Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
does he have a gf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

she died from a bullet-related accident

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

yes, the gun.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

BONGHITZ posted:

That bullet went through three wooden walls? What is he using a deeg?

even a small pistol can easily shoot through one side of a house and out the other, and will usually break/penetrate cinder blocks

a rifle will easily go through cinder blocks or 2 inch bricks

both will easily go through almost every part of a car

you are never safe, hope this helps

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
I was watching one of those Discovery ID true crime shows, and there was this one episode about a guy who was showing off a gun to his friends in a hotel. The gun went off and the bullet traveled through the wall and killed some guy in another room. The guy was lying in bed and the bullet went through his balls and up into his heart. It's sad and everything, but the reenactment, with the dude grabbing his balls and yelling out "ooOOOoooo", was pretty funny.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ramsus posted:

You have got to be a real dipshit hosed up retard moron to shoot your gun while cleaning it.

for real though

"thought it was empty" lol didn't he check first

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
id srsly consider pressing charges or kicking his rear end

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

gently caress da Mods posted:

id srsly consider pressing charges or kicking his rear end

yeah I'd either move out or press charges because from that point on I'd just be thinking 'is today the day a bullet comes through the drywall and kills me in my bedroom?' all the time.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What state/region is this in? THis is important.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Acid Haze posted:

So your saying he either: One, brought a loaded weapon from the range into your home or, two, he loaded the weapon prior to cleaning it and forgot.

I think I can make a sure bet here this wasn't and accidental discharge while he was cleaning it. He polished the outside, and so proud he was of his work that he cocked it back to dry fire it without ever realizing he never removed the mag. That's why the bullet went through several walls: He was sitting down, holding the weapon straight out from him.

That would make it more of, "I'm a loving idiot who should not own a firearm," than "The pistol accidentally discharged while I was cleaning it loaded." Occam's razor applies here.

This is what I don't get and why your friend is an idiot OP. There is no reason the gun should be loaded or have ammo anywhere near it if he shoots it at a range. The gun would be unloaded and checked literally the moment you're done shooting and should be transported locked. In the house, all ammo should be stored as far away from the gun as possible and locked separately. In part this is to prevent even the actual owner "playing" with a loaded gun, in part to stop other people accidentally or deliberately getting hold of one.

What Acid Haze doesn't seem to have noticed is that the OP's friend is a LOLbertarian. Which means he probably knows all of this, he just doesn't care because MAH RAAAHHTS.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
"The government has no business telling me how to store my property!"

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Acid Haze posted:

He polished the outside, and so proud he was of his work that he cocked it back to dry fire it without ever realizing he never removed the mag.

Who the gently caress cleans the outside before the important parts. A shameful dumb roommate gunhaver.

Also "no magazine" does not mean safe

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
your roommate is cool

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jastiger posted:

What state/region is this in? THis is important.

I'm in the south jastiger!!

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it always amazes me how many people show up to the range and don't know how to lock their actions open and/or properly check for chambered rounds

it's kinda like motorcycle riders being completely incompetent riders and doing nothing about it... makes me think how did your genetics make it this far?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

soy posted:

it always amazes me how many people show up to the range and don't know how to lock their actions open and/or properly check for chambered rounds

it's kinda like motorcycle riders being completely incompetent riders and doing nothing about it... makes me think how did your genetics make it this far?

I've been to a shooting range once and even I know that you have to check for chambered rounds.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
When I leave my apartment I check if I have my keys and wallet and phone like 16 fuckin times and the worse case scenario if I forgot is I have to turn around and go get them.
How do you clean a gun without at least double checking there's no murder inside?

"I think it's a pretty safe assumption that it's unloaded"

you should call the cops

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I'm in the south jastiger!!

:ssj:

I fuckin' knew it.

Get your stuff out of the house, burn the house down (with or without him in it), and move to the glorious North.

May I suggest a city in Iowa?

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Wow... you could be dead. Reflect on that.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I predict nothing will come of this and 2 months from now the bullet holes will still be in the wall and OP will be all 'haha remember when you almost shot me and the other roommate good times.'

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

lol what is this poo poo. i'm not going to shoot my roommate, sadly he's also my best friend for almost 20 years. you'll always be a moron.
Put his eyes out.

Mimsy
Oct 25, 2008
What kind of dumb person doesn't check a weapon clear of ammunition before disassembling it? Also how the poo poo do you accidentally shoot a gun while cleaning it anyway?

