Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Hello GBS. I found a bug in my house and put it in a jar, but can't seem to find an adequate match for it on the internet, and I know a bunch of you are super-knowledgable about animals.
It looks like one of those brown wasps, black and dark reddish in color with long proportions and a pinched abdomen, but it's got the head and :toot: mouthpiece of a fly, and it occasionally does that weird handrubbing thing they do. It keeps its wings out to its sides, but it moves its legs around like a fly. The closest thing I've been able to find is a Picture-Winged fly, but this thing is much skinnier and it holds its butt up in the air, though it shares the Picture-Winged fly's fancy wings. Also the abdomen ends with a pointed tip, but it looks too soft to actually be a stinger. I'm 99% sure it's harmless, but I'm curious as to what kind of fly it is exactly.

Here are some pictures if it helps, sorry for the poor quality/jar but all I've got is a late 2000s cellphone and I don't feel like catching it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Pick posted:

A Conopidae species of some sort maybe? I'm bad at flies. Where do you live?

South Carolina. It just kind of showed up in my house.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Turboooooo posted:

It looks like a Waved light fly. They lay eggs in June Bugs. Pyrgota undata http://bugguide.net/node/view/7384

Oh nice, that's it exactly, wing patterns and all. A cool fly, thanks for the ID.

Now I can let it go without worry so it can go about its business of loving up june bugs.

• Locked thread