Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

He didn't do any of it on the show because it was a prime MTV show and was watched by little kids, including little me, but yeah dudes like Trent irl smoke loads of pot and gently caress high school girls.

he wasn't real fyi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

he wasn't real fyi

Noo

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

he wasn't real fyi

la
la
laaaa
laa
la

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Zeno-25 posted:

Did girls actually wear those huge ugly Peggy Hill boots in the 90s?

Yes, they are called Doc Martens and they were huge with counter-culture type chicks back then.

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
big boots are sexy and if you disagree you're probably some fucko with a foot fetish

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nefarious posted:

big boots are sexy and if you disagree you're probably some fucko with a foot fetish

I'm actually gay so whatever but those waffle stompers were before my time, thank god. Only goth people wore stuff like that by the mid 00s. Also 90s grunge is way better than goth poo poo from what I have seen.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Zeno-25 posted:

I'm actually gay so whatever but those waffle stompers were before my time, thank god. Only goth people wore stuff like that by the mid 00s. Also 90s grunge is way better than goth poo poo from what I have seen.

actually, whats it like to be wrong kiddo?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

just looking at these ugly stiff cartoon people irritates me. god

coolskull fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 22, 2015

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
watching people try to explain 90s cartoons is like watching your stoner friend talk about...anything

you kind of want to know, but the sheer attitude displayed makes you glad 9/11 happened.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

satanic splash-back posted:

Those boots are ugly as gently caress irl

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Zeno-25 posted:

Those boots are ugly as gently caress irl

satanic splash-back posted:

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Secks Cauldron posted:

Easiest Halloween costume I've ever done.

Same. Any excuse to wear flat shoes and glasses on a night out.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

how come no one ever cosplays as Mr. Demartino?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

He didn't do any of it on the show because it was a prime MTV show and was watched by little kids, including little me, but yeah dudes like Trent irl smoke loads of pot and gently caress high school girls.

Trent was just supposed to be the unreachable pedestal boy for Daria so it doesn't matter if he wasn't made to look like a douche or even overly fleshed out. They could've easily made him skeevy if it was what they were going for, there were plenty of skeevy characters on Daria. Like that weird little red headed dude everyone hated. He was just meant to be the really cool guy who was the only one Daria would lose her composure around. She didn't have to learn a lesson about how he was a douche, he was already flawed in that he was lazy and aimless and probably not going anywhere in life.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

if you're unable in any way to sympathize with daria, you probably peaked in high school

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

lol I forgot about him

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
This thread makes me want to gently caress cartoons real bad.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i had a dream about this stupid cartoon last night. gently caress you op.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Business Octopus posted:

The evolution of the forums has been from goons being daria to goons being Daria but being self aware and self hating.

i think this is backwards. goons seem far more cynical and far less aware of their cynical nature than they used to be

wonder what show i enjoyed that i wasn't supposed to next week?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

mind the walrus posted:

Bingo. She's correct a lot of the time but no one gives a gently caress because she's callous and has no interest in making others look good unless they can invalidate her cynicism about the world which is fundamentally impossible. That central angst is like tattooed on the inside of every Goon's right ventricle.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
If you were a teenager when this show was on, you were probably like "Oh man, Daria's right everybody is a bunch of phonies."

But if you are a goddamn grown up now, rewatch the show, and think she is anything but a miserable loser, you've got some developmental problems, pendejo.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

maybe if you forget how much of high school really was bullshit. imo parents forget that school is like prison and then are shocked when teens act just as angsty as they did. a couple decades removed from it wipes that from your mind and it doesnt seem so bad

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

esp considering by the time ppl have teens theyve had a lot more years getting poisoned by chemtrails and brainwashed by television commercials, so they dont realize their kids arent as much of sheeple and are less willing to put up with it

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

TEAYCHES posted:

esp considering by the time ppl have teens theyve had a lot more years getting poisoned by chemtrails and brainwashed by television commercials, so they dont realize their kids arent as much of sheeple and are less willing to put up with it

Wow, my eyes are open to the machinations of my corporate masters

*fart*

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ElGroucho posted:

If you were a teenager when this show was on, you were probably like "Oh man, Daria's right everybody is a bunch of phonies."

But if you are a goddamn grown up now, rewatch the show, and think she is anything but a miserable loser, you've got some developmental problems, pendejo.

i think she's a pretty normal teenager actually, and her reactions to her suburban, vacuous environment are not an inaccurate depiction.

daria's acerbic nature is played up a bit for comic relief, it's not meant to be real. it's just a show dude calm down

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

whats vacuous about growing up in a suburb in the 90s??

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

TEAYCHES posted:

whats vacuous about growing up in a suburb in the 90s??

I guess we should all feel sorry for the poor rich white girl living in the mansion

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
GBS is Daria.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

ElGroucho posted:

I guess we should all feel sorry for the poor rich white girl living in the mansion

buddha was a wealthy prince before finding enlightenment, we can empathize with anyone.. we do not choose the circumstances of our birth, friend

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

TEAYCHES posted:

buddha was a wealthy prince before finding enlightenment, we can empathize with anyone.. we do not choose the circumstances of our birth, friend

You've changed my life

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I am enlightened by the TEACHES of TEAYCHES.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Typical Pubbie posted:

This thread makes me want to gently caress cartoons real bad.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

TEAYCHES posted:

namaste

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

TEAYCHES posted:

maybe if you forget how much of high school really was bullshit. imo parents forget that school is like prison and then are shocked when teens act just as angsty as they did. a couple decades removed from it wipes that from your mind and it doesnt seem so bad

Doesn't wipe poo poo, you grow up and realise that being an adult is a lot worse, fortunately you can always become an alcoholic, a drug addict or just kill yourself.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

theperminator posted:

Doesn't wipe poo poo, you grow up and realise that being an adult is a lot worse, fortunately you can always become an alcoholic, a drug addict or just kill yourself.

im enjoying being an adult way more than i ever enjoyed being a kid. if you're not then im sorry your a failure who peaked in high school.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
depends on your job.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Christopher Walken could do a pretty good DeMartino cosplay.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Ehud posted:

lol I forgot about him

If you cant watch the show for Mr Demartino then youre a stupid loving rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

son gay. so what
Mar 13, 2011
Daria in Italian is lol

• Locked thread