Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I caught wind earlier tonight that something had riled up the remaining five Wildstar fans. A little bit of Googling revealed that the game is being yanked from the shelves down in moonland which is exactly what happened to Elder Scrolls Online in their preparation for switching over to a no-sub model. This seems to be the normal progression for failed MMORPGs of late, so there's nothing surprising about that; I think everyone considered it inevitable.

No, what I discovered next is what takes this into the EXTREME zone that everyone knows and loves about Wildstar. So hey cupcakes, we heard you like lockboxes in your lovely cash shop MMOs! So we're making box copies of our game into $40 lockboxes with a random prize item in each one! Buy enough boxes to get all three items and you get a special title, so quickly run down to your local Best Buy and clear the shelves before someone else does! I can only hope that the special title is "Cash Cow".

The camel's back has just shattered with the report of a gunshot. The last bastions of true faith are currently in flames with wailing and gnashing of teeth from the people still playing, and tons of smugposts from the people who've been pointing out the downward spiral. This being a transparent ploy to clear out remaining box inventory so they don't have to refund stores is obvious enough for even the pubbies to catch on to, but there is currently debate over the intentions for the game after the boxes are gone. In order of ascending hilarity, the possibilities seem to be:

1. Buy to play conversion. Following ESO's footsteps, they're just getting rid of the subscription model boxes.
2. Free to play conversion. In which suckers pay $40 for a flying cat mount and a cardboard box when they can just get the game for free in three months.
3. Subscription-only conversion. In which suckers pay $40 for a flying cat mount and a cardboard box and still have to pay $15 a month to keep playing it.
4. Shutting down the game. I'm personally hoping for this one, just to be able to read posts from people who spent hundreds buying worthless game boxes immediately before the plug gets pulled on the servers. Thanks for the money, cupcake!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

quote:

Q: Are the items character-bound, or account-bound?

A: They are character-bound. When you apply one to your character, it is no longer shareable with your other characters (although you can still trade it).
:allears:

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

F2P conversion of wildstar has the potential of overdoing swtor in terms of overall shittiness if the devs terminal idiocy is anything to go by. Can't wait.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I'm actually hoping for a variation of 4: Shutting the game down, selling its art assets to a better company, and then releasing a brand new game.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
A mystery box.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
the mystery is who the gently caress is still playing wildstar

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
for a fun activity read this thread here and then remind yourself to never ever ever ever get into an mmo solely because it was goon suggested

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I made it out of the intro zone of this game then uninstalled.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
My god. The Wildstar thread is back. Closing the last one was a terrible idea. It was great entertainment. You can't get TV with this much drama and hilarious pants on head stupidity in it nowadays. Even reality TV doesn't come close. :allears:

What scheme will the devs get up too this time? Who will be scammed into a sub? Can they stop mean old Mr. NCSoft from shutting down the servers? Tune in next post to find out!

Edit: Fun fact. That marauder outfit appears to be same outfit they were handing out for beta participation. They couldn't even give a unique cosmetic outfit for dropping $40 on the game. It's the most :effort: attempt at loving people over i've seen out of a MMO in awhile.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 16, 2015

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm really disappointed that Wildstar did not turn out good. I was in the closed beta, and pre-ordered too. I really believed in this game until post launch when it became obvious the devs weren't going to support it, and its end game content was awful. :/

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

It's not that the devs didn't support it, it's that the support they did give was terrible

I'm also glad this thread is back. Oddly enough there's less bickering in this than the actual schaedenfreud thread in pyf

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Lyer posted:

It's not that the devs didn't support it, it's that the support they did give was terrible

I'm also glad this thread is back. Oddly enough there's less bickering in this than the actual schaedenfreud thread in pyf

Yeah. If this thread sticks around it will inevitably get bogged down in shitposts at some point in the future, but if you're just now reading about this game never forget this. This game could have been great. It certainly has a unique art style and theme going for it. The image and style it presented was way ahead of the poo poo you get out of most MMO's. That's about it though.

