Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I'm pretty sure that a popular upgrade for the TDI is to use the BorgWarner K04 turbo - the exact unit found in your MS6. You obviously need to do a big turbo swap for that so the K04 can find its rightful place in the VW. Now you're not dumping any money in the car.

Mods please namechange forums poster "Somewhat Heroic" to "Mostly Heroic" tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

some texas redneck posted:

gently caress it. Ordered a replacement for pickup at Wal-Mart tomorrow, and I ordered a 50 pack of strips from Amazon that should be here Monday. That's $35 (... plus a replacement cable, so add $5) I really didn't want to spend, but whatever..

So I found the meter behind my headboard 45 minutes after ordering. Cancelled both orders. Got a text from WalMart 8 hours later saying it was ready. Couldn't reach the store on the phone (I'd just get told I was being transferred to that dept, then sit on hold for 20+ minutes), calling the walmart.com call center always got a "You're next in queue, your estimated wait time is: 35 minutes", so I went to the store.

They said they have an absolute no returns policy on diabetic supplies, and since it was already paid for, their point of sale considered it as "sold". Even got the store manager involved, she couldn't override it on the point of sale. :sigh: Everyone was extremely polite and apologetic about it (honestly the best customer service I've ever had at a Wal-Mart, even if I didn't get my way), at least, but the meter never even entered my hands - the site to store guy walked it over to customer service, and actually argued with the store manager about it for me (it was a local pick, it wasn't shipped, so it'd just be a matter of returning it to their inventory).

Sent a polite, but annoyed, email to walmart.com over it, highlighting the fact that I had cancelled my order less than an hour after placing it (it was placed at 1:52am, I doubt they have people picking local orders at that time), and that I had gotten an email stating the cancellation was sucessful. They refunded the purchase price and told me to keep the meter. I don't WANT the meter, I don't need it, I found mine damnit.

So I guess if anybody wants a Bayer Contour Next USB that's still factory sealed and has an expiration date of 2019, let me know... pretty sure it even includes a handful of lancets, but you're on your own for strips (Amazon is next to dirt cheap). Syncs with the free Glooko android app if you drop $3 on a USB OTG cable. I guess worst case I have a spare.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

Edit: Also just had a huge fight with the girlfriend because of her dead mother again. One of my friends held her boyfriend in her arms as he died and my girlfriend said "At least she got to say goodbye." As if saying goodbye was anywhere on her mind when the love of her life was dying in the bed they shared.

Yes, because your girfriend's grief about her dead mother should follow your made-up rules of appropriateness.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

The Locator posted:

Jeez.. I've lived here all my life and I never knew that poo poo was going on. I wonder if this type of servicing is why so many cities in the valley have dumped the private ambulance services entirely and included that service into the fire departments.

Do the S/W guys that work out of the Glendale FD stations and run trucks in Glendale FD paint schemes still make the same money as the rural guys, or are they getting Glendale FD pay scales by contract?

They make a tiny bit more (.75 an hour more, IIRC) for being with fire specifically (where there's a PMT/SW EMT driver, but a firefighter medic, and that's only in Chandler), but they're not under the fire contract. And any of the 911-specific units that aren't with the fire department (Peoria, for example) makes the normal PMT pay.

Let me put it this way: PMT/SW has gotten so bad in the last four months since the switchover that Phoenix Fire has actually started doing dedicated interfacility rides.

To those not "in the know," this may not sound serious, but let me tell you that it's loving serious. PFD would never "stoop" to doing IFT dedicated trucks.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Gotta love carrying around an empty coffee cup and a roll of TP with you all day at work to hawk loogies and blow your nose.

Think my boss might be returning our scrap from this job soon. A few hundred pounds of CAT6 split 4 ways should help me with the two tires I am ordering on Wednesday.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Today is my wife's first day "on the wards", seeing patients as a medical student. She probably won't be in a position to accidentally kill anyone, but it's like a tiny sword of Damocles hanging over our heads.

That said, I'm super excited to hear how her first day goes. We were playing with her beeper last night.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

We were playing with her beeper last night.

