Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
Toot toot bitches! Come train with us!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
This is looking pretty good! I'll get to work to create a simple double elimination style spreadsheet. I had a look at Challonge and it doesn't seem to cater for more than 2-player matches. Bowmore, did you have a different website that you were using at the time?

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
Here's a proposed double elimination bracket. It makes sure that everybody gets to play at least two games. To achieve this, there will be mostly 4-player games, although there is a 3-player round in round 5.

The general rule is that first and second place progress. Therefore, "winning" a round means coming first or second place. "Losing" a round means coming third or fourth place.

Round overview:
Round 1 will be a random seed, but we'll try to keep time zones in mind.
In Round 2, everyone who came first will play each other, everyone who came second plays each other, etc. Players who lose in both Round 1 and Round 2 are out.
In Round 3, players who have won both Round 1 and Round 2 play each other, while the other groups consist of players who won one round and lost another. Players who are not in the Winner group and who lose Round 3 are out.
In Round 4, players who have won all three rounds play against the first places of Round 3 in the Winner group. The remaining players duke it out in the Loser group for a second chance. Fourth places in each group are out.
In Round 5, the 3-player game takes place. This is to make sure that a fluke loss in Round 4 for a player who was won everything so far, does not result in instant elimination. Winners from the Round 4 Winner group play the first place of the Round 4 Loser group. The remaining players compete against each other. Third places in each group are out.
In Round 6 - Finals!

Feedback welcome - let us know if you have ideas to improve the tournament.

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
Cool, that gives us 12 players. It makes a double elimination table like I did before a bit more complicated. I'll have a play with some options later tonight - we might switch to a slightly different structure initially. More to follow!

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
Alright, I've changed things around a little to accommodate a 12-player tournament. The bad news is that we lost a round in the competition. The good news is that we are now all guaranteed to play three matches and we no longer need a weird 3-player match!

The plan is to start off with a 3 stage round robin tournament. Since we're all going to be playing each other, time zones don't really factor into the groups. Each of the first three games gives you one, two, three or four points if you come first, second, third or fourth respectively. At the end of the third round, we tally everyone's points. The eight people with the fewest points have done the best (first place is 1 point). The four people with the most points across the first three rounds are out of the competition.

After that, we have the four players with the lowest score in the Upper 4 group, and the four players with the highest score in the Lower 4. In Round 4, the two players who come third and fourth are out.

Finally - the finals are in Round 5!

Hope that all makes sense - let me know if you have questions or suggestions for improvement.

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012

That British Guy posted:

I think you need 6 rounds otherwise you could throw the first 3 rounds to get an easy 4th round. the 5th round should be 3rd 4th 5th and 6th and then the top 2 from that 5th round go onto the finals with the top 2 from the 4th round upper bracket. this way it incentivises you to do well so you have to play one less game. but that's just my opinion.

That's a pretty good idea! Throwing the first rounds is risky since you're out if you're in the bottom 4, but the sixth round makes it more secure. I'm good with doing that :)

Regarding availability, bowmore, Factor Mystic and Fredrik1, I'm usually available from about now (10am UTC to 1pm UTC) or on the weekends. Let's pick a date for this poo poo.

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
bowmore, let us know when you are back on deck and we'll get the choo choo happening!

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
Alright, bowmore and I are here, probably for a couple of hours. Fredrik and Factor Mystic?

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012

bowmore posted:

I'm online for Trains

I am now. Let's train!

I think we might have a bit of a timezone issue. What about Saturday? I'm free all day.

Updated standings (now including the extra round):

Bubz fucked around with this message at 10:16 on May 20, 2015

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
Alright it's Saturday! Hit me up for trains and let's get this show on the rails!

e: We missed Fredrik. Let us know when you wake up mate.

e2: Alright - we have have Factor and Fredrik on right now - bowmore give us a shout when you wake!

