Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

He's right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

That fight last night was not very good. He was reminiscent of Timmah in that he was fighting not to lose, which I hate.

Dangersim posted:

The holding last night wasn't that bad

Northjayhawk posted:

Yeah, I've got no problem with the ref last night, he was pretty quick to separate them every time.

It seemed to me that Floyd was holding on as long as he could every time but I am not a huge boxing fan and would be the first to admit I don't watch it enough to make me give a poo poo one way or the other about either of these dudes.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Dangersim posted:

Early on he held everytime Manny got in but eventually he just started shoulder rolling and side stepping out once he got his timing. Watch a Wlad fight for excessive holding.

Pretty sure I won't be doing that :)

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Dangersim posted:

Cerrone is going to be ufc lightweight champion Allahu Akbar

Jazak Allahu Khayran

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

he didn't fight in the ufc, despite ridiculous offers being thrown at him

If only

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Trast posted:

I'd watch Cerrone vs McGregor, no lie.

Oh man, I need this now, a unification bout for two titles :)

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

budreck posted:

You are all under estimating Makdessi.

I liked Cowboy but I smell upset.

Bet me.

:lol:

This is a "Here's your title shot dude, just win this" fight.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Ewar Woowar posted:

Cerrone is going to kick the poo poo out of Makdessi and I'm gonna enjoy it a whole lot.

Yup, this.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

So uh did we just see years of memories and quality life leave Mark Hunt?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Want the UFC to wake you up for this weekend's card?

I don't know if you can request a certain fighter to wake you up, but this amuses me nonetheless.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

:stare: ESPN writer still ranks JBJ #1 p4p despite suspension...

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

I guess I was just surprised because I don't see him back anytime soon. I get what you are saying but it just seems silly to rank a guy who won't be fighting for a while.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Last night before Mad Max: Fury Road (which was loving awesome, go see it) there was an Entourage commercial, and Ronda's in it. I want to see her in it, she looks like pretty funny.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Grifter posted:

I have been reading Ronda's biography. It's definitely better than Matt Hughes's, and it's better than Chael's which had a heavy duty dictating to ghostwriter quality to it. If you are interested enough in fighters to read this thread I'd recommend it. You get a good view on how Ronda thinks and where that attitude comes from. I can do a more in depth write up of it along the lines of that old UG Hughes writeup, but I'm not sure how much interest there would be in having Ronda's anecdotes summarized when she doesn't have the sheer sociopathy of someone like Hughes.

I'll do one: the story of her dad dying is pretty brutal. Her father was a big figure in her life and the "strongest man she knows" and then a family sled-riding accident breaks his spine. He goes from bed-ridden to working across the state from her mother so the family is living apart, Ronda with him. His condition worsens and he is told that his spine is slowly coming apart and eventually he will transition from a painful day to day through paralysis to death. Shortly thereafter he runs a tube up from his car's exhaust into the driver's side, rolls the windows up and that's it. This is all told from the perspective of a Ronda who was still young enough to wear footy pajamas and that pain of that comes through.

I'm reading it as well, and it seems like whomever wrote it with her did a great job of letting her voice come thru. It's been quite good so far.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Atom I think we had a bet on Vitor/Weidman, you had Vitor and I believe it was loser is probated for a month and has to wear the winner's choice of AV for another 30 days?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

aaaand scene

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

MycroftXXX posted:

What a great interview.

This was great and the Katie Nolan one a few pages ago was good too. Weidman is awesome.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

I bet on Weidman but it's not without risk. I'm reasonably sure he's going to win but this is MMA and literally anything can and does happen on a regular basis in the ring.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Northjayhawk posted:

Cowboy said he will ask for a title shot in Denver if he wins. He figured he's been such a loyal company guy for so long that he deserves to not just fight for a title, but also pick the location.

I see no issue with this

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Weidman, DC and Cowboy all won on the same night. Awesome.

Yup

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

If anyone wants to suggest an avatar for atom to buy when his 30 day probation is up, let me know. I've got some thoughts, but am open to other ideas.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

-Atom- posted:

we did so look forward to a new avatar next week

Here you go fatherdog. He quoted the bet and agreed to it in this post.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

origami posted:

atom needs to be in a loser leaves town toxx

I'm not about to bet something like that, but it crossed my mind.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Hey, Chris Weidman is a legend killer and therefore a legend himself.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

It's too bad he's not a champion anymore, this would be a great OP picture.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Le Saboteur posted:

I wonder if it was more he'd got his wraps on and signed and realized he needed to poo poo and then realized he couldn't really wipe his rear end with wraps on.

No wonder Burt Watson quit. Babysitter to the stars!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

I need this:

as an avatar for a project. Unless anyone else has a better idea...

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

El Roncho posted:

Am I alone in thinking a guy making a crucial mistake only to go on to beat the living poo poo out of his dangerous opponent regardless is kind of more impressive than a thoroughly dominant performance?

It's certainly more exciting!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The EA sports curse is definitely real but its power must be waning if all it could do to Richard Sherman was deny him a 2nd superbowl by a single yard.

:sigh:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

This was cool

http://www.ufc.com/media/187-Thrill-and-agony

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Bethe Correia posted:

Sometimes trash talking takes a dark turn. This is one of those times.

Ronda Rousey and Bethe Correia have been going back and forth for awhile now, leading up to their eventual fight in Brazil in August. Shots have been taken from both sides, like a lot of the big fights these days. However, the most recent comments from the Brazilian challenger left us wondering what in the world she was thinking.

When speaking to Combate, she said:

“I want to knock her out, show to everyone that she is a lie. She wants to stand up with me, let’s see. I want to humiliate her and show the word she has no MMA. She is focused on movies, books. I am much stronger, I come from a developing country, where people are struggling to survive, not to starve. It is very different from her life of reality. Under pressure, she is proving weak. When her mom put pressure on her, she ran away from home. When she lost, it was because of drugs. That’s not a superhero. She is not mentally healthy, she needs to take care of herself. She is winning, so everybody is around her cheering her up, but when she realizes she is not everything that she believes she is, I don’t know what might happen. I hope she does not kill herself later on (laughs).”

:stare:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Sprecherscrow posted:

Anyone got the link to the Socrates thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3307462

(So drat proud I got the first reply)

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

One of the GIFs in there that still works

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Question: what was the reaction here after Fedor/Werdum in 2010?

oh yeah I meant to post this too

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3320599

e: here's where it started-ish http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3320599&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=18#post378866438

kensei fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 28, 2015

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

RondaRousey on twitter posted:

@bethecorreia suicide is no joke or selling point. My father will be with me the day I hand you the comeuppance you deserve.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

I doubt Bethe Correia is getting points.

I thought that if you were in a main event, you were almost certainly getting PPV points; however, since we don't have consistent access to the back channel negotiations that happen in the UFC we'll likely never know.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Lloyd Boner posted:

So RDA is out until December. I wonder if Cowboy could possibly wait that long before getting fidgety and taking another fight.

Cowboy/Khabib Interim Title Fight.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Steroid Shame Slum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Btw Anik and Florian never came through with my signed Hendo glove.

Take to the Twitterverse and express your displeasure.

• Locked thread