First time I've heard this expression.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
I've mentioned in other posts how my landlord offered to take a look at my (70K mi.) '95 Nissan p/u lifters sometime after he heard their compelling song. He's hella-busy (anesthesiologist) most of the time, so I'm not sure this will happen. He's extraordinarily capable in everything I've seen him work on: building a kitchen, appliance repair, home wiring, etc. Hell, he has even built a working airplane. Anytime we've worked on home stuff together, he explains everything he's doing and I learn a great deal while poo poo gets fixed/made awesome. Absolutely priceless as a landlord.

e/n: I'm a recovering alcoholic (2.25 years) and he and his wife let me take this apartment (second story unit carved out of a large, old, Federal Style house) three months after I got out of jail on shock probation for DUI 3 where I served four months of a one-year sentence. Basically had to start 90% of my life over. What started out as filling in as a receptionist at the counseling center where I attended outpatient treatment has turned into an paid internship as a substance abuse educator and secretary. I'm on the path to Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor (CADC) license and am a state-certified DUI Instructor for first-time offenders. Planning to be a DUI Assessor after training in July. All of this done with two years of no drivers license and the past 4+ months on a hardship license that allows me to drive to work. Full privileges will be restored in late January of 2016.

All of that to explain why truck repairs and the like are an issue right now: I don't have a good work area (the street) and can't just drive anywhere for minor stuff. I don't think the lifters will be merely an adjustment (don't think mine can be) and if it's just noise right now, I'll let it slide. Got some Lucas to add to the oil once it's less than full and that may help. I'd like to do a coolant flush and check the truck over before July (in anticipation that I can get my hardship amended to drive myself ~300 mi. to Assessor training.) So... I'm hoping my landlord can lend his garage and expertise in this endeavor.

Dude probably has everything he could want/use and I'm not down for buying beer/liquor (he's not much, if anything, of a drinker and has access to any mood-altering substance he wants, I'm sure.) He and his wife are energy- and environmentally-conscious and try to minimize clutter.

TL/DR: What non-booze gift do I bring this man for garage/wrench time? Already planning on making a delicious food. What to give the man who (probably) already has everything? (He's looking into getting a Tesla.) Any handy expendables, awesome storage items, or other cool things you'd bring in this situation? Bonus points if the wife likes it, too.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Are there any online banks better than Ally? I was gonna open a savings account with them this payday and chuck $50 every week in there.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Arriviste posted:

TL/DR: What non-booze gift do I bring this man for garage/wrench time?

The delicious food is an awesome step - but really, it wouldn't hurt to straight up ask either. Just let him know how much you appreciate his efforts and help and ask what can you do to show that appreciation.

Also - re: E/N - that's awesome man. Keep up the good work.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Are there any online banks better than Ally? I was gonna open a savings account with them this payday and chuck $50 every week in there.

Ally sucks enormous chode. Check out Simple.com.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

Ally sucks enormous chode. Check out Simple.com.

What is the interest rate on their savings accounts? Basically wanna transfer a little money from my Citizens Bank account every week into this one and never spend it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
My credit union only offers 0.1% on their savings account, but 2.01% on their checking.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Mr. Regular got his hands on an NSX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6FDPS-78WU

I liked the NSX before but god drat does he make it look good here. :swoon: Good news is they only cost $25,000 in Japan (like I'll ever have that much money to spend :smith:)

Also I've somehow been crowned defacto car guy at my new job and given all the privileges that come with it, like my boss calling me on my day off to see if I'm free to help her friend order car parts on the internet :psyduck:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Arriviste posted:

I've mentioned in other posts how my landlord offered to take a look at my (70K mi.) '95 Nissan p/u lifters sometime after he heard their compelling song. He's hella-busy (anesthesiologist) most of the time, so I'm not sure this will happen. He's extraordinarily capable in everything I've seen him work on: building a kitchen, appliance repair, home wiring, etc. Hell, he has even built a working airplane. Anytime we've worked on home stuff together, he explains everything he's doing and I learn a great deal while poo poo gets fixed/made awesome. Absolutely priceless as a landlord.

e/n: I'm a recovering alcoholic (2.25 years) and he and his wife let me take this apartment (second story unit carved out of a large, old, Federal Style house) three months after I got out of jail on shock probation for DUI 3 where I served four months of a one-year sentence. Basically had to start 90% of my life over. What started out as filling in as a receptionist at the counseling center where I attended outpatient treatment has turned into an paid internship as a substance abuse educator and secretary. I'm on the path to Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor (CADC) license and am a state-certified DUI Instructor for first-time offenders. Planning to be a DUI Assessor after training in July. All of this done with two years of no drivers license and the past 4+ months on a hardship license that allows me to drive to work. Full privileges will be restored in late January of 2016.

