Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

a7m2 posted:

same except hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The dumb thing is how they have like four squad cars and twenty cops to arrest single pedophiles. You'd need one maybe two cops tops to do this poo poo.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

BottledBodhisvata posted:

There's no point quibbling the legality of it, the show's within its legal rights. It's just...really unsettling, and I'm not sure why. There's just something about what they are doing and how they are doing it that feels wrong, even if they are targeting an "acceptable" target. The fact is, nothing any of the men caught on the show say will ever be believed, because overwhelmingly the trust is on the side of the ones doing the capturing.

It's weird that this was presented as "news" in any way. This was basically a new version of Cops--an opportunity to gawk as people are arrested and humiliated on camera.
Of course it's unsettling: we're feeding people to the lions on national tv. They can be as guilty as the day is long and it wouldn't matter. It's still totally monstrous to destroy lives for the entertainment of the mob.

That's not to say I didn't gobble up every episode that was fed to me. I did and I enjoyed every bite, but holy moly are we ever part of a hosed up culture

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

maybe this wasn't Hansen but weren't cops also posing as of-age decoys with "younger siblings" and using really vague language about who was home at the time of the invitation and charging them on corrupting a minor?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Groovelord Neato posted:

The dumb thing is how they have like four squad cars and twenty cops to arrest single pedophiles. You'd need one maybe two cops tops to do this poo poo.

No man, these kiddy fiddlers can be killers. Anything less than a full regiment of national guard is a tame and measured response.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

I'm not reading all of that. Should just say, "Cops can murder whomever they want, it's not illegal. For example, every time a cop murders somebody they get away with it."

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

those ACLU "what to do if you get pulled over" videos are hilarious because the cops are like hmm yes i have a nuanced view on my gravely important function in society and have a basic understanding of the constitution, you got me, have a nice day

has it ever worked for anyone?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

those ACLU "what to do if you get pulled over" videos are hilarious because the cops are like hmm yes i have a nuanced view on my gravely important function in society and have a basic understanding of the constitution, you got me, have a nice day

has it ever worked for anyone?

I was only shot in the head 3 times instead of 4 times.

The FBI likes to put ads in Craigslist that says, "Find out how you can murder people FOR FREE!" and then they make up a story about how the schizophrenic that thought they were unicorn robots is actually the leader of ISIS.

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Of course it's unsettling: we're feeding people to the lions on national tv. They can be as guilty as the day is long and it wouldn't matter. It's still totally monstrous to destroy lives for the entertainment of the mob.

Counterpoint: gently caress 'em

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Doctor Schnabel posted:

That's not to say I didn't gobble up every episode that was fed to me. I did and I enjoyed every bite, but holy moly are we ever part of a hosed up culture

I voluntarily take part in something I find morally wrong that I am in no way coerced to do, but it's definitely culture's fault, and not my own.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

But you're taking a vigilante group and Dateline's word for it. I'm not doubting that there is evidence, but in a nation of laws and a judicial system that ostensibly respects "innocent until proven guilty" it's sort of alarming to see so many people willing to rapidly convict these individuals without any due process. I'm sure most if not all of them could be taken at face value, but it's a very weird precedent to take when we're just allowing television programs to start doing police work and then broadcasting it, especially when they're engaging in as sordid sting operations as these.

...are you trying to suggest that they are making the chatlogs up? Because that sounds like the kind of thing that gets a case thrown out of court and makes you lose millions of dollars in a lawsuit.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 22, 2015

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

raditts posted:

Because that sounds like the kind of thing that gets a case thrown out of court and makes you lose millions of dollars in a lawsuit.

The former happened alot. The latter only happened once and that's when the dude blew his brains out and said he didn't want to come in the first place.

Overall, keep Perverted Justice out of it and just do it with cops and it would be cool

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I voluntarily take part in something I find morally wrong that I am in no way coerced to do, but it's definitely culture's fault, and not my own.
i'm sorry to hear that, friend :[

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

please get help before it's too late :(

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

NutritiousSnack posted:

The former happened alot. The latter only happened once and that's when the dude blew his brains out and said he didn't want to come in the first place.

Overall, keep Perverted Justice out of it and just do it with cops and it would be cool

I can find literally nothing suggesting that chatlogs were ever falsified. I feel like that would have been a big enough deal that I wouldn't read about it for the first time on an internet forum 10 years later.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Yeah, the chat logs were faked and random pervs just happened to show up with Mike's Hard Lemonade, condoms, and lube looking for kids to bang. How coincidental.

I personally love the moments when you see the guys realize their lives are over.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Did anyone ever show up with a murder kit?

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax

Germstore posted:

Did anyone ever show up with a murder kit?

A guy definitely showed up with rope and duct tape, but I won't kink shame.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Did Ashton Kutcher ever try to punk To Catch a Predator? Or Alan Funt or someone tried to pull a Candid Camera on the show to prank Chris Hansen and try to get him flustered?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Leon Einstein posted:

Yeah, the chat logs were faked and random pervs just happened to show up with Mike's Hard Lemonade, condoms, and lube looking for kids to bang. How coincidental.

I personally love the moments when you see the guys realize their lives are over.

I have these things in my car anyway. You never know when it will be time to party

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

raditts posted:

I can find literally nothing suggesting that chatlogs were ever falsified. I feel like that would have been a big enough deal that I wouldn't read about it for the first time on an internet forum 10 years later.

They weren't, a bunch of people in this thread are saying untrue things (like the terrorists being caught and poo poo).

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

raditts posted:

That's because the courts refused to allow anything from the suspect's computer to be used as evidence in court. They just took their word that the chat logs were real.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
This dude is the worst one. This might be the stupidest man alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVLT26CMzk4

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

City of Tampa posted:

This dude is the worst one. This might be the stupidest man alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVLT26CMzk4
Looks like he really filled out in the 8 years that passed since then :shobon:

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Looks like he really filled out in the 8 years that passed since then :shobon:

This says the only crime he's been convicted of is child molestation. This proves my point To Catch A Predator is full of lies, or they let him molest a child.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
that video is from 2007 and the conviction was in 2010. wouldn't that just mean his case got dropped for the same reason as everyone elses and then he molested someone 3+ years later

edit: wait his registration is 4 years after his conviction; is that just state by state or county by county thing

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The story's actually a little more interesting than that:

quote:

Cody Michael Green posted bond after his arrest when he showed up at our sting house. He was still awaiting trial a year later when he was re-arrested for exposing himself to an 8-year-old at a swimming pool. He was charged with child molestation in that case, which of course revoked his bond on his previous arrest. Cody went to jail, went directly to jail, and did not collect $200.

Cody finally decided to plead guilty in our case, and received a sentence of three years in prison followed by 12 years on probation and registration as a sex offender.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Doctor Schnabel posted:

The story's actually a little more interesting than that:

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

raditts posted:

You misunderstood my meaning. They'd improperly get more than a few of those idiots to incriminate themselves and ask for sex repeatably or bring up and "pressure" for sex sex first, meaning a LOT of technicalities could get brought up and one county literally throw out every case To Catch a Predator brought to police attention.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 23, 2015

• Locked thread