Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW
Every single one of the problems plaguing modern America can be traced back to one man: Richard Nixon. I know he is not looked on favorably by a lot of people, but it is my conjecture that he is not just a bad president, or even the worst president, he may have been one of the worst leaders in history.

Let's take a brief look at Mr. Nixon's three pronged assault on the fabric of America:

-The war on drugs
-Watergate
-Relations with China

The war on drugs has been a horribly expensive and pointless struggle that has most likely accomplished the exact opposite of what it originally intended to do. In addition to that, it has slowly given increasingly more power and discretion to local law enforcement agencies, which essentially might as well be a ringing endorsement of the philosophy of the Confederate States of America. The war on drugs has its supporters, but 100% of them are racist with no exceptions. If someone says they support the war on drugs and claims not to be a racist, it is because they are either lying or just assume their bigoted hate filled views are normal.

Watergate has become a symbol of corruption in American politics and has done more to discredit the federal government than I think anyone would have thought at the time, or possibly even realizes now. Normally I think most of what any politician says nowadays is complete garbage, but occasionally, like children, they say things that are incredibly true. Joe Biden has made a comment(s) comparing corruption to kryptonite, which is one of the truest statements regarding government I have ever heard. Any government either rules by force, or by credibility. Without credibility a government has nothing, unless it is willing to use extreme amounts of force to keep order. Even then, credibility within that type of martial government is important. As Tony Montana once said, the only thing you have in this world are your balls and your word. And Richard Nixon broke America's word with Watergate.

Finally, Mr. Nixon's obsession with China may not have directly led to the trade deficit, but it definitely set the stage for it. So if you are wondering where all the money is in this country, Mr. Nixon gave it all to China for some reason.

So if you want a simple way of looking at things, look at FDR, Eisenhower, and JFK like Julius Caesar, Augustus, and Tiberius. Richard Nixon might as well be Caligula or Nero, minus any positive qualities people like that had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Counterpoint: George "Is Our Children Learning" Walker Bush.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

BUG JUG posted:

Counterpoint: George "Is Our Children Learning" Walker Bush.

Nixon only destabilized Cambodia and Laos.

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Didn't Hunter S Thompson say he'd vote for Nixon over Dubya?

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
He did set up the EPA and helped the Clean Air Act and OSHA get passed.

Also SALT and ABM.

He was totally a war criminal and a terrible human being, but name for me one modern US President who wasn't.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Apthous posted:

The war on drugs has been a horribly expensive and pointless struggle that has most likely accomplished the exact opposite of what it originally intended to do.
Not sure about this. The war on drugs was originally intended as a good excuse to imprison lots of black people and in this aim it's been very successful.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Apthous posted:

Finally, Mr. Nixon's obsession with China may not have directly led to the trade deficit, but it definitely set the stage for it. So if you are wondering where all the money is in this country, Mr. Nixon gave it all to China for some reason.

Who in the world (other than libertarians) cares about the US having a trade deficit?

Are you a libertarian?

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Apthous posted:

So if you want a simple way of looking at things, look at FDR, Eisenhower, and JFK like Julius Caesar, Augustus, and Tiberius. Richard Nixon might as well be Caligula or Nero, minus any positive qualities people like that had.

Also, what

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Nine posts in and no one has brought up Reagan?

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

AsInHowe posted:

Nine posts in and no one has brought up Reagan?

Reagan did a lot of bad poo poo, Nixon did a lot of bad poo poo, but Georgie boy beats them both in just the pure incompetence and corruption he fostered.

HECKUVA JOB BROWNIE!

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Nixon, for all his faults, had a fairly balanced look at the war on drugs. Large portions of the funding went toward rehabilitation. He believed if people had nicer lives, they wouldn't have any cause to use drugs.

It really went to hell under Reagan.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
America has always been poo poo due to being founded on human bondage and genocide. Tear it all down and start over imo.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Badera posted:

Also, what

Yeah bro totally.

FDR/Ike/JFK were some of the best people to run a nation/empire/republic/etc. ever. The only people that disagree with this are ignorant human garbage.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

America has always been poo poo due to being founded on human bondage and genocide. Tear it all down and start over imo.

A Fight Club post.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Nixon only destabilized Cambodia and Laos.

Combining the Cambodian and Laotian campaigns with his treasonous sabotage of the Paris talks, Nixon was responsible for 2000% more dead people than Bush's invasion of Iraq.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
Restoring nature to its natural state is a cause beyond party and beyond factions. It has become a common cause of all the people of this country. It is a cause of particular concern to young Americans, because they more than we will reap the grim consequences of our failure to act on programs which are needed now if we are to prevent disaster later. Clean air, clean water, open spaces-these should once again be the birthright of every American. If we act now, they can be.

-Nixon, when he made the EPA.