Bubz fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 23, 2015

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
I think right about now is our timeslot. Fredrik and I are on. bowmore, are you anywhere near?

e: bowmore is here. Just need Factor Mystic to join us now!

e2: hmmm, looks like it's 3am over there. In about 5 hours, it'll be 8am for Factor, 10pm for me and bowmore, and 2pm for fredrik. Let's go with that. See you then!!

e3: OK, that didn't work out. Let's all indicate when we are available and pick a time that works for each of us. I'm on the Australian east coast - I can do weekdays between about 6am and 8am and between 7pm and 11pm AEST and pretty much all weekend. Might be able to sneak out for a lunch time game if we need to do that to make it work.

Bubz fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 24, 2015

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
Let's go ahead with Round 2, even though there is one outstanding game for Round 1.

Fredrik, bowmore and Factor Mystic - we're going to need to lock in a time on the weekend to do finish Round 1. If we can't find a time then we will need someone to choose a champion to battle for them! Let us know what times suit you this weekend and we'll lock something in.

I can do Saturday all day until about 6pm, and Sunday until about 12:30pm and then again in the evening after 6pm.

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
I'm good to go for the next few hours for either game. Hit me up!

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
We've got bowmore, robust laser and myself online. Come join us Lawful Waffle!

Alternatively, we've got bowmore, factor mystic and myself online. Come join us Fredrik!

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
Robust Laser obliterated us in round 2 with lots of cross-country tickets!

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
Here are the updated standings.

:siren: I noticed that round 2-3 and round 3-3 were virtually the same, so I've randomised the round 3 table. :siren:

Let me know if you see any issues with it!

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
Bowmore and I are in the same time zone, so that makes it easier. I'm also happy for someone to take my place as a champion if you other three are on. Factor and bowmore - you want to do the same? We will be able to get 3 on for sure.

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
We have 3 out of 4 online right now - Fredrik, Factor and I. Fredrik is about to go to sleep though. Bowmore, we've organised Lawful Waffle as your champion.

I know you haven't specifically given permission for a champion, but since we are so far behind now, I think this game will need to count unless all four of us can be online at some stage this weekend.

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
It appears that the champion is too stronk. Bowmore gets maximum points!

Here was the result of the last Round 1 game. How's everyone going with their Round 2?

Updated standings:

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
How's everyone going? Try and get your games in this weekend if you can, and we'll move on to Round 3!

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
Get your games in this weekend guys! I'm available as a champion as well if you have trouble getting more than 3 online at once.

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

Well who can we get together this evening? We can at least try for three.

Yeah for our round 1 we also had people in the US, Australia and Europe and it does make it tricky (though not impossible- australian early morning time - i.e. now is best). We're going into late territory for Europe now, though, so if you need a champion for the Euro player, hit me up.

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
Any updates, team? Let's get these games done so we can move to round 3.

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
Hey guys - we've got Fredrik and Sodomy online and it looks like we just missed Shadow. Random Stranger / Shadow, if you can make it on soon I'll be happy to sub for whoever doesn't make it.

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

EDIT: Round three, start! Goes until 15/07/15, at this stage

Thanks mate. My group 3 has people in Australia and US-East so we should be able to knock this one over soon. How's Friday evening US East and Saturday late morning for AUS today? That will be in just a few hours.

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
Round 3-2 is all here apart from RYang. Hopefully we can get this one going shortly!

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
Thanks OptimusShr! Here are the updated standings:

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
Don't forget to get your games in this weekend guys, especially for Round 2!

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
Round 3-3 should have 3 people to go in about an hour. I'll champion for Fredrik, who has probably gone to sleep by now.

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
3-3 complete. Fredrik, I managed to nab 2nd place for you.

Only 2 games to go to complete the first 3 rounds. Get on it you guys!

New ranks:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
Sorry to lose you Shadow :(

With Shadow out of the race for the two remaining games and no immediate volunteers to take their place, let's play the last 2 games as 3-player games. Hopefully this will be easier to manage.

Please get the remaining games in this weekend guys - if you cannot get them done, then let the thread know and we will need to come up with a way to push the championship on to the next round.

• Locked thread