Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manny Suave
Apr 5, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

It's WWE's own fault. I can see why negotiations with Goldberg took so long, but DDP should've been a day one contract instead of a weird stalker angle a few months later. He could've anchored WCW with Booker. That said, I can't think of too many more top stars they could've pulled. Flair even came back later that year, didn't he?

Yeah, Flair came back the night after the official end of the Invasion at Survivor Series, and then within the next year/year-and-a-half or so they brought in Hogan, Nash, Hall, Steiner, and Goldberg anyway.

The idea was that paying all this outside talent huge money despite them having been "working to destroy the WWF/E" would have put a huge damper on locker room morale, but looking back it seems like a big misstep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manny Suave
Apr 5, 2011

81sidewinder posted:

It doesn't matter who they would have signed, it was still going to be a flop no matter what with Vince booking it. He can't fathom some outsider getting serious heat on his guys, so it was never going to work.

Yeah, it became "McMahon Family Drama (oh yeah and some wcw and ecw guys too)" almost-- poo poo, not even "almost," it was immediate.

Manny Suave
Apr 5, 2011

RZApublican posted:

A MCMAHON IN EVERY CORNER

"It's WWF vs. WCW! Vince McMahon vs. Shane McMahon! At Wrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrestlemaaaaaaaaaaniaaaaaaaaa!"

Manny Suave
Apr 5, 2011

Onmi posted:

with Arn and someone else on commentary.

It was Arn and Scott Hudson. What's the consensus on Scott Hudson? I thought he was A-Okay, but it's been years and maybe he was terrible and I was just young.

• Locked thread