Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
I seem to also recall someone confirming that battlelog will not be used for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Icept posted:

How, of all Battlefield related games, is this the one that DOESN'T get singleplayer? The one where every drooling idiot and his kid will go DERR WANT TO BE IN DA MOVIES and smack his controller with his lightsaber toy? Seriously, their decision making is hilarious sometimes.

Personally I'm happy with this. I don't think they'd be able to create a decent story for a campaign, so I'm glad they won't even try. Hopefully it means more resources spent on better gameplay. I'm sure there will be a slew of new Star Wars games with great single player only stories on the horizon, so no need to fret.

Segmentation Fault posted:

Yes, I love dealing with battlefield constantly opening and closing making me reload assets whenever I want to switch servers, browser incompatibility issues, battlelog errors, pointless social media emulation that nobody bothers with...

I completely agree. I'm sure they can make a functional browser in the game that does the job just fine, and we won't have to suffer from reloading the whole loving game just to switch servers.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
That's true, I guess it's just :dice:?

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Let's face it - this is going to end up being a bad movie tie-in game with some above average graphics and poo poo gameplay.

You shut your whore mouth this instant.

This will be GOTY 2015, just you wait and see! :colbert:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

FrancoFish posted:

if I can't run around with an AT-AT anywhere on the map I'm not buying it.

And get it clipped on a bush or a mailbox or something so it flips up in to the air and flies across the map.

edit: also I think they verified no skirmish, but there will be these 'mission' things, which will have bots (co-op or single player must have bots, otherwise who are the bad guys, right?), so that should be a compromise everyone will be happy with. :gbsmith:

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Apr 20, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
I think people wanted a skirmish mode, which is just as you described, not so much a full fledged campaign/story mode. I think skirmish mode was in both Battlefront games thus far, but I could be wrong.

Hopefully the missions thing will be enough to satisfy single players.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
If the game looks like poo poo and you prefer Battlefront 2 then just play that instead. :nallears:

Rusty posted:

Anyway, I will be happy if it's BF4 with a new skins and maps and better graphics. I like Dice games when the servers work.

I agree, I think it's looking like a lot of fun. I skipped Hardline (even though the beta was somewhat fun, sort of) because I wanted to save my FPS energy for this, and the trailer hasn't disappointed me.

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 23, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they released the cover of the "deluxe" edition. I kinda dig it.

That lens is chrome, not black. :colbert:

Also I wonder at E3 will we see other Star Wars games? I'm hesitant to commit to buying (that sounds weird) Battlefront, because there might be another Star Wars games even better waiting in the wings.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

xyigx posted:

Yes there will be other starwars games (at least 3 that I know of should be announced) but none in the style of battlefront that I am aware of.

Yes probably no other shooters, but that's what I mean. Will there be an awesome looking Star Wars RPG announced, which I'd prefer over a shooter? A Star Wars adventure game? So many questions! :ohdear:

Hopper posted:

Lego episode 7 I guess

Please no. :negative:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Anyone else find it weird that the imperials and the rebels use the exact same weapons? Or was that just me having a brain fart?

I could swear they looked exactly alike in a couple videos I watched, which was really strange. I guess it's in the name of balance but still, bit odd. Anyone in the alpha confirm?

It does look fun, especially Hoth, but as others mentioned the X-wings and Ties buzzing constantly over-head like angry bees looks a bit lame. Maybe less planes for both sides would make it less of a mess?

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
I think there were health bars, and guys took 4-7 shots to down.

For the hoth map it looked like there were quite a few 'uplinks' that the rebels needed to control to stop the empire from proceeding, I think they allow Y-wings to come down and bomb the at-ats.

But then I'm not in the alpha so I could be completely wrong. It seemed like the uplinks weren't a free for all, only one was active at a time, so that focused the action to a particular place. Of course it seemed like uplinks were taken over pretty quickly (a few seconds maybe?) when a player was near them, so that also means the action moves around a lot.

It was a while ago when I watched those videos, maybe another goon can chime in with what they saw from OTHER VIDEOS only.... :wink:

From what I do remember though it looked pretty frantic and fun, only a couple things disappointed me so far (does every player have jetpacks or what, and both sides using the same weapons). Everything else you could read about months ago and is old news.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Zaphod42 posted:

Its :dice: You do not want the single player they would give you. Its best for everybody they stick to multi.

This guy knows what's up.

I'm sure there will be a Star Wars fps game eventually, built from the ground up with single player in mind (new Jedi Knight perhaps?), and that will be great. No point being upset over a lovely half baked single player 'campaign' being tacked on to a Battlefieldfront game, which would have sucked just like all the previous Battlefield campaigns have.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I've sunk thousands and thousands of hours into all 3 rogue squadron games, and this is definitely meant to be the spiritual successor. As soon as I see flyable Y-wings I'll probably turn into a drooling idiot, take off a couple days of PTO, and preorder this fuckin game.

Might not want to hold your breath there. If I recall correctly, in the beta Hoth map Y-wings only came in as some sort of 'bomber strike' pickup boost whatever thing.

Of course might be different, but I can't imagine they'd add them considering they're basically not 'fun' enough for this crowd to bother with. But who knows, I might be wrong!

Also I'm a bit puzzled, this new flight mode is basically space battles, but not in space? :confused:

Would it be that hard to simply throw up a space backdrop and announce "Space battles ARE IN!"?

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 5, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

ShineDog posted:

Watch the films again, fighters shown in first person fire angled shots all the time.

Yup.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Zaphod42 posted:

But for Battlefield where I know the flying is gonna be janky and I'm going to have a hard as hell time just staying in the air and not crashing, having some gimbal'd lasers sounds just dandy.

I agree, especially since it's more accurate to what we saw in the films (intentionally or not).

Reminds me how other games handle firing speed of TIE fighters. In the movies they're burst or rapid fire, but in the games they were slow as hell. I want them to shoot like in the movies damnit! :arghfist::mad:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

A full round of Walker Assault from the Imperial side.

I really hope the aircraft controls aren't War Thunder-style on the PS4 or if there's at least an option to use a more classic dual-stick style.

This was the highlight for me. Guys in the rebel base, rebel comes near the entrance starts shooting him, nearly dead the imperial activates his shield and stops firing (I guess he can't if the shield is up?), and the AT-AT finishes the rebel off. :allears:

Also here he gets a TIE powerup and there's some flying action. I'm curious what that meter is above your health, it looks like it's some sort of speed vs accuracy slider? Like it's showing you you're either maneuverable and fast, or you're slower but shoot better? And it changes dynamically? :shrug:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Zaphod42 posted:

I actually kinda like the idea of picking up a TIE powerup and then just spawning in-air ready to go in a TIE fighter, as goofy and unrealistic as that is. Everybody standing around the base waiting for aircraft to spawn so they can race each other to get in first and then take off, and then end up getting shot while taking off, is pretty lame and happens like 90% of the time in BF4 when it comes to aircraft.

Is it weird my favorite bit of that was at the beginning, the wipe transition that's lifted straight from the movies? I thought it was a really nice touch. :sun:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

The Duggler posted:

It was the last stage of the level, using mostly the pistol

Like some kind of Imperial Han Solo, loved it.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

drunkill posted:

They will probably be playable in one of the dlc packs. Along with space battles.

This is something I still don't get, with the revelation of the flying only battle mode, how much harder would it have been to just remove the ground and add a space skybox? Voila, you have space battles.

Make the map pretty drat large, (is that the problem perhaps? A really large map?), add a star destroyer on one side and some rebel's ship on the other, bingo done easy.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

Does this game use battlelog on pc?

In name, no. In quality/features, probably yes.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Ugh, I wouldn't mind micro-transactions for cosmetic stuff (basically Team Fortress 2 style), but for upgrades is just awful, what a shame. Even in TF2 if your crate contains a weapon or whatever at least you have it forever, not some limited use bullshit.

Also for the ducking and iron sights, you sure that wasn't just a thing from the old Battlefront games? Have to bear in mind this is Battlefront, not Battlefield in Space.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Sith Happens posted:

Beta incoming:

quote:

the Star Wars Battlefront Companion experience features the strategic card game Base Command, and lets you earn in-game Credits that unlock Star Cards, weapons, and more in Star Wars Battlefront.

Ehhhh. :flaccid:

So this confirms there are going to be micro-transactions up the rear end then, because anything that "unlocks" in a game these days means you can also buy them with real money. This is pretty disappointing news, I mean I know people already said there were micro-transactions but I don't know if anyone knew the extent. "Star Cards, weapons, and more" means there will be a lot of opportunities to nickle and dime us.

Plus these Star Cards must be the things that need recharging to be of any actual use, what a shame.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

10 Beers posted:

So, are the microtransactions like in Battlefield, where it's basically just shortcuts to unlock a group of weapons? Or is it like the only way to unlock actual content is to pay real money, and there's no other way to get it?

It's difficult to say because they've (DICE) been very coy with all these details, probably because they know it will piss everyone off.

From what people have mentioned, heard, gathered, or speculated on; it's something to do with loot card type item upgrades, which you earn playing the game (or buy with real money if you want?), but to actually use these upgrades they need to be charged somehow. That may involve using a points system (for real money, or earned in game), or something else, no one is 100% sure afaik.

Again, DICE are being very cagey on all this stuff, and would rather show us pretty pictures to shut us up and get idiots to pre-order (like a few itt) first, before unleashing the bad news.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

The Duggler posted:

I wouldn't accept it? I'd just not buy the car

Which is hopefully what people who are dissatisfied with missing features do with Battlefront 3. But I doubt it, and I won't even bother quoting that "boycott Call of Duty" Steam group picture.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Eonwe posted:

is anyone actually boycotting this game or judt saying it looks like a dumb piece of poo poo

dogstile posted:

Why does not buying poo poo have to be boycotting?

Oh no I didn't mean to suggest there was a boycott, not at all. I just think/hope PC gamers will be the lowest percentage of players when it gets released, and maybe EA realizes they shouldn't treat us like garbage. :colbert:

edit: and by "us" I mean PC gamers and gamers in general as well, with micro-transactions for in-game advantages and no dedicated servers being the biggest culprits.

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 8, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Laserface posted:

if you play games on a computer and get mad that games dont cater to your specific desires for hyper realism in a fantasy space shooter game, then probably not.

Slimy marketing deception, micro-transactions up the rear end, and no dedicated servers=hyper realism

icantfindaname posted:

its going to be a absolutely bog standard, CoD-ified console shooter with star wars poo poo plastered everywhere. no more, no less. if you're in the habit of spending $60 for such games, buy it, otherwise don't

This guy knows what's up, listen to him.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Boru posted:

They should of done a spirtual successor to Republic Commando; a Rainbow Six-lite squad shooter centered around Rogue Squadron, or a Bothan spy team or some poo poo. That woulda been sick.

That's the thing I think a lot of people are hoping/wondering about, why no more Star Wars games? It's this and that lovely mobile phone game, yay! :confused:

The only thing I can come up with is EA does have more games in development, but they want all the suckersfans to buy Battlefront 3 first, and then next year when everyone starts to get bored of it reveal another Star Wars game.

We can hope Visceral Games has something cool up its sleeve.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Hadlock posted:

I'm still holding out that they will have a server browser for PC, and dedicated servers. And the option to do 64 player servers.

lol bless your heart. :allears:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Hopper posted:

Why is it OK and should be accepted if software is not up to current standards and expectations if it would never be ok with other products?

Not only that, but I think for a lot of the entertainment industry sales numbers alone don't show the whole story. So to say "just don't buy it and vote with your wallet, that will show them!" doesn't really work.

Especially for modern video games, because there are a lot of ignorant people out there who don't check gaming news websites daily, who don't keep up on all the latest tiny tidbits of information reddit has to hack out of the alpha client (iirc that was how the micro-transaction fiasco really came to light, not because EA told us, but some redditor reported it). Most people don't know about this stuff, and will gladly cough up seventy dollars for the game when it comes out, only then to find out all the drawbacks and issues they had no idea about.

Hell they don't do demos any more, which really pisses me off. In fact the game news websites made such a big deal of Company of Heroes II British expansion having a limited amount (!) of demo keys available, like it was the second coming or something. In my day almost every game had a demo! :corsair:

Basically EA is a smart company, with a big PR division, who knows what they're doing. They're drip feeding only the good information to the masses, and leaving the worse to be revealed last minute as a footnote after all the suckers have already ponied up the dough. I bet they'll have a press embargo until release, so no reviews until it's literally on store shelves.

So us complaining about it and being vocal is actually helping more than just not buying it, we're trying to educate people here!

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

The Duggler posted:

I get and agree with what you're saying that these things (no private dedicated servers, microtransactions, 40 player limit)need to be rejected but who exactly are you trying to send a message to by issuing sick burns to EA and DICE in this thread?

Other goons I guess? :shrug:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

icantfindaname posted:

i haven't played any battlefield/DICE games since early in BF3's lifespan. are they distinguishable at all from call of duty at this point, or is the transformation process complete?

I think what separates Battlefield from CoD is bigger maps, more players, and vehicles.

However, with Battlefront 3 vehicles only exist as powerups, very similar to CoD. Coupled with the smaller player count (compared to Battlefield) and the no dedicated/browsable servers, I guess Battlefront 3 is edging closer?

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Wait, maybe I have been missing marketing copy, but are you saying that BF has scorestreaks now? God dammit

No, I think the powerups were just scattered on the map iirc. In the leaked gameplay footage the guy just found them around the map, activated it, and then vrrooom he was flying around or whatever. I don't know if they had any relation to his kills or not.

If I'm wrong someone please correct me!

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That would make sense, also nice not having an object to have to deal with on the server side if it is just empty anyways.

Personally I think it's worse, I mean if someone wants to spend more time flying or riding vehicles they can't just wait in spawn area for them to appear and hop in. They have to just play and hope that a vehicle "icon" pops up somewhere near them, which removes a lot of the choice in what you can do.

It also, for me at least, makes vehicles seem more like random reward "powerups" than a part of the core game mechanics. You want to fly a TIE fighter? Tough poo poo, you better just keep playing shooty mans and pray to the gods that you get lucky.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Personally I think it's better because I was always that guy sitting on the runway in BF1942 waiting for the bomber and I'd always somehow get killed and respawn to watch it fly away. If you don't wanna fly, you don't need to pick up the token.

It's amazing to me how extremely polarized this thread is getting. :munch:

For me it was camping a spawn for ten minutes, looking away for a second, and then seeing my plane/tank go off with some other bastard in the driver's seat. :argh:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

hhhat posted:

Meaning what, if I press W they move forward, and if I point my mouse at things and click then it shoots them? Because that's how I want to 'pilot' them

I don't think even that, I think you purely aim the guns and pew pew.

I think there are two people who get to partake, and one gets the bigger guns and the other the smaller more rapid blasters. That, or it's one person who does both and switches manually between the two. Either way it's basically the overhead gunship from Battlefield/CoD; a brief automatic moving turret sequence.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

hhhat posted:

So it isn't like the original battlefield where you drove the tank then? Are any of them that are driven, cause it seems like they are in the video i've seen. The one video at least. Never played CoD because I'm not a casual.

Well the other vehicles are driven in the traditional sense yes, the AT-ST, the snow speeder, TIE fighters, etc.

Just the AT-AT is treated as a special turret mechanic, which is probably the best they could do in my opinion.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
The question itself is pretty cut and dry:

quote:

PlayStation LifeStyle: [...] So is the skill-based matchmaking going to use peer-to-peer connections or can players expect dedicated servers?

Jamie Keen: We’ll still have dedicated servers. Absolutely. It’s one of the hallmarks of making sure we deliver an unparalled [sic] online servers for the game.

So yeah it basically means DICE will have their own servers, which was never an issue/complaint. The problem is people being able to host their own servers, which is what most people (as far as I know) mean when they say "dedicated servers" in relation to games.

The much better question Playstation LifeStyle should have asked (or rather the question EA publicists should have written for them) would have been: "Why not let players host or rent their own servers?"

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Hadlock posted:

I saw this over in the BF4 thread but was shocked that it isn't mentioned here

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/star-wars-battlefront-will-have-dedicated-servers/

I've been thinking about my workload at work this fall and also that I'll probably be switching companies at the end of the year and I just don't think I have time to manage a dedicated server (WookWook :wookie:) this year :(. I'm happy to endorse/consult someone, and lend access to the https://www.bfgoons.com URL and whatever webserver/mumble needs you have.

I think you've got it wrong, as optimistic as it may sound I don't think he's saying what you think he's saying.

He's saying EA/DICE will have servers that players connect and play on (instead of some sort of peer to peer connections), he's not saying players will be able to rent/host their own servers for players to connect and play on.

And it was mentioned here, a couple pages back. But most people seem to agree it's basically a misunderstanding of the term "dedicated servers", most players were using it to mean servers that the community could host and connect to, browse, have special events/maps, rules, communities, etc. But it doesn't mean that, it simply means a server that exists purely for people to connect to and play games on.

I mentioned it before, but the question journalists should be asking is "What about hosting your own server?", to which you'd probably get some bullshit PR spin non answer.

Battlefront 3 will have dedicated server support probably in the same way World of Warcraft does.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Keiya posted:

... an alpha is broken? Really? I never would have expected a build specifically made to find bugs in to be buggy!

loving hell, first 'beta' was turned into 'prerelease demo', and now alpha is on the way to that too... do people expect perfectly flawless software from the moment it's first written? WE DO TESTING FOR A REASON.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that this beta is indeed for marketing research as well as stress testing the servers. I bet 1% of people will submit bug reports during the open test, and even that is being generous.

Let's be honest, the upcoming open beta will end October 12th (five whole days of intense bug detecting!), and the game will be on store shelves the 17th of the next month. That would give DICE thirty-six days to fix whatever bugs they find, which isn't much time, especially if there is anything seriously broken as this anonymous source suggests.

Not to mention we're getting the same map again, as well as the same Walker Assault mode. The only new thing that I can see is this Drop Zone mode on Sullust, which I believe wasn't in the alpha a couple months ago.

So basically this open beta won't be testing anything other than the servers, and EA's marketing department. It's probably more accurate to call it a demo, considering how limited the tests are and how close the game is to release.

And as a disclaimer I think that Youtube video is rubbish, not only because it's just some guy talking over an unrelated game, but any article or video citing an anonymous source with very vague terms ("it's really broken...") doesn't mean much to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
I wonder if they'll be beta testing the charge card loot system too.

• Locked thread