Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

onesixtwo posted:

It's fun because this exact statement makes the supporters rage at the concept. Leveling content in MMOs for me involves watching netflix and sometimes saying fuckit to dodge mechanics or being 100% optimal at all times. Clearly I'm not hardcore enough for Wildstar's level 20 leveling content.

Welcome back thread :toot:

Realtalk I resubbed WoW a week or so ago and I've been catching up on TV while I level to 100. So far I've banged out two seasons of The Shield and one of Justified, this is easily the best way to play WoW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Literally The Worst posted:

Realtalk I resubbed WoW a week or so ago and I've been catching up on TV while I level to 100. So far I've banged out two seasons of The Shield and one of Justified, this is easily the best way to play WoW.

I stopped playing mmos when I sat down and considered the fact that the only way I could enjoy it was by enjoying something else while glancing at it every so often.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Byolante posted:

I stopped playing mmos when I sat down and considered the fact that the only way I could enjoy it was by enjoying something else while glancing at it every so often.

To me it's the other way around. I can't just sit and watch TV without doing something else, so I play MMOs to give me something to do while I watch TV.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I play mmos to do something while I drink. :shepicide:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Avynte posted:

I play mmos to do something while I drink. :shepicide:

i drink to do something while i play mmos

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo
A reminder that this was the gif posted by the lead raid designer when he found out a guild finally cleared one of their lovely raids.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pesterchum posted:

A reminder that this was the gif posted by the lead raid designer when he found out a guild finally cleared one of their lovely raids.

Wait are you serious, he's saying that their overly powerful poo poo was actually too easy? Jesus Christ.

Someone link one of the old threads, I need something new to read.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I think it was because they found a way to boost their DPS in a pseudo exploity way so he threw a tantrum

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Stormgale posted:

I think it was because they found a way to boost their DPS in a pseudo exploity way so he threw a tantrum

I thought it was because the encounter was literally impossible with the current level of attainable gear so the devs had no choice but to tone it down, so when it was finally beaten he acted like a baby throwing a tantrum.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Verranicus posted:

I thought it was because the encounter was literally impossible with the current level of attainable gear so the devs had no choice but to tone it down, so when it was finally beaten he acted like a baby throwing a tantrum.

This is the right memory. The first clear of their content happened after months and months of guilds burning out. They nerfed the content prior to killing 40-man raids, and that allowed their top progression guild to get a kill. The gif in a response was posted to the reddit thread, and obviously people saying the GM was being an rear end in a top hat were ridiculed and hidden.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bauxite posted:

The WS devs didn't understand the importance of having leveling mobs not being assholes. Downtime from the AWESOME fights is actually a really important thing, just like the pacing in a good suspense novel has downtimes where the characters aren't in immediate danger of getting their assholes ripped open.

I remember there were some random deer in the snowy zone you had to kill for a quest that would absolutely annihilate you if you weren't 100% on point (at least with certain characters or builds). I saw something like 20 people complain about them across 5 different forums. I posted a thread on the official forums that amounted to "you should maybe tone down these deer because they are literally causing people to unsubscribe" and got the predictable official forums response.

The straw that broke the camel's back for me was that the performance got worse and worse with every patch until doing some boss fights was more or less impossible. That and my first month was up.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Pesterchum posted:

Is ncsoft management developmentally disabled or something? Why do they continue giving money to these pissants? :cripes:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

cthulhoo posted:

Is ncsoft management developmentally disabled or something? Why do they continue giving money to these pissants? :cripes:

Sunk cost fallacy?

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

At some point one would imagine ncsoft management to step up and tell them to stfu with their retarded user-hostile poo poo.

e: since carbine higher ups apparently consider this a proper way to do business going by how this idiot bitch of a game designer has not been fired on the spot after making that post.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo
Here's the other relevant screenshot.

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010
Wow... I actually had a lot of fun in the 20 man raid despite the insane amount of bullshit that the game had and well I was no where close to a defender of Wildstar that story about the 40 man raid and that screenshot make me hope that guy doesn't work on a game ever again and is forced to do something he hates for money for the rest of his retarded life.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Haha, the forums are going nuts over there with F2P threads.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Sankis posted:

oh yeah i totally forgot about the hilarious disconnect between the writing. There was something they did early on on the bad guy side with comic books that I thought was really cool. I think you collected them and they had lore in them? I actually liked that. It was referential and silly without being CUPCAKE NOM NOM NOM CUPCAKE CUPCAKE like the rest of the game was.

The taxi dialogue made me want to smash my monitor. There was a beta era mod that disabled their dialogue but it stopped being updated before the game launch. I should have realized something was wrong when most of the mods weren't updated for launch.

I enjoyed the art style quite a bit. What gave me issues was that the humor was just god awful and being called a cupcake every two seconds got old fast. Between that, the optimization, and the medal system for dungeons, I just couldn't keep myself playing.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Verranicus posted:

Haha, the forums are going nuts over there with F2P threads.

What these idiots do not realize is that absolutely nothing they say will make a difference short of campaigning successfully to get a ton of new people to sub to this mmo. It is all about the numbers now and not about the opinions. The numbers probably lean towards favoring f2p and that is not going to change.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I still find it hilarious that the #1 guild in WS outright cheated like hell on the first weeks, and Carbine wasn't willing to do poo poo to them.

The Moon Monster posted:

The straw that broke the camel's back for me was that the performance got worse and worse with every patch until doing some boss fights was more or less impossible. That and my first month was up.

Yeah, I gave up on the silver medal grind when the server loving up killed a great attempt on the one dungeon I needed.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Deki posted:

I still find it hilarious that the #1 guild in WS outright cheated like hell on the first weeks, and Carbine wasn't willing to do poo poo to them.

Yeah, I gave up on the silver medal grind when the server loving up killed a great attempt on the one dungeon I needed.

Was that the one in Skullcano where that one required miniboss would just sink 6 inches into the ground and go untargetable?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Xavier434 posted:

What these idiots do not realize is that absolutely nothing they say will make a difference short of campaigning successfully to get a ton of new people to sub to this mmo. It is all about the numbers now and not about the opinions. The numbers probably lean towards favoring f2p and that is not going to change.

But Xavier, then they'll have ~filthy casuals~ playing alongside them!

I actually played WS in the beta and pre-ordered and everything, but didn't get far enough to do anything raid-y. I think I stopped around level 20, where you had to do the first three-person mini-dungeons? It's been a while so I don't remember exactly, but even at that early point the grind turned tedious as poo poo.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The best part is the idiots saying "But Carbine will spend time on things I don't want them to" as if Carbine has been spending time on things that they have confirmed that the idiots want, at any time since beta, with Wildstar being a subscription-based game.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Pesterchum posted:

Are you serious? what a circlejerk that community is.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
What has the content release of WS been like since it's launch almost a year ago? I remember they had to cancel their whole monthly drop schedule and then cause they released a lovely game they had to spend what updates they did put out mostly focusing on fixing their existing game rather than adding new content. To anyone who still keeps track of this game can you compile what actually new content has been added?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pesterchum posted:

lmao imagine how bad the holiday parties and poo poo are at Carbine with people like this

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Like "We literally cancelled Christmas" Carbine has holiday parties.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

If the glassdoor reviews are accurate then holiday parties were either a let down or barely existed.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Xavier434 posted:

If the glassdoor reviews are accurate then holiday parties were either a let down or barely existed.

"hey look its christmas coming up and you've been working hard, there's free pop in the fridge"

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Pesterchum posted:

I want to remind people that the person who posted that image macro? And the person in this screencap? That person is the lead raid designer. This is a person who I stress again was completely open about the fact he had deliberately made bosses impossible.

Stormgale posted:

No, that was well previous to the world's first and it wasn't really an exploit either. There was an accessory in Wildstar with an active effect that sliced off a decent chunk of your targets armor, and a guild managed to clear an impossible DPS check by loading up on said accessory and using it repeatedly to meet the damage requirements. I want to keep reiterating that I mean absolutely no hyperbole when I say impossible, Timetraveller, AKA the jackhole who posted that macro on Reddit was open with this guild and told them that the boss they killed wasn't supposed to be mortal for at least another month. Unsurprisingly that particular accessory was smacked by a nerfbat quite fast, it was actually patched much more quickly than many other balance issues or design flaws.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Byolante posted:

Thats the relevant section from the email I got my fnf key in. Its pretty hilarious.

:vince:

I have difficulty believing anyone volunteered FnF emails knowing of that policy. I have to assume that their friends could get them fired by talking about it, was actually a pretty funny surprise when the emails went out.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Omnicrom posted:

I want to remind people that the person who posted that image macro? And the person in this screencap? That person is the lead raid designer. This is a person who I stress again was completely open about the fact he had deliberately made bosses impossible.

No, that was well previous to the world's first and it wasn't really an exploit either. There was an accessory in Wildstar with an active effect that sliced off a decent chunk of your targets armor, and a guild managed to clear an impossible DPS check by loading up on said accessory and using it repeatedly to meet the damage requirements. I want to keep reiterating that I mean absolutely no hyperbole when I say impossible, Timetraveller, AKA the jackhole who posted that macro on Reddit was open with this guild and told them that the boss they killed wasn't supposed to be mortal for at least another month. Unsurprisingly that particular accessory was smacked by a nerfbat quite fast, it was actually patched much more quickly than many other balance issues or design flaws.

Timetraveller didn't just drink the kool-aid that they were serving to the "hardcore" whiners, he replaced his blood with it. What a dense motherfucker.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

FrostyPox posted:

I'm surprised this game hasn't gone F2P/got shut down already, but I'm with the "will play when it goes F2P to drink pubbie tears" crowd.

Man, there's been multiple threads that do nothing except talk about how lovely this game is and yet people constantly post this to fool themselves into thinking they don't just wanna play a bad game. Man up and admit you want to play bad game, or have some self respect for your free time and spend the 15 bucks it takes to get a game on sale on Steam or sub to one of the like, two MMOs that aren't dying right now.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/124774-q-carbine-are-you-changing-your-business-model/page-1

Another F2P thread, this time with bonus dude claiming he worked on GW2 for ArenaNet so everyone should totally listen to what he says.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Carbine could be making anything and with people like that timetraveller guy in senior design positions it would still be a steaming turd. If you game is not fun then it has failed in its most basic criteria for existing.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Having fun is for casuals aka human garbage. :smug:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Deki posted:

Five straight nights of disconnects midway through attempts to beat the timers on stormtalon just ripped any will to do this poo poo out of my entire guild.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
reminder that one of the dungeon silver medal times was 75 minutes, literally over an hour for a speed clear of a dungeon, and you had to hope that the servers which were notorious for making GBS threads themselves didn't do that once in that hour, and also that everyone played very well for that entire time

oops you hosed up at the 65 minute mark and wiped. start over.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Wait, 75 minutes to clear 5 man content is considered a speed run? Holy poo poo.

Last time I spent this kinda time on dungeons was back in cata heroic pugging days (hi grim batol :fuckoff:) and boy did it suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

cthulhoo posted:

Wait, 75 minutes to clear 5 man content is considered a speed run? Holy poo poo.

Last time I spent this kinda time on dungeons was back in cata heroic pugging days (hi grim batol :fuckoff:) and boy did it suck.

:byodood: GOOD OLD DAYS OF HARDCORE MMOS FOR HARDOCRE GAMERS

• Locked thread