Bush v Reagan for the top spot is the only real debate here. Hint, it's Reagan

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Bush v Reagan for the top spot is the only real debate here. Hint, it's Reagan

Richard Nixon found America a city of marble and left it a pile of rubble.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Actually, OP, Nixon was pretty cool, and good.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Rorus Raz posted:

Didn't Hunter S Thompson say he'd vote for Nixon over Dubya?

HST shot himself when dubya was reelected then had his ashes shot out of a canon into the ocean, which is pretty understandable imho.

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Apthous posted:

Yeah bro totally.

FDR/Ike/JFK were some of the best people to run a nation/empire/republic/etc. ever. The only people that disagree with this are ignorant human garbage.

Oh ok

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Nixon also created the EPA and enacted the Endangered Species Act, the Clean Air Act, and created OSHA. Could you imagine a president in the modern day passing such a left-wing agenda?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Infinite Karma posted:

Nixon also created the EPA and enacted the Endangered Species Act, the Clean Air Act, and created OSHA. Could you imagine a president in the modern day passing such a left-wing agenda?

With large Democratic majorities and the existence of liberal Republicans, yes.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Nixon was the last human president and its been nothing but reptoids ever since.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

realtalk, Nixon ended termination and made self-determination the official native policy :shobon:

he also failed to reform the BIA and the Wounded Knee didn't go so great

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Nope, the answer is and hopefully will always be James Buchanan.

Even the revisionist take on him is that he was actually worse than his reputation.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
Nixon got us off the gold standard

G.W. Bush feels like the worst, squandered so much good will and economic success, added long term structural problems to our budget (Clinton had to actually draw up plans for what would happen if we paid off the national debt).

Historically I think there was most likely a couple worse, but Bush is really up there.

TE!
Nov 26, 2003

I LOVE THE LITTLE BOYS OF CATHOLIC!! LOLZ!
Reagan is quite literally, indisputably, the worst president of the last 100 years. Nixon was actually fairly decent, with that 'fairly decent' average being achieved by averaging extreme good/bad things. W was pretty bad, but Reagan was worse.

edit: Also, seriously I don't know what is more hilarious, thinking an American president could really be the 'worst leader of all time', or the replies all focusing on other presidents.

TE! fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 29, 2015

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Nixon wouldn't be able to win the GOP nomination today. They'd call him a RINO.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I agree OP, it would have been much better if America had stayed in a state of near war with China forever, it would have worked out great.

TE!
Nov 26, 2003

I LOVE THE LITTLE BOYS OF CATHOLIC!! LOLZ!

TheImmigrant posted:

Nixon wouldn't be able to win the Democratic nomination. They would call him too left-wing.

Republicans would, however, call Reagan a RINO most definitely if he ran as if he was coming from governor of California.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Nixon was our most human president. A spite-filled loser, a true everyman.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

OP we know who you hate, but who was the best US president? Because that really lets us take in the full scope of your ideas.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SickZip posted:

Nixon was our most human president. A spite-filled loser, a true everyman.

Nixon was the gooniest president.

quote:

Nixon was never exactly a ladies man. When he proposed to his future wife Pat on their first date, she thought he was nuts. But that didn’t deter him. Instead, Nixon offered to be her driver on her dates with other men. He also inundated her with mushy love letters, referring to himself in the third person and to Pat as “thee.” One line read, “When the wind blows and the rains fall and the sun shines through the clouds (as it is now) he still resolves. . . that nothing so fine ever happened to him or anyone else as falling in love with Thee -- my dearest heart.”

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Nixon pro's:

-Restoring integrity to Congressional oversight
-Founding the EPA
-Ending the riots of the LBJ era
-Got us out of Vietnam with dignity
-Restrained himself from nuking north vietnam (he really should have tho)
-Countered the spread of communism in Africa and Latin America

Not-Nixon's being worse:
-Enforced the Dredd-Scott Act (that dude before Lincoln)
-Allowed the return of slavery under another name (that dude after Lincoln)

Nixon con's:
-Ended the draft
-Got caught beating Congress at their own game
-Failed to see Vietnam through

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 29, 2015

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

TheImmigrant posted:

Less because of ideological problems and more because he'd melt under the intense 24/7 scrutiny candidates are placed under. To say nothing of the pressure he'd be under to actually interact with the public. Can you imagine how he'd react to the first time someone tweeted "lol dicknuts nixon more like" at him?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Nope, the answer is and hopefully will always be James Buchanan.

Even the revisionist take on him is that he was actually worse than his reputation.

this is the correct answer, dude bungled fort Sumter like three different ways and then threw his hands up and marked time til Abe came in.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

this is the correct answer, dude bungled fort Sumter like three different ways and then threw his hands up and marked time til Abe came in.

So the reason why it isn't Buchanan: he was a lame duck President when all the states started seceding, and there was still the hope that some form of reconciliation could take place. Had Buchanan forced the issue on Sumter earlier, it could have led to war breaking out before Lincoln was President, which is just bad form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Valhawk posted:

He was totally a war criminal and a terrible human being, but name for me one modern US President who wasn't.

Carter?

• Locked thread