Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

FutonForensic posted:

2) Everyone who got a renewed interest in Battlefront but are disappointed with BF3 end up playing BF2 instead, much like how tons of people bought Simcity 4 after 2k13 was a total bust. So it's a win-win either way! :v:

Apparently there are fan made multiplayer server tools out now. I wish I had the means to set one up...

Hopper fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Apr 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Co-Optimus article

quote:

While the massive 40 player multiplayer matches are going to be the main focus of the game, there will still be a wide variety of modes to choose from. For instance, there will be a solo campaign with carefully crafted missions that can be played in either (what we've been waiting to hear about) offline local split-screen or online co-op modes! At the moment, it sounds as if only one other player may join in co-operative modes, but we hope to hear more on this soon. Now, we'll have to wait for some actual gameplay footage to, but E3 2015 is right around the corner. Hopefully we'll get some raw gameplay action rather than pre-rendered cutscenes to believe the hype.

(bolding is mine)

So there seems to be a single player campaign?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Are you saying possible jar jar binks character would have been a "feature"?
More like torture....

Hopper fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Apr 24, 2015

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Well it's nice but 70% of people won't own a disc copy I guess

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Lego episode 7 I guess

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
It looks good, but I know by now that I will be burnt so badly when I buy this. Dice and EA, that says it all.

The Urge is strong with this one.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
The way he holds and fires that laser pistol rubs me the wrong way, one-handed it looks like a cheap plastic toy with no weight...

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
No but running and firing like that would probably be way less accurate than holding it with your second hand to steady your aim.
I know it is. A minor issue it just looks weird to me.

And the shuttle looks a bit flimsy, especially the ramp

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Well since Han shot first it must be right.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Oh god, I inevitably see myself spending money on this...

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Dice is incredibly poo poo at vertical gameplay. To them it means "shooting down from above at people who can't see you because of the headglitching".

Also so far we know Battlefront will have 4 planets and 3 game modes initially, or is there more?
Hoth, Tatooine, Sullust and Endor are the planets.
But what are the game modes?
One is horde mode, where you fight waves of enemies, then that mode where you have to control the generators. What else.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 4, 2015

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
At least you get whitty banterTM between special units when they gey close to each other, e.g. Han and Boba, Luke and Vader.
I dunno what you are complaining about?

I fully admit that I already saved 60€ for this game, simply for the fact that it is StarWars and the sound of Ties and XWings flying over your head is so amazing.
I hope this game will be decent. If not I will only play 100 hours or so and then wait for fan made servers.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah who needs a good gameplay when they have characters spouting movie quotes..

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

I am fully sold on this now. Not sure about preordering though. Preorders always suck

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Okay real talk: do the deluxe version or the pre-order version have any proper advantage over the normal version besides unlock shortcuts?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
God I am so hyped for this game...
Question is do I preorder or do I wait? Are there any real benefits to preordering? I guess not.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
You are absolutely correct. Whichbis why I hope there is no exclusive preorder content. But I guess even if there is, it will be sold extra after a year.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I am not sure how goos the current 20% of at gmg are but I won't buy it for now. I will just set aside the money and wait.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I actually have a second monitor right here but I don't use it on my desk because my desk is cluttered with papers and stuff I am afraid to be called a nerd.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Aw man judging from what I just read this game will suffer from microtransactions badly.

Apparently you can upgrade your gear or character with cards you find. These cards need "charges" though, and these charges can either be you guessed it, bought, or "found on the map" . I hope it is as optional as buying battlepacks, but it doesn't sound like it.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah looks like it. Apparently Special Chars (e.g. Leia, Vader, Palpatine) drop upgrades for your faction. Some of these upgrades seem to be upgrades for your character and some for your weapon or are charges, that was very vague out of context.
Then you "equip" said upgrade and then your have to charge it. Charges can be bought or found.

However, I have no idea whether a charge lasts for 1 round, 1 session or whatever. It also did not say anything regarding how many charges you find at once etc.
Potentially this can get very annoying.

Also this gem: Both ducking and zooming in have no effect on your accuracy. Arcadey as he'll it seems.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
It seems the upgrades are equipment/character cards that go into slots and are persistent but they need to be charged. So I guess you keep a card forever but need to charge it to use it. Which is even worse, have a cool thing and grind/pay to be able to use it.

KiddieGrinder posted:

Also for the ducking and iron sights, you sure that wasn't just a thing from the old Battlefront games? Have to bear in mind this is Battlefront, not Battlefield in Space.

Note sure what you mean, that this is normal in Battelfront games? I never played the old ones.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
*derp*

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Welp it's worse than I thought. However, I will still buy this game. Just not sure when. Pre-order is not an option.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
It seems all pre-ordering gets you is early unlock of stuff.

http://gamepreorders.com/star-wars-battlefront

quote:

Pre-order bonuses

Pre-order Star Wars: Battlefront at any participating retailer to get access to the Battle of Jakku DLC one week before the public release on December 8. This free downloadable content includes two maps on the desert planet of Jakku, which is featured in the upcoming Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens movie.

As for exclusive bonuses, GameStop is offering a double-sided poster with all editions of the game (according to the website, quantities are very limited).
Deluxe Edition

The $69.99 Deluxe Edition grants instant access to DL-44 blaster, Ion Grenade, and Ion Torpedo in-game items. The player also gains Ion Shock and Victory exclusive emotes. Available on all platforms (PC version is exclusive to Origin).