The problem is the devs were the sort of people who think a regressive and content devoid ball busting end game circa Everquest was acceptable material in today's market. This was aided by the ~hardcore raiding~ (Read: Guilds that couldn't cut it in other games due to being dickheads or simply poo poo.) community creating an echo chamber on their forums during and after beta.

When called on this by their actual base of consumers they doubled down and chased off most people with a terrible release and PR response. Then eventually even tripled down on it by loving with their base of hardcore raiders by going more hardcore than what many of their hardcore guilds thought was sane or acceptable. See the example of them hot-tuning raid bosses to make them unbeatable and their PR guys mocking the few guilds that did win a raid as an example.

The developers absolutely brought this poo poo on themselves and their every response to it only keeps getting funnier.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 16, 2015

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
This is an amazing idea on so many levels.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
welcome back, wildstar thread. :allears:

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I felt that the impending impact of the flaming wreckage into the sea of F2P/P2P/whatever and the fact that the devs are now just throwing out blatant cash grabs to the already-abused true believers who have been hanging on by their fingernails for the last six months was newsworthy enough to warrant the wildstar thread's resurrection. At this point all I can imagine is that there's a daily brainstorming session in their office about what they can do that will manage to actually drive off the remaining desperate fans. Next week we'll probably see an announced update where in order to fulfill wildstar's HARDCORE reputation, they're sending thugs to the homes of every subscriber to kick the crap out of them while they play. Some people on their forums will thank them for this.

It's both amusing and sad to read some of the forum posts from fans who just sound so confused that the game's financial model has failed enough to warrant switching over to a new one. But... it's such a good game! And they've been insisting for the last year that it's great and that it's doing great and it had no need to ever lower itself from the mount olympus of the 'buy the box and then pay a sub fee' model. So... so... what's happening? It just doesn't make sense... :smith:

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Oh my goodness, YES! I was wondering what was going on with WildStar ever since the last thread shut down, and this is sooooo much better than I could have hoped.

Glad to hear they're still behind on basic quality-of-life features!

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

I said come in! posted:

I'm really disappointed that Wildstar did not turn out good. I was in the closed beta, and pre-ordered too. I really believed in this game until post launch when it became obvious the devs weren't going to support it, and its end game content was awful. :/

The game was fun until you hit level 40 then everything began to feel like a chore to do.
And I swore I datamined these promotional boxes before the game even released, they had names like Curiosity Box and such.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Archonex posted:

Yeah. If this thread sticks around it will inevitably get bogged down in shitposts at some point in the future,

I don't think we need to worry about people shitposting that the game is good anymore.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

My face when I was reminded that Wildstar still exists.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

http://www.mmo-troll.com/carbine-and-ncsoft-take-a-hard-stand-on-wildstar-promise-never-to-go-free-to-play/

Would they really LIE to us?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I am so happy that this thread exists. If they go F2P I am going to download and play this thing on the go live date. I don't actually intend to "play" the game. I just want to soak in the pubbie tears the will be flowing from the map/zone/whatever chat. A few hours in there is worth every megabyte.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

sword_man.gif posted:

the mystery is who the gently caress is still playing wildstar

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

sword_man.gif posted:

for a fun activity read this thread here and then remind yourself to never ever ever ever get into an mmo solely because it was goon suggested

fun fact: that guy in the thread you linked is the one that tried to sneak bobfromarketing back into the archeage guild and was openly sitting with BFM and some other goons in the IRC channel before BFM got permad

the more you kno

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
Chua is excited to see Wildstar conquer the MMO market

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Eonwe posted:

fun fact: that guy in the thread you linked is the one that tried to sneak bobfromarketing back into the archeage guild and was openly sitting with BFM and some other goons in the IRC channel before BFM got permad

the more you kno

oh, i know

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Wildstar remains one of the funniest game releases I've ever seen, and it just keeps getting better. They actually used the word "Box Mystery" to describe it. Someone else has to remember that thread, right?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I knew this thread was going come back once F2P was imminent and I didn't disappoint.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

You guys need to spend some time in this thread.

quote:

If there aren't enough people on WS, it's because it's way too hardcore for common people.

