Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Okay I get you're trying to show the internet how much of a tough guy you are but really?

quote:

I risk my life so you can say that, you ungrateful pansy

Excuses. "The maximum effective range of an excuse is 0 meters" is a direct quote from my drill sergeant. Did you give 100%? Is it taken care of? If not, go back and make it happen!
Bystander Syndrome/lack of proactiveness. WOW have I noticed this one. Get a crowd of people together, emergency happens, everybody looks at the person next to them and waits for somebody to do something. Guess what? YOU are somebody. Get busy.
Needs vs. wants confusion. Food, water and shelter are needs. Everything else is a want. You can live a lot rougher than you think you can. My ex-wife sent me an email complaining about being short of cash. At the end- "Sent from my iPhone." Come on, really? I'd just gotten out of the field where I was living out of what I could carry on my back for a month.
Work ethic. Okay, this one's not really that much better in the military. There are a LOT of lazy NCOs (sergeants) and privates. The good thing is, I can put my boot up their rear end and they get back to work. You can't really use quite the same ah, forcefulness, when dealing with civilians.
Fake patriotism/blind nationalism. Yeah, support the troops, rah rah. You want to really support me? Maybe you could try voting for somebody that doesn't start random wars next time?
Incompetence and dithering. "Privates bring me problems. Sergeants keep me informed of their solutions." Everyone starts as a private, but many eventually become a sergeant. When a (good) sergeant runs into a problem, ANY problem, they go into solution mode. This is the foundation of the modern US military- junior leaders, enlisted and officer alike, are trained that when in doubt, make a drat decision and execute. Surprisingly, snap decisions often turn out to be good enough to get the job done. "I dunno..." is flat out not acceptable.

My drill sergent's favorite saying was "I don't give a flying Batman gently caress." By the time I got to OCS, some ten years later, the saying was, "No quibbling." Apparently when you questioned something, or tried to defend your actions or position, they considered it quibbling and made you do something humiliating like carry around a red painted concrete block know as "The Mental Block."

quote:

Apparently when you questioned something, or tried to defend your actions or position, they considered it quibbling and made you do something humiliating like carry around a red painted concrete block know as "The Mental Block.
I don't get it though because lol if you're so pathetic and subordinate that you actually do things like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Yeah I definitely don't understand the greatness of receiving middle school style bullying as an adult.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Applewhite posted:

Pictured: a bunch of idiots, lol.

Dumbasses didn't realize they could have just stayed home and let the Imperial Japanese mass murder thousands of innocent civilians in ways that made Abu Grahib's misconduct look like a tea party.

lol if you wear the cloth of your nation with pride. It's just clothes IDIOT.

Life is a meaningless spiral of despair and misery hahahahahahahaha

the japanese believed they were liberating countries too

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Dandywalken posted:

their?
psyopmonkey cant be plural.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Business Gorillas posted:

tbh i dont care about the troops since they willingly give up their early adulthoods to blow things and people up while learning absolutely zero life skills that apply to places that aren't warzones. like if there was a draft or something i'd care about PTSD or whatever but dude you willingly signed up in a post 9/11 world knowing exactly what you were getting into sorry real life call of duty wasn't as cool as you thought it was going to be and now you're a broken person for the rest of your life lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

TheChad posted:

They're just seeing if they can get a response from him at all, if he laughs they win. :D

My mean and cruel military story is one time I called another dude a 'tool' and he complained to the sergeants. They called me up and asked why, so I said, 'he's a tool, sir'. Then I got 4 am saturday PT for two weeks. :mad:

Why don't you be an adult and tell the guy wasting your time to go gently caress himself.

• Locked thread