It almost sounds like your roommate has no training in firearms safety and/or maintenance.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

well he says he thought it was empty. don't they always say that before someone gets shot in the face?
best way to be sure is to just empty the clip into whatever's nearby

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Hey man.... Same as Burroughs. You should tell your friend to start writing.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Have you told your girl about this? 'Cause you might not be getting any anytime soon once she sees the bullet hole where her head would have been.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.
the real problem here is, as mentioned in the thread, the owner. guns dont kill people, stupid owners do, and we need to face up to the fact that gun owners on average are stupider than the rest of the population and should not be allowed to have guns

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i mean, its really easy to see if there still bullets in a gun

and its really hard to clean a gun that still has bullets in it

i dont know how people are always getting caught out by 'i thought it wasnt loaded'. like, just look in the gun. drop the mag out and rack the slide and the gun will helpfully eject any bullets that are in there for you, without firing them and killing your friends

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

FirstPersonShitter posted:

i mean, its really easy to see if there still bullets in a gun

and its really hard to clean a gun that still has bullets in it

i dont know how people are always getting caught out by 'i thought it wasnt loaded'. like, just look in the gun. drop the mag out and rack the slide and the gun will helpfully eject any bullets that are in there for you, without firing them and killing your friends

Ten bucks says he wasn't cleaning it, but was channelling his inner Travis Bickle in front of a mirror or some other dumb poo poo. That's how you get all of these reports of people who were "just cleaning their gun and it all of a sudden went off!"

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I swear I wasn't touching the trigger at all it just went off because magic.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

Saga posted:

What Acid Haze doesn't seem to have noticed is that the OP's friend is a LOLbertarian. Which means he probably knows all of this, he just doesn't care because MAH RAAAHHTS.

Questionable politics aside, this sounds like the story of someone who never learned any type of firearms safety and bought the pistol so he could pop off rounds at the range and pose with it in selfies to feel more like a man.

There is still a danger here. You might think it's all over OP, no harm done, let bygones be bygones and such. But if you aren't proactive with this, all it will take is a moment of anger, and argument that escalates to a physical altercation - in your home or otherwise - and just like that someone has a pistol aimed at their head. It's another problem with people who don't know how to use firearms, they also can come to rely on it as an end-all defense mechanism. They feel safe with a loaded gun in their side table, but when that safety bubble gets threatened the reaction can be to immediately grab the weapon.

Remember, you don't lock weapons up just to keep kids safe, you keep them locked up so there is a barrier between you and a powerful killing tool. Opening the safe, unlocking the lock, etc sometimes gives someone just the time they need to come to their senses and think, "What was I about to do? Was I going to pull a gun on my friend?"

Skeleton Ape posted:

Also "no magazine" does not mean safe

I know ( Edit: This is why you always check the chamber as soon as you pick up a weapon, magazine or no). In this situation I think he put a clip in at some earlier time, forgot, and then went to dry fire it (and he pointed it at the wall like he was aiming at a target). So he chambered and fired a round, but, but, but, he only wanted to pretend...

But seriously OP, make him take firearms training classes. Make him get a gun lock, or small safe. If he can't realize how close you guys just came to some really, really bad poo poo and do something to make sure it never comes to that point again, then yeah it might be time to move on.

I personally would never, ever let the person you've described into my home; accident or no accident.

Acid Haze fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 27, 2015

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Coxswain Balls posted:

Ten bucks says he wasn't cleaning it, but was channelling his inner Travis Bickle in front of a mirror or some other dumb poo poo. That's how you get all of these reports of people who were "just cleaning their gun and it all of a sudden went off!"

Ya I dont think he was cleaning it either. You disassemble guns to clean them. Disassembled guns dont go off.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
your friend tried to kill you and all gun owners should be charged with domestic terrorism for sure

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
have you considered getting a headboard made of solid steel plate

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
He has firearms training and has been around guns his whole life. He buys and sells them so you'd think he would do a little better and not do something this dumb. I'm just glad no one got hurt, it could have been a lot worse.

He is seeing a girl who casually drops the N-word in conversations with strangers so you can get an image of what his personal views are about things.

Mimsy
Oct 25, 2008

JB50 posted:

Ya I dont think he was cleaning it either. You disassemble guns to clean them. Disassembled guns dont go off.

Generally speaking guns don't just go off at all. I may have jokingly chased someone around with a machine gun in a room full of bombs before without anything bad happening.

You have to be doing something even dumber than that to accidentally shoot a gun.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Mimsy posted:

Generally speaking guns don't just go off at all. I may have jokingly chased someone around with a machine gun in a room full of bombs before without anything bad happening.

You have to be doing something even dumber than that to accidentally shoot a gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBX7mEBVOao

There's a reason they hammer the four rules into you in any firearm safety class. You have to be breaking all four for something catastrophic to happen, even with a mechanical failure (or "mechanical failure"), and your rear end in a top hat roommate managed to do just that.

He has firearms training and has been around guns his whole life. He buys and sells them so you'd think he would do a little better and not do something this dumb. I'm just glad no one got hurt, it could have been a lot worse.

Firearms training doesn't fix stupid. Why is he still allowed in your house?

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

He has firearms training

From who? Clearly not a lot of it stuck, or he thinks he's above following safe procedure.

He has been around guns his whole life

I hope you don't think this qualifies as training?

He buys and sells them

Please tell me he owns a shop and your not letting this dude sell weapons in your home or on the street....

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Acid Haze posted:

Please tell me he owns a shop and your not letting this dude sell weapons in your home or on the street....

Dude's a dumbass but this part is actually normal / legal.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

He is seeing a girl who casually drops the N-word in conversations with strangers so you can get an image of what his personal views are about things.

your life sounds amazing. i wish this guy was my bestie :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Wall Balls posted:

death to america

insh'allah

• Locked thread