If NCSoft is going to turn it into a F2P, it means they will want to get more people. But if the game is still too hardcore, they won't get more people; infact they will keep the actual ones but without a sub.

So, if they turn it into a F2P, they will have to lower the game's difficulty.

And WS will fall from "one of the gretest MMO ever" to a "basic F2P".

WS DOESN'T DESERVE IT !

Even if everything leads to think it will be a F2P someday, this will be the worst waste in the gaming industry ever.

<= pure fan of WS who turned his back to every other MMO

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ahahaha

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
With the militant fans this game had I was pretty sure nothing Carbine could do would ever piss them off but they somehow found a way to do that.

Congrats I suppose?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
This game truly is....Something Awful

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Gotta admit: if the game goes F2P or B2P I would definitely log in just to continue to watch the fall, in all its hilarity. The conversion is going to be a glory to watch, and this game's already provided hours of hilarity just watching it. :allears:

Though if NCSoft just axes the game, that'd be even more amazing.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

SpaceDrake posted:

Gotta admit: if the game goes F2P or B2P I would definitely log in just to continue to watch the fall, in all its hilarity. The conversion is going to be a glory to watch, and this game's already provided hours of hilarity just watching it. :allears:

Though if NCSoft just axes the game, that'd be even more amazing.

I'll give that spergy poster that I quoted a little credit. They are right that unless Carbine nerfs their game a lot then the business model does not matter. People will try the game because it is "free" or B2P but they will quit soon after that because of the wall they will slam into which amounts to WS's end game.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Xavier434 posted:

I'll give that spergy poster that I quoted a little credit. They are right that unless Carbine nerfs their game a lot then the business model does not matter. People will try the game because it is "free" or B2P but they will quit soon after that because of the wall they will slam into which amounts to WS's end game.

Even the leveling game isn't that fun.

It's like WoW's old leveling game. Except it's dreadful as gently caress since it takes so long to level. Plus, the game world is stupidly deadly for everything except balls to the walls DPS classes. Either you're terrified of more than one mob aggroing you at once or you're a ridiculous kiting murder machine. And sometimes that doesn't even hold up since the zones are sprinkled with what are basically elite mobs that will loving end you in a straight fight without a lot of acrobatics.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 16, 2015

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
So did that bug where an entire race/class combo didn't have weapon drawing/holstering sound effects get fixed? Aurin Spellslingers, was it?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mizuti posted:

My face when I was reminded that Wildstar still exists.

Man that hyper-cartoony character design is really off-putting to me.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
This game still exists? Considering how much money NCSoft has flushed down the toilet on it so far, I am amazed.

Is that guy who role plays a rat person on the forums still posting? I really hope he has a melt down. Of all the obnoxious people in the Wildstar community, he has always been particularly obnoxious.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
He doesn't do his Chua shtick anymore, but he still posts.

quote:

this threads, tweets and subreddits are beyond reason.

Australia is withdrawing the retail boxes, and the entire F2P bandwagon is on the role, thinking they're getting the game for free now...

I really pitty the devs who have to read this crap constantly from people not willing to support the hard work this company has done.

What a sad little world we live in....

From this wonderful thread.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Archonex posted:

Even the leveling game isn't that fun.

It's like WoW's old leveling game. Except it's dreadful as gently caress since it takes so long to level. Plus, the game world is stupidly deadly for everything except balls to the walls DPS classes. Either you're terrified of more than one mob aggroing you at once or you're a ridiculous kiting murder machine. And sometimes that doesn't even hold up since the zones are sprinkled with what are basically elite mobs that will loving end you in a straight fight without a lot of acrobatics.

Leveling in Wildstar was weird because instead of steadily getting slower it slowed down in the middle then sped way up for the last ten levels. Did they ever figure out an endgame for non-hardcores besides Burning Crusade style daily quests?

So much of the "hardcore" stuff in that game was really just anti-player (loving rune slots!), although maybe there's not a whole lot of difference with MMOs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
This thread is finally back. Please dont close it when we get bogged down in shitposting this time tyvm.

• Locked thread