Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

loving goddamn brimnes daybed, get to step b7, cant screw the loving screws in, pilot holes are too small, checked google, everyone else has the same problem, guess im not sleeping in a loving bed tonight

gently caress you ikea

gently caress gbs, too

Why can't you drill out the pilot holes yourself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

:eng101: Everything you buy at Ikea is helping line the pockets of a literal Nazi who managed to escape the 40s without getting picked up for it and he uses loopholes with his companies so that basically zero taxes are paid on anything they sell.

This is the one major thing I don't like about Ikea. I presume the foreign subsidiaries at least pay their taxes, so while you may be stiffing the Swedish taxpayer you aren't necessary dicking your own community. But furniture options other than "equip a wood shop and make your own" aren't that great in general. Everything at HAUS OF SOFAS is incredible poo poo made by Chinese semi-indentured labour and picked out of a catalogue by the store management, who are charging you 5-10 times the unit price. You just don't see the terrible quality because you aren't assembling it with an allen key.

And if people like the OP think IKEA's quality is bad, I double dog dare you to buy flatpack from your local warehouse store. I was given a free, unused B&Q bookshelf once. Within a couple days of putting my kid's books on it, every shelf bowed so much they were about a mm from falling off their dowels. I had to break out a 2x4 and basically make knees for them.

Ninja Pangolin posted:

When they get to the children in the textile factories in Bangladesh we're all like "whoa whoa wait a sec child labor???" but they're all "well yeah, technically, but we make them go to school for half the day, and the money they make really helps out their families." War Is Peace, Freedom Is Slavery, Ignorance Is Strength, Child Labor Is Economic Opportunity.

This is actually not (or not only) because IKEA's founder is a "bootstraps" Randian nutjob. It's an approach that many (though obviously not all) development organisations tacitly or openly support.

You have vast numbers of children in the Subcontinent that their state can't support and that parents can't afford to keep, or who don't have parents or guardians at all. This may well be the fault of lovely governments, colonialism and exploitation, and yes, you want to move these societies to a position where kids don't have to do 16 hour shifts in a steel works to feed themselves (or sometimes their siblings), but if you banned child labour outright and somehow enforced that law, you would have a lot of dead kids.

The best possible thing those kids can hope for may well be to work in a non-life-threatening environment for reasonable hours, while earning a subsistence or very basic living wage, and getting an education and a safe place to live. Remember that many poor kids in Bangladesh do dangerous jobs, get no education and have no safe, secure place to live.

• Locked thread