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Zeike posted:

DONT Pre-order!!!!

I know, I was just telling the guy above me who said he wants camo armor or whatever he thought he would get that he won't so no use in preordering.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
We should all make a pact to only buy this once it costs 20€/$ or less. :tinfoil:

Actually can't we just set up a Battlefront 2 server?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Remote User posted:

Fwiw, the matchmaking was solid, and fast. When you hit join game, you're inside of a game, with zero lag, in a matter of seconds. I understand that's not entirely forgivable, but it's definitely serviceable.

As far as micro transactions, I couldn't care less, it'll have no effect on the game. During alpha, there was no server browsing, no extras, no accuracy while zoomed, and I still put in 19 hours of Walker Assault without growing tired of it.

There won't be more accuracy from crouching or zooming in the final game either. This seems to be a pro-tier "casual" game.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

KiddieGrinder posted:

It's difficult to say because they've (DICE) been very coy with all these details, probably because they know it will piss everyone off.

From what people have mentioned, heard, gathered, or speculated on; it's something to do with loot card type item upgrades, which you earn playing the game (or buy with real money if you want?), but to actually use these upgrades they need to be charged somehow. That may involve using a points system (for real money, or earned in game), or something else, no one is 100% sure afaik.

Again, DICE are being very cagey on all this stuff, and would rather show us pretty pictures to shut us up and get idiots to pre-order (like a few itt) first, before unleashing the bad news.

Basically this yes.
Charging your loot card upgrades is achieved by using a "charge". These charges can either be found on the map or purchased for real money. Unclear is how long one charge lasts and how easy they are to find on a map. (One round/session/day?)
So currently there is no way to say how much of a factor buying charges is.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Eyud posted:

I'm pretty excited for this game. I preordered it.

Excitement is fine. Reordering is not the bright choice. Both EA and Dice don't deserve money upfront judging from the past.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

nrr posted:

is there a single game that any of you actually like that isn't doe eyed nostalgic bullshit

GTA 5, Shadow of Mordor, AC: Black Flag, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Deus Ex: HR, Sleeping Dogs, Dark Souls

2 of these are based on popular licenses that are not originally games, i.e. LotR and Shadowrun, and guess what, they made good games using the license. It is possible

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

nrr posted:

Heads up, the alpha was actually fun and this hasn't even hit beta yet, so there's a very good chance that this game is actually not a complete dumpster fire. but even if it is, do you know what its going to be better than? reading pages and pages of you nerds' aggressive overreacting and hard done by bullshit while you piss and moan about something that's probably going to be completely different to what you're made up bullshit ideas are.

toodles

Sorry I can't back up those "made up bullshit ideas" without violating an NDA.

You know what is also very simple and way better than "reading pages and pages of you nerds' aggressive overreacting and hard done by bullshit while you piss and moan about something that's probably going to be completely different to what you're made up bullshit ideas are."?
Not being a dick and/or not reading this thread.

Coincidentally, I never said this game was going to be all poo poo. It just reeks of casual with very basic features missing and an air of pay 2 win.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Raged posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

I'm not even going to insult you. You are doing a drat fine job of it yourself.

What do you call a game that has such stunning features as a zoom function without accuracy benefit, or a ducking one, which does not either? And the amazingly shallow flight mechanics we saw in the closed beta? And apparently lacks class or even squad system?

If you have a better word than "causal game" for this please share your wisdom.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

Not a Battlefield game? I mean, you pretty much described UT2004 with that list.

The key is UT2004. Nostalgia is not a reason modern games should not be better.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
These things are not just a thing in Battlefield.

:siren: Car analogy :siren: If I tried to sell you a car without aircon and you said "why does it not have aircon?" and I answered "It's not a Ford" I don't think you would accept that, seeing as many other car brands also have aircon.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

The Duggler posted:

I wouldn't accept it? I'd just not buy the car

I mean accept the argument. "It is not a Battelfield game" is not a valid argument in reference to flaws that are standard in games of similar genre (e.g. having a server browser)

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Spot on.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

The Duggler posted:

Well you see the thing is that you don't have to buy it if it doesn't appeal to you

Imagine the next iPhone was presented with a shoddy plastic case and a poo poo resolution.

What if the next BMW had plastic interior and only managed 60 mph?

People would go apeshit. And why? Because a certain standard is expected of products of a certain category.

Why is it OK and should be accepted if software is not up to current standards and expectations if it would never be ok with other products?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
As is apparent in this thread, it is even more important to educate people who actually care enough about games to spent :10bux: to post in a GAMES forum and still don't seem to understand that the current practices of EA and Ubisoft are wrong or even do understand but think being quiet about is the right thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Again, this is a very exaggerated analogy. I think it might be closer to think "Why didn't my BMW come with both a Bluetooth audio receiver and a 6-CD changer in the trunk? It's only got BT. Wtf."

Personally I think at worst it's going to be an "okay" game that I'll play for 4-5 months.

Agreed however, not having a server browser is more akin to having a car with a fully fledged board computer but no integrated Nav System.
And iPhone without E-Mail functionality

• Locked thread