Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also, do any of you know how to do CRT repairs? Apparently working on them is like that scene in MacGuyver... It doesn't matter which one. I have this wickedly bright RCA-video green phosphor screen with a busted horizontal diversion magnetic field thingy so it only shows a vertical line and all of the advice online is all either some south east asian kid talking in words that make no sense to me while pointing at electronics that make very little sense to me or I haven't watched them yet. Everyone else online seems to say that they're about as dangerous to work on as an IED on a street in Mosul and/or Fallujah. I'll be doing some more research this week into the process so I can not hit myself with a high voltage charge or shards of glass from the rapid recompression of the vacuum inside the tube. Sorry to disappoint the typical goony lust for schadenfreude so early in this process.

I have these, too, but no keyboards and the ones on eBay are more expensive than it would be worth to see if they even work anymore. $80 a pop isn't really worth it. Who knows, maybe as I clean this place out more, I'll find something.

Any interesting ideas of things to do that don't involve destroying these relics of a bygone age? If nothing tickles my fancy, I'll probably end up getting them recycled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
actually oc stands for orange catte, op

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

someone post brawny.jpg

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
That cat looks how I feel.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
fat?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
definitely open them up and poke around with a coat hanger or metal-handled screwdriver. The high voltage scare tactic is just a ploy from Big TV to make you go buy a new set instead of fixing it yourself.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i mean it has an ABSOLUTE maximum of 120 volts going into it. If you know your Ohm's law (like I do), you know that more electricity isn't made by the TV as it's not a generator or battery. So the worst case voltage you'd see is 120. You know what else sees 120 volts? An incredibly fragile light bulb. You know, those things that literally smash into pieces if you drop them? Yeah they can take 120 volts for thousands of hours.

Still think you're at risk from anything inside a TV?

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
this one time me and my friends found like a 17 inch crt in the woods, and my huge friend picked it up and started swinging it around by the power cord but then it flew off the cord and nearly hit someone

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
just turn an old hollowed out CRT into a cat bed

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

That too.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jonny 290 posted:

i mean it has an ABSOLUTE maximum of 120 volts going into it. If you know your Ohm's law (like I do), you know that more electricity isn't made by the TV as it's not a generator or battery. So the worst case voltage you'd see is 120. You know what else sees 120 volts? An incredibly fragile light bulb. You know, those things that literally smash into pieces if you drop them? Yeah they can take 120 volts for thousands of hours.

lmbo

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Jonny 290 posted:

Seriously, nut up chump

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

I have an apple ][e complete with the green screen monitor with the tilt thing

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I take it you never got to Gauss or Faraday?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

jony ive aces posted:

actually oc stands for orange catte, op

came here to post this, man you're always on the ball

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

fat is not a feeling!

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006