Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
I replaced a mobo from 2010 and a CPU from 2011 a couple days ago with an AMD FX 6300 and a GA-990FXA-UD3. I'm not really great with computers so it was a rough start, but I eventually got everything hooked up and booted after a while, and most of of the problems stopped after I switched the SATA to IDE and got all the mobo's drivers installed.

Strange thing is, I'm still getting a sudden and unexplained restart every once in a while. No bluescreen, no performance dip, just suddenly it restarts. I thought maybe it was an overheating problem, but CoreTemp says it's all fine. I thought maybe it was a processing problem with the CPU, but then I played GTAV just fine for like six hours and shut down the computer with nothing happening, only for the computer to restart twenty minutes after turning it on next time just to browse the internet.

I'm lost. I know there's a lot of possibilities with a new motherboard and a new CPU, but ... ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
What's the brand and model of your power supply and videocard? Also, not to be a jerk but it really would have helped to check the parts picking megathread before making your purchase.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
I've got a GeForce GTX 760 that I've been using about a year now (maybe a little less?) and a Corsair VX 550 PSU for a little longer.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
That's a pretty good quality power supply, the lower-end VX unites have a bad reputation but the 550W model is fine, do make sure both power cables are connected (24+4 and 4+4, so 4 total cables). Overall I'd run Crystal Disk Info (Portable Edition ZIP doesn't have anime or ads) to verify the health of your harddrives and confirm that the system can complete at least one pass of Memtest86+ without errors. If so, update to the latest motherboard BIOS. Afterward, clear the CMOS via the jumper on the board and load optimal defaults in setup. If you still have issues, do a fresh installation of Windows with your SATA controller set to AHCI mode (not IDE). When you get back up and running, install the latest chipset drivers from the AMD website, and in general try to grab the latest drivers directly from the manufacturers rather than using anything provided by Gigabyte. For another example, you get the latest sound and network drivers from Realtek, the manufacturer of those devices.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
Thanks! I'll give it all a go after work.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
Crystal Disk found nothing wrong and it passed MemTest+, so I q-flashed the newest BIOS and booted in AHCI. I thought that fixed it for a while but the problem remains. I played a little GTA, watched some Hulu, and it crashed again.

Guess I'll have to try a fresh install of Windows tomorrow, but I still have no idea what's actually wrong.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Have you checked the windows error log? There is an off chance something is being logged that could help you trouble shoot. Does anyone have a power supply you can borrow?

I'd return the mobo and processor and just get intel. Depending on what you do with your computer you might wind up being very unhappy with the performance of an AMD processor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
In the end it was the PSU. I guess 550 wasn't quite enough for something to be stable. I managed to borrow a friend's EVGA G2 850 out of his case and the computer operated fine for a few days, now I've got one of my own and no problems yet. Maybe it's more than I needed, but the part picker thread (which I should have checked first, natch) likes the G2 and it leaves me wiggle room down the line for upgrades or cooling.

Weirdly enough, I started having to leave GTAV on in the background while I was working because the computer never once crashed while it was running. It was fascinating. Within about fifteen to thirty minutes after startup, it'd restart. But if I started playing a game within that window the computer wouldn't run into any problems -- until I quit, then after about fifteen to thirty minutes it would restart again. It was like the reverse of what I'd expect; stressing the video card kept my computer from crashing.

ellbent fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 1, 2015

• Locked thread