovely sets back then, so they could have just forgone the puppets entirely. I think it was a clear aesthetic choice. Or maybe budget, I don't honestly know how expensive puppetiering is in comparison to live actors.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

There is literally nothing less worth giving a gently caress about. Thunderbirds? I dub them Thunderfags, their rumbling, undulating beastly thighs slapping together in the roiling rhythm of summer waves on the Australian shoreline. Stupid poo poo. Look like hosed up fecal alcohol uncanny valley syndrome retards.
Who lives under the ocean anyway? loving gay rear end crabs and lobsters, known as the loving homos of the sea.
God drat dookie headed show for inbred fuckfathers.

Irrational Bees
Nov 2, 2013

by Lowtax

blowfish posted:

team america world police was the high point of puppet based moving pictures c/d

It definitely had some good puppet work in it (or at times really bad, for the purpose of comedy) , for sure. I haven't seen it in a long time, so I cant remember if it was actually funny or not

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
I dunno, I loved the old one when I was a kid but children now probably wouldn't put up with how hokey and weird it all was with the puppets. Like when a puppet would awkwardly waddle over to a bomb and slap at it with paddle-hands, then there'd be a sudden transition to a guy's actual hands defusing a life-size bomb prop. Kids would look at that and be like what the gently caress is happening in the age of DVDs and compact discs and discmans and pokemon

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
what's with all of the puppets looking somewhat realistic, but then you have that one fishfaced butler on the left there? do people treat him as an ugly mutant in the show or are they too polite to bring it up?

Irrational Bees
Nov 2, 2013

by Lowtax

LordArgh posted:

what's with all of the puppets looking somewhat realistic, but then you have that one fishfaced butler on the left there? do people treat him as an ugly mutant in the show or are they too polite to bring it up?

Hes just supposed to be like the British Butler type guy. Im pretty sure Rowan Atkinson made it his life goal to look as much like that character as possible.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Crewmine posted:

I dunno, I loved the old one when I was a kid but children now probably wouldn't put up with how hokey and weird it all was with the puppets. Like when a puppet would awkwardly waddle over to a bomb and slap at it with paddle-hands, then there'd be a sudden transition to a guy's actual hands defusing a life-size bomb prop. Kids would look at that and be like what the gently caress is happening in the age of DVDs and compact discs and discmans and pokemon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTQI_XjoSSY

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
why are they all white

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

LordArgh posted:

what do you think the butler in archer is based on?!

Irrational Bees
Nov 2, 2013

by Lowtax

Gaunab posted:

why are they all white

Because it came out in the 1960's

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Gaunab posted:

why are they all white

lmao go play with your apple emjois, fagface.

F.A.G!

Irrational Bees
Nov 2, 2013

by Lowtax
It is nice they kept the practical sets though, they still look really loving good

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

opus111 posted:

lmao go play with your apple emjois, fagface.

F.A.G!

it is the f.a.g. way

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Irrational Bees posted:

Well... So were real actors.. ya know, Im pretty sure they had real actors, and lovely sets back then, so they could have just forgone the puppets entirely. I think it was a clear aesthetic choice. Or maybe budget, I don't honestly know how expensive puppetiering is in comparison to live actors.

Thunderbirds contained tons of special effects, like car chases and explosions, which would have been way more expensive to do with live actors at the time.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Way to be racially inclusive.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Flesh Forge posted:

That ... that actually looks better than I'd have expected.

I'd like to know what you expected. Picture in the op looks like garbage-tier telecom-commercial from the 90s.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

midnightclimax posted:

I'd like to know what you expected. Picture in the op looks like garbage-tier telecom-commercial from the 90s.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Life is a lie. There is no meaning. Stop caring about things. Thunderbirds/cats is stupid.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Here's a sneak peak at the villain of the new movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEaKX9YYHiQ

HollywoodDialysis
Jan 19, 2005

not doing nothing
Grimey Drawer

No. 6 posted:

Way to be racially inclusive.

They're brothers.

No like, actual brothers.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer