Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCpPEnwQe3Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Zzulu posted:

kryptonite is lame

its lameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Fresh and insightful observation in TYOOL 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Zzulu posted:

Batman vs Superman vs Aliens vs Predator vs Terminator vs Freddy vs Jason

The director has said in the context of this movie the "v" stands for "with."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Otto von Ruthless posted:

oh of course, like in that way no one has ever used v in the history of the english language

Or Latin or Greek for that matter. I googled. It's an obvious backpedal and I am loving it :allears:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

LegoPirateNinja posted:

you havent truly experienced the superman/batman fight until you've felt it in braille

unIronically want to read Klingon superheroes now.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Remember that stupid speech Michael Candy Cane or Morgan Freedom or whomever says to the "totally not Riddler" guy at the end of The Dark Knight about publicly revealing the super-obvious secret identity of a dude who is clearly mentally unstable and wails on people with his disproportionate privilege? Yeah imagine that but like to a magnitude of 10 in Metropolis. Not only do you know it's Superman right away you can't even loving talk about it in the same neighborhood as anyone else cause he might hear you, so you play along and pray that this dude who could kill you by literally looking at you real hard is in-fact half as good as he pretends to be. Some days you're almost comfortable.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Because the acting is so lovely they have to speak for 2 hours so you understand what the gently caress is going on with the lovely plot.

That's called a lovely script.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 18, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tbh Kryptonite has been one of the biggest albatrosses around the neck of the Superman franchise since like the loving 40s so it's a smart move

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dr qq posted:

that big statue with the false god thing is so stupid jesus christ i wanna punch zack snyder in the tummy

Yeah that bit was lame as poo poo. The rest doesn't look too bad and I say that as someone who loathes Snyder and hated Man of Steel.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

They do but it keeps being General Zod because rigging up complex SFX rigs for more than one type of super-powered character is too expensive.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Midnighter was totally the bottom, but he has to keep up appearances.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Germstore posted:

Without Kryptonite they will need to depower him significantly. He's a guy that can punch you and turn you into gamma rays, and then the gamma rays kill everyone on the planet.

Superman is always exactly as powerful as he needs to be to fit the confines of the story he's in above a base level. Is he fighting Heaven itself? Ok then he can juggle planets and wrestle angels. Is he fighting a gang of schmucks who stole some laser weapons from STAR Labs? Ok then he can get felled by some electricity and poo poo. Trying to take characters with as vague a power level as Superman/Batman on a consistent basis from story to story is going to lead to serious sperg headaches.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

No one in their right mind cares that innocent people died in a movie, it's that like immediately after Zod dies we cut to Superman telling off the US Military and the movie ends like "whelp ok Superman's here bye!" and it feels really dissonant and incredibly tone-deaf.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Toadvine posted:

It's called suspension of disbelief, most people care a lot when innocent people in movies die.

This makes no sense. Most people don't even think about people dying in like the Transformers flicks, but when you're showing skyscraper after skyscraper falling followed by the Daily Planet supporting cast walking around in clear pseudo-9/11 imagery yeah you're left wondering why the gently caress Superman or anyone in the movie isn't acknowledging what was clearly a massive loss of civilian life.

Toadvine posted:

You're right about the dissonance at the end of the movie.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Toadvine posted:

That's transformers, you dork. The movie we are discussing had an apocalypse plot machine designed to kill indiscriminately. It's reasonable for any normal person with feeling to assume the deaths resulting were to define the stakes of the super powered struggle taking place on screen.

Oh, you're a moron. My mistake.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nefarious posted:

what was with all the dumb christ imagery in man of steel? is zach snyder a born again christian or some poo poo

Scrubs try to see Superman as Jesus because their imagination and capacity for archetype is limited as poo poo.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Even then the whole "to guide humanity" thing is only in some versions of the origin. In just as many they only reason Jor-El sends Kal-El to Earth is because he looks like a human and will fit in until his powers develop and either blend in or rule them like a god. Either way the whole "Jor-El wants him to be a savior" thing is hardly an ironclad feature for Superman's origin and personally one I prefer to be left behind (no pun intended).

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Germstore posted:

Superman got up to some weird-rear end poo poo.

Even by the 50s the writers had no loving clue what to do with him most of the time so they came up with whatever weird poo poo that made them laugh. True goons.

Phoon posted:

but the sincere fans loving love the marvel movies so this doesnt really hold up, its just fox and dc that dont know how to make a good movie

Yeah but cinephiles loving hate the Marvel movies cause their cinematography/shot composition is legit weak so it balances out.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

cams posted:

man of steel tricked me into thinking it would be a real deep philosophical exploration of the implications of superman's godhood among mortal humanity

I'm a huge Superman fan and loving lol if you think any blockbuster movie is ever going to do this ever. Besides which a philosophical exploration of godhood is incredibly motherfucking boring and often comes across as intellectual masturbation. Superman is best written as a symbolic tale of an adopted middle class immigrant who was sent to Earth to rule over humanity by his rear end in a top hat birth-father and decided instead to not be a douchecanoe because his adopted parents raised him well, and finds himself clashing heads with self-styled masters of the universe and wannabe-emperors like Luthor and Mongul.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That might be being you being spoiled. Go rewatch literally any superhero movie other than like, Blade and Spider-Man 2 made before 2008. The fighting is almost uniformly rear end.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Throwdini posted:

Does Superman use kUNg fu?

If Batman wasn't such a perpetually paranoid piece of poo poo it'd be fun to watch him train with Superman and call Superman out for coasting on his brawler strength, and teaching him to use some self-defense techniques.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ddraig posted:

Superman has read literally every book on the planet, can pretty much speak any language. He also has the ability to go back in time so he's probably read everything that was ever written ever.

So Batman would be like "So this is what you do" and Superman would reply "Well I spoke to Sun Tzu and he says you're a massive human being :smuggo:"

Now someone post that stupid Flash meme-text from like 10 years ago with GOES FAST and all that poo poo.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Phoon posted:

nope, you can do an action comedy but youll never get the emotional part of deadpool if hes not surrounded by people he desperately wants to be like but cant due to his crazy issues

lots of people like the wacky deadpool but all the best runs of the character have had that and thats why the most recent (very popular and well received) run built to a payoff of cap and wolverine genuinely accepting him because thats what he wants most, to be part of the superhero community, respected by his peers and beloved by the public

There was a good single issue where he kicks the poo poo out of Taskmaster as part of a live demo reel to potential assassin employers because he thinks he's not being hired by anyone cause they think he's soft and at the end when he thanks Taskmaster for letting Deadpool beat him up so badly Taskmaster groans out something to the effect of "You loving idiot I wasn't letting you kick my poo poo in you were doing it out of raw skill and talent. You haven't gone soft at all. No one thinks that. No one wants to hire you because you're an unpredictable rear end in a top hat."

psyopmonkey2 posted:

Nick Cage as superman.

Lets go there.

I GET IT

Phoon posted:

you cant make a deadpool movie without other superheroes, without spiderman or captain america for deadpool to try to imitate and fail (so that people will love him) you have no pathos hes just a psychotic madman

I'm pretty sure there are gonna be other X-Men characters in the movie and it's all going to tie into X-Men as a whole.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

spider-man runs the x-men now

I GET IT

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

it wasn't a joke. Spider-man is in charge of the X-men

Oh I know. I was saying that I got what you were trying to do which was to bait me into some :goonsay: correction spiel about how you were talking about the current comics and not the movies which involve a whole host of different company rights and thus Spider-Man can't show up in the Deadpool movie cause he's owned by Sony/Marvel and not Fox and oh look you've done it to me anyway haha cucked

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

You're a goddam idiot. Sony has the right to spider-man, Deadpool, and the X-men

I knew there was no winning with you and I replied anyway. Just pull out your red hot dick and sodomize me already cause I am clearly owned.

Phoon posted:

marvel could make a good deadpool movie, theres no way that fox can

Nah Deadpool is relatively easy, honestly.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMI6B734Ew4

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Germstore posted:

Thomas Wayne Foundation and Martha Wayne Foundation.

That's lip service and you drat well know it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'd give them some credit if they had balls to make Superman anything more than a one dimensional boyscout though and despite that last trailer I doubt they will. Superman is the most boring superhero of all time outside of comedy and absurdity.

This is scrub-level knowledge, fyi. The most boring superhero of all time outside of comedy/absurdity is actually Hawkman.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

they might actually endanger him or present a problem he can't just CTRL+Z on.

Everyone says this without realizing that in nearly every superhero story ever the hero is just as protected by plot armor and often comes out ahead without ever having a serious problem. Everything else is just showing the hero getting beat up and having him grimace, maybe with some "Heart of the Cards" moment to help him pull through. There's nothing about Superman that precludes such scenes other than the same kind-of scrub thinking that somehow Superman's reputation as invincible means he has to be portrayed as invincible (he doesn't you loving scrub).

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

hard counter posted:

Lex can def still be a villain sometimes but not the kind meant to put Supes in mortal peril consistently

P. much although I do love that stupid green/purple power suit in a goofy retro kind-of way. Luthor is definitely better as a Machiavellian schemer with massive lieutenants like Bizarro, Parasite, or Metallo.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

dear god, shut up!

Better goons than you have failed to make me.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rutibex posted:

that is the story. every time there is an elseworld where luthor takes over the world he creates a paradise with his technology and makes humanity a space fairing civilization. superman and the justice league hoard all the cool future/alien technology for themselves well people on earth die of cancer.

Kind-of. There's been more than one story Elseworld and otherwise where Superman calls Luthor out right to his face that while Superman was "out of the way" and presumed dead or whatever Luthor still didn't cure cancer or take mankind to the stars or any such poo poo. Bottom line is that Luthor is a force for good for humanity if-and-only-if there isn't anyone like Superman to challenge his ego as the savior of mankind even if that very challenge is gone after discovery.

As for all the future/alien tech the JLA has. Yeah that's valid but what the JLA actually has stored in their vaults is variable as poo poo because the JLA curing cancer or whatever isn't the loving point of a superhero story.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

hard counter posted:

I'm a little surprised marvel movies are so beloved itt

They tend to be the exact same popularappeal.mp3 film every time, at least when the film is good. There's a heroic male lead that's kind of goofy so we can laugh sometimes to break tension that's soon betrayed by a close associate for personal gain, when the lead is at his lowest he's paired w/ the hottest actress available and together they rebuild the lead until he can face the badguy. The pacing and structure is then made Snyder formula perfect w/no loose minutes full-stop. The team movies are usually built the same way but there are more characters to split the building blocks between. Sometimes marvel still produces a subpar film anyway but since they churn out movies every year it's only a speed bump instead of a full derailment.

I could see marvel being beloved compared to DC tho because DC seems to flounder way more.

This is so reductive I'm surprised you didn't straight-up quote "Hero with a Thousand Faces." Everything you said is demonstrably not true in the vast majority of cases, and people have already outlined why they like Marvel so much in spite of Marvel's many glaring flaws-- Marvel knows what the mass appeal of these characters truly is and translates it well on a serial level, which not even objectively better filmmakers like Snyder and Singer and even Raimi and Burton and Nolan managed to do.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

hard counter posted:

Good tv shows that reuse the same formula eventually get stale and lose viewership over time tho, for some the happens faster than others and it can happen with movie franchises on a fast release cycle too.

The existence of CBS sitcoms refute this very solidly.

quote:

Tbh I don't know Hero with a Thousand Faces, I pretty much just watch these films casually w/o caring much about doing a serious viewing or critique. As far as I can tell that's how they're meant to be watched, just come for some light entertainment. They are lightly entertaining and modestly good on average but I don't see how see how marvel films can earn as much praise as they do despite being total popcorn. The films I've seen do have pretty glaring similarities along the lines I've mentioned, if you aren't seeing them I don't think we have anything to discuss there.