All of that to explain why truck repairs and the like are an issue right now: I don't have a good work area (the street) and can't just drive anywhere for minor stuff. I don't think the lifters will be merely an adjustment (don't think mine can be) and if it's just noise right now, I'll let it slide. Got some Lucas to add to the oil once it's less than full and that may help. I'd like to do a coolant flush and check the truck over before July (in anticipation that I can get my hardship amended to drive myself ~300 mi. to Assessor training.) So... I'm hoping my landlord can lend his garage and expertise in this endeavor.

Dude probably has everything he could want/use and I'm not down for buying beer/liquor (he's not much, if anything, of a drinker and has access to any mood-altering substance he wants, I'm sure.) He and his wife are energy- and environmentally-conscious and try to minimize clutter.

TL/DR: What non-booze gift do I bring this man for garage/wrench time? Already planning on making a delicious food. What to give the man who (probably) already has everything? (He's looking into getting a Tesla.) Any handy expendables, awesome storage items, or other cool things you'd bring in this situation? Bonus points if the wife likes it, too.

That is an awesome story, man. Love to hear about people doing well.

As far as your landlord goes? To me, nothing goes further than a handwritten letter of thanks. As you said, dude likely has everything he needs, but the value of simply saying "Thank you" goes a looooong way. Perhaps making some sort of donation to their favorite charity in their name and aforementioned letter? If you don't know what charities they support, find one that sounds like it might be in their wheelhouse that they may support? It doesn't have to be a big donation...10 bucks, 50 bucks...whatever you can spare.

The letter doesn't need to be long; just simply thank you for your support from someone that needed a hand. And if there's any way you can repay the generosity and compassion they've shown, whether to them directly or by paying it forward, please let you know.

Tide fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 4, 2015

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

Also I've somehow been crowned defacto car guy at my new job and given all the privileges that come with it, like my boss calling me on my day off to see if I'm free to help her friend order car parts on the internet :psyduck:

Is her friend hot? :pervert:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

poo poo.

If it makes you feel better, my 98 TDI has blown its exhaust side oil seal on the turbo, and I have to replace it as well.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Happy monday!

Friend who I helped find a safe reliable car for just had the front end cleaved off by an uninsured drunk driver :toot:

Car was parked on a main street, police left a note on her car.

She has comprehensive and it's getting towed to a good shop, just is very lovely.

edit: AAA just picked it up. front toe is bad, gonna need a control arm or tie rods + alignment, 300+ dollars just got stacked on.

Slow is Fast fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 4, 2015

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Super Aggro Crag posted:

What is the interest rate on their savings accounts? Basically wanna transfer a little money from my Citizens Bank account every week into this one and never spend it.

Oh, shoot. Ignore Simple then. Their thing is they don't have any financial products, only checking accounts.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I have a Barclays savings account.

The interest is 1.00%, and if you don't need the money I suppose it's alright.

They take forever to get you set up with direct transfers, and each transfer you make will probably take 3 business days to actually complete. That's my only gripe so far.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

RillAkBea posted:

I liked the NSX before but god drat does he make it look good here. :swoon: Good news is they only cost $25,000 in Japan (like I'll ever have that much money to spend :smith:)

I want one so bad

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Slow is Fast posted:

Happy monday!

Friend who I helped find a safe reliable car for just had the front end cleaved off by an uninsured drunk driver :toot:

She has comprehensive and it's getting towed to a good shop, just is very lovely.

edit: AAA just picked it up. front toe is bad, gonna need a control arm or tie rods + alignment, 300+ dollars just got stacked on.

Not what I ever want to wake up to. Looks very fixable to my untrained eye.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Slow is Fast posted:

Happy monday!

Oh man, I would be apocalyptically pissed. This is basically my worst street-parking fear.

Fixable, but sweet Jesus just let me at this motherfucker in the drunk tank for an hour.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

RillAkBea posted:

I always dream about buying an NSX, right up until I realize I could get an 80s 911 or a VIper GTS for the same money.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

I always dream about buying an NSX, right up until I realize I could get an 80s 911 or a VIper GTS for the same money.

Yeah but why would you want one of those over an NSX :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

Yes, because your girfriend's grief about her dead mother should follow your made-up rules of appropriateness.

