Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
khabib has been exposed as a fraudulent coward, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Eat This Glob posted:

The best part was it was the first (and so far, only) card held in Abu Dhabi (whose government owns a 10 percent stake in Zuffa) in a purpose-built stadium that was torn down after the event was over. If I remember correctly, the rest of the card was actually pretty damned entertaining. Maia/Andy entertained me, but Dana was loving understandably apoplectic at the main event and grumbling about making Silva fight on the Facebook prelims or cutting him. Silva acted like a clown because Maia had a privileged upbringing and because Demien said he was going "to take one of the spider's legs". Really.

munoz/grove is one of those super intense violent brawls that's somehow forgotten. it's an absolutely insane round and a half.

e: also the anderson/maia match up was about way more than some stupid comments. bjj is a rich dude's sport even in brazil. lily white people like maia are generally better off than black people in brazil (in fact I think maia specifically comes from money).

Foul Fowl fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 1, 2015

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Northjayhawk posted:

I'm never going to appreciate someone who is point-fighting and trying to win rounds instead of taking a bit more risk in order to attempt to hurt their opponent. Its really that simple, I knew exactly what Floyd was doing, and the fight sucked.

agreed, there is no difference in the parameters between a fight in the UFC's most underdeveloped division featuring at least one fighter whose offensive output and diversity has only been equaled by Gassed Mark Coleman in 1998 and a fight between the two best boxers on the planet

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i don't watch boxing but the worst robberies in the UFC all tend to follow a certain formula: a relentlessly aggressive fighter gets his rear end kicked but continues pushing forward throughout.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
bader is one of those guys who's a perfect milestone for how bad the division is. if he is anywhere near the top, the division sucks. if he was like a Brandon Vera type dude who was struggling to get by anonymous undercard dudes then the division is in a much healthier state.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

-Atom- posted:

Whatever gave people the impression that light heavyweight was a premier division? Because Chuck/Tito/Randy were popular during a particular time?

it had a bunch of fighters who seemed good. this was during the time Patrick Cote and Thales Leites were challenging for the middleweight championship and Anderson took gimmick fights at light heavyweight because his challengers were so bad. the heavyweight division was beyond redemption, cain and JDS were still prospects and like half of the top 10 was outside of the UFC.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

1st AD posted:

As long as Sakuraba gets in I'm cool

same but also big nog. gently caress fedor.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
mark hunt is definitely the walk-off ko goat. joachim hansen had better ones but hunt's got consistency.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

I wonder how many fighters will be inclined to join Bellator just for the sponsor $ alone

probably none

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Intel&Sebastian posted:

We will be reminded of why aldo is aldo and wonder why we ever thought an irish guy beating up dennis siver and dustin poirier meant he was a true threat.

weirdly it turns out that guys who slice through the division like it's tissue paper (aldo, jones, cain, JDS, weidman, lawler even) tend to have a very good chance at upsetting the champ.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
jones' only top 10 win was bader (which in retrospect looks even funnier, especially compared to holloway), cain's only top 10 win was big nog or mayyybe kongo, i suspect that maia and maybe munoz were top 10 for weidman, aldo's only notable win was pequeno nog, etc.

it's not like any future champion hasn't had these exact doubts levied against them; it just turns out if you consistently look very good, you probably are very good. aldo's a freak monster so obviously that doesn't make connor the anointed one but bringing up his lack of competition as indisputable proof that aldo's gonna kick his rear end is a bit silly imo

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Byolante posted:

He needed to fight frankie to have legitimacy

agreed, just like aldo needed to fight faber or jones needed to fight machida before their title fights for anyone to take them seriously

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Jones might have only had Bader but they were both hot poo poo undefeated fighters at the time AND he was an injury replacement for the title fight.

Edit: not to say you're wrong

kind of, but Bader was never a hot poo poo prospect the way Jones or Connor was. he was considered a solid enough dude but Jones was on another level, the only way Bader was gonna win that fight was by hoping Jones secretly had a bad chin.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
tbh if they fought again i would be VERY surprised if jones managed to fend off the takedown... his coward bitch stalling tactics wouldn't work against a man fueled by the desire to make everyone forget the tito fight ever happened

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
actually he sucks, and i wish he fought the soldier of god until he died irl

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
he hasn't but Gustafsson had been eating massive punches and kicks and elbows in every fight since Thiago Silva (except Manuwa) without dropping and Rumble smashed him to pieces

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
he'll probably lose. but he might win. im excited.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

POTATO IN MY ANUS posted:

vitor has about a 0% chance of winning and you are fooling yourself if you think otherwise

i dont think vitor has a 0% chance to win against anybody. hes probably the most dangerous fighter in all of mma for the first few minutes of a fight.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
please win chris

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Marching Powder posted:

i wouldn't be too stressed. vitor is the definition of puncher's chance. a very good puncher's chance but it would still be incredibly surprising to see vitor win.

it's not really a puncher's chance if he's done it to like 20 different guys over a period of as many years

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i love chris as much as the next guy but this level of apotheosis is getting a bit absurd

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
no, but believing that vitor has no chance/a puncher's chance is a level of denial that hasn't been reached since coleman/couture

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Wise Learned Man posted:

Nobody has called Weidman the best ever or an emotionless, unstoppable, Russian All-American cyborg.

no but it's exactly like fedor where his supporters refuse to acknowledge that his opponent has a very real chance and is in fact in some ways the superior fighter. vitor is really good and really dangerous. so is weidman obviously and he deserves to be the (large) favorite but this isn't exactly a mighty mouse/cariaso.

it's not even about the semantics of a puncher's chance or whatever. vitor could win this fight using the same tools and weapons that he's used to win fights for almost two decades. sure vitor's off his meds, but weidman's coming off yet another injury. i wouldn't be surprised if weidman crushed him like a grape, i also wouldn't be surprised if vitor caught him sloppy or slow and unleashed the thunder on the back of his head for a stoppage.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i love chris. vitor is a huge piece of poo poo. i hope he dies. there seems to be a general conception that the chance of it happening is much bigger than their respective fight history would suggest. however this is a dumb argument so i'm going to drop it instead of debating the intent of various individual posts. go weidman.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
weidman is so cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
who was laughing when Black Fedor effortlessly ragdolled hendo across the octagon? what could've been if not for the early stoppage against White Fedor.

• Locked thread