Hahahaha you're such a scrub at this stuff. I know the similarities both better than you and how Marvel manages to avoid them on a consistent level even if the superhero template does indeed have a lot of overlap, although frankly even if I wasted my afternoon laying out the differences you'd disagree out of stubbornness if nothing else. You know just enough from casual exposure to media to think you have some level of competence but anyone who has even half-studied fiction on a casual level can see what an incompetent little twat you are. You're a walking Dunning-Kruger effect.

Sour Diesel posted:

mark hamill was the best joker and he never put on the dumb makeup

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hobohemian posted:

Tony Stark clearly was an alcoholic though?

Yeah but in that Disney way where it's obvious to adults but kids can gloss over all the drinks he has because after 2008 Iron Man became super popular with young kids and Marvel/Disney does not want to gently caress that gravvy train up. Weirdly enough it's been more ok to show Stark sleeping around before he got with Pepper than it's been to show negative effects of his alcoholism. IIRC that's speculated to be one of the big reasons Favereau bailed on directing Iron Man after the second one because he wanted to do "Demon in a Bottle" but Marvel/Disney refused to let him.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It could have been good but I'm a firm believer that concept matters far less than execution, although to be sure some concepts and circumstances make a good execution nigh-impossible, and the popularity of Iron Man with kids definitely makes an alcoholism story quite difficult to pull off and still check off all the demo boxes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

considering how big their budgets are marvel movies look really cheap to me. like they feel like TV movies with big effects budgets instead of actual movies. Like Nolan Batman was mostly a mess but I feel like the cinematography and effects blow the marvel movies out of the water,

Only a blind idiot would disagree with this, but it's mostly because Marvel knows what really matters to most of the audience-- getting the characters and their interplay correct. The rest is window dressing, and it still looks slick enough to get a pass. They have made an effort to make their visuals better via stuff like Guardians, but it's definitely not their top priority and to people who think cinema is exclusively a visual medium this arrangement of priority really pisses them off. Look at Man of Steel-- they prioritized the visuals, which blow anything Marvel has done straight out of the water, over a good script or solid understanding of the character and a lot of people loving hate it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

And Orson Scott Card wrote a ton of dumb bullshit about how Ultimate Tony's entire body is brain matter (seriously) so yeah Blue Raider is 110% a dumb gently caress who is full of poo poo hth.

616 Tony was boring but they made the right call in recognizing the fun inherent in his playboy persona and sought out an actor (RDJ) who spent his childhood actually being a playboy and it was a match made in heaven.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Blue Raider posted:

not the card stuff numb nuts, the later stuff by like ellis and miller. or hickman for that matter

1. Miller, you mean Millar? The guy who wrote the brain tumor poo poo before Card wrote anything?
2. Ellis' run happened after the movies.
3. Hickman's run happened after the movies.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ElGroucho posted:

I don't know who any of these people are, but why isn't Tony getting laid in these movies? Is the Peppermint Patty girl his lady in the comics too? It seems like she should just be his best friend who is helping him hide the dead hooker bodies

He sleeps with one chick at the beginning of Iron Man and it's A Bad Thing because we see how Pepper is sick of being his clean-up lady immediately after, then they show a flashback of him sleeping with Extremis-scientist lady on New Years' Eve in Iron Man 3. If they showed more than that parents would probably get pissed off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Blue Raider posted:

jesus christ walrus, my point is that ultimate tony is a fun character while normal tony isnt, never mind their motivations

Push those goalposts. My point is that their basic modus operandi is goddamn identical and Ultimate Tony is so loving weird and none of his major differences made it into the movies. Besides that point after the movie in 2008 Marvel has gone out of their way to make 616 Tony more fun and it's worked. I agree that pre-2008 616 Tony was boring as gently caress but it's not like Ultimate Tony was really all that different (like anything in the Ultimate Universe really).

• Locked thread