Her mother was a drunk and prescription pill addict who tried to kill herself 4 times in two years. I'm just a bit worn out because every time someone in our lives suffers a loss my girlfriend goes over the same "they got to say goodbye" speech. It is very exhausting.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Arriviste posted:

First, congrats on getting yourself into a better place. That's amazing, and I hope you do well!
As to thanking him - I'll parrot other people. A nice thank-you letter. Make them a meal. Donate to a charity. Ask what volunteer organizations he's associated with and put in some hours there as a thank you. My grandfather helped a few people out (not quite in the same way, but pulled some people out of deep ruts in their lives), and during one of his few lucid moments, he said that the most meaningful thanks he got was just a sincere, heart-felt handshake with a thank you. Gestures don't need to be big when they are sincere.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Her mother was a drunk and prescription pill addict who tried to kill herself 4 times in two years. I'm just a bit worn out because every time someone in our lives suffers a loss my girlfriend goes over the same "they got to say goodbye" speech. It is very exhausting.

Honestly idk how you would be able to contain your eyes from them rolling so hard

no offense but your gf sounds like a huge drama queen

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Arriviste posted:

Congrats on your sobriety.

Honestly, I've done a lot of work for others, and the thing I like most is when people say "hey I really appreciate it, what can I do for you, cash, shop item, throw some time at one of your projects".

Basically acknowledge that my skills/services are worthwhile and return the favor with time, money, supplies. Anything to show you value his time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tusen Takk posted:

Honestly idk how you would be able to contain your eyes from them rolling so hard

It absolutely only comes up when its about her mother. Her mother was a terrible train wreck of person and I get that we want to remember our lost loved ones in a positive way but sometimes I want to get up and scream how her mom stole from us and everyone who ever gave her a chance.

It's just very frustrating how she gets over it. I had a friend leave personalized suicide notes to a dozen people and she seems to think that was me being able to say goodbye to that dude.

In every other aspect of life she runs from drama if possible, her mothers memory is the exception.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nodoze posted:

Yeah but why would you want one of those over an NSX :colbert:

Because neither of them is a tarted up Accord.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Motronic posted:

How dare you

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Motronic posted:

:vince:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Allergies are in full effect. Woke up with a chest full of lung butter and have been hacking it up all day. Thank god for Mucinex and Airborne.

Airborne doesn't work but those symptoms don't sound like allergies. your mucus should be thin and watery and not thick enough to require mucinex (ps dont use that stuff for extended periods)

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Rhyno posted:

Ugh. Stuff like this makes me want to take off the compassion hat and wear the real-talk one: "Say goodbye? She gave you four other chances!" (It's hard work for me to not go into this mode with clients all the time.)

Sounds like gf hasn't finished dealing with any culpability she's placed on herself. (Lifehack: you really can't when someone else's addictions are involved, IME, except grieve, work hard to overcome obsessions about what could have been done, and become aware of subconscious responses to blame and shame.) It's so hard to watch someone (wrongfully) compare their situation to another's and totally miss the point about their own while not making any progress.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

Airborne doesn't work but those symptoms don't sound like allergies. your mucus should be thin and watery and not thick enough to require mucinex (ps dont use that stuff for extended periods)

IDK I always get this sick every spring. Usually I hawk up yellow loogies for a few weeks and go back to normal. I only go to the doctor for it anymore if it turns green.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Thanks to everyone who responded to my question about how to show appreciation to my landlord with suggestions (and congrats.) I'm a lucky person in so many ways.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
FYI, the best non-booze gift is a pair of bone in rib-eyes, at least 2in thick. Prime, from a good butcher, ideally dry aged.
gently caress yeah. Now I'm hungry.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Tusen Takk posted:

It sounds more like his Girlfriend had totally disconnected from her mother due to her issues in order to preserve her own sanity and does not grasp the issues with other people's connection to their mother.

Which is perfectly understandable if you realize your mother/father/etc. is basically too far gone to save and want to save yourself the heartache of the coming slide into nothingness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

It sounds more like his Girlfriend had totally disconnected from her mother due to her issues in order to preserve her own sanity and does not grasp the issues with other people's connection to their mother.

Which is perfectly understandable if you realize your mother/father/etc. is basically too far gone to save and want to save yourself the heartache of the coming slide into nothingness.

that is a much better hypothesis

• Locked thread