Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Problem description: My newly built pc started bluescreening when windows was loading. Now it will only boot to BIOS. If I save and exit in BIOS it just restarts and opens BIOS again. If I try to force it to boot the SSD with windows it just boots BIOS again also. The only way I can get into windows is to force BIOS to boot Boot Manager, makes makes windows boot instantly and work flawlessly. Until I restart again and have to boot windows through the bios boot manager. Disk Manager looks like this:
Sorry for Swedish windows, but the biggest partition on C: is System Boot, Swap, Crash Dump, Primary Partition.

Attempted fixes: Though it could be something with IDE/AHCI/RAID or something, but it still won't boot in IDE. The boot order in BIOS has my windows SSD first but it still won't even try to boot it.

Recent changes: Have you made any changes to your system/configuration recently that might have caused the problem?

--

Operating system: Windows 8.1

System specs: Chassi: Fractal Design Define R5
MB: ASUS Z97-A ATX
CPU: i5 4690K
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming
PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W
RAM: Corsair Vengance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB
SSD: Samsung EVO 850 250GB
HDD: 1TB WD Green

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib
For this, you'll need a Command Prompt that is running as Administrator.

Find the Command Prompt in the Windows 8 Start screen, *right-click* it and select "Run as Administrator".
Then type:
code:
bcdedit /enum firmware
and press Enter.

You should see something similar to this: (the GUID values will most likely be different, but the structure should be essentially the same)
code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /enum firmware

Firmware Boot Manager
---------------------
identifier              {fwbootmgr}
displayorder            {bootmgr}
                        {9c0dc969-b814-11e4-826e-806e6f6e6963}
                        {9c0dc966-b814-11e4-826e-806e6f6e6963}

timeout                 0

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier              {bootmgr}
device                  partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume1
path                    \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi
description             Windows Boot Manager
locale                  sv-SE
inherit                 {globalsettings}
integrityservices       Enable
isolatedcontext         Yes
default                 {current}
resumeobject            {2583ea21-b7c9-11e4-a178-00a0b0aebbcd}
displayorder            {current}
toolsdisplayorder       {memdiag}
timeout                 30

Firmware Application (101fffff)
-------------------------------
identifier              {9c0dc966-b814-11e4-826e-806e6f6e6963}
description             EFI USB Device

identifier              {9c0dc969-b814-11e4-826e-806e6f6e6963}
device                  partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume1
path                    \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi

C:\Windows\system32>
The important thing is, the "Firmware Boot Manager" section should have "{bootmgr}" as the first item, and there should be a matching "Windows Boot Manager" section with identifier = {bootmgr}.

I'm guessing that these settings may have been corrupted on your system for some reason.

Please post your "bcdedit /enum firmware" output, and we'll see how to go from there.

It might be that just going to the BIOS settings and confirming two things is enough to fix it:
1.) the system is booting in UEFI mode (either exclusively or in preference over the legacy mode)
2.) the SSD is actually selected as the current UEFI boot disk

If the ASUS UEFI BIOS symbology is still the same as I remember it, the boot disk icon should have a blue UEFI marker across its top left corner. Or if you are in the "Advanced Mode" BIOS menus, you should select the boot item whose description includes "Windows Boot Manager" or similar: selecting just the plain C: drive (or whatever your SSD is) selects the legacy MBR boot style... and as your SSD has only the UEFI-style bootloader on it, the boot attempt will fail and you'll end up in the BIOS unless other bootable devices are available.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Thanks a lot for taking the time!

code:
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. Med ensamrätt.

Firmware Boot Manager
---------------------
displayorder            {1b4406ca-e09c-11e4-825c-806e6f6e6963}
                        {bootmgr}
timeout                 1

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
device                  partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume2
path                    \EFI\MICROSOFT\BOOT\BOOTMGFW.EFI
resumeobject            {4b4c974d-de8f-11e4-ae41-b312d2744779}
displaybootmenu         No

identifier              {1b4406ca-e09c-11e4-825c-806e6f6e6963}
description             Hard Drive
Don't know what I did, but I had installed a program called EasyBCD trying to change boot order. I messed around in bios and stuff and suddenly it booted to a screen where I could select what to boot. Just like when I had ubuntu on my old computer. I just set the SSD to default in EasyBCD and diabled the boot screen and now it boots into windows.

Could this give me more problems in the future or is it solved?

Going to reboot and check the icons in bios.

Edit: I'm apparently stupid, found a second entry for my SSD in the advanced version of the boot order, except it had Boot Manager written in front of it. Changed that to first boot priority and now it boots windows directly and looks like it should I think.

code:
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. Med ensamrätt.

Firmware Boot Manager
---------------------
displayorder            {bootmgr}
                        {1b4406ca-e09c-11e4-825c-806e6f6e6963}
timeout                 1

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
device                  partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume2
path                    \EFI\MICROSOFT\BOOT\BOOTMGFW.EFI
resumeobject            {4b4c974d-de8f-11e4-ae41-b312d2744779}
                        {1b4406ca-e09c-11e4-825c-806e6f6e6963}
displaybootmenu         No

identifier              {1b4406ca-e09c-11e4-825c-806e6f6e6963}
description             Hard Drive

C:\Windows\system32>

Sistergodiva fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 12, 2015

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

Sistergodiva posted:

Thanks a lot for taking the time!

Don't know what I did, but I had installed a program called EasyBCD trying to change boot order. I messed around in bios and stuff and suddenly it booted to a screen where I could select what to boot. Just like when I had ubuntu on my old computer. I just set the SSD to default in EasyBCD and diabled the boot screen and now it boots into windows.

Could this give me more problems in the future or is it solved?

Going to reboot and check the icons in bios.

Edit: I'm apparently stupid, found a second entry for my SSD in the advanced version of the boot order, except it had Boot Manager written in front of it. Changed that to first boot priority and now it boots windows directly and looks like it should I think.

That's right, it looks like you solved it. Your second output has "Firmware Application" (with a description of "Hard Drive") on the 2nd place in the boot order, but as long as the Windows bootloader in the first slot works, it does not matter. The "Firmware Application" is probably how this UEFI BIOS displays the legacy boot option in UEFI interface. You probably could remove the second option from the boot order if you want.

This is one of the new UEFI features: there is a standard way to access the boot order settings while the OS is running. The built-in bcdedit tool is rather horrible, but utility programs like EasyBCD make it easier.

The new Windows bootloader also has a BCD file in the EFI system partition for storing Windows-specific settings. Unfortunately, the bcdedit tool operates on both the UEFI BIOS boot settings and the BCD file, to maximize compatibility with non-UEFI systems... but it makes it harder to understand what is where, in my opinion.

In Linux, the equivalent tool is "efibootmgr": it is also a command-line tool, but it is somewhat easier to use than Windows' bcdedit. Unfortunately, the Windows bootloader includes some extra arguments that apparently must be passed to Linux efibootmgr as generic binary data if you need to reconstruct the Windows boot entry from Linux.

If you plan to have an UEFI-based Linux+Windows dual-boot system, you might want to record both Linux "efibootmgr -v" and "bcdedit /enum firmware /v" outputs, so you'll have an easier time of reconstructing the boot settings to the exact values they were if something like this happens again. Better utilities like EasyBCD can make it easier, but the outputs of those two commands should have all the necessary information even if the existing BIOS settings are totally lost.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Thanks a lot!

Will probably mess with linux later when I get bored so good to know!

Every time I remove the second entry in easyBCD it's there the next time I start it. Even made sure to press the save button. Guess I will mess with it more when stuff breaks. Just nice having everything working right now.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sistergodiva posted:

Don't know what I did, but I had installed a program called EasyBCD trying to change boot order. I messed around in bios and stuff and suddenly it booted to a screen where I could select what to boot.

Why didn't you mention that under "Recent changes"? Seems kinda important.

Happy it's solved, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

brylcreem posted:

Why didn't you mention that under "Recent changes"? Seems kinda important.

Happy it's solved, though!

Oh, yeah I did that to try to fix it and it changed nothing.

Got into a windows skinned boot selection screen unlike the dos-looking normal one. This just happened once randomly, really strange.